Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma prime?

(XBOX)moonLancer13

So I'm a fairly new player to the game (MR8). I love it. Recently started doing a few trades and I decided to try and buy the Soma Prime for platinum. Got into a guys dojo and all of a sudden he says I have to be MR13 to get his Soma Prime. Well I'm confused because Warframe market and the codex and the wiki all say it's MR7. He got pretty upset and I was explaining that according to the codex that I should be able to buy the weapon. Can someone tell me if he was right or maybe he was trying to sell a different weapon? If everything I go by says MR7 required then what was the issue. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 23.3.2018 um 20:26 schrieb (XB1)moonLancer13:

So I'm a fairly new player to the game (MR8). I love it. Recently started doing a few trades and I decided to try and buy the Soma Prime for platinum. Got into a guys dojo and all of a sudden he says I have to be MR13 to get his Soma Prime. Well I'm confused because Warframe market and the codex and the wiki all say it's MR7. He got pretty upset and I was explaining that according to the codex that I should be able to buy the weapon. Can someone tell me if he was right or maybe he was trying to sell a different weapon? If everything I go by says MR7 required then what was the issue. Thanks in advance.

Go get the Tenora,it's easy to get. And the pl that you wanted to spend on a Soma Prime Set,you can buy a Tenora Riven instead,which makes it way better. 

A way to make the other person see in the future is by typing [soma prime] in chat, you can see the MR requirement there so this doesn't happen in future trades

And even if your MR didn't match the requirement (s)he could still trade it to you, you just wont be able to build it if your MR didn't match up

Edited by hellodownthere

3 hours ago, hellodownthere said:

And even if your MR didn't match the requirement (s)he could still trade it to you, you just wont be able to build it if your MR didn't match up

Actually you can't trade blueprints to things that are too high of MR for them. Src, experience with trying to give a friend a set of Galatine and Silva&Aegis so I wouldn't have to remember to keep a full set.  The rest of the parts are tradeable, only the BP is MR-locked.

7 minutes ago, TheBlueJelly said:

Actually you can't trade blueprints to things that are too high of MR for them. Src, experience with trying to give a friend a set of Galatine and Silva&Aegis so I wouldn't have to remember to keep a full set.  The rest of the parts are tradeable, only the BP is MR-locked.

oh really ? hm i didn't know that i don't trade that much. thank you for telling me that.

9 hours ago, Doomsknight said:

Poor Soma P... RIP 

It's just got overshadowed now.

Lol, so give it a nice buff, +2 more dmg per damage category, +5 more base crit, 5% more base status and 1x more crit dmg. 

Soma P still felt fine though....all the mobs feel nerfed some how.  Before, enemies were quite tough and I had trouble killing mobs beyond about lvl 60+ and any higher and it was a whole mag per enemy, now, up to the lvl 80-100 Sorties, I am able to kill em in about half 3/4 of my Tiberon mag.  Lower lvl enemies are basically all 1 shots.  The lvl 30-40 mobs?  I basically 1 shot them all.  Before it was atleast a nice burst of 10 rounds or so...

Tiberon got buffed big time in the weapon rework. A lot of guns as well, but several weapons are still forgotten.

Soma Prime is just a sad gun which is seeing its sunset. I put five forma in mine long ago and now I don't even use it anymore.

If they want to solve the Soma P, just give 40% base crit to allow exactly 100% crit chance. Maybe 14 base damage. Or they can follow the Sybaris P route and up damage + status.

3 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Tiberon got buffed big time in the weapon rework. A lot of guns as well, but several weapons are still forgotten.

Soma Prime is just a sad gun which is seeing its sunset. I put five forma in mine long ago and now I don't even use it anymore.

If they want to solve the Soma P, just give 40% base crit to allow exactly 100% crit chance. Maybe 14 base damage. Or they can follow the Sybaris P route and up damage + status.

