The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My thoughts on Peculiar Mods

Raspberry

1 hour ago, FashionFrame said:

Can't this literally be said with the mods, since it's just cosmetically affecting what you're shooting, and it's an option that YOU choose to use?

Because it seems from what has been shown, just cosmetics, only it's affecting your weapons and enemies in a grander scale. I choose to wear rainbows and be bright and beautiful, and if people don't like it, they laugh and poke fun at it. The mods seem to be just the same thing, it's just cosmetics, that will hinder your mod capabilities for some funky looks.

So a few sprinkles and effects on a warframe is affecting how you play when put onto an enemy, when they're literally just cosmetics that spread to other enemies. But you're fine with people wearing and dressing up in bright outfits, have blinding colors spraying everywhere, and wearing silly skins, weapons and warframes. Seems contradictory again.

I guess DE is also prioritizing our fun as well. If you have to quit, again, no one is stopping you. The mod is of little importance, it's so trivial that we literally can't grasp how you could quit over it, but well, it is opinion, just a very small, minority of an opinion. Since it isn't too big of an issue for the majority of players, DE won't be changing this. But we won't be looking back if players like you quit.

For somebody who says they aren't phased by me potentially stopping to play you seem rather hung up by it and making a huge deal out of something which was specifically stated in the context of somebody claiming that I would be forced to endure this and had to accept that. I am however not forced to endure it...because...like I said...if it becomes too much of a bother (a part of that sentence which you continue to ignore) I will simply shelf this game....and I know a few others who will as well. 

It is exactly the fact that they affect enemies in such a way which is the reason why I say that these mods should not be in the game. It isn't rocket science. So I do not understand why you have difficulty distinguishing between things that affect your warframe only and things that alter the world we play in. These mods affect the world we play in. This means that when you have that mod equipped the enemies others shoot at will become cartoon caricatures. This directly affects how others experience that game and directly affects their immersion. A silly hat does not do that. Or to a much, much lesser extend. 

There is a huge gap between things that only affect how you look and things that alter reality and how enemies appear to everybody. Try to look at it like this: there is a huge difference between you painting your car pink and installing colored led lights under it and you painting the entire street and everything in it pink. Not a really good analogy since it doesn't compare to something that actually alters reality but it might just be sufficient for you to understand the huge distinction between the two concepts. 

Now...as for DE prioritizing your fun. The fact that they implement this rubbish that goes against everything they said in the past (instantly making them hypocritical for arguing that we can't have silly cosmetics because they detract from the tone of the game) or the fact that you think a majority like the mods...does not mean that it is a good idea or good for the game. DE made plenty of additions to the game that were a huge mistake or actually made the game worse...and they had to retract on those decisions. Whether they will on this...probably not. This does not negate the fact that these mods are a godawful addition to the game.  

Like people have already mentioned and discussed , if peculiar mods are transmuted (for lack of a better word), into already existing mods like barrel diffusion to make a "peculiar barrel diffusion" its at least understandable to a certain degree, since this game is all about the player power fantasy and I am going to min-max stuff and do not have a place for cosmetic mods. Either that or provide an exilus slot for weapons to put such mods on.

However, regarding how this new game mode is "for vets" with peculiar mods that are going to be the only "new" rewards is just pathetic. There are going to be other rewards but in all probability its going to be endo/ relics etc. which are already in the game and nothing new. Just look at the new eidolons, recycled arcanes form raids, plague star recycled lephantis with the same damn bugs as the first release, to name a few. This game mode is going to end like defection if that is the case i.e., play it to get the frame and then move on. Personally i feel that the current state in which these mods are to be implemented is just awful to put it lightly. Of course the final verdict is only possible on release.

Edited by --Q--Kyl0Ren

Personaly im against by making the game looks ridiculous. This is not what fun means to me (at least when im playing WF). I just feel this doesnt fit on the whole warframe's concept we have till now.

But well, if some people want to use them, i would prefer these mods fit on their own slot (as for stances) and maybe having a negative (like rivens have, but in smaller ammount) . With that way, u could choose to use one or not, without sacrifice any other mod and cause of that small negavite, u still wouldnt just see everyone using them.

And like that, everyone would be happy i guess. Sorry for my english is not my main language.

I think the only option for these mods to not make a complete joke out of everything DE claimed about cosmetics and how serious they take the look of the game....is to make them affect personal experience only. Or if a slider is implemented which lets people disable the visuals of these mods and opt out of being affected by them. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

I think the only option for these mods to not make a complete joke out of everything DE claimed about cosmetics and how serious they take the look of the game....is to make them affect personal experience only. Or if a slider is implemented which lets people disable the visuals of these mods and opt out of being affected by them. 

