Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More RNG is needed. (Long Post)

TheWhitterMatter

Before you start responding down below and getting mad, please read what I'm saying. 

First off I want to say two things, plain and simple. I love this game to the core, BUT I am sick and tired of the grind. I've been playing this game for almost 5 years now and I can barely do any of the void missions (I don't like the current void farm but I see a few upsides) and as far as grinding for things I guess I can max out on my mods and buy more riven slots, maybe get more endo since that's pretty important.People complain everyday about how they are sick of the grind, because it;s #*!%ing boring as S#&$ and time consuming. I totally agree with them and I wish things were better.

There is however, one form of rng that is in this game, that in my opinion from other games I have played, is good and worthwhile if one is willing to put in some effort. It is Riven Mods. Now you might be thinking, "WAIT! You're telling me that the most rng thing in the game, is actually the best?" That is correct, I do believe it is the best form of rng in the game, and let me explain.

I play Path of Exile, based off of Diablo 2, which is also a heavy grinding game, in fact possibly more grindy than warframe. The grind is different here, however. When you slay monsters loot drops; some of it is good, but most of it use not. it's like mods and resources dropping from mobs in Warframe. However, you will always pick these things up in warframe, even though you know it's usually tiny amounts of ferrite, or alloy plate, but sometimes you'll get a rare mod or something else. For veterans and players above mastery rank 12 we begin or have already lost interest in most of the mods that drop, in the end we just turn it into something else like endo or credits and move on. There is nothing really special about anything that drops, because we already have what we need.

However in Path of exiles system, people who've played a long time, know what to pick up and what to drop. For most items there aren't any set place where only certain items can drop, the only thing that really changes what can drop is the area level. So while you mostly get leveling gear before level 45 and then you get your good S#&$ between level 55 and 85 (max at 100). The thing about what's dropping is there are usually things that you want and most of it you don't want, so when that good item drops it's an amazing find. Sometimes there are rare items (like our uncommon mod tier) that are so good they can count as Uniques (like our rare and legendary tier). When those items are found they can be put on your character to make them super powerful, or sold for great wealth. Perosnally I can grind in Path of exile because the grind is more fun, and I know that if I push myself I can get something good and worthwhile. Hell even the currency in the game drops at all levels of the game; you can find the most valuable currency in the first area of the game.

When you get a great riven mod then, hell yeah, you can sell that for several hundred plat and even thousands for some, because they are just that good. It feels great to find something that is of real value, where most mods in the game are just regularly mandatory, but uninteresting. While I don't often do riven mods, they are some of the more interesting parts of my experience, because when I get one for a weapon I use, I feel like a #*!%ing boss.

Here is what I want in the game. I want some randomness to spice up the experience. The Gustrag 3, and Stalker dudes, plus the random syndicates that jump into missions are cool and make the game interesting. However, I'm tired of hearing the Lotus say, heavy reinforcements coming, it;'s the grineer. Like holy S#&$ I am sick and tired of it, we know it's the #*!%ing grineer. You know what  would be cool? The lotus says, "I'm getting an incoming enemy vessel, it's a corpus demolition party! Watch out," Then some dudes get on the ship with opticores and pentas during a survival mission. we kill them and maybe they drop some decent mods or loot. Maybe it;s a small crate of oxium people want or something. Wow that could be super cool. Just some randomness where I can say to my pals, yo the corpus invaded a mission I was in and I got some mutagen samples to help finish the Hema (AHEM).

Maybe like a low chance of a infested charger to drop something that players won't expect in a mission. It would be cool if once in every 10+ missions a random nitain dropped or synthula or something valuable, heck maybe even some argon dropping from a random enemy would be goddamn amazing. Perhaps in a grineer mission a bunch of tough dudes with the melee weapons spawn in and try mobbing you. They don't have to be that strong, but a player will notice this and it will be an interesting little thing that happened.

Anyway I hope this wall of text is helpful and informative with big brainy ideas. Please comment away. I might make a second one of these.

the idea of getting random crossfire style encounters in any mission is really interesting; i want this as well. the idea of those enemies armed with weapons like the opticor? i would LOVE this.
i've gotten to the point after playing this for the past three years where no enemy really worries me. level 100 raptor on the sortie, cool, no problem. oh, Vey Hek is at it again and sends the G3 after me? done. 

random enemy boarding parties armed to the teeth and dressed to the nines, ready to kill everything with Opticors and Plasmors? i am so ready. maybe even just like an army of Bursas instead of just one, dropping solid loot with above average chances in the loot tables to boot would keeo me interested. i dunno, anything like that where there are more random encounters would be amazing, even if they arent high level or anything. i definitely want more assassination squads. theres only those 3 after all and with how many missions we run, i would love to see more variety off whatever chooses to come after me. i'd imagine thered be a high value open bounty on any Warframe in the origin system so youd think that more than just the three usual suspects would come after us. 

20 minutes ago, TheWhitterMatter said:

Maybe like a low chance of a infested charger to drop something that players won't expect in a mission. It would be cool if once in every 10+ missions a random nitain dropped or synthula or something valuable, heck maybe even some argon dropping from a random enemy would be goddamn amazing. Perhaps in a grineer mission a bunch of tough dudes with the melee weapons spawn in and try mobbing you. They don't have to be that strong, but a player will notice this and it will be an interesting little thing that happened.

this right here... i dont think i could agree more. from one long time player to another, i think youre spot on with this idea. hopefully it picks up steam and people around the DE office see it.

That was a very thoughful and interesting thread. I agree with most of it even though I'm still new here. The randome encounters in missions like assassins, syndicate troopers, change of plans, etc. always brighten my mood a lot when they happen and it'd be great to have way more types of them. A couple weeks ago I had the G3 and the red veil appear in a random capture fissure and I still remember that mission with a smile. It'd also make the game feel more alive. The example you provide of a random boarding party from another faction appear out of the blue is great. Some other cool stuff could be an infested escaping from a lab and starting to spread the disease through the ship... The missions I remember more fondly are the ones in wich weird stuff happens, sometimes I even farm bosses and invasions just to have the chance of random encounters xDDD

3 hours ago, ChaosSabre said:

I can never understand why people liked the old void system. I still have PTSD from T3 survival and it's terrible frame rotation C drop chances.

i can never understand why people didn't like the old void system, i still have great memories from t4 defense and its challenge at 20+ waves

1 hour ago, RobesDF said:

i can never understand why people didn't like the old void system, i still have great memories from t4 defense and its challenge at 20+ waves

Here's the thing. That is still there and it doesn't change the fact it was awful for getting something you wanted.

On 2018-07-20 at 5:41 AM, TheWhitterMatter said:

You know what  would be cool? The lotus says, "I'm getting an incoming enemy vessel, it's a corpus demolition party! Watch out," Then some dudes get on the ship with opticores and pentas during a survival mission. we kill them and maybe they drop some decent mods or loot. Maybe it;s a small crate of oxium people want or something. Wow that could be super cool. Just some randomness where I can say to my pals, yo the corpus invaded a mission I was in and I got some mutagen samples to help finish the Hema (AHEM).

First paragraph I totally agree with. That would be dope. Of course it's something that'd be a better fit to the mid to late game.

Second paragraph I disagree with. The point of something like Nitain is that it's rare-ish to get, but easy to acquire if you jump on the alerts when they come up. Synthulas are also pretty easy to stack on (have 40+ myself), and it comes down to just jumping on the alert. As for Argon, don't make me scream. I ran the void 3-5 times in a row without one dropping, and only after I was done farming for what I needed last, I had multiple drop per mission, multiple times. Second half of the second paragraph just re-states the first one.

On 2018-07-20 at 6:03 AM, (XB1)B1ueKarou said:

random enemy boarding parties armed to the teeth and dressed to the nines, ready to kill everything with Opticors and Plasmors? i am so ready. maybe even just like an army of Bursas instead of just one, dropping solid loot with above average chances in the loot tables to boot would keeo me interested.

On 2018-07-20 at 7:07 AM, Amhiel said:

Some other cool stuff could be an infested escaping from a lab and starting to spread the disease through the ship.

Solid ideas here.

15 hours ago, EdsBusy17 said:

Second paragraph I disagree with. The point of something like Nitain is that it's rare-ish to get, but easy to acquire if you jump on the alerts when they come up. Synthulas are also pretty easy to stack on (have 40+ myself), and it comes down to just jumping on the alert. As for Argon, don't make me scream. I ran the void 3-5 times in a row without one dropping, and only after I was done farming for what I needed last, I had multiple drop per mission, multiple times. Second half of the second paragraph just re-states the first one.

No what I mean is it's still really rare, but there is still like a .1 chance that is drops fro ma random mob. I mean, it's just like a small bit of rng that doesn't make the player feel bad or anything. It's like a 'thank you for playing the game'. So even if your just messing around in a mission you still have a small chance to get other materials that are both valuable and unvaluable. 

I agree with this. One of the hidden gems in RPGs are random encounters, where the player is presented with an unanticipated situation during an otherwise predictable task. Events like these shake up gameplay in a manner that injects novelty into a situation the player would otherwise be pretty familiar with, and offer them new variables to play with or around. In Warframe, I agree this could definitely help, because while the base gameplay is extremely solid, missions do tend to repeat themselves after a while. There's also a lot of stuff that already exists, which can be done to this effect: adding random hazards or crossfires, and increasing the chance of rare crates and assassins could all add diversity to missions, as would adding more radical variance to the distribution of enemies (it might be interesting to have a level be made up entirely of Prod Crewmen, for example).

To my knowledge this used to be a thing - invasions could happen in any mission. Never happened to me, it was before my time, but I'd love to see it back.

Whilst most major loot should be at the levels of RNG they are now I feel (it's what most of the game was designed around), more RNG in missions is the good sort of RNG. I mean, we have it already - that's literally why we have procedural levels. It makes the game world feel more alive - things can happen without your direct influence.

I mean, think about Ghouls in the Plains. It's always interesting if you run into a ghoul ground near your objective, because it's out of the ordinary. It shakes things up. I'd like more stuff like this - it'd mean that things get less repetitive. Sure, it'd be disruptive but.,. that's the point. Games are meant to put obstacles in your way.