Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My thoughts on Peculiar Mods

Raspberry

38 minutes ago, Iludra said:

<rant> I don't understand all the whining about this topic. It's not like you will be forced to use these mods. Don't like it - don't use it, problem solved. </rant>

The community on the forums is so prone to this that the game can be renamed Whineframe with noone the wiser.

Can't wait to spend some mod points for something goofy. Thankfully there are loadouts to separate my 'tryhard super cereal grind'n' frame from my 'putzing around starmap for fun' frame. 

Some players are too greedy for power when we already have more than nessesary. It's almost shameful they couldn't possibly consider a price that requires some of that power.  OP should know. His clanmates just did a 10 hour survival. Seems the game is broke enough to spare a slot...

Edited by Firetempest

13 minutes ago, CheezThePimp said:

The excuse of it will cluster the screen and view with nonsense vfx is cheap considering all the eyesore that goes down in this game. I highly doubt someone will even notice.

As for the excuse of efficient/efective builds and gameplay there is a solution: friends/clan or recruit chat.

As the devs stated there is no point in using the mods aside from novelty or if you want to get yelled in chat by players for no reasons that think that you should play the game as they want.

They also have another use and its to dillute the loot pool of the new mode.

I for one will use the flower one for eidolon caps to tribute Terry, Garry and Harry sacrificing for our focus system

The true question is, will the flower mod be a permenant fixture in your load out , compared to a serration, or a 90% elemental mod?

Even after the novelty wears off after a month?

Time will tell.

9 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

The true question is, will the flower mod be a permenant fixture in your load out , compared to a serration, or a 90% elemental mod?

Time will tell.

No, it won't be. And it would seem that's kind of the idea. That you're NOT supposed to be running around with these things 24/7. Because they're silly. They're a gag. Something fun to equip when messing around. Not stuff everyone should be firing off when getting sweaty in high level content.

Devs release mods whose entire purpose is to be useless power wise and to gimp builds-- players gets mad because the mods that are supposed to provide no power and gimp builds , provide no power and gimp builds. 

They are not supposed to be used 100% of the time, they are not even supposed to be used throughout the whole of Warframe's life time, the devs know this , and you should understand this as well. Don't like them? Don't use them. Crying about visual clutter when sometimes we can barely see anything because of the explosions and powers going on on screen is quite a weak argument as well. 

1 hour ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

As per title, cosmetic granting perks should remain purely cosmetic. 

I would suggest taking a page out of the recent arcane rework, which rightfully decoupled power granting enhancements from the cosmetic system, like syndanas and helmets.

Perhaps allow 2 peculiar enhancement slots to be allocated to each warframe / weapon etc.

That way you get to keep your build loadout, retain power, and not inundate the community with excessive VFX . Imagine a full loadout of 10 or 20 perculiar VFX. That's a whole different problem.

TL;DR : Create peculiar VFX slots per weapons or warframe, decouple cosmetics from power granting mod slots.

Thats the purpose of these mods. To waste your mod slot just to look cool with flowers and staff. 

I wouldnt waste too much thought on this topic if I were you. They created them for fun.

Personally cant wait to put them on ignis and release flower blower.

Edited by Lemonade_Joe

2 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

Devs release mods whose entire purpose is to be useless power wise and to gimp builds-- players gets mad because the mods that are supposed to provide no power and gimp builds , provide no power and gimp builds. 

They are not supposed to be used 100% of the time, they are not even supposed to be used throughout the whole of Warframe's life time, the devs know this , and you should understand this as well. Don't like them? Don't use them. Crying about visual clutter when sometimes we can barely see anything because of the explosions and powers going on on screen is quite a weak argument as well. 

Visual clutter is not a weak argument.

The devs have tweaked mirage, beam weapons etc. purely to optimize the performance of warframe.

The peculiar system in its current state is rudimentary in my opinion, and has potential to be further refined, hence the suggestions.

22 minutes ago, CheezThePimp said:

They also have another use and its to dillute the loot pool of the new mode.

This is the only thing I could complain about. I already know I'll find one before I complete Khora and I will be like: :facepalm:

...Unless they decide to make them drop only from "hardcore mode": if that's the case, no complaints at all from me.

7 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

Time will tell.

You seem to have an uncanny obsession with the mods having to be permanent and contribute to the build.

Their own reason to exist is for min/maxers and powercreeps(not insulting) to swap that elemental for a derp mod.

DE knew that th min/maxers and powercreeps would be the least group of players to equip these types of mods and it will be the average Joe that is happy to survive lvl 100 enemies that will have a blast.

As for me, if the novelty wears off I take the mod off.

And as other players said. If you dont like the mod dont use it. Its the most effective and efficient solution to this problem that shouldnt even exist in the first place

2 minutes ago, CheezThePimp said:

You seem to have an uncanny obsession with the mods having to be permanent and contribute to the build.

Their own reason to exist is for min/maxers and powercreeps(not insulting) to swap that elemental for a derp mod.

DE knew that th min/maxers and powercreeps would be the least group of players to equip these types of mods and it will be the average Joe that is happy to survive lvl 100 enemies that will have a blast.

