The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has Gender Swap skins been something discussed before?

(PSN)TheHypothes

I feel like this idea has likely been addressed, but it was something I was wondering about. Series of skins for each frame that is a straight gender model swap. I'm pretty sure this would be popular, but who knows.

Is this something that could happen? Would people want it? I'm sure I'd personally use it on a handful of frames.

It has been discussed.  There are no plans to do it.  You'll probably get some people in favour of it (like me) and then you'll get some people strongly against it as they feel it would ruin the character of certain frames (I don't really see why).

It was discussed in the very beginning of the game.

Nyx looks so similar to Excalibur because in the beginning she wasn't her own Warframe, but Excaliburs female version.

There is also an official artwork of a female Ash version.

There were a lot of discussion on this topic but they changed their mind when they originally wanted to add this kind of option but the rescources wasn't enough so they butchered the idea and changed working pattern. As skins it would not hurt but the names are problematic. I personally would prefer a full gender swap and each frame theme could have pairs. 

2 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

It was discussed in the very beginning of the game.

Nyx looks so similar to Excalibur because in the beginning she wasn't her own Warframe, but Excaliburs female version.

There is also an official artwork of a female Ash version.

Still would like in game that female ash. (Ashe)

Well, as some people will tell you, a sex swap is illogical due to the lore. Some frames are actually made for (or after) certain people. Harrow, for instance, was/is the vessel of a person (refer to the "Chains of Harrow" quest for details), other story frames are repeatedly referred to as "him" or "her", also sometimes referring to the people that originally used them. DE would have to rewrite most of the backgrounds of many Warframes, and good bits of general lore, in order for that to make sense in-game.

Also, we still don't really know what Warframes are really made of. From what we can tell by now, it seems that they actually were living beings used to "grow"/develop the frame.

I understand the whole "identifying with the frames you use" aspect, but I don't think sex swap should be a thing. Far too much effort, especially because it's not just a skin that has to be made, a lot of new animations have to be made as well. Wouldn't really look right if a female Rhino stood and walked like the male version, and as we know, having DE work on this would divert a lot of workforce off of the next big things.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Grekkatarq:

Still would like in game that female ash. (Ashe)

While i'm actually con-genderswap-skins, i do agree, that i personally prefer the female version of Ash. It just looked better.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Ferah_Frithu:

Well, as some people will tell you, a sex swap is illogical due to the lore. Some frames are actually made for (or after) certain people. Harrow, for instance, was/is the vessel of a person (refer to the "Chains of Harrow" quest for details), other story frames are repeatedly referred to as "him" or "her", also sometimes referring to the people that originally used them. DE would have to rewrite most of the backgrounds of many Warframes, and good bits of general lore, in order for that to make sense in-game.

Also, we still don't really know what Warframes are really made of. From what we can tell by now, it seems that they actually were living beings used to "grow"/develop the frame.

I understand the whole "identifying with the frames you use" aspect, but I don't think sex swap should be a thing. Far too much effort, especially because it's not just a skin that has to be made, a lot of new animations have to be made as well. Wouldn't really look right if a female Rhino stood and walked like the male version, and as we know, having DE work on this would divert a lot of workforce off of the next big things.

Everything is right that you wrote. Especially the Harrow quest solidifies the gender of a Warframe.

Additionally i'd like to point out, there are some Frames which activly defy common conceptions of male and female.

Namely Nezha and Equinox. Having genderswap options whould go directly against the artists vision who designed those two.

Well, I'd say were they to do this, it wouldn't be all frames at once or anything. We'd see them staggered just like any other line of skins.

I don't think the stance thing would be much of an issue since we can buy stances of other frames, but that'd probably not sit well with some people.

Lore kinda moot on alt skins and such. Ember's a bird lol.

3 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Additionally i'd like to point out, there are some Frames which activly defy common conceptions of male and female.

Namely Nezha and Equinox. Having genderswap options whould go directly against the artists vision who designed those two.

Nezha is depicted as he was in Chinese mythology. His appearance has no bearing on "defying" conceptions.

Gerade eben schrieb (PS4)Vagnar:

Nezha is depicted as he was in Chinese mythology. His appearance has no bearing on "defying" conceptions.

Of course he is.