Meh, other guns have significantly more base damage but now get similar or better crit chances, so, S#&$, just full on buff the Soma Prime.  12 to 20 dmg, 3x to 4x crit dmg.  30 to, like you say, 40% crit chance.  Allow that thing to remain the buzz saw it is.  Soma, do the same thing, but maybe 18 dmg, 3.5x crit dmg and 37.5% crit chance. 

@Datam4ss, @KnightCole

Or they can just let it be the over-rated garbage it's always been, but now at the defined power level of "MR 7" making its trashiness completely justified.

Gun's in a fine place, it's only really whelmed by weapons that re "bigger" than it on the MR scale, and it only falls off hard due to the kind of weapon it is (pure DPS).

28 minutes ago, TheBlueJelly said:

@Datam4ss, @KnightCole

Or they can just let it be the over-rated garbage it's always been, but now at the defined power level of "MR 7" making its trashiness completely justified.

Gun's in a fine place, it's only really whelmed by weapons that re "bigger" than it on the MR scale, and it only falls off hard due to the kind of weapon it is (pure DPS).

Umm, no?  I dont know why onewould make a gun then make it trash and keep it there.

Ive never under stood that logic, why you make something and then never buff it up so people will use the hell out of it.

Whats bad about pure DPS anyway?  Its what you need to win in warframe, extended amounts of pure DPS, or 1 button zone clearing nuke abilities...

Soma isnt that trashy really. 

47 minutes ago, KnightCole said:

Umm, no?  I dont know why onewould make a gun then make it trash and keep it there.

Ive never under stood that logic, why you make something and then never buff it up so people will use the hell out of it.

Whats bad about pure DPS anyway?  Its what you need to win in warframe, extended amounts of pure DPS, or 1 button zone clearing nuke abilities...

Soma isnt that trashy really. 

Okay so, the update they did to all the guns made MR actually mean something. As in, MR determines the DPS (burst and cycle), as well as Status/Crit allocations that a weapon has.

Thusly, an MR7 weapon should be significantly weaker than an MR14 weapon. This was an intentional design change with the weapon rebalance, and a very good one to boot! Thanks to this, we can gauge a weapon's over-all effectiveness by a single number (MR), have a clear progression in strength tied to MR, and are somewhat better guarded against powercreep by the mastery system itself. We can't just arbitrarily buff a weapon now, either, because that would change its MR- and if we move too many weapons up in MR, nobody new will be able to use them.

"What's bad about pure DPS anyway?" I never said something was bad about "pure DPS". The issue however is the way SomaP achieves its DPS. It's low DPB with a spool time and a loooooooong reload (3s). Weapons like the Tenora (MR 10) and Baza (MR 7) both use this same principle. In the former's case it's got 3 more MR's of power, a light sniper altfire, a better reload (2.5s), significantly better accuracy at full spool (Hyperion-designed stabilizers lol), and better DPB. In the latter's case, it picks up damage falloff (down to 50% past 34m), but gets better DPB, significantly better reload (1.4s), no spool time, and is even silenced. Hell you could also compare it to the Stradavar at MR 8, which is just all-around better than the SomaP with significantly better DPB, comparable accuracy, and even a semi-auto light sniper mode complete with DPB amp (28 -> 50).

The Soma Prime's problem isn't directly its damage output, it's everything else about it. Its damage output is just nowhere near high enough to "justify" the drop in everything else when compared to other weapons in the same "role".

Sure, the Soma Prime is a serviceable support weapon. But it's utter drek compared to how people treat it, and it's got plenty of better alternatives within a stone's throw of its MR.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Keep in mind the Soma Prime is MR7 now. This limits what it stats it can have. 

Personally, I don't agree it should be this low, but it is what it is. 

It's a good weapon and if your aim is true, it can punch way above it's present MR-based weight level. It's absolutely critical that you make your headshots with this gun because of the low base damage, but ultra-high damage modifier. 

25 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Keep in mind the Soma Prime is MR7 now. This limits what it stats it can have. 

Personally, I don't agree it should be this low, but it is what it is. 

It's a good weapon and if your aim is true, it can punch way above it's present MR-based weight level. It's absolutely critical that you make your headshots with this gun because of the low base damage, but ultra-high damage modifier. 

