Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shards Unlocking Focus Schools

Dragoon

As the heading implies, I'm wondering why the brilliant/radiant shards we gain from Eidolon hunting can't be used as "open" focus geared towards any school. It defeats the purpose of being able to use the shards for focus if we can't use them to help us unlock trees we don't have access to, which would make increasing the validity of the operator much more efficient.

I hope I'm getting across my thoughts in a cohesive fashion here. Does anyone agree or have any further thoughts?

So you want to be able to convert shards into focus for a currently locked school, so you can unlock it?

If that is what you are saying, then I have to disagree. Being forced to actually earn/buy lenses and farm focus the normal way is important for focus as a whole. If everything can be done just by capping Eidolons, then why would lenses even exist?

That would be an okay QoL change. I mean, we just need 50k focus to unlock a school, and that's not a lot (that's actually cheap change). Just slap a few lenses and go do your stuff for a few days. The focus from shards don't count towards the daily cap, so you won't be missing anything if you're patient enough.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it defeats the purpose of getting focus from these shards, simply because 50k focus doesn't even compare to 3mil+ focus.

But, overall, yeah. I don't get why we can't use these shards for schools we haven't unlocked yet.

5 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Being forced to actually earn/buy lenses and farm focus the normal way is important for focus as a whole.

And it's also been criticized a lot by many players since release, mainly because of the cap that, without appropriate methods, takes too long to be reached.

3 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If everything can be done just by capping Eidolons, then why would lenses even exist?

Because not everyone has the gear / squad / patience / decent computer to hunt for eidolons. So lenses are still a valid alternative.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, (PS4)iQuedas said:

And it's also been criticized a lot by many players since release, mainly because of the cap that, without appropriate methods, takes too long to be reached.

While I agree that the current numbers are in need of tweaks, the base concept is very good. I feel that the original idea of focus, that of it being 'the next step after rank 30', is very important to the game as a whole. The current rate of conversion and daily cap need to be changed, but the base concept is good.

And the reason why you can't convert shards for locked schools is because DE wants players to do more than just Eidolons for focus. By requiring players to go out, get a lens from bounties, put it on a weapon/frame, and go murder 4-5k enemies, they force players to mix it up a little. You have to do Plains Bounties for the lens, and have a max-rank weapon/frame to put it on, and then you have to go do other missions to gain the focus. If players could do everything through Eidolon Hunting, why would they do anything else? And no 'some players can't' arguement, as I'm not talking about some players or most players. I'm talking about all players, on an individual basis. By forcing players to do multiple different missions to gain what they want (in this case, Focus), DE slows down the burnout rate. If even one player can do everything focus-related just by doing the exact same fight over and over, then it isn't good.

Note that I believe that even in regards to non-Eidolon focus farming. I don't like that you have to play one specific mission for 1-2 hours just to max focus. That's not how it should be.

The fix, though, is not to drive everyone into only doing something else. Balance and diversity are necessary for a good game experience.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)ChronosHavok said:

This begs an even bigger questions. Why are focus schools even locked? Just increase the price of the first ability by 50k.

umm tecnicly that is what the 50k you spend on. as for why locked. well as i said not having anything basicly means nothing but more saying that you have something in there unlocked

How lazy people can be? Unlocking a school is the bare minimum of effort. Get a crappy lense, put it on a Warframe and wiggle around in Sedna/Hydron for some waves if you don't like to actively farm focus.

DE's generous enough with the focus yield from Eidolon captures, already. But for those school-unlocks you can ignore lenses and normal focus farming completely now. 

I think being forced to earn 50k in a school before using shards to cheese your way through is quite fair... don't need to change it... It would be pretty ridiculous to make out an entire school without ever having a single lense of it equipped on anything.

TBH what they should be doing is nerfing how much focus Shards give in the first place.  25k is unreal when you consider most optimized farming teams pull a solid 5-6 eidolons a night, some higher.  That's 150k in a matter of 50 minutes, repeatable 9.6 (round to 10) times a day... That's, in theory 1,500,000 focus a day from shards lol.   It makes regular focus farming practically redundant, but what you're asking is to actually further push it out of the picture.   

I'm aware nobody is playing 24hrs straight to get 1,500,000 but even an 8 hour session (in actuality only 3 hours of play if you're only doing Eidolons) is 500,000 focus which is more than your entire daily focus from Convergence/Lense gains.  

Your idea though?  Well at that rate we might as well not have focus gains anywhere but Shards.   

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

vor 50 Minuten schrieb (PS4)lagrue:

I think being forced to earn 50k in a school before using shards to cheese your way through is quite fair... don't need to change it... It would be pretty ridiculous to make out an entire school without ever having a single lense of it equipped on anything.

TBH what they should be doing is nerfing how much focus Shards give in the first place.  25k is unreal when you consider most optimized farming teams pull a solid 5-6 eidolons a night, some higher.  That's 150k in a matter of 50 minutes, repeatable 9.6 (round to 10) times a day... That's, in theory 1,500,000 focus a day from shards lol.   It makes regular focus farming practically redundant, but what you're asking is to actually further push it out of the picture.   

I'm aware nobody is playing 24hrs straight to get 1,500,000 but even an 8 hour session (in actuality only 3 hours of play if you're only doing Eidolons) is 500,000 focus which is more than your entire daily focus from Convergence/Lense gains.  

Your idea though?  Well at that rate we might as well not have focus gains anywhere but Shards.   

It's ok the way it is. In order to get as much out of Eidolon captures, you had to invest some good time in farming Quill & Ostron Standing for good Amps and Arcanes. Changing that would hurt only casual players who haven't access to the hunts yet. Regular Eidolon Hunters probably have unlocked most of the Focus wheel already (e.g. I'm one node away to fully unlock my 3rd school now).

Normal focus gains however should increase accordingly. It's ridiculous that you get 300k+ Focus in one night cycle while you stagger around with a 4x Eidolens Warframe unless you go for Equinox/Ivara stealth farming. I agree with you on the redundance of normal focus farming. Since Arcanes went to PoE, I gave up on daily focus.

Edited by Toran