He is depicted as a rather young playful character, which goes heavily against western concetion of males haaving to be very buff and stoic, like Rhino.

Why do you think a big part of the community thinks that Nezha is female?

Hence:

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Fishyflakes:

Because the Trap memes would be too strong.

Also Warframes don't have genitalia so why would they have genders?

When Warframe started, it was originally a planed thing. Nyx for instance is the female Excalibur model. But the games direction shifted and the idea was scrapped.
Now the idea is even less likely due to both lore and the greatly increased amount of frames which would all need a new model, rigging and animations for this feature to work.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

Well, I'd say were they to do this, it wouldn't be all frames at once or anything. We'd see them staggered just like any other line of skins.

I don't think the stance thing would be much of an issue since we can buy stances of other frames, but that'd probably not sit well with some people.

It's still resources diverted from other things. Things DE hasn't said an explicit no to.

Your argument is DE should half-ass it and not care. Still doesn't erase the fact new skins that have an entirely new identity would need new animations.

Phoenix, the mythical bird of flame. Wonder if there's any connection to something named Ember.

5 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Of course he is.

He is depicted as a rather young playful character, which goes heavily against western concetion of males haaving to be very buff and stoic, like Rhino.

Why do you think a big part of the community thinks that Nezha is female?

Hence:

My point more is that Nezha has existed in folklore and culture for hundreds of years and has always been depicted this way. Just because people don't go and read anything ever and make incorrect assumptions doesn't change that they stayed true to the inspiration.

5 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

It's still resources diverted from other things. Things DE hasn't said an explicit no to.

Your argument is DE should half-ass it and not care. Still doesn't erase the fact new skins that have an entirely new identity would need new animations.

Phoenix, the mythical bird of flame. Wonder if there's any connection to something named Ember.

I'm well aware of the Vermillion Bird reference. Anyway, it was just something I was wondering about. Either direction is fine by me, but I'd definitely enjoy the option were they to do it.

vor 8 Minuten schrieb (PS4)Vagnar:

I'm well aware of the Vermillion Bird reference. Anyway, it was just something I was wondering about. Either direction is fine by me, but I'd definitely enjoy the option were they to do it.

Of course you knew... ;-) As it was clearly indicated by:

vor 25 Minuten schrieb (PS4)Vagnar:

35 minutes ago, Ferah_Frithu said:

This is right at the moment but years ago it would have been a real thing if the devs would have been enough money to go for it. The lore is not so deep and can be rewritten at any time but the current lorewriting is went for the one frame one gender because suits and someone whom worn them was died long ago. I am not against the genderswap but for that they need to rewrite the story and expand it to add male and female variations. Octavia for example can given a male named Octavius or something song related, while Titania's counterpair is Oberon. Story wise they are a couple but in game they are different frames in roles and how they played. There are also frames which could have a gender variation because their name is not distinguish them strong enough. 

I personally if they willing to do this I suggest them to make frames with the similar theme and add an option to use the abilities of their virtual pairs. Example Ember's abilities on a frame named Blaze for example. 

It is time consuming and they not today will begin this when they already making umbras as a new set and still no one know how much frame they will release. I hope this game will live long enough and we reach at least 100 frame but still less than what fans could imagine. If the game turning to be out to date then they could make a warframe 2 or just improving or making a new game engine and port the items to it from warframe. Someday it will needed them to do this otherwise the game turning out to date.

7 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Of course you knew... ;-) As it was clearly indicated by:

It's fine if you don't believe me. You called it a Phoenix. The point was that the whole lore thing applying to alt skins is kinda silly when you look at stuff like that. Skins are skins.

55 minutes ago, Ferah_Frithu said:

i dont think indetification with a frame is even needed, due to them being designed after/for people and as you have said, the material is not that clear (who knows maybe next quest will reveal that). the identification aspect is covered by the second dream quest.

some skins for weapons or frames dont make the cut due to them braking the lore too much. pretty sure genderbender skins fit that category.

at the end of the day we already have gender customization.

Edited by fartloud

12 minutes ago, Soki01 said:

i wouldnt see the need or the point of it

Literally just fashion frame like deluxe skins. Some people may simply want to play with a model swap for their own personal enjoyment. If enough people want it, there's a point to it. They may not go that route, but any time there's an audience willing to spend money, there's incentive to consider it.