Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban: The Engineer That Doesn't Really Do Engineering

(PSN)LoisGordils

Hi, guys! 🙂

Vauban is one of the classic Warframes. His Bastille, along with its augment, have been praised as one of the most efficient defensive, area negation abilities in the game. However, when it comes down to it, Vauban is mediocre and stale. He's not really an engineer and some of his abilities are redundant. The purpose of this rework is to pretty much pay an homage to his theme as a tactician and engineer by providing him with unmatched versatility.

Problems:

1. Abilities are redundant. Tesla stuns and CC enemies, Minelayer stuns and CC, Bastille CC, Vortex CC. Pretty monotonous.

2. His abilities fail to give that "engineer" or tactician vibe. 

3. He could use some supportive skills unique to him.

4. The only ability you'll really only use is Bastille and the occasional Vortex.

Rework:

Passive: The armor buff is a flat 50 points per ally Tenno within the Affinity range. Nothing too crazy.

Abilities:

1. Resupply: A cycling ability in which Vauban deploys a variety of supply items for the squad: Ammo, health, energy and shields. Allowing him to support his squad (and himself) in a more versatile way.

2. Minelayer: I actually like the idea of Minelayer, but don't very much enjoy the execution (Bounce needs to go, for Lotus' sake). Let's try to rework some of the available mines:

- Concuss: Pretty solid actually, just wish we could see more clearly where the mine actually is.

-Disable: Replaces Bounce. This mine emits an EMP that will impair machinery and jam enemy weapons.

-Trip Laser: No longer has a duration. A maximum of six wires are deployable. An enemy that passes through it will trigger the explosives attached at each end of the wire. Dealing damage to enemies nearby. Explosion damage has a 30% crit chance, base 200 Blast and a 20% status chance. Scales with Primary weapon mods. Trying to give it some scaling potential, you know 🙂

-Shred: Remove the annoying ragdoll effect. The Shred mine releases shrapnel in an AoE. Sundering armor and dealing heavy Puncture damage with a chance to proc Slash. Damage scales with Primary weapon mods

3. Bastille: Tap to deploy a Bastille cage, hold to deploy a Vortex. To me, Vortex never really felt like an ultimate ability and given how it's simply another ragdoll CC ability, why not integrate it with Bastille?

4. Sentry: Nearly all Vauban reworks I've seen suggest that he deploy some sort of turret. I for one love this idea. Hold to cycle between the different variations of Sentry that best suits the situation. There's Barrage (full auto), Sharpshooter (slow-firing sniping turret), Mortar (well, mortar) and Close Quarters (shotgun). The Sentry is deployed in front of Vauban, is immovable, and lasts until it is destroyed. The Sentry's armor is affected by Vauban's passive and can be manually operated by Vauban (akin to how we can fire and operate Grineer Rampart turrets). If destroyed, Sentry has a 30 second cooldown. 

There, my take on Vauban's rework.

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

I was thinking about it differently. Here are my thoughts. 

Passive: (Vauban's play style has nothing to do with tanking, so an armour buff passive is useless, however, seeing as he is an engineer, he should get an increase in power duration/efficiency for every ally in radius, so) Gains 5% Power efficiency for every team mate in range.

Ability 1: Mine Layer: Get rid of Tesla completely and move it into mine layer or just scrap it. We have two useless abilities in mine layer which are trip wire and bounce. I think there should be an armour stripping grenade, so "Shred", an antipersonnel grenade, "Concuss", a support grenade, "Care package", and a biological weapons grenade, "Bio-Hazard" 

- Shred: Strips a percentage of enemy armour in a certain radius. The amount of armour stripped scales with power strength, the area of effect scales with power range, and the effect duration scales with power duration. 

- Concuss: Inflicts a radiation status proc to enemies within a certain radius. The area of effect scales with power range, and the effect duration scales with power duration.

- Care Package: Vauban deploys a care package that heals allies within a certain radius. The health per second can be increased with power strength mods, the duration Care Package is active can be increased with duration mods, and of course, the radius that health is supplied can be increased with range mods. 

- Bio-Hazard: Vauban throws a grenade that emits a viral gas, causing a viral status proc on enemies within range. The status chance is increased with power strength mods, the duration the grenade is active is increased with duration mods, and the area of effect is increased with range mods. 

Ability 2: Deflect: Seeing as Vauban is the engineer, he has some pretty cool tricks up his sleeve. Deflect emits a field around Vauban and nearby allies that will block and reflect incoming projectiles from enemies. This is a channelled ability that becomes more energy expensive to use over time, so it is a good idea to use it when allies are in range. Efficiency mods will decrease the cost of use, while power strength mods will increase the damage multiplier on projectiles that are deflected back at enemies.

