Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Noob having trouble doing survival for the Santayana

davidatwilliams

Question

Having real problems with the event survival mission I seem to get to the 8 minute mark and run out af life support or get to the next one only to find that it disappears right before my eyes. I don't see any of the NPC dropping life supports either as normally they help keep me going. I have tried all sorts to keep it going. I have tried Rhino, Volt Ember and Loki. It feel to me the survival mode is kind of luck of the draw for me. I have now managed to complete most everything else and understand the mechanism it seems but survival has me flummoxed.

I have only have been playing for a month so may be I am missing something. I have tried two strategies thus far with Rhino I have sought out the spawns and tried to get the life support capsule as the drop (if they drop) I have tried using ember's 4 and volts 4 but neither of them are mastered and neither lasts that long.  I have managed to do the other event missions so I have the weapons and the skin. I thought the last one would be the easiest.

So any ideas would be gratefully received.

11 answers to this question

1- Play online : In a squad of 2 or even 4, the spawn rate of enemies will be increased.
This will allow life support drops from appearing more often and reduce the stress of watching the time on the Life Support Tower.

2- Use Life Support Tower when your oxygen level reaches 30-40% but not before that.
It's often seen that you can go from 50 to 95% just by picking up loot around the map as you kill stuff.
Using the tower at 30% prevents you from over-filling the life-support thus granting you with even more time in-between emergencies.

3- Open crates and chest around the map as you wander around, they often drop life support pods and much desired loot.

Good luck.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

14 minutes ago, davidatwilliams said:

Having real problems with the event survival mission I seem to get to the 8 minute mark and run out af life support or get to the next one only to find that it disappears right before my eyes. I don't see any of the NPC dropping life supports either as normally they help keep me going. I have tried all sorts to keep it going. I have tried Rhino, Volt Ember and Loki. It feel to me the survival mode is kind of luck of the draw for me. I have now managed to complete most everything else and understand the mechanism it seems but survival has me flummoxed.

I have only have been playing for a month so may be I am missing something. I have tried two strategies thus far with Rhino I have sought out the spawns and tried to get the life support capsule as the drop (if they drop) I have tried using ember's 4 and volts 4 but neither of them are mastered and neither lasts that long.  I have managed to do the other event missions so I have the weapons and the skin. I thought the last one would be the easiest.

So any ideas would be gratefully received.

im guessing you play solo. play in public, more enemies spawn, its just easier. or use nekros or hydroid with pilfering swarm to create more loot

1 hour ago, nickelshark said:

Try to find a nice open room to stay in and avoid running around the map as much as possible. This will help with keeping spawns consistent.

^ this. Not too many people know that you force the spawn points to move further away from you as you get closer to them. (it was intended to deter players from camping spawning points) 

Edited by Souldend78

20 hours ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

1- Play online : In a squad of 2 or even 4, the spawn rate of enemies will be increased.
This will allow life support drops from appearing more often and reduce the stress of watching the time on the Life Support Tower.

20 hours ago, Ragingwasabi said:

im guessing you play solo. play in public, more enemies spawn, its just easier. or use nekros or hydroid with pilfering swarm to create more loot

Yes I am playing solo at the moment while I get used to it all. I did play in the public lobby on your advice but I found it rather chaotic. it was not clear what was going on and there is no voice comms in game to coordinate anything.However what I wanted was not the just to complete the mission but to understand as well. So simple put I am none the wiser. As many have said I understand that you get the life supports from enemies that you kill and the lowest kill number I had was 50 and I did see any life support being vacuumed up by my sentinel and if they did it seemed to be not very much. 

So in short I am none the wiser as to how with a reasonably low spec warframe you can complete this mission. As I have said I have tried Loki, Ember, Excalibre and Rhino, I just reached MR6 today so I suppose I have a long way to go. I am not sure that survival and the public lobby was the way to go to understand what was going on but it did mean I got the prize (which actually kind of ring hollow to be honest,  I still don't know what I was doing was correct or not. I had the second highest kills and the most damage sustained I was running Rhino, which I had just maxed to level 30 and made it as tanky as I could. So I still don't know if I am doing it right or indeed what the hell was going on.

19 hours ago, nickelshark said:

Try to find a nice open room to stay in and avoid running around the map as much as possible. This will help with keeping spawns consistent.

Thanks I have to admit I did not think of that. I did a combination of hunting for them since I could get much crowd control on my build 

So there is something I am doing wrong and just running around with someone else did not give me the answer. nor did it make any more sense to me it was not clear if I ws a help or an hindrance.

19 hours ago, (PS4)vidare said:

You get life support from killing enemies, and only activate the stations if life support is running really low, under ~20%

And why not join a random lobby

I understand that I get life support from enemies, I said that at the beginning. I have run other survial missions on earth and venus and managed them OK it is surprising after over 50 kills as a match low and over 80 kills in one. I don't see much in the way of life support to sustain me that's all.

4 hours ago, davidatwilliams said:

As many have said I understand that you get the life supports from enemies that you kill and the lowest kill number I had was 50 and I did see any life support being vacuumed up by my sentinel and if they did it seemed to be not very much. 

I had the second highest kills and the most damage sustained I was running Rhino, which I had just maxed to level 30 and made it as tanky as I could. So I still don't know if I am doing it right or indeed what the hell was going on.

