Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas is bad

StanleyStanson

For anyone that says atlas just needs a few tweaks, take him into sorties, take him into mot, there's plenty of enemies to keep his rubble up, it just doesn't work. the amount of health you get, the energy cost to get actual decent drops of rubble, and just the entire aspect of it being a bonus to armor, something that atlas gets close to the max befroe diminishing returns anyway with just steel fiber. they can tweak it all they want but it. is. not. going to be viable. Anyone that says atlas is fun to play or their new favorite frame won't want to touch him a week after DE finalizes the rubble mechanic and does their "tweaking". This is a change for atlas, something he needs desperately, but this change isn't it. All i tried to do with my guide is voice my opinion and the opinion of other long time atlas players that I've seen floating around the forums.

4 minutes ago, ---UMBRA--- said:

Atlas is bad? Really? After rework atlas destroing 155lvl enemy mostly by onepunch if you use correct atlas and melee build.

it was supposed to be a clickbaity title to draw people into the post, atlas himself isn't bad, its the rubble system. he's always been known as the one punch frame for a reason. I still love atlas as a frame but i doubt i will be using him as much as i did before the rework now, since i did have the old petrify as a main point of my survivability (aside from the invincibility given by his 1).

Edited by StanleyStanson

17 минут назад, StanleyStanson сказал:

it was supposed to be a clickbaity title to draw people into the post, atlas himself isn't bad, its the rubble system. he's always been known as the one punch frame for a reason. I still love atlas as a frame but i doubt i will be using him as much as i did before the rework now, since i did have the old petrify as a main point of my survivability (aside from the invincibility given by his 1).

Before rework I used only atlas 1 ability. After rework 3 and 1 ability. Yes not much changes but most of frames still have unused abilities and people did not start the topic (such as wukong is bad, nezha is bad, nyx is bad,  frost is bad, harrow is bad, inaros is bad and etc). 

Edited by ---UMBRA---

4 minutes ago, ---UMBRA--- said:

Before rework I used only atlas 1 ability. After rework 3 and 1 ability. Yes not much changes but most of frames still have unused abilities and people did not start the topic such (as wukong is bad, nezha is bad, nyx is bad,  frost is bad, harrow is bad, inaros is bad and etc). 

before the rework i used all of his abilities, even his rock wall though sparingly, now when i play him i can only find myself using the 3 because anything else would be a waste of energy. hes moved into the same vein as nidus for me except a lot less fun to use.

and yes the title is misleading but i figured it would be the best way for my post to get viewed, it worked on you didn't it?

Edited by StanleyStanson

2 минуты назад, StanleyStanson сказал:

before the rework i used all of his abilities, even his rock wall though sparingly, now when i play him i can only find myself using the 3 because anything else would be a waste of energy. hes moved into the same vein as nidus for me except a lot less fun to use.

arcane energize solve this problem very well

2 minutes ago, RubbleRain said:

As can be seen from my profile picture, Atlas is easily my favorite Warframe, and I happened to enjoy every one of his skills. I was incredibly excited for the new rubble mechanic, and am so far disappointed. In fact I wholeheartedly agree with the OP that old petrify was better. It was DIRT CHEAP. New petrify is far too expensive. 75 energy for a situational cc that gives minimal benefits to Atlas's actual survivability is not a good deal, and the buffs it gives to his 2 and 4 should be switched. Tectonics goes down quick enough during high levels for a heal to be useful, meanwhile Rumblers might as well be based solely on duration they're so immortal.

as far as i've tested, rubble gives very little survivability. new petrify "works" if you build for max range and efficiency while nuking your damage and duration, but i could easily find myself lasting longer in harder missions with OG atlas. (i did not change my pfp for this post, just a happy coincidence) 

I think he is getting there just needs some tweaking. My main issues are:

1. Energy cost of Petrify needs to be reduced. You have to run with Zenurik, use pizzas, or rare arcanes, to make using Petrify + Landslide combo viable.

2. Rock armour needs to decay slower or be reduced by damage taken. This is tied to point one, if that doesn't change then this does, but if you can spam petrify + LS combo then this is less of an issue.