Only a 316.8 net on headcrit with vital, Not that crazy.

Same state gets the Baza (+0 MR) to 422.4, Tenora (+3 MR) also to 422.4, and Stradavar (+1 MR) to 492.8.

It's got the higher crit chance, but SomaP, Baza, and Tenora all have guaranteed crits with just Point+Argon.

Strad lands at 92% in full-auto in that state, but to be fair, the Stradavar is a DMAR not an HMG or SMG.

(Yes I am fun at parties)

Edited by TheBlueJelly

6 minutes ago, TheBlueJelly said:

Only a 316.8 net on headcrit with vital, Not that crazy.

It can hit 8.4x (I think, though that's assuming Hammershot, which isn't your best bet). That's high. Crits are headshots are extremely high. Of course, there's that low base damage...

7 minutes ago, TheBlueJelly said:

Strad lands at 92% in full-auto in that state, but to be fair, the Stradavar is a DMAR not an HMG or SMG.

Argon Scope isn't your best bet either. Guns in this game really don't fall into conventional classifications. 

The SomaP has much better handling than most of the weapons similar to it. The Tenora is definately mean, but misses like crazy until it full spools up, but then can't maintain it that long due to so much less ammo on tap. Also, it has higher base damage, so it somewhat less dependent on those headshots. The Baza is very good, but very range limited and has significant recoil and a relatively small magazine. 

The fact is the Supra Vandal dwarfs all these weapons when it comes to pure mayhem...but it's MR14 under the new system. 

1 hour ago, Sloan441 said:

It can hit 8.4x (I think, though that's assuming Hammershot, which isn't your best bet). That's high. Crits are headshots are extremely high. Of course, there's that low base damage...

Argon Scope isn't your best bet either. Guns in this game really don't fall into conventional classifications. 

The SomaP has much better handling than most of the weapons similar to it. The Tenora is definately mean, but misses like crazy until it full spools up, but then can't maintain it that long due to so much less ammo on tap. Also, it has higher base damage, so it somewhat less dependent on those headshots. The Baza is very good, but very range limited and has significant recoil and a relatively small magazine. 

The fact is the Supra Vandal dwarfs all these weapons when it comes to pure mayhem...but it's MR14 under the new system. 

Hammer Shot only gets the SomaP up to 403.2.

Additionally, Hammer Shot is a trap mod in 99% of cases. You get the same damage increase by adding a third ele/status mod than you get from Hammer Shot; you have to remember you're looking at a 2.2x -> 2.8x on crit for the relative power increase from HS, and that base cdam doesn't effect this relative increase.

Hell, even on the Eidolons, you'll get more damage out of your Lanka by slapping on PCryo instead of Hammer Shot, even with Radiation having a significantly better type matchup against alloy-over-robotic than Cold. Hammer Shot's time to shine was back in Damage 1.0 where it was one of the few ways to boost your bypassing damage (back when 90% DR was on almost all heavy enemies by lv45 or so and lv100 was common, not sortie/endless only).

Argon Scope is arguable on the Strad, agreed, but on Tenora/SomaP/Baza it's fairly good due to them all being based on followup shots and Argon's buff helping stabilize your damage. Especially the SomaP and Baza, as it takes your before-orange headshot damage from 20.3x normalized to 26.4x normalized (+30%) and raises your Hunter Munitions proc rate from 22.5% to 30% (+33.3%). Even the Tenora nets a +28.5% ish gain in damage once Argon is up and running- and in all cases (well, Tenora and SomaP) this is ignoring the further increase the occasional Orange gets you (15.5% chance on SomaP, I might add).

The Tenora's "poor" low-spool acc (which isn't actually THAT horrible) is made up for by the light sniper alt fire, which gets better crit chance than the SomaP (34% vs 30%) and an x3 mult and effectively perfect accuracy. This also counts for spool, I mgiht add, so you can transition into the full-auto with significantly better accuracy. Once spooled it's extremely accurate, firing a grouping tight enough to land ~90% of shots on a Titania in Razorwing at 166m. A full-burn also lasts quite a long while, I might add, usually suffering more from its somewhat low DPB.