Ability 3: Bastille. Vauban would not be Vauban without this iconic ability, but it requires tweaks. Once Bastille has been cast, recasting the ability while aiming at the active Bastille will cause an electrified current that will sap energy from enemies and give it to allies within Bastille. Holding down Bastille while a Bastille is active will cause all active Bastilles to compress into Vortexes, with decreased range and duration in comparison to the Vortex currently in Vauban's kit. Range is of course affected by range mods, duration is affected by duration mods, and the amount of energy sapped per second is affected by strength mods. 

Ability 4: Sentry: Warframe is a game where versatile play is required, so having a stationary turret doesn't seem appealing in all scenarios, but it would come in handy for fortifying an area, such as defence, mobile defence, survival, etc. But when it comes to a more mobile game mode such as assassination or exterminate, a turret would not be practical. That is why Vauban should have the option to cycle between a sentry turret or a drone. The Sentry turret will have burst fire weapons, while the drone will have rapid fire weapons. The health of each of these options is affected by the health mods on Vauban, the damage is affected by power strength, the duration is affected by power duration, and the line of sight will be affected by range mods. 

These were my thoughts for a rework for Vauban.

46 minutes ago, Logan_Burns2 said:

Ability 3: Bastille. Vauban would not be Vauban without this iconic ability, but it requires tweaks. Once Bastille has been cast, recasting the ability while aiming at the active Bastille will cause an electrified current that will sap energy from enemies and give it to allies within Bastille. Holding down Bastille while a Bastille is active will cause all active Bastilles to compress into Vortexes, with decreased range and duration in comparison to the Vortex currently in Vauban's kit. Range is of course affected by range mods, duration is affected by duration mods, and the amount of energy sapped per second is affected by strength mods. 

I really like this solution to Bastille and Vortex!

27 minutes ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

Absolute no to anything replacing vortex. It is by far one of the better abilities in the game. Engineer does not mean turrets... he is not that type of "engineer"

What kind of engineer creates black holes?

8 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

What kind of engineer creates black holes?

there are over 40 types of Engineers, among those Aerospace, Quantum, Nano and Photonics
Engineers are not only mechs and machines

Also this is in the far distant future

Edited by -.SP.-G43riel

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Passive: The armor buff is a flat 50 points per ally Tenno within the Affinity range. Nothing too crazy.

I think his passive could be changed to something more thematic, but I'm not sure what that would be, and I also don't have a huge problem with it as-is.

1. Resupply: A cycling ability in which Vauban deploys a variety of supply items for the squad: Ammo, health, energy and shields. Allowing him to support his squad (and himself) in a more versatile way.

I think this would be a great ability. Although maybe, instead of cycling, he could just provide all things at once. Maybe someone in the squad needs ammo while another needs health, and keeping track of all those things during Warframe's fast-paced combat might be a little much. I also like @Logan_Burns2's suggestion to integrate it into the cycling grenade ability, which frees up space for another ability.

2. Minelayer: I actually like the idea of Minelayer, but don't very much enjoy the execution (Bounce needs to go, for Lotus' sake). Let's try to rework some of the available mines:

I don't have much feedback on the minelayer ability, but I think DE will probably keep Bounce in there forever for nostalgia's sake. It was the original ability at the start. Then again… "Super Jump".

Explosion damage has a 30% crit chance, base 200 Blast and a 20% status chance. Scales with Primary weapon mods.

Also, some of the mines scaling with weapon mods? I think that'd be cool, but remember that DE are planning on making exalted weapons modded separately. As far as I know, they haven't given details on what that means for things like Atlas' Landslide and other abilities that are "pseudo-exalted", but maybe keep in mind that abilities scaling with equipped mods might work differently in the future.

3. Bastille: Tap to deploy a Bastille cage, hold to deploy a Vortex. To me, Vortex never really felt like an ultimate ability and given how it's simply another ragdoll CC ability, why not integrate it with Bastille?

2 hours ago, Logan_Burns2 said:

Ability 3: Bastille. Vauban would not be Vauban without this iconic ability, but it requires tweaks. Once Bastille has been cast, recasting the ability while aiming at the active Bastille will cause an electrified current that will sap energy from enemies and give it to allies within Bastille. Holding down Bastille while a Bastille is active will cause all active Bastilles to compress into Vortexes, with decreased range and duration in comparison to the Vortex currently in Vauban's kit. Range is of course affected by range mods, duration is affected by duration mods, and the amount of energy sapped per second is affected by strength mods

I think both of these are cool suggestions. I'm not sure if Bastille giving energy is too much, but it may be unnecessary anyway if his "support" deployable grants energy as well.

