Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank Problem

killerstand

Does anyone else feel like the mastery rank system is almost useless? After about rank 14-15 you have access to all the weapons and warframes so there really isn't that much of a point to rank up anymore (besides a couple of rivens).

I think that maybe we should start having different missions that require an even higher mastery rank to unlock, or warframe specific missions or even a whole quest that requires you to have a certain warframe (For example, we get to do a mission with Excalibur and there's a certain enemy that is only damaged by exalted blade). Then you get a really nice reward if you finish it (I don't know what it'll be, but I'm open to ideas)

I think that will help solve the problems with Mastery Rank and even the endgame problem that warframe seems to have.

I asked the same question on Steam, and several people pointed out the fact that locking the missions at such a high point could scare away new players, personally I disagree since there is already a lot of content new players can try out that they can invest in the game for a long time.

Mastery Rank is pretty much the goal of Warframe, Since in-game Mastery Rank determine your play time and skilled

Mastery Rank can also be considered as an end-game since if you reach MR. 25 (Maxed currently) you're pretty much being seen as a pro warframe player

most of the item are unlocked at Mr. 15 but to reach Mr. 25 you have to tried out new weapon / Warframe. That's the fun part about Warframe, you get to try out many things without losing anything

Master rank is so far okay it does need few additions but it's not so bad.
And since you can reach mastery 20 by 2 months a very high mastery rank doesn't make you skilled. It just confirms you own alot stuff. Like nearly half of the weapons in my arsenal i don't even know how they feel since most of them ended up being a mr fooder.
The key difference in this terms is game is calling a trying out so a progress tracked "mastery" and they implied that you master that item. But since none does level slowly playing each weapon for few days to "master it" it just get's formad' 6x in 1 day or just once if you want the xp from it you can't master it it's just free xp.
And most new players that i meet or join my clan have problems mastering the basics of crating, movement 2.0 and dmg 2.0 so that is a part to master.
Since every weapon is nearly the same and getting mastery rank for it doesn't make you superior at it, you just own more similar gear with similar stats and some unique mechanics here and there.
The conclusion is that mastery rank is a wrong name for unlocked/achievements progress rank.

I'm doing hypothetical sorties and random players join.  A level 7, 14, and 22.  One of those players is a complete knob.  90 percent of the time it's the MR 14.  MR 7 brings Rhino and doesn't do much but doesn't die.  MR 22 is competent and efficient.  MR 14 brings Limbo and screws everything up or a Mesa but never uses Shatter Shield or a Slova on defense and so on.  This stereotype holds true nine out of ten sorties.  No one is ever stuck in a tough mission and says "Oh thank the Unum, a MR 12 just joined.  We are saved!"

To get beyond level 20 or so you have to be really dedicated to the game, tracking down rare and vaulted items through trade chat, playing archwing and breeding dogs, playing long enough to have special event weapons and log in rewards, etc.  Players who care enough about the game to level the hard to get items are also the type of players who have read up on the game, perfected builds for multiple frames, and can carry rather than be carried on a variety of missions.  I'm sure everyone can point out contrary examples ("This one time I was on Akkad and I saw a MR 24 die on wave 4."), but it doesn't disprove the trend.

Anyway, they seem to be having more and more weapons that require higher Mastery Rank.  Maybe we'll get some weapons that require 20 plus in the future.  In the mean time, the extra daily syndicate limits and mod capacity on unranked items make ranking up worthwhile.  

il y a 8 minutes, (Xbox One)ThermalStone a dit :

I'm doing hypothetical sorties and random players join.  A level 7, 14, and 22.  One of those players is a complete knob.  90 percent of the time it's the MR 14. 

Well, as an exactly MR14 player, I need to let you know that i'm now going to cry 'cuse of the damage you just done to my little heart.

Mastery rank may be the biggest reason you are playing warframe right now. Once you hit the high levels, you would have already crafted a majority of frames and weapons. Only then, will you turn to mastery rank as a source of joy and progression. 

hace 3 horas, (Xbox One)ThermalStone dijo:

I'm doing hypothetical sorties and random players join.  A level 7, 14, and 22.  One of those players is a complete knob.  90 percent of the time it's the MR 14.  MR 7 brings Rhino and doesn't do much but doesn't die.  MR 22 is competent and efficient.  MR 14 brings Limbo and screws everything up or a Mesa but never uses Shatter Shield or a Slova on defense and so on.  This stereotype holds true nine out of ten sorties.  No one is ever stuck in a tough mission and says "Oh thank the Unum, a MR 12 just joined.  We are saved!"

For people like you is the reason i decided to stay at MR 14 (i have enough mastery points for MR 25, almost 2 years being mr 14 tho) just to see high MR players complaining that a low MR noob (according to some) is doing bettter. In some cases, Is funny to see players that will not let me join their group, just because im MR 14... even if i tell them to check my profile, they will not let me join just because i dont have a 20+ next to my name.

And idk about XBOX, but here on PS4, i usually find self proclamed "pros" (usually mr 20+) playing really bad... 

Thanks God i realized quickly that MR is not important in terms of skill and knowledge of the game. 

As MR24/25, it's nice having a fully, or nearly fully modded weapon/frame at rank 0 or when you forma it. 25k/26k daily standing limit, which basically means you get free plat daily if you sell syndicate mods, or relic packs if you're lazy to farm them with so much rng. More loadouts is also really nice when you have S#&$loads of frames and weapons. Also having a 1300 void traces cap is nice for new prime releases/unvaulting, being prepared a couple of days before their relese ready to rad 13 relics you most likely get from syndicate relic packs the moment the patch is live. And one of the most important ones, the amount of daily trades. Some people barely do trades, not worrying having less, but for many of us that do a lot of market stuff, 24-25 aren't enough sometimes.
If there were more weapons with high rank requirements, it would be unfair for new players as there are a lot of items not so accesible or temporarily obtainable that take a lot of time to come back, to have enough mr fodder.