Baza recoil... have you even actually used the Baza? It has rotational recoil not climbing recoil, and it still lands a super-tight grouping with significant damage at 100m. Try using it on the plains, it's actually really effective there in spite of the falloff and "recoil". And that mag size is offset by a very snappy 1.4s reload.

Also Supra Vandal is a status weapon primarily, not really a crit weapon. Looking at a normalized 118.4 headcrit (80, 320, 16%, 1). Very different beast. Prisma Gorgon is the one you'd probably want to enter into this running. MR 11, 23.1 base, 30 x2.3 crit. Gets a nice 467.544 vital headcrit, but its accuracy is more lackluster than the SomaP's iirc.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Eh, I personally only suggested buffing the Soma P and raising the MR because it was a fun gun with nice handling traits to boot. 

The closest gun in terms of usability to the Soma P right now is the Prisma Gorgon, which has significantly better damage per shot, isn't too far off in the handling department and only loses out in raw ammo capacity. Since reloads are a thing, this isn't actually an issue.

i wouldn't even mind losing half the magazine of the Soma P for a doubling of the damage per shot.

12 hours ago, TheBlueJelly said:

Okay so, the update they did to all the guns made MR actually mean something. As in, MR determines the DPS (burst and cycle), as well as Status/Crit allocations that a weapon has.

Thusly, an MR7 weapon should be significantly weaker than an MR14 weapon. This was an intentional design change with the weapon rebalance, and a very good one to boot! Thanks to this, we can gauge a weapon's over-all effectiveness by a single number (MR), have a clear progression in strength tied to MR, and are somewhat better guarded against powercreep by the mastery system itself. We can't just arbitrarily buff a weapon now, either, because that would change its MR- and if we move too many weapons up in MR, nobody new will be able to use them.

"What's bad about pure DPS anyway?" I never said something was bad about "pure DPS". The issue however is the way SomaP achieves its DPS. It's low DPB with a spool time and a loooooooong reload (3s). Weapons like the Tenora (MR 10) and Baza (MR 7) both use this same principle. In the former's case it's got 3 more MR's of power, a light sniper altfire, a better reload (2.5s), significantly better accuracy at full spool (Hyperion-designed stabilizers lol), and better DPB. In the latter's case, it picks up damage falloff (down to 50% past 34m), but gets better DPB, significantly better reload (1.4s), no spool time, and is even silenced. Hell you could also compare it to the Stradavar at MR 8, which is just all-around better than the SomaP with significantly better DPB, comparable accuracy, and even a semi-auto light sniper mode complete with DPB amp (28 -> 50).

The Soma Prime's problem isn't directly its damage output, it's everything else about it. Its damage output is just nowhere near high enough to "justify" the drop in everything else when compared to other weapons in the same "role".

Sure, the Soma Prime is a serviceable support weapon. But it's utter drek compared to how people treat it, and it's got plenty of better alternatives within a stone's throw of its MR.

Sooo, basically they are trying to turn this game into your typical MMORPG?  Lvl 7 gun stops working past Enemy lvl 70, MR14, can take you to enemy lvl 150, and so on?  Kinda lame honestly, I always figured this game should be more "pick your gun, any gun' and it can carry you to the end of time if you play it and spec it well. 

So basically its trying to become, Weapons X, Y and Z are no longer useful past a certain point, and the few end game guns will be just hte highest MR guns you can find?  So where are the MR25-30 guns?  With like 300% built in crit chance, 195 base dmg, 85% base status chance and stuff...since that is exactly how it sounds like its gunna go, which, btw, will actually totally fit right into the power creep scene, not guard against it, since the higher the MR, the better the weapon has to be....

