The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A "Report Player" Option was Added

Voltage

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I understand that, but if someone calls me by the N-word (it has happened multiple times) that's not just someone having a bad day.  That they decided to tear into someone might have been part of that, but using that specific language is something else, something more, and something that we can't put up with.

It's not as subjective as you'd like to pretend.  Calling someone the N-word (just to use an example) is not subjective in the least.  Also, "offensive" is seen as being in the eye of the beholder - even in law.  Yeah, look it up.

Are you really unable to speak with other people without using offensive slurs?  And, you say I'm the immature one here?

There's a big difference in being racist and saying a swear word... Racism is a support matter.. Understand now? Subjective?... Get it?

5 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

It's not as subjective as you'd like to pretend.  Calling someone the N-word (just to use an example) is not subjective in the least.  

I'm sorry. But I had to comment on this. Listen to any rap song ever. The N-word is absolutely subjective as far as "offensive" is concerned.

9 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Good point, still... I think you and I can say that we can count this situation with the fingers of one hand in the Warframe community, right? You can tell them to be more polite or even show them how (in proper ways), but don't spend all the energy on that because you will fall on their traps too, Red.

What traps would those be?  Just curious.

It has happened to me some amount of times I can count on one hand, but I'm only one person.  And, maybe Xbox One is more toxic than the PC or PS4 community, I don't know.

9 minutes ago, TBH_Urzo said:

There's a big difference in being racist and saying a swear word... Racism is a support matter.. Understand now? Subjective?... Get it?

There is a big difference, and I've hinted at that multiple times in this thread (were you not paying attention)?  I don't care if someone drops an F-bomb (although DE does, so they scan for it).  I do care if someone is being derogatory and using slurs.  That has nothing to do with subjectivity.  Get it?

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

What traps would those be?  Just curious.

Getting into a fight with someone because that person won't concede and will keep insulting other players through the whole game... Then you can ignore, you can keep fighting and see him reason or get tired and you start feeling like that person.

Why I'm telling you this? I have been in the position of being a malicious C*** and I'm not ashamed of using bad words. I have been a bad player in another game (LoL) and I know that game showed me how much of a @(*()$ scumbag I can be... but I realized that won't get me anywhere and I changed for the good. Now I support players, I try to make them feel comfortable and help at any given moment.
Warframe showed me that the community counts and its helluva' amazing... I played in WoW too and they got an amazing group too! When I quit playing LoL (years ago) I feel way better, I could see my mistakes and still I've never been banned because even when I may have been a raging asshat, I knew when I was going too far.

Sorry for the blunt words, Red... but I hope that you can understand that I see this from both points, as a player that used a lot of profanities back in the day to what I'm right now... and I'm @(*()$ proud of who I am as a person in all aspects in my life. :3

1 minute ago, Undirys said:

Sorry for the blunt words, Red... but I hope that you can understand that I see this from both points, as a player that used a lot of profanities back in the day to what I'm right now... and I'm @(*()$ proud of who I am as a person in all aspects in my life. :3

Again, it's not about profanity, it's about words that are derogatory in specific ways.  Drop an F-bomb, and I won't care.  Drop an N-bomb and I definitely care.  There's a big difference.

Just now, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Again, it's not about profanity, it's about words that are derogatory in specific ways.  Drop an F-bomb, and I won't care.  Drop an N-bomb and I definitely care.  There's a big difference.

Check LoL community and your PoV will change, but hey... they got good people too. Even I was a good person at first, but goddamn they get into your nerves with every single word. Oh well, still... this has been a most amazing conversation in the whole day, Red. :3

5 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Check LoL community and your PoV will change, but hey... they got good people too. Even I was a good person at first, but goddamn they get into your nerves with every single word. Oh well, still... this has been a most amazing conversation in the whole day, Red. :3

Thank you, and same to you.

16 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Context doesn't change the internal states of the person.  Try again.  We've already had this discussion.

Yes, we did, and it never concluded. I have no idea what you mean by "internal states of the person". However, a word will either be "objectively" offensive, or it will not. If it can be used in one situation without consequence, but not in another, then that word is "subjectively" offensive.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:13 PM, --Q--Voltage said:

You can now report players from chat:

unknown.png

Can we get a selection for Leeching too? Pretty please?