As for me, if the novelty wears off I take the mod off.

And as other players said. If you dont like the mod dont use it. Its the most effective and efficient solution to this problem that shouldnt even exist in the first place

Not really, on the contrary I have high hopes for these peculiar mods. Of course flowers are pretty derp.

But what if DE created a VFX that allowed your arrows to to shoot out visual fireballs.

Or allowed your amprex to fire out beams a la ghostbusters proton gun.

Those are effects I would love to have permanently on my weapon. But have to sacrifice a mod slot?

And I'm sure we all would be torn between having to look cool (fashion frame) vs. effectiveness in battle. 

15 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

Not really, on the contrary I have high hopes for these peculiar mods. Of course flowers are pretty derp.

But what if DE created a VFX that allowed your arrows to to shoot out visual fireballs.

Or allowed your amprex to fire out beams a la ghostbusters proton gun.

Those are effects I would love to have permanently on my weapon. But have to sacrifice a mod slot?

And I'm sure we all would be torn between having to look cool (fashion frame) vs. effectiveness in battle. 

The mods dont make you shoot flowers or pew pews(as in flying text)at the enemy.(not that i know) 

The mods simply add effects to your IPS/statuts/crit procs.

And to finish this nonsense, bc it mindboglling,DE wants you to sacrifice that power for bling. You want power, no bling for you and viceversa.

If you want efficient/effective gameplay you dont equip the mods.

Its not that  hard of a concept to grasp.

What you all are suggesting is for DE to let us be powercreeps while also having bling.

1 hour ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

not inundate the community with excessive VFX . Imagine a full loadout of 10 or 20 perculiar VFX. That's a whole different problem.

This'll happen maybe a handful of times before people get bored of it. It's not going to become a huge issue.

Just now, CheezThePimp said:

The mods dont make you shoot flowers or pew pews(as in flying text)at the enemy.(not that i know) 

The mods simply add effects to your IPS/statuts/crit procs.

And to finish this nonsense, bc it mindboglling,DE wants you to sacrifice that power for bling. You want power, no bling for you and viceversa.

If you want efficient/effective gameplay you dont equip the mods.

Its not that  hard of a concept to grasp.

What you all are suggesting is for DE to let us be powercreeps while also having bling.

As stated, the system has potential to be expanded, from damage effects, to weapon effects.

Even the a status effect of having enemies explode with gore on death would be something most wouldn't mind having permenantly on a weapon. And no one would want to sacrifice a mod slot for that.

There is no power creep by simply adding a cosmetic slot for weapon/ damage VFX.

Prime warframes are power creeps with bling, and with your line of reasoning, they should not exist as well.

36 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

Doesn't explain anything

Nothing?! Oh my...

36 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

except that it's just for fun. 

Oh.. you actually meant they explained everything, the whole point of those mods. Never mind then.

Can we please stop now?

3 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

This'll happen maybe a handful of times before people get bored of it. It's not going to become a huge issue.

It won't become an issue if the only two VFX DE have planned are flowers and stars.

If you get fireballs, laser beams, particle effects, lighting systems DE Steve is currently developing , it'll be a different story.

Conversely, Some of the effects you may even actually  like to have  permenantly have on your weapon. E.g. shooting out lighting or fireball arrows.

It'll be pretty meh to have to sacrifice a mod slot for a cosmetic change and gimp your build. Sure you could, but why? It's just cosmetic.

I would have been happy to use them yesterday evening. A clan mate whom I never did any mission with called for an AoE frame in the party (actually there were 3 Rhinos whith me being an offneder) and I stated that my Sobek + Acid Shells was mroe than enough. End of 20th Relic Defense round I had more kills than the AoE frame he called for (barely, something like 670 to 640) but still... Now I could have done the smae with less damage, doing so with flair would have benn very very funny :D

Also in Hemocyte missions I had people stating, literally, "my lawd, that damage!" seeing me obliterate a dozen of Grineer with a single trigger pull. Adding hearts/flowers/stars would really be interesting for me. It's new content, it has the potential of being funny at no cost (currently farming Vestan moss on Mercury... I do not need more power, it looks like a chore, having fun would be eagerly accepted).

Edited by den2k

14 minutes ago, --Q--Ascended-Seraphim said:

As stated, the system has potential to be expanded, from damage effects, to weapon effects.

Even the a status effect of having enemies explode with gore on death would be something most wouldn't mind having permenantly on a weapon. And no one would want to sacrifice a mod slot for that.

There is no power creep by simply adding a cosmetic slot for weapon/ damage VFX.

Prime warframes are power creeps with bling, and with your line of reasoning, they should not exist as well.

Yes, the system can be expanded but not by adding a utility mod slot for weapons.

Its easy achievable to add a new tab in the weapons skin section for us to have our sparkly beam, fire arrows or whatever at cost of plat ofc but not the novelty effect these mods have.

The point is, these mods are made for novelty with the obscure intention of dilluting loot tables and require you to sacrifice a mod if you want the novelty effect.

If you want a sparkly beam or fire arrow suggest DE to add new weapons customization.

As for the primes aside from cherry picking, hit me up when they are able to grow flowers or have stars floating on enemies.