3. Landslide should trigger Pack Leader. Considering you will be using LS most of the time and it is melee, would be nice if this triggered the mod.

4. Tectonics I don't use, just seems a waste of energy at the mo. There have been some good suggestions in this thread, hopefully that can get tweaked.

One thing I would love to see is changing Land Slide from a cast ability into an excalted style weapon, so you toggle it on/off and it slowly drains energy, and use your normal melee key to use it. The main reason for wanting this is to use your normal melee key rather then the 1 key or whatever you have assigned. I just find combat a bit clunky when you need to use the 1 key a lot. All my mouse buttons are assigned to other stuff, but regardless our muscle memory for melee is kinda set in stone lol

Old Petrify sucked, it was a boring trick that was a poor mans Avalanche and had no actual benefit outside of loot-farming, now he can turn enemies to stone instantly instead of 10 seconds from now, yes it's more expensive but that's the price you pay for instant CC.

Rubble is a free bonus, it costs you nothing and are not required to "keep it up", it's kind of a lame but it can just be buffed by either adding more health, armor or reduced decay speed, maybe all three just for good measure.

Ignoring you clickbait title I'll just go ahead and correct you, Atlas has always sucked, DE has confirmed on live streams that he was one of the 3 least used frames in WF with Zephyr and Wukong, now he sucks less, so lets stop pretending his changes were terrible.

39 minutes ago, Orcot said:

Ignoring you clickbait title I'll just go ahead and correct you, Atlas has always sucked, DE has confirmed on live streams that he was one of the 3 least used frames in WF with Zephyr and Wukong, now he sucks less, so lets stop pretending his changes were terrible.

If you say that Atlas sucked before the rework i don't think you have much experience with him. His 3 before the rework was an alright cc, even if it didn't petrify enemies instantly it was a radial stun much like Inaros's pocket sand but with a much shorter duration. Just because he was one of the the least used frames doesn't mean he was bad in any way, he as able to carry me through sorties easily and farther in MOT than most other frames would have. The biggest thing that kept him from getting played was the fact that people only saw his 1 as viable and didn't find that fun or fulfilling to play.

Edited by StanleyStanson

1 hour ago, Shifty_Shuffler said:

I think he is getting there just needs some tweaking. My main issues are:

1. Energy cost of Petrify needs to be reduced. You have to run with Zenurik, use pizzas, or rare arcanes, to make using Petrify + Landslide combo viable.

2. Rock armour needs to decay slower or be reduced by damage taken. This is tied to point one, if that doesn't change then this does, but if you can spam petrify + LS combo then this is less of an issue.

3. Landslide should trigger Pack Leader. Considering you will be using LS most of the time and it is melee, would be nice if this triggered the mod.

4. Tectonics I don't use, just seems a waste of energy at the mo. There have been some good suggestions in this thread, hopefully that can get tweaked.

One thing I would love to see is changing Land Slide from a cast ability into an excalted style weapon, so you toggle it on/off and it slowly drains energy, and use your normal melee key to use it. The main reason for wanting this is to use your normal melee key rather then the 1 key or whatever you have assigned. I just find combat a bit clunky when you need to use the 1 key a lot. All my mouse buttons are assigned to other stuff, but regardless our muscle memory for melee is kinda set in stone lol

This is more of what i wanted to see in the comments, I know the rework isn't enough on its own and needs some more meat to it but just about everyone is saying "add more numbers to rubble and it'll be fine" pressing 3 and then 1 is not engaging gameplay and its one of the biggest problems with another frame Nidus.

After playing around with a Hunter Adrenaline build, I find that the rubble mechanic is growing on me. Unfortunately, I only find it working in that particular kind of build. As for incorporating his other abilities:

Tectonics:

- allow petrify to heal tectonics

- make the tectonics Boulder drop a large amount of rubble.

* Final note, from a purely aesthetics standpoint, there is no indication that rubble has been picked up. There needs to be some sort of sound and/or visual indication that something has been gained. Making rocks grow on both sides of Atlas's body would be great as well.