Well this idea is best for me. But it wouldnt please some people who likes that "Peculiar mod " feature and the idea that you must "sacrifice" something for having them (a probably slot in this case, or a negative in mine). Plus imagine a squad with the half people talking on the chat, about something the other half cannot see, cause they simple have it disable and dont care about it.  

39 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

For somebody who says they aren't phased by me potentially stopping to play you seem rather hung up by it and making a huge deal out of something which was specifically stated in the context of somebody claiming that I would be forced to endure this and had to accept that. I am however not forced to endure it...because...like I said...if it becomes too much of a bother (a part of that sentence which you continue to ignore) I will simply shelf this game....and I know a few others who will as well. 

It is exactly the fact that they affect enemies in such a way which is the reason why I say that these mods should not be in the game. It isn't rocket science. So I do not understand why you have difficulty distinguishing between things that affect your warframe only and things that alter the world we play in. These mods affect the world we play in. This means that when you have that mod equipped the enemies others shoot at will become cartoon caricatures. This directly affects how others experience that game and directly affects their immersion. A silly hat does not do that. Or to a much, much lesser extend. 

There is a huge gap between things that only affect how you look and things that alter reality and how enemies appear to everybody. Try to look at it like this: there is a huge difference between you painting your car pink and installing colored led lights under it and you painting the entire street and everything in it pink. Not a really good analogy since it doesn't compare to something that actually alters reality but it might just be sufficient for you to understand the huge distinction between the two concepts. 

Now...as for DE prioritizing your fun. The fact that they implement this rubbish that goes against everything they said in the past (instantly making them hypocritical for arguing that we can't have silly cosmetics because they detract from the tone of the game) or the fact that you think a majority like the mods...does not mean that it is a good idea or good for the game. DE made plenty of additions to the game that were a huge mistake or actually made the game worse...and they had to retract on those decisions. Whether they will on this...probably not. This does not negate the fact that these mods are a godawful addition to the game.  

Not really a huge deal to me, just trying to grasp and understand, but I unattended your analogy of the car and street reference. Just don't let the door hit you on the way out of you're going to let people get to you because of the mods. That definitely seems more of a big deal that you make out of it than me. Just saying. 

But I'll just leave it at that. We both opinionate it in different ways, but as the community stands, most are just upset it takes up mod spacs and that veterans think there needs to be more implemented in end game for this game mode. DE really doesn't focus hard on the small groups of unhappy people. Take the raids as a great example. 

But I remember you mentioned an option that you can turn off the visuals. That's a great idea! Definitely everyone can be happy, but if you want that, post to feedback. DE listens greatly there. 

But that's all I have left to say on the matter. We have conflicting opinions, but the best resolve is that idea you had. Let's make it a thing! 

1 minute ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

which some people disagree with it

Then it is a fantastic thing that the forums don't develop the game. People disagree when they add too many new things and ignore old things. People complain that there are no new things when they are redoing old things. People complain about new frames. People complain regardless.

3 minutes ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

Well this idea is best for me. But it wouldnt please some people who likes that "Peculiar mod " feature and the idea that you must "sacrifice" something for having them (a probably slot in this case, or a negative in mine). Plus imagine a squad with the half people talking on the chat, about something the other half cannot see, cause they simple have it disable and dont care about it.  

Well...that pretty much sums up clan, alliance and world chat for me. So it wouldn't change anything :D 

If people like perculiar mods that is fine...and they should enjoy that on their own or with people who also like and enjoy peculiar mods. If it displeases them that others do not like them and do not want their game world polluted with their effects...then that is really not a problem anybody should concern themselves with. 

Just now, peterc3 said:

Then it is a fantastic thing that the forums don't develop the game. People disagree when they add too many new things and ignore old things. People complain that there are no new things when they are redoing old things. People complain about new frames. People complain regardless.

Are you sure they dont "develop the game" (affect it) somehow? DE nerfed ember excactly cause some people were complaining about their kills..

Its going to be something that DE will forget about anyways, no need to dwell on it too much and start changing aspects of the game just to fit it in there.

Both sides, the people for and against it are making such a big deal out of something they themselves will forget about in a few weeks.

Just let them release it, it will lose its novelty in a month and DE will move on to the next thing.

Edited by Midrib

6 minutes ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

Are you sure they dont "develop the game" (affect it) somehow? DE nerfed ember excactly cause some people were complaining about their kills..

You're in for a treat if you think DE nerfed ember just because people complained about her.

5 minutes ago, Midrib said:

You're in for a treat if you think DE nerfed ember just because people complained about her.

Especially since she's can still do what those people complained about. They changed her because the community noiss made them look at her and her playtime metrics and decided they didn't want players just toggling on the ability without any thought to it because it goes against whatever design philosophy for Ember that they have.

