Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Simple Fix for a Complex Problem

AgroAxel

Ever since I started playing this game almost four years ago I've always wanted to drop out of an air vent with a sentinel over my shoulder and a Kubrow by my side. Only one question remains in my mind, what on earth is preventing us from going into battle with a fierce Kubrow or Kavat at our side, and a robotic parrot watching our back? Am I the only one who desperately wants this to be a thing? would this not fix the constant drive for a universal vacuum?

I'm almost certain they've mentioned in the past that they want the choice of Pet or Sentinel to be a meaningful one. Which means having to choose one and give up the other.

I've been up for too long without sleep though, so my memory might be completely out of order.

18 minutes ago, Lord_Billos said:

I'm almost certain they've mentioned in the past that they want the choice of Pet or Sentinel to be a meaningful one. Which means having to choose one and give up the other.

I've been up for too long without sleep though, so my memory might be completely out of order.

I feel like logically it doesn't make much sense to have to chose, we are space ninjas why cant we have a dog biting off someones leg while our robo birds blast them with a shotgun?

I don't think it would really make player that much more powerful then the already are.

Keep in mind, I'm quite probably misremembering this, so I probably shouldn't post after this until I actually get some sleep or check if I'm right.

But I think the reason given was that they wanted the player to have to make hard choices between things instead of picking the absolute best in any situation. They can't do that if you don't have to make choices and can just use everything at once.

It's not about power or the logic of being a space ninja, it seems to be more about giving you choices that actually matter.

Edited by Lord_Billos

8 minutes ago, TheEnigma77 said:

I don't think it would really make player that much more powerful then the already are.

Not more powerful per se, but could open the door for more AFK play.

Why stop there? If you go multiple companions, why not allow a kubrow, a kavat, a moa, and a sentinel at the same time? Then you could go make a sandwich, while your entourage kills all the things.

Just now, Knowmad762 said:

Not more powerful per se, but could open the door for more AFK play.

Why stop there? If you go multiple companions, why not allow a kubrow, a kavat, a moa, and a sentinel at the same time? Then you could go make a sandwich, while your entourage kills all the things.

Really not what I am suggesting having all the companions would be broken, but having a pet and sentinel would make more sense then having vacuum on a cat.

I'm curious as to how a dog and parrot would allow you to afk.

14 minutes ago, TheEnigma77 said:

Really not what I am suggesting having all the companions would be broken, but having a pet and sentinel would make more sense then having vacuum on a cat.

I'm curious as to how a dog and parrot would allow you to afk.

It seems easier to say that you can have one companion but not two, rather than you can have two companions but not three.

The dog and parrot can attack enemies, can they not? You may want this for fashion reasons, but keep in mind what a min/max player might be able to do. Run Umbral Nidus so your dog is virtually unkillable, and a sentinel with a multi forma, riven fueled weapon; you could theoretically park the frame on a low level defense objective and go do something else while the game wins itself.

4 hours ago, TheEnigma77 said:

Id agree if we had universal vacuum but they don't want that either, which seems to make pets useless and id love to not feel dumb using one.

I exclusively use a Kavat. It does not have Vacuum. The lack of Vacuum is about as important to me as the small spider on my wall. It is not useless, and I do not feel dumb using it.

And we do have a "Universal Vacuum". It is small, but we have it. Maybe MOA pets will have Vacuum? They are a robot (like sentinels) after all...

I would like to have the option of using two companions though. I would not appreciate it if we had to have "one sentinel and one pet". But if I could have two kavats, or two sentinels etc, that would be nice.

Edited by krc473

I agree that the ideal state of things would be for companions and sentinels to be equally useful in different ways but for you to choose between them rather than having the best of both worlds. Not saying I personally wouldn't like that but I also like the idea of sacrificing something to gain something. 

As far as I'm concerned my main experience of non sentinel companions is reviving comically named kubrows and kavats during sorties so I'd say they could do with a buff of some sort. 

On 2018-07-11 at 8:27 PM, TheEnigma77 said:

Ever since I started playing this game almost four years ago I've always wanted to drop out of an air vent with a sentinel over my shoulder and a Kubrow by my side. Only one question remains in my mind, what on earth is preventing us from going into battle with a fierce Kubrow or Kavat at our side, and a robotic parrot watching our back? Am I the only one who desperately wants this to be a thing? would this not fix the constant drive for a universal vacuum?

There is universal vacuum... it has around 1m radius more or less, no joke, I don't remember who was the smug developer who said he added it without telling anyone and proved how we wouldn't even care because we didn't say anything about it, then again... 1m radius, as for pets, if only you could choose how pets act, either agressive, defensive or looters in the case of those who have looting abilities.

Edited by VanFanel1980mx

5 hours ago, TheEnigma77 said:

The problem is no one uses pets because they suck, only exception is Smeeta Kavat.

Then this 'solution' wouldn't solve that problem. It would only be a "band-aid fix" as the community likes to call it by simply bypassing the problem with a lazy fix.

If you truly believe that roaming companions are not strong enough, then the solution would be to observe their strengths and functions (Survivability, revivable, damage output, team/utility buffs) and buff these. Increase their damage, health and armour, give them a wider swath of team buffs to provide and increase their bleedout duration. All of these would be better steps to make roaming companions more capable companions. Hiding them behind a Sentinel wouldn't make them better, it would only highlight their issues because they apparently must be paired with a second companion to even be worth the usage.