Edited by RubbleRain

1 hour ago, RubbleRain said:

After playing around with a Hunter Adrenaline build, I find that the rubble mechanic is growing on me. Unfortunately, I only find it working in that particular kind of build. I stand by my previous statement about converting to damage reduction, and I believe a higher heal rate would be great as well. As for incorporating his other abilities:

- interacting with a Rumbler instantly fills up to half of the rubble meter, depending on how much health they have left.

* Final note, from a purely aesthetics standpoint, there is no indication that rubble has been picked up. There needs to be some sort of sound and/or visual indication that something has been gained. Making rocks grow on both sides of Atlas's body would be great as well.

???

Have you actually played him? Rocks do grow on him when he picks up rubble?

13 hours ago, StanleyStanson said:

If you say that Atlas sucked before the rework i don't think you have much experience with him. His 3 before the rework was an alright cc, even if it didn't petrify enemies instantly it was a radial stun much like Inaros's pocket sand but with a much shorter duration. Just because he was one of the the least used frames doesn't mean he was bad in any way, he as able to carry me through sorties easily and farther in MOT than most other frames would have. The biggest thing that kept him from getting played was the fact that people only saw his 1 as viable and didn't find that fun or fulfilling to play.

I've played him a great deal and my point still stands, his issue wasn't that he wasn't viable he's just plain boring and uncompelling to play, he couldn't tank, couldn't DPS, carely CCs (3 has reduced effectiveness over distance requiring more time to stone), his 4 with or without his Aug was unreliable and best served as a bullet sponge, 2 useless, and 1 boring but effective.

Atlas's low player count wasn't cause he wasn't viable, there are simply better more exciting options compared to him and in most circumstances more effective, short of being a loot-farm Atlas brings nothing to a team comp compared to Rhino and Frost with CC, tank and team support.  As I've said, he sucked, not cause he wasn't viable cause there were just far better alternatives, anyone with a 1/4 my experience could tell you that.

2 minutes ago, Orcot said:

I've played him a great deal and my point still stands, his issue wasn't that he wasn't viable he's just plain boring and uncompelling to play, he couldn't tank, couldn't DPS, carely CCs (3 has reduced effectiveness over distance requiring more time to stone), his 4 with or without his Aug was unreliable and best served as a bullet sponge, 2 useless, and 1 boring but effective.

Atlas's low player count wasn't cause he wasn't viable, there are simply better more exciting options compared to him and in most circumstances more effective, short of being a loot-farm Atlas brings nothing to a team comp compared to Rhino and Frost with CC, tank and team support.  As I've said, he sucked, not cause he wasn't viable cause there were just far better alternatives, anyone with a 1/4 my experience could tell you that.

To each their own i guess, I just know that despite the low player count he did have a dedicated community that used all of his powers and were still keeping up and having fun with the rest of the frames in the roster. Everyone has favorite frames for different reasons and you don't need to shoot because cursing isn't allowed in the forums all over someone elses choice.

Just now, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

Now the clickbait title has turned against you. Hope you learned a lesson.

i was hot about atlas finally getting a rework and at the time i felt it was unbearably underwhelming and i admit i was upset, but I don't regret writing about it but just wished the community was a bit more open minded.

Just now, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

They are open minded a lot embrace the rework that's open mindedness. I liked him before rework i'll like him after even more my only complaint is petrify + tectonics wont buff defense (I use fracture) but t rubble armor might add to it so i'm happy. They had a lotta defense before this anyways so it's not a huge deal.

just to kinda end this post off and let it die peacefully, i did end up taking another look at the rubble mechanic and did find it minorly useful, i ended up writing another post called "An Apology (Sort Of)" like i added to the top of the post just a few minutes ago.

Buffed Atlas and buffed Sobek, two great flavors that go great together.  Get in a hallway on survival, or literally anywhere on defense, Petrify any enemies that come towards you, keep Petrifying as more fall in behind them, then fire off a couple Sobek blasts and watch them all explode into tasty, tasty rubble.