The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uh wait, so... You can only unlock three nodes in focus?

(PSN)Black-Cat-Jinx

Question

I know once you complete the war with in I think is the quest you can go open the door to the quills with your operator...

But I really could have used some warning that I can only unlock three nodes... Yes most of the active skills aren't much use at me at the moment but I quickly realized that my initial choices (physical and element damage) would be less beneficial to me than increased energy, energy regen, and energy replenishment... But now I'm stuck at two damage boosters and an energy drop booster... And it is going to be a while before I can finish war within... It seems to me if they were going to handle it this way that's fine but they could have done a better job of telling you...

Can you "relinquish" a node to gain access to something else? Or is there something about this system I'm not understanding? I admit to having been half asleep when I was reviewing this last night and might have been missing something... But if I'm stuck like this for weeks to months because I'm trying not to "play ahead" of my friends, I'm going to feel somewhat let down...

(to be clear, once I unlocked three nodes, two in one school, one in another, on all schools there's now a lock icon on every skill that says go see the quills...)

Ehh, uhh, i maybe should have put this in the players helping players board, it was meant more as a question to see if I'm missing something then a suggestion something be changed which makes it technically not feedback.... Apologies..

Edited by (PS4)Echo_X

13 answers to this question

To be honest I don't know what it's like for new players now as I already had Focus from the old system and War Within completed.  If you haven't completed War Within then most of the nodes wont be of use yet anyway but you should still be able to unlock the first two nodes in each school to get their passive bonuses to your Warframe (when that school is Primary).  You will need to use different lenses to gain Focus in each school to unlock their nodes though (only Pool is shared).

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Echo_X said:

I admit to having been half asleep when I was reviewing this last night and might have been missing something... But if I'm stuck like this for weeks to months because I'm trying not to "play ahead" of my friends, I'm going to feel somewhat let down...

Definitely go re-read when you are more well restted :)

You can unlock all of the schools, it just requires having a focus lens installed for those schools on frames/weapons, then farm up some focus and start unlocking. *You can get more Lenses from bounties on the plains, just check their reward pools

Also, TWW isnt that far away if you're done the Second Dream now (barring lack of time to play anyhow or like you say not wanting to play ahead of friends). Just push through Neptune and Pluto to the Sedna junction and complete its requirements.

Edited by Giantconch

Take the time to re-read my friend, and trust me when I say that your progression in Focus is not done. If you want my recommendation, the best thing for you to do is to just look in to finishing up all the rest of the Quests so you have access to all the things they unlock.

The War Within is worth seeing ^^

You can eventually unlock all the nodes if you wanted to, but you have to increase your pool. When I am in the main focus menu (can view all five school,) I hit R1 to increase my pool capacity. It costs an increasing amount of focus each time you increase your pool but that will give you more points to spend in your schools. And as you level each ability node in a tree it will cost more pool points.

Oh and yes... focus lenses are important. They're mandatory to gain focus. The lens you install will be the way you earn points. Standard > Greater > Eidolon. The daily cap is still 250k, but the better the lens, the more focus you earn so the faster it goes. Make sure to install a lens on whatever frame you use the most and whatever weapon you use the most. You gain more focus if you kill enemies with the weapon the lens is equipped on. Also, once a lens is installed it can't be removed. Only replaced by another lens so make sure that's the route you want to take when you install or you'll need to farm more lenses.

Edited by (PS4)Niashi

9 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Um... no? That quest only lets you talk to Onko and gives you Gara's BP. you are referring to unlocking the passives, not the tree itself.

A little tip here, as Gandergear is technically correct.

The quest gives you access to the Quills room in Cetus. But only if you've completed The War Within as well. You have to complete both, then approach the slightly 'hidden' door in Cetus while in Operator mode.

You'll get a nice cut scene, and the rest of your tree becomes available to unlock using Focus from the events there.

3 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

A little tip here, as Gandergear is technically correct.

The quest gives you access to the Quills room in Cetus. But only if you've completed The War Within as well. You have to complete both, then approach the slightly 'hidden' door in Cetus while in Operator mode.

You'll get a nice cut scene, and the rest of your tree becomes available to unlock using Focus from the events there.

The "rest" of the tree is only unlocking the passives for use with other focus trees, it doesn't prevent you from leveling any of the nodes on an individual tree or gaining access to any of the trees.

6 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

The "rest" of the tree is only unlocking the passives for use with other focus trees, it doesn't prevent you from leveling any of the nodes on an individual tree or gaining access to any of the trees.

Actually, until you've completed The War Within, only the base two nodes of the Focus Tree are able to be unlocked, which is the OP's point. The War Within unlocks Operator Mode fully, teaching you how to Dash, how to use Void Mode and how to Void Blast. Before you unlock those physical skills, all you have is the Transcendence mode. So when your Operator doesn't know that Void Dash exists, you can't level up a tree that changes what it does.

So until the quest is done, Zenurik, for example, you are only able to unlock Energy Pulse and Inner Might because they're the only two that relate to what the Frame can do, and so on for Madurai (only Phoenix Talons and Phoenix Spirit) and the rest.

(Just so you know, this only changed with Focus 2.0, it's fairly recent, so if you had the War Within done before the change, you wouldn't have known.)

Edited by Thaylien