Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

example of leechers

(XBOX)Oussii

3 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

For 20 whole minutes? ... Please make up more excuses for people to leech

To add, They also took damage at some point so they were clearly in combat of some sort, just not fighting back as they did no damage. More than likely avoiding combat entirely.

5 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

For 20 whole minutes? ... Please make up more excuses for people to leech

Thats the /point/. And the problem. For every person who is leeching, there's people who, out of bad luck, have s**t happen. So unless you want to start punishing people because they got stuck in a roof or something silly, you can't punish the leechers. You can't have a system that'll punish all wrongdoers without also punishing innocent people. A lot.

Just now, GenthReborn said:

Thats the /point/. And the problem. For every person who is leeching, there's people who, out of bad luck, have s**t happen. So unless you want to start punishing people because they got stuck in a roof or something silly, you can't punish the leechers. You can't have a system that'll punish all wrongdoers without also punishing innocent people. A lot.

/Unstuck in chat
Problem solved.
Going 20 minutes, while taking some sort of damage and contributing nothing implies they were active.

1 minute ago, RetroNomad said:

/Unstuck in chat
Problem solved.
Going 20 minutes, while taking some sort of damage and contributing nothing implies they were active.

You don't quite get it though. Unless you are arguing that it is always, 100% of the time, 100% clear, if you call for leechers to be punished more than they are, you are inadvertantly calling for innocent people to get punished. Sure, to me, this case looks 95% positive the player was being a dirty leech, but it can't be 100%, /and thats the problem/

13 minutes ago, GenthReborn said:

You don't quite get it though. Unless you are arguing that it is always, 100% of the time, 100% clear, if you call for leechers to be punished more than they are, you are inadvertantly calling for innocent people to get punished. Sure, to me, this case looks 95% positive the player was being a dirty leech, but it can't be 100%, /and thats the problem/

I never stated that I was calling for that. I've been commenting on the subject at hand which is the supposed leecher in question here.
Personally, idc if someone is leeching because I'm probably going to top DPS and kills anyway, with or without them there. (That's not bragging, just saying, it doesn't bother me because this is almost always the case.) Exception being a Mid-high to High MR player, then you just report and move on with your life.

Edited by RetroNomad

11 minutes ago, GenthReborn said:

75% of all statistics are made up.

DE should be doing more to crack down on leeches, hearing this "but you might do something to someone that has had XYZ happened and they had to go AFK" You are clearly getting confused about what a leech is. Examples being:

Leeches: Repeatedly using missions to level up their items with nearly zero interaction with the mission at hand, not even supporting the team.

Innocent people: Who have 1 off times where they are AFK because their cat got caught in a toaster and required careful extraction from said toaster.

Should leeches get punished who show consistent leeching behaviour? Yes they do.

Should Innocent people who have repeated "1 off moments" get punished because their cat can't seem to avoid getting stuck in a toaster? Yes because they should know that other players are investing their time into a game and the active players shouldn't have to consistently deal with it.

Should Innocent people who have a true 1 off moment be punished? No, and their activity should reflect it was just a 1 off.

My suggestion is to have a in-game report system that players can report directly and when enough reports come in should generate an automatic ticket for a GM to review. For example I'd say somewhere like 21 + reports within a 48 hour period, it makes a ticket. (Just spitballing numbers, naturally change them to what DE would find acceptable) So any punishment that is handed down is. 1) Justified. 2) handed out manually rather than automatically 3) It wasn't just a 1 off situation.

Edited by Joe_Barbarian

And this ladies and gentlemen is why there is a report feature on the forums, this is also why reporting in-game should be made easier instead of going through the website. Simplify the process so players are more capable of dealing with leeches & unfriendly characters without taking up too much of our time.

Edited by Joe_Barbarian
words are hard

49 minutes ago, GenthReborn said:

Having a ticket filed against them isn't going to get them banned, but it will start file and if that file grows and there is a pattern then action will be taken.  If the person is innocent then they have nothing to worry about the first time and will handle the situation properly going forward if they care about their account.  When I file a ticket for this sort of thing I make sure to let them know.  

Enabling the toxic behavior in question is just as bad as the behavior itself and can't be allowed.  If you cared at all about the game and the 170 people that work on it everyday you wouldn't just give it a pass all the time.  Like cancer it will only get worse if left unchecked.

Edited by Johnny5five

4 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is why there is a report feature on the forums, this is also why reporting in-game should be made easier instead of going through the website. Simplify the process so players are more capable of dealing with leeches & unfriendly characters without taking up too much of our time.

Maybe just add an "other" box to the ingame report feature we can fill out ourselves.

Anyway.

The problem of reporting leechers is many people won't know what actual leeching is, and will start reporting people with low stats. I even had an exterminate recently with an MLG team who left me literally nothing to kill, so I ended up with zeros across the board, and we finished in like 2 minutes flat. Did any of us do something wrong? No, but if reporting leechers is the new cool thing to do, I would have probably gotten reported.