Also, loooooong reload?  really?  really dude? 3s is a looooong reload?  You havent played Borderlands 2 or Planetside 2, any of the Battlefield games.  LMGs in Borderlands take 8s to reload.  In PS2, they take anywhere from 4-7s to reload.  Battlefield, it was 6.66s to reload most LMGs.  3s?  On a gun with 200 rounds in the mag?  3s hardly feels like a stoppage.  I mean, I notice it, but its hardly a problem, or con to the weapon. 

However, I more rate a 'looooong' reload based on the mag size of the weapon, its up time vs reload time.  IE: The old Sobek, it had like a 4s reload, but only a 20s mag, THAT is a loooooooong reload compared to the uptime of the gun, it spends more time firing then reloading.  3s on the regular soma, with its 100 rounds feels a little worse but still, its hardly loooong for the gun's up time. 

Honestly, id throw the MR rating right out the window and balance weapons based on their purpose and weapon class, with different variances within the weapons to keep it fresh. 

Edited by KnightCole

9 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Eh, I personally only suggested buffing the Soma P and raising the MR because it was a fun gun with nice handling traits to boot. 

The closest gun in terms of usability to the Soma P right now is the Prisma Gorgon, which has significantly better damage per shot, isn't too far off in the handling department and only loses out in raw ammo capacity. Since reloads are a thing, this isn't actually an issue.

i wouldn't even mind losing half the magazine of the Soma P for a doubling of the damage per shot.

Well, the SomaP still has those virtues, it's just tied to MR7. 

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree.  

The P-Gorgon is a monster at present. The only thing really holding it back are the lengthy spool up and considerable recoil. It used to be roughly equivalent to the base Soma, but now it's pretty much one of the best of the so-called LMG class guns, only eclipsed by the Supra Vandal. 

The Tenora looks better than ever. Again, the spool up time and relatively small magazine hold it back, but once it's up to speed it simply destroys. The real prize here will be the inevitable Tenora Prime--that should be...interesting. 

Regardless, they are what they are. I'm a bit disappointed the SomaP didn't get a higher mastery rating and the concomitant stats, but overall the revision of mastery ranks has been a welcome improvement. 

16 hours ago, KnightCole said:

Sooo, basically they are trying to turn this game into your typical MMORPG?  Lvl 7 gun stops working past Enemy lvl 70, MR14, can take you to enemy lvl 150, and so on?  Kinda lame honestly, I always figured this game should be more "pick your gun, any gun' and it can carry you to the end of time if you play it and spec it well. 

So basically its trying to become, Weapons X, Y and Z are no longer useful past a certain point, and the few end game guns will be just hte highest MR guns you can find?  So where are the MR25-30 guns?  With like 300% built in crit chance, 195 base dmg, 85% base status chance and stuff...since that is exactly how it sounds like its gunna go, which, btw, will actually totally fit right into the power creep scene, not guard against it, since the higher the MR, the better the weapon has to be....

Also, loooooong reload?  really?  really dude? 3s is a looooong reload?  You havent played Borderlands 2 or Planetside 2, any of the Battlefield games.  LMGs in Borderlands take 8s to reload.  In PS2, they take anywhere from 4-7s to reload.  Battlefield, it was 6.66s to reload most LMGs.  3s?  On a gun with 200 rounds in the mag?  3s hardly feels like a stoppage.  I mean, I notice it, but its hardly a problem, or con to the weapon. 

However, I more rate a 'looooong' reload based on the mag size of the weapon, its up time vs reload time.  IE: The old Sobek, it had like a 4s reload, but only a 20s mag, THAT is a loooooooong reload compared to the uptime of the gun, it spends more time firing then reloading.  3s on the regular soma, with its 100 rounds feels a little worse but still, its hardly loooong for the gun's up time. 

Honestly, id throw the MR rating right out the window and balance weapons based on their purpose and weapon class, with different variances within the weapons to keep it fresh. 

In a premium title, You'd be right on the nose.

Unfortunately, Warframe is a F2P, and they need to keep players working towards that next big thing.  If my Mk-1 Branton was as viable at max levels as my Tiberon Prime, why would I ever spend the time and effort farming the Tiberon Prime?