Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Changes and Volt Proto skin

eksby

First off, I'm glad to see that DE is finally giving another look to Volt. I want to know though, does the change to Volt mean picking up his shield will no longer drain energy? Because honestly, a speed reduction AND an energy drain that drains more when you move faster doesn't exactly mesh well with the fact that Volt is kind of all about that SPEED. Basically what happens right now is: 

1. Pick up shield
  2. Cast Speed because you slow down by picking up the shield
  3. Lose all energy from moving because of the energy drain

And that's why I never pick up the shield, because it's kind of not worth it to pick up at the moment. The shield itself only blocks from the front so you're still vulnerable from the sides, back, and top. Picking up the shield is not OP in the slightest. Can the energy drain on picking up shield please be completely removed? Honestly, removing the speed reduction would be amazing too (and not make him OP at all either...I've never heard anyone say Volt is OP) but at the very least please remove the energy drain?

Another thing, I'm glad his 4 can be cast in air now and DE is looking at the damage, but most importantly, can his 4 please expand based on duration like Molecular Prime and Polarize? Right now it expands based on range, which directly conflicts with the fact that most of his abilities require duration and so most people don't use range mods on him. The problem with Volt right now is his abilities do not synergize well and instead conflict with each other. Either you build for speed and his shield, or you build for his 4. There's no way to build for all of his abilities at once like Gara or Harrow. I pretty much never use his 4 because it's practically useless for me since I build mainly for his 2 and 3. 

Volt is my favorite frame, and it would make me and other Volt-lovers extremely happy if these changes were implemented. It's simply QoL stuff, they will just make him nicer to play as. None of these changes will make Volt OP either, if that's a concern. I've not heard anyone say he's OP, and to be honest I really rarely see people play as him, besides newbies. Please consider these QoL changes!

tl;dr: 

• Energy drain and speed reduction actively discourage use of picking up the shield, because casting speed (because of the speed reduction) makes you lose all your energy when moving.
  • Please remove energy drain and speed reduction on picking up shield! (At least energy drain, if can only pick one)
  • His 4 conflicts with his 2 and 3 because of it being range-based rather than duration-based. Please consider tying 4 expansion rate to duration rather than range (like MP and Polarize). 
  • Volt isn't OP and these changes won't make him OP (picking up shield still makes you vulnerable from the sides/top, his 4 is not ideal unless you specifically build for it and ignore his 2,3)!

But then again everybody is complaining about synergizing cause of the new frames. Such as Hydroid should have had at least 50% more damage added to his abilitys and the range on tentacle swarm not nerfed.

Volt is fine for what niche he fills. Meanwhile there are other frames that are in quite literal desperate need of actual attention. Besides unless they rework volt entirely ((Which they already said they won't do for any frame)) I don't see how you could make him good at all due to his abilitys in general

Electric Shield might not be OP with those changes but you might be missing the point of the massive energy drain from DE's point of view. Currently, picking up electric shield grants these bonuses:

- Frontal damage immunity, some exceptions may occur

- You can aim the shield to defend yourself 

- An always on damage/crit multiplier boost since the shield is always in front of you

- A damage effect on enemies right in front of you when the shield is electrified, which has synergy with melee

- And you can do this while being mobile, very mobile when speed is on

These are some pretty good bonuses. Without the current drawbacks there would never be a reason to not have a shield picked up. Right now there's at least a reason to think about whether you pick the shield up or not. You also have to think before going rambo with the shield. There's a time and a place for that. You can also stay still and become a turret, or just re-position the shield with minimal drain. So keep in mind that this is more than a QoL change you are asking for.

Volt is an extremely powerful warframe with great utility. I personally use a build that makes all of his powers effective. I don't think it's too hard right now. So I think you should hold off on this feedback until we actually know what DE want to do with volt. But that's just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, eksby said:

can his 4 please expand based on duration like Molecular Prime and Polarize? Right now it expands based on range, which directly conflicts with the fact that most of his abilities require duration and so most people don't use range mods on him.

I think that's exactly why they made it expand based on range. I don't think they wanted players to pretty much be able to benefit so much from just 1 single stat. Also, there are a few abilities that travel in a wave but scale best on the range stat, Banshee's Sonar and Loki's Disarm being the 2 that pop into mind, and I think DE thought Discharge fit into that kind of wave ability. Of course, what those abilities lack that Discharge, and also MPrime and Polarize, has is that there's a secondary effect that does benefit off of the range stat. They probably decided that if Discharge's aoe was based on duration, that stat was just going to be way too beneficial. Especially when you consider that the less range a Volt build has, the longer their stun technically is because an enemy will be less likely to get shocked by nearby Teslas which build towards the stun cap.

18 minutes ago, Whitestrake0 said:

I think many people ignore the fact that his shield gives him a rather large damage boost that's basically mobile when he picks it up.

Other frames such as Nova's MP, Rhino's roar, Harrow's critboost, etc also give a rather large mobile damage boost that is also given to all other players...why does Volt's damage-boost-to-self warrant such a high energy drain then, in comparison? 

those critboosts don't make the frame invulnerable while the boosts are on, and 2 are ults for 100 nrg.

It also becomes very abusable if they didn't do it. Have you tried a max efficiency volt + decent crit secondary + Transistor shield? If the drain just feels "normal" then there's there's the balance point.

I use volt a lot and I don't really pick up the shield that much. I just throw down a new one after a while.

Edited by TonyWong

6 minutes ago, TonyWong said:

those critboosts don't make the frame invulnerable while the boosts are on, and 2 are ults for 100 nrg.