I've also carried missions leaving the rest of my team with hardly anything to do, making their stats artificially deflated.

There's likely to be a lot of false positives.

so... a while ago i recieved a riven that was something that essentially required me to leech, at least from my understanding iof it. it was something like "complete a lvl something survival without killing anyone" seemed simple enough but if i activated all life supports, then the O2 would still run out before the 5 minute mark.

i enlistd the help of a clanmate who promptly was like "yeah, i'd be more than happy to help you with this" so he killed everything while i ran around trying not to do any damage. 

granted, this was a long time ago, and i hadnt thought of using Ivara; yeah, it was a completely consensual leeching, and yeah, the situation seems to be entirely different, but if there was an automatic system where leeching is punished, i most certainly would have taken the brunt of some bot's actions there. i honestly dont know where i stand on this argument, i typically only run with clanmates or go public on fissure missions so i dont run into this issue much, but... i had a unique experience that related and thought i'd throw it out here. 

Just now, Abyssinion said:

Maybe just add an "other" box to the ingame report feature we can fill out ourselves.

Anyway.

The problem of reporting leechers is many people won't know what actual leeching is, and will start reporting people with low stats. I even had an exterminate recently with an MLG team who left me literally nothing to kill, so I ended up with zeros across the board, and we finished in like 2 minutes flat. Did any of us do something wrong? No, but if reporting leechers is the new cool thing to do, I would have probably gotten reported.

I've also carried missions leaving the rest of my team with hardly anything to do, making their stats artificially deflated.

I see where you're coming from but at the same time I'd have to counter that any player familiar with the game can understand the difference between the two easily.
If I am running with my maxed solo Onslaught Sayrn in a PUG, I'm not going to assume anything of anyone that got 5-12% of the damage compared to my massive 60+%.

There are special cases, always and I'm not saying to implement such a system as above, just... something would be nice to mitigate the encouragement of this kind of activity within a team based game. Speaking from running two clans in Tf2, if a player was literally idle or just moving as to not trip our AFK timers but doing nothing, I'd drop the kick without question. No one should leach rewards in a squad based game where team support may be needed if not at least appreciated.

Like I said, when it comes to WF, I don't even notice most of the time as I'm usually speed running and tile wiping myself. And I'd ALWAYS encourage lower level players rather than leaving them behind in the dust with no affinity or gameplay experience. It hurts me none to slow down, let the new Tenno get some fun and help when needed. However, If you're a higher MR, you've got no excuse for leaching on me for extended periods of time and are looking for a free ride.

13 minutes ago, Abyssinion said:

Anyway.

I just made a thread dedicated to an in-game report feature as this thread is getting comments deleted because of the elephant in the room. So lets bounce and have a decent discussion there. 

2 minutes ago, RetroNomad said:

I see where you're coming from but at the same time I'd have to counter that any player familiar with the game can understand the difference between the two easily.
If I am running with my maxed solo Onslaught Sayrn in a PUG, I'm not going to assume anything of anyone that got 5-12% of the damage compared to my massive 60+%.

There are special cases, always and I'm not saying to implement such a system as above, just... something would be nice to mitigate the encouragement of this kind of activity within a team based game. Speaking from running two clans in Tf2, if a player was literally idle or just moving as to not trip our AFK timers but doing nothing, I'd drop the kick without question. No one should leach rewards in a squad based game where team support may be needed if not at least appreciated.

Like I said, when it comes to WF, I don't even notice most of the time as I'm usually speed running and tile wiping myself. And I'd ALWAYS encourage lower level players rather than leaving them behind in the dust with no affinity or gameplay experience. It hurts me none to slow down, let the new Tenno get some fun and help when needed. However, If you're a higher MR, you've got no excuse for leaching on me for extended periods of time and are looking for a free ride.

I definitely don't think the leeching going on is ok, and something should be done about it, it's a problem of what. Most systems one could come up with could be easily abused or generate frequent false positives.

3 hours ago, RetroNomad said:

I'm glad Onslaught was brought up (and Saryn in general) because I was called a leecher by someone using Saryn for using my opticir in onslaught. After calling me leecher I politely explained that the zaw I had on was using a maiming reach build I was testing that so far could take most teams 8 waves easy and with a nuke Saryn present I wasn't going to play a competing for kills game and instead used my Opticor (focus lens included) to kill larger enemies he wasn't one shotting until the focus boost ran out at the beginning of each round.

He had no comment about the akstilleto prime I used for most of the round after that initial burst. I didn't get a response after that. I would note that I was 3rd in damage dealt/kills so it wasn't like I wasn't doing anything at all. I'm just not going to tryhard compete with a nuke frame on a non nuke frame myself