Edited by Hypernaut1

11 minutes ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

I can guarantee it doesn't affect the game in any real way. Forum posts, twitter pings and whatnot may bring attention to something, but they don't change things because people whine on the internet.

2 minutes ago, Midrib said:

Maybe not only for that,but it played a large part on it. DE takes seriously the forum and the "complains". so the state " Then it is a fantastic thing that the forums don't develop the game " is not 100% valid

2 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Especially since she's can still do what those people complained about. They changed her because the community noiss made them look at her and her playtime metrics and decided they didn't want players just toggling on the ability without any thought to it because it goes against whatever design philosophy for Ember that they have.

then why they didnt nerf equinox as well? Seriously he can do what ember could and better, which is still against that "design philosophy". Well maybe, cause not many people complained about him so far. Anyway this is not an "ember" discussion.

Just now, One-shot-one-miss said:

Maybe not only for that,but it played a large part on it. DE takes seriously the forum and the "complains". so the state " Then it is a fantastic thing that the forums don't develop the game " is not 100% valid

Forums, reddit, twitter, those are all references for devs. They don't just change something because random guy A says they don't like it. Devs see why and change accordingly, at least that's the feeling i got these past few years.

On topic :

The mod space it took itself is already a downside. I don't see people using these on their builds unless it's a funsies build. Why try and gimp other people's fun? A simple on and off switch a la octavia's mandachord for allies would be sufficient imo.

6 minutes ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

Not really it didn't, the most action the forums can instigate from DE is it will make them consider it or look into the situation for a minute, The Forums complained about Raids, Hema research, Sibear/Vauban prime costs...etc, it still goes how DE wants it. there are plenty of examples that constantly shows that DE doesn't always follow what the forums say, far more than what shows otherwise.

Edited by Midrib

4 hours ago, Atekron said:

don't call anime cartoon! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Don't call warframe Anime. It pulls on lots of sources and traditions, and while there is some Anime influence there's not enough to tar it with that label. Or do I guess. >_> I can't control you. I just think 98% of anime is garbage, so I guess I kind of see it as an insult to a great game.

DE, peculiar mods are a good idea, some goofy mods that add no gameplay changes and are just for the looks.To be completely honest I am not a big fan of that idea, why waste your time and resources adding something that's going to be used for 20 min and never touched again, but if you already determined that you are going to add them I would like to suggest that you make them affect gameplay. I think it would be a good idea to make them work similarly to corrupted mods but make their stats ridiculous. This way they could be used with some weapons although they would generally be considered as bad mods. Here are some of my ideas:

1. -90% accuracy          Bullets explode dealing 5% of their dmg in a 1m radius (they still do full dmg when they hit a target directly)

2. Bullets bounce 2 times but will only dmg an enemy after the first bounce 

3.+10.00 fire rate           -90% bullet speed  

4.Turns all of the weapons dmg to Impact            Bullets have a sharp drop 

5.The last bullet in a magazine will go through targets and have 100% to apply radiation proc.                -50% magazine size

6.Bullets will try to follow your cursor (just a tiny bit)                       -100% crit chance and status

7.Bullets will bounce once                      -25% dmg and additional -15% dmg for each elemental dmg type  

8.-75% hp                +350% shield recharge

9.- 300% ability efficiency                             +300 ability power

10.-90% ability power                             +30% movement speed,jump hight,wall latch,aim glide

11.Knockdown  duration +3 sec                      +500 armor 

12.Disabled bullet jump                                    third ability triggers twice 

13.Bullets go zig-zag                                      +5 sec reload time 

14. Beam weapons will curve to hit the target                                    If there are no targets it will hit the player instead  

In my opinion these should not be mods at all, but be a cosmetic "attachment" for the weapon, and allow players a toggle in the options to disable none, or disable others' effects. There is no reason for these to be mods, because otherwise no one will use them. Making them a slot will cause people to complain that DE is willing to add a slot for something like this, but not something else. We all know what they will be complaining about.

7 minutes ago, One-shot-one-miss said:

then why they didnt nerf equinox as well? Seriously he can do what ember could and better, which is still against that "design philosophy". Well maybe, cause not many people complained about him so far. Anyway this is not an "ember" discussion.

Equinox and Ember 4 played far differently. It's not about just getting "too many kills" it's about doing nothing to get those kills.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

They don't just change something because random guy A says they don't like it.

Why try and gimp other people's fun?

1) a singe random guy no. Many  community guys maybe. Thats the point of a community. Showing  what  custumers likes and what they dont. Then a company is considering changing things or not according these for making the product better for their custumers

2) who is trying that?