4. Sentry: Nearly all Vauban reworks I've seen suggest that he deploy some sort of turret. I for one love this idea. Hold to cycle between the different variations of Sentry that best suits the situation. There's Barrage (full auto), Sharpshooter (slow-firing sniping turret), Mortar (well, mortar) and Close Quarters (shotgun). The Sentry is deployed in front of Vauban, is immovable, and lasts until it is destroyed. The Sentry's armor is affected by Vauban's passive and can be manually operated by Vauban (akin to how we can fire and operate Grineer Rampart turrets). If destroyed, Sentry has a 30 second cooldown. 

Ability 4: Sentry: Warframe is a game where versatile play is required, so having a stationary turret doesn't seem appealing in all scenarios, but it would come in handy for fortifying an area, such as defence, mobile defence, survival, etc. But when it comes to a more mobile game mode such as assassination or exterminate, a turret would not be practical. That is why Vauban should have the option to cycle between a sentry turret or a drone. The Sentry turret will have burst fire weapons, while the drone will have rapid fire weapons. The health of each of these options is affected by the health mods on Vauban, the damage is affected by power strength, the duration is affected by power duration, and the line of sight will be affected by range mods. 

I agree that stationary sentries might not be the best fit with the mobile nature of most missions, but I do think that some sort of deployable turret, whether mobile or stationary, should be added in any rework.

Ability 2: Deflect: Seeing as Vauban is the engineer, he has some pretty cool tricks up his sleeve. Deflect emits a field around Vauban and nearby allies that will block and reflect incoming projectiles from enemies. This is a channelled ability that becomes more energy expensive to use over time, so it is a good idea to use it when allies are in range. Efficiency mods will decrease the cost of use, while power strength mods will increase the damage multiplier on projectiles that are deflected back at enemies.

Oh, I love this ability suggestion.

44 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

I think his passive could be changed to something more thematic, but I'm not sure what that would be, and I also don't have a huge problem with it as-is.

I think this would be a great ability. Although maybe, instead of cycling, he could just provide all things at once. Maybe someone in the squad needs ammo while another needs health, and keeping track of all those things during Warframe's fast-paced combat might be a little much. I also like @Logan_Burns2's suggestion to integrate it into the cycling grenade ability, which frees up space for another ability.

I don't have much feedback on the minelayer ability, but I think DE will probably keep Bounce in there forever for nostalgia's sake. It was the original ability at the start. Then again… "Super Jump".

Also, some of the mines scaling with weapon mods? I think that'd be cool, but remember that DE are planning on making exalted weapons modded separately. As far as I know, they haven't given details on what that means for things like Atlas' Landslide and other abilities that are "pseudo-exalted", but maybe keep in mind that abilities scaling with equipped mods might work differently in the future.

I think both of these are cool suggestions. I'm not sure if Bastille giving energy is too much, but it may be unnecessary anyway if his "support" deployable grants energy as well.

I agree that stationary sentries might not be the best fit with the mobile nature of most missions, but I do think that some sort of deployable turret, whether mobile or stationary, should be added in any rework.

Oh, I love this ability suggestion.

Thank you for your feedback, Gray 😄

I hope DE takes a look at him

I just want them to fix the bugs for instance tesla grenade. Cannt be modded stronger because of a bug... Its annoying. Hes so broken and not in an op way.

I like the deployable turret idea... Love it actually. If nothing else, make an augment that changes tesla grenades into deployable turrets. His current augment doesn't work properly anyway.

Edited by (PS4)big_eviljak

hace 11 horas, Logan_Burns2 dijo:

- Care Package: Vauban deploys a care package that heals allies within a certain radius. The health per second can be increased with power strength mods, the duration Care Package is active can be increased with duration mods, and of course, the radius that health is supplied can be increased with range mods. 

Hmmmm I love these ideas seems solid for the type of frame and i always have a problem with his survivability because if a random stray bullet dare to hit him... his death (of course on high level content) so an ability like Deflect seems solid and balanced (in theory). 

I really Hope they consider this Idea.

6 hours ago, Seam2 said:

Hmmmm I love these ideas seems solid for the type of frame and i always have a problem with his survivability because if a random stray bullet dare to hit him... his death (of course on high level content) so an ability like Deflect seems solid and balanced (in theory). 

I really Hope they consider this Idea.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad someone appreciates my ideas. I hope DE does give him a good overhaul.