I understand that I get life support from enemies, I said that at the beginning. I have run other survial missions on earth and venus and managed them OK it is surprising after over 50 kills as a match low and over 80 kills in one. I don't see much in the way of life support to sustain me that's all.

Dropped life support provide 4%.

You 'made it as tanky as possible', did you make sure to have as much ability strength as possible? Because that's where his Iron Skin shines

You should be seeing a ton of life support. My best guess is burning all life support as soon as possible, they restore 30% and are very limited. You really don't want to blow them at like 95% or so

I recommend you forgo understanding the gametype and just join a public lobby and kill enemies if you can find any.
Informative stuff in here, no actual spoilers.

Spoiler

1: Do not use main Life Support Capsules if Life Support is over 40%, unless you're heading to extraction.
2: CTRL(crouch)+Space(jump) = bullet jump. Aim/block buttons cause aimgliding. Sliding also shortens the time before you land without triggering the 'long fall' animation.
3: Stick with the team if you can. Try not to wander off too far if you can't help it.
4: Check chat frequently when you have a moment.
5: Put an Orokin Reactor on your warframes if you can't get their Prime counterparts, and put Forma into them to get more out of higher-ranked mods.
6: Rank up mods in the mod bench (fusion) to get more HP/shields/numbers.
7: At your own risk, look up about things. Otherwise if you don't want spoilers of big quests, I suggest checking the Codex thoroughly for any sort of information.
8: Kill count/abilities used isn't the only way to define a player's skill. See Spy missions for an example of this, or how some people use deployables (like Atlas' tectonics, Frost's Globe, Gara's Mass Vitrify, Limbo's Cataclysm, Volt's shield-walls, Vauban's various deployables, Chroma's Effigy/Pelt, and more) in a creative manner (i.e: using Tectonics to block enemies from travelling a specific route, or Vauban's trampoline-grenade to send enemies falling into a vortex). Creative example: Vauban with a few bounce-pads, a Vortex just barely outside a Limbo Cataclysm, and a Nidus waiting for the moment to spam Virulence (his 1).

Il y a 5 heures, davidatwilliams a dit :

-Snip about understanding the mission-

-Snip about which frame to use-

So there is something I am doing wrong and just running around with someone else did not give me the answer. nor did it make any more sense to me it was not clear if I ws a help or an hindrance.

Had to shorten the quote so that it wouldn't take too much space.
Allow me to answer those points :

Survival mission in general isn't too hard to understand :
You enter a facility owned by enemies in a loud bang to get their attention whilst a NPC loots the entire ship and get you rewards every 5 minutes.
The enemy decides that cutting "Oxygen" in the ship is the easiest way to deal with you, so they equip themselves with life-support pods and go on a hunt knowing that you're under pressure.
That said, Lotus sends life support towers in your area in order for you to distract the enemy as much as possible whilst staying alive.
That's all for the Lore section of Survival, anything that is event related will have its own read-able description somewhere, but most of the time it's not that important.
( This 5 year anniversary the theme was "Our merchandise got stolen, go pick it back up" )

Now lets jump on to a few gameplay facts :
-Life Support Tower provide you with 30% life support for every use along with a singular health orb for your well being.

-Enemies have a small chance to drop a life support upon death, said life support pods singularly give you 4% life support each.
This may not sound like much, but as a team you're often expected to kill 100-200 enemies per 5 minutes. ( And I reckon this might be your issue right there )
With all that considered you can easily fill an entire life support bar from enemy drop alone, and if you're unlucky enough to not get the RNG drop for the pods, you can use a Tower to save you.

-Crates and Lockers also have a chance to drop life support, they're not necessarily worth it, but it's a bit of an extra if you do decide to open them.

The only thing that is worth considering is Farming frames such as Nekros, Ivara and Hydroid.
They have unique abilities that allow 2x loots on a certain condition (kill, ability touched the enemy, range, energy usage) ,however it is very unlikely that you'll own any of those at Mastery 6.

As I pointed out earlier, it's an event specifically created to give new players an easy gift, the level is low to begin with and the difficulty isn't crazy high,that is why I find there's not much of a suggestion as to which frame you should bring.

If you're following the advice above and only using those when reaching 20-40% then you will not be considered a hindrance, certainly not at this level of a mission.
As long as you're taking some kills, getting your loot worth and making sure that the mission doesn't fail due to 0% life support, then you're good.
Having only 50 kills after 10 minutes ( if I remember correctly ) in solo of all things serves to show that the spawn rate is significantly lower or that you may simply be taking slightly too much time to kill those event unit alone.

Conclusion :
For the time being, as the event is there currently I suggest playing online in a group of four and attempting to pass through it at the very least for the reward.

As you continue on with the game you'll learn many different things such as elemental weakness and you'll earn new mods to play with.
It's not that you're having issue personally with survivals, but rather that you're still mid-progression.
Once you get more used to the warframe universe it'll become a walk in the park for you to stay hours into a survival without ever using a single Support Tower.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

15 hours ago, NSDBL said:

Dropped life support provide 4%.

14 hours ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

Enemies have a small chance to drop a life support upon death, said life support pods singularly give you 4% life support each.

Unless it has recently changed, it's 5% for the small support pods that drop from breakable containers and enemies.

Nekros and a slash heavy weapon using a desecrate build can run Solo survival without using any of the large containers. If you have Despoil it's of course even better.

But keep moving to reach each Container, and play public, as mentioned. It's a low level survival so the spawns won't be that tough to deal with quickly.

Edited by Guest