People will use this for none of the above and flood the system, I hope there handing out Bans for one you tries to use to report Leeching or anything Not covered.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:23 PM, Rentix said:

Good addition to features.
With Warframes player base it might start collecting dust.

My initial reaction was: we must play different games, because that is far from my experience.

Then I realized you play on PC and I play on PS4.  It all makes sense now!

Have you already realized that people will abuse this system?  Good.  But trust me, DE realized this loooong before they implemented the system.  Which means that when they designed it, they were taking the inevitable abuse of the system into account.  Give them some credit.

We can't see what happens after we actually choose to report someone, but whatever is happening behind the scenes is likely designed with two goals in mind: identifying legitimate reports, and identifying false reports.  Now, this system won't be perfect.  When in doubt, the system probably errs on not punishing whoever was reported.

Here's an example of how the system probably works:

• When you report someone, it adds a report to their account, perhaps with an automatically saved screenshot or a short video.  This single report does nothing; it just sits there, maybe for up to a year before it's deleted.
  • When you report someone, it also adds a report to your account.  They're keeping track of the fact that you reported someone.  This report has a link to the same details and videos above.  Like the above, it just sits there.
  • When a player has been reported a certain number of times within a certain amount of time, a real DE employee steps in.  At this time, they actually review the data that's been saved with these reports.  They'll look at the details and try to decide whether there's enough evidence to view these reports as legitimate.  Do the screencaps verify a breach of Warframe policy?  How often is this player reported, for what, and by who?  What are the reporting habits of the players who reported this player?  There are a lot of details to go through, but DE will consider those reported innocent until the evidence really stacks up in the other direction.

There is likely more to it than that, but these are the broad strokes.  You can try to abuse a system like this, but it's specifically designed to make abuse difficult, because real people can generally see through that kind of stuff.  A system like this can even identify those who try to abuse it, if DE is so inclined.

But it's important to remember that the players don't actually wield any direct power, because the report button itself doesn't do anything bad to a reported player.  All it does is ask DE to take a look, and if you haven't done anything wrong, they won't find any reason to punish you.

P.S. DE is unlikely to tell anyone how their system works behind the scenes, because knowing their algorithms would make it easier to abuse.

Edited by (PS4)Unstar
clarity

3 hours ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Yes, we did, and it never concluded. I have no idea what you mean by "internal states of the person". However, a word will either be "objectively" offensive, or it will not. If it can be used in one situation without consequence, but not in another, then that word is "subjectively" offensive.

That's not what subjective means.

Let's take an example.  Let's say someone goes to a neo-nazi rally carrying a sign that has a swastika on it.  That particular symbol is offensive and we recognize that right away.  Now, let's say someone else comes with a sign that has a swastika that also has a circle around it and a line through it.  The symbol is still offensive, but the context shows us what the message behind the symbol is.

Either way, you're arguing against a straw man.  I said that offense is subjective to some degree (you seem to be arguing that I said it's always objective).  I said it's more objective than the person I was talking to was giving it credit.  I also said that it's in the eye of the beholder.  Still, my example above should clear things up, if you are going to actually listen and not just argue with me as you tend to do.

21 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

That's not what subjective means.

Let's take an example.  Let's say someone goes to a neo-nazi rally carrying a sign that has a swastika on it.  That particular symbol is offensive and we recognize that right away.  Now, let's say someone else comes with a sign that has a swastika that also has a circle around it and a line through it.  The symbol is still offensive, but the context shows us what the message behind the symbol is.

Either way, you're arguing against a straw man.  I said that offense is subjective to some degree (you seem to be arguing that I said it's always objective).  I said it's more objective than the person I was talking to was giving it credit.  I also said that it's in the eye of the beholder.  Still, my example above should clear things up, if you are going to actually listen and not just argue with me as you tend to do.

You're both on console though 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 5:22 PM, zNightWolfz said:

If you report anyone for anything you should have to provide proof..That alone will make this system work better proof or it didn't happen simple ..

This.

The last thing we need is a system that can be abused by bitter and/or vindictive players