It also becomes very abusable if they didn't do it. Have you tried a max efficiency volt + decent crit secondary + Transistor shield? If the drain just feels "normal" then there's there's the balance point.

I use volt a lot and I don't really pick up the shield that much. I just throw down a new one after a while.

Volt is also not made invulnerable with the boost on when he picks up the shield. Enemies can still shoot him from the side. It's honestly easier to just throw down the shield in a circle around yourself than to pick it up if you want to be invulnerable. 

My point is, there is literally no reason for us to pick up the shield at the moment. Throwing shields down is better for both protection and energy usage, so why put the feature to pick it up in the first place if there's no incentive to do it?

30 minutes ago, Halisi said:

Electric Shield might not be OP with those changes but you might be missing the point of the massive energy drain from DE's point of view. Currently, picking up electric shield grants these bonuses:

- An always on damage/crit multiplier boost since the shield is always in front of you

- A damage effect on enemies right in front of you when the shield is electrified, which has synergy with melee

These are some pretty good bonuses. Without the current drawbacks there would never be a reason to not have a shield picked up. Right now there's at least a reason to think about whether you pick the shield up or not. You also have to think before going rambo with the shield. There's a time and a place for that. You can also stay still and become a turret, or just re-position the shield with minimal drain. So keep in mind that this is more than a QoL change you are asking for.

Volt is an extremely powerful warframe with great utility. I personally use a build that makes all of his powers effective. I don't think it's too hard right now. So I think you should hold off on this feedback until we actually know what DE want to do with volt. But that's just my opinion.

Sure, I'll agree those are some good bonuses. However, the problem with the shield pick-up at the moment is that there is really no reason to pick it up, since plopping down a shield in front of you does exactly the same thing, without the added speed reduction and energy drain. If you want to move to a different spot, then just plop down another shield. Other frames have all these great abilities that don't require you to "think before going rambo with their abilities". Why don't they get drawbacks but Volt does? I'm pretty sure no one is going to argue that Volt is super overpowered and should be nerfed here. Why can't Volt be brought up to par with the other frames like Nova/Gara/Octavia? 

Either way, while you say Volt is "extremely powerful", I would say that he's pretty good at what he does (which is confusing what he does in the first place, because he doesn't exactly have anything in particular that he's really good for overall), but he's not good enough that people actually want to play as him besides niche situations where you want to blaze through a mission like capture, or to boost Eidolon shield stripping by putting his shield down for the operators. 

All I want is a QoL change wher eif you pick up your shield with your primary weapon out, it automatically switches you back to the last weapon you had out before you picked up the shield...
This is bugging me so much considering I usually just use the shield with a primary rifle anyways.

I don't play Volt that much, but I can see a LOT of players choosing him in missions. 1 thing I'd be happy to see (well, actually 2):

his Speed can be pretty annoying to other players in the squad. It would be quite nice IMO if the skill button pressed once give speed to the user only, and holding it gives it to the user and the squad as well.

Also, his 4 while quite useful in CCing rooms, can be also quite annoying cause it renders enemies invulnerable to finishers. Rhino's Stomp or Nezha's "impale-them-in-the-air" skills not doing this. I think this'd also be nice to be looked at. (btw it's the same thing with Ember's 4 as well, as can't do finishers on enemies affected by it)

Edited by TBone142

Since the removal of Zenuriks energy drip he's a lot more annoying to use the shield as a riot shield, I'd also really love to use its augment, but the drain on other players is just too insane for anyone to bother, which is sad because a volt riot squad sounds like a fun idea.

11 hours ago, eksby said:

It's simply QoL stuff, they will just make him nicer to play as.

People need to understand what "QoL" means. A "Quality of Life" change is a change that makes something more convenient or user-friendly, but not stronger or weaker. If Volt was holding his Primary weapon before picking up an Electric Shield, having him switch back to his primary after dropping the shield is a quality of life change. It's a change that makes repositioning the shield more convenient, but not weaker or stronger. Changing Nekros' Desecrate so players don't need to spam the button all the time is a QoL change. It doesn't make Nekros get extra loot, it just helps a Nekros player by allowing them to get that loot without standing around mashing the button.

Asking for a removal of the energy drain on moving with Electric Shield is not a QoL, it's a buff. It provides Volt better energy economy and makes him flat-out better. It's a well-deserved and justified buff, but it is a buff, not a QoL.

13 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

People need to understand what "QoL" means. A "Quality of Life" change is a change that makes something more convenient or user-friendly, but not stronger or weaker. If Volt was holding his Primary weapon before picking up an Electric Shield, having him switch back to his primary after dropping the shield is a quality of life change. It's a change that makes repositioning the shield more convenient, but not weaker or stronger. Changing Nekros' Desecrate so players don't need to spam the button all the time is a QoL change. It doesn't make Nekros get extra loot, it just helps a Nekros player by allowing them to get that loot without standing around mashing the button.

Asking for a removal of the energy drain on moving with Electric Shield is not a QoL, it's a buff. It provides Volt better energy economy and makes him flat-out better. It's a well-deserved and justified buff, but it is a buff, not a QoL.

Whoops, you're right. Meant buff, not QoL.

Picking up shield without energy drain will not be OP but considering the bonuses picking up the shield provides,

On 11/30/2017 at 12:48 AM, Halisi said:

I say that the best thing for DE to do is make the energy 0.5 per second that shield is picked up instead of the current 1.0 energy drain.