Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Here's A Thought - Solution To Homeless Infested

TunaMayo

I have heard a few complaints that there is nowhere to reliably farm infested despite the invasion system, so I thought of something that might fit both criteria.

What if the Orokin Derelict was no longer key-gated and instead was a mobile entity on the star map. So like any other Planet, you could click on it and attempt any of it's nodes to reliably farm infested. You could get rid of all Orokin Derelict keys (which are little more than a small resource sink) other than assassinate. Therefore you have a place where you can regularly find infested, and farm Golem navs to access the boss node of the Derelict sector.

But, the Orokin Derelict is constantly moving within the solar system, so one hour it might be next to pluto, the next it might be next to mars, due to it being a moving ship graveyard and the infestation spreads from the Derelict. This means that the Derelict sector constantly moves round the Solar System "sprinkling" infestation invasion nodes around the solar system.

This way you solve the issue of the infestation not having a home, whilst keeping in line with the idea that DE have with the invasion system. As a side bonus, you get rid of the silly key-wall for Orokin Derelict (other than Lephantis) and allows you to predict where the infestation are going to strike from based on the Derelict sector's position at the time.

A potential idea that was brought up is that perhaps that we as a community attack the Derelict sector, the more you stem the flow of infested. So if people are regularly attacking/farming the Derelict sector one morning, there might be sporadic infestation invasions. But, should we as a community disregard the Derelict sector, infestation invasions might start to crop up a lot more frequently and aggressively. This could obviously be confined to attacking the Derelict boss, lephantis, or to Derelict nodes in general.

Another potentiality is that as it is a ship graveyard, the Derelict Sector would not be confined to Orokin Derelict tilesets. Many people miss the xini or cyath atmosphere, so to solve this different nodes could be different Infested Ships. Each node would tell you beforehand what tileset it is, as is done by nodes now, with a small picture of said Infested Ship (Grineer, Corpus or Orokin). Allowing regular access to the desired Infested tileset whilst sticking to the general idea of a Derelict Sector.

Feