Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Skiajati

vodkacomrade

6 minutes ago, vodkacomrade said:

The blade is wooden. I heated it for a while and just got it burned black, cannot bend.

You can't bend wood in any way, it's mostly carbon and brittle, maybe if you soaked it in water you could bend it? But so far I've only ever used it on small bamboo sticks, I'm not sure if it would bend a lot with that much material.

10 hours ago, vodkacomrade said:

But i don't know how to make the blade a bit curved. Any ideas?

not sure if this has been posted but you could either soak and brace a curve into it... Or simply sand a curve in (which is what I would do).

I don't know if you could do it with that piece of wood though as there may not be enough to work with.

To curve it you need to soak it.  Then gradually apply pressure.  Depending on the wood type (harder woods better for strength and not snapping, but take more work) it could take many weeks of pressure to get the curve you want.  But it is doable.

You might be able to find a guide somewhere online.

Edit: though if you already applied heat it may not be doable on this piece.

Edited by aswitz87

The easiest way to make a new bent blade is to use thin strips of wood (3mm thick, or about 1/8th of an inch) and then glueing them together with slow drying lamination glue, then bend them to shape using an improvsed bending mold, clamping 'em, letting them set and after that sandpapering the item to the shape you want. You'll need thin strips, slow drying lamination glue, A couple of clamps, a big board that has enough surface that it can hold the shape you want the strips to take once done and maybe 10 really big nails.

1. Draw the curve you want on the plank. Hammer down maybe 4 nails on that inner curve. Hammer down one nail on the outer curve near the bottom of the shape.

2. Soft Glue the laminates together. This has to be done quickly so that none of the glue hardens before you start bending.

3. Put the laminates against the inner curve, clamp the starting end and slowly bend them to conform with the desired shape. As each part of the laminate bends to the desired shape, put down a nail to lock them in place until the entire thing is shaped to your desire. put down a few clamps to keep them sealed.

4. Leave it to dry for several days.

5. Use large grain sandpaper (optionally you can wittle away undesired parts of the shape to speed up the process) to get roughly the shape you want. Then as you've achieved roughly the final shape you start to use finer and finer grain sandpaper to get a nice finished surface.

6. Put on whatever surface finish you want. Ie, Paint, oil or varnish it.