52 minutes ago, (PS4)Baako_0 said:

For people like you is the reason i decided to stay at MR 14 (i have enough mastery points for MR 25, almost 2 years being mr 14 tho) just to see high MR players complaining that a low MR noob (according to some) is doing bettter. In some cases, Is funny to see players that will not let me join their group, just because im MR 14... even if i tell them to check my profile, they will not let me join just because i dont have a 20+ next to my name.

And idk about XBOX, but here on PS4, i usually find self proclamed "pros" (usually mr 20+) playing really bad... 

Thanks God i realized quickly that MR is not important in terms of skill and knowledge of the game. 

K

You sound like a self proclaimed genius who 'chose' to have a G.E.D.  I don't really care what other players' mastery rank most of the time.  I only really glance at it when a player is either screwing up a lot or taking forever.  If is on the low side I cut some slack or slow up some, if it is higher; I leave them to their fate.  You can play the game like you want, but doing that seem limiting as you are giving up some pretty good perks for limited work.  All so you can stick it players that don't even care most of the time.

I see MR a lot like a college degree.  Most people can get one with varying degrees of effort.  Some cheat their way through and learn nothing, but most take something away from the experience worthwhile.  A high MR player might still be horrible at Warframe, but most of the time a MR 20+ has decent skills to at very least stay alive and parkour. To the point that if I see a MR 20+ playing horribly I wonder if they bought that account or someone else is playing it.  Below MR 13 if becomes a more of mixed bag.  Sometimes they are really good sometimes they are really bad.

Edited by Saturmorn_Carvilli

Il y a 1 heure, (PS4)Baako_0 a dit :

Yeah, but you haven't realized yet that MR16 is required to be able to equip every Riven in the game.. :D

However, that would be interesting if you haven't do the grind.

But doing the grind then refuse to do the test? I can't see the point^^

hace 7 minutos, Darkduprey dijo:

Yeah, but you haven't realized yet that MR16 is required to be able to equip every Riven in the game.. :D

However, that would be interesting if you haven't do the grind.

But doing the grind then refuse to do the test? I can't see the point^^

I know about the MR 16 riven thing, is not like we only have to get or buy MR 16 rivens... and im not a huge fan of them neither.

I said why im at MR 14. And i did the grind to try all the available stuff and get an idea of how the warframes, weapons, companions, etc works.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Baako_0 said:

Did you fail your MR15 test for 2 years? Feels bad man. 

Mastery Rank above 14 is mostly a sign of:

• compulsive hoarding
  • vanity
  • much spare time

I'm fine with the MR benifits, with increasing number of loadouts and capacity boost on freshly Forma-treated items being the best benifits. Whoever wants MR-requirements for missions, somehow still hasn't understood that Warframe is all about Mods not MR in the first place. Sure, it's more likely that you have a huge arsenal as MR25, but it's no guarantee that you skillfully use it all the time. A clan-supported (with missing high-level mods) MR10 could fulfill any role aswell.

Two things I'd love to see from MR though:

• more loadouts! (+1 per MR)
  • impact on the Operator: when you're Mastery Rank 25 you have fought countless battles using hundreds of weapons and dozens of Warframes. I expect that a Tenno of that calibre has gained some tactical insight that should reflect to himself as Operator. I'd love to see some small Operator boosts from Mastery Rank.

Eh personally I ground my way to MR 12, then stagnated for months, until Euphona came. Then I got 2 MRs so I could use Euphona. Then Rivens and I ground to 16 until the MR 18 rivens came.

Pretty much MR is the most useless thing ever unless you forma a lot. Yes I am more than halfway to 21. No I am still a crappy player who doesn't run a frame without survivarability mods.

Problem with the higher MRs is that you have to use equipment you absolutely detest. Using the Hind was an extreme pain, I admit.

il y a une heure, (PS4)Baako_0 a dit :

I know about the MR 16 riven thing, is not like we only have to get or buy MR 16 rivens... and im not a huge fan of them neither.

I said why im at MR 14. And i did the grind to try all the available stuff and get an idea of how the warframes, weapons, companions, etc works.

Well, obviously, no, you don't have to get or buy them, but since the grind is done that's strange to not use your occasion to eventually use them.

Yes, I've read your reason, but... This doesn't convince me.

As I said, I understand if someone doesn't want to do the grind because he feel like having an higher MR will be useless. But when you already have the points, this just sound like "I wanna be special so I will not do my test like everybody else!", and it's kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Darkduprey

hace 8 horas, Darkduprey dijo:

Well, obviously, no, you don't have to get or buy them, but since the grind is done that's strange to not use your occasion to eventually use them.

Yes, I've read your reason, but... This doesn't convince me.

As I said, I understand if someone doesn't want to do the grind because he feel like having an higher MR will be useless. But when you already have the points, this just sound like "I wanna be special so I will not do my test like everybody else!", and it's kinda ridiculous.

Dude, it's not like I'm telling everyone in-game to check my profile...

And It may be ridiculous for you, but for me it is worse to see people who think they are superior just because they are MR 20+. Some people just cannot stand playing with players below MRs 20, in their head everything under that is bad. Obviously, I know that not all the high MR players are like that.

I hope you get my point, and sorry for my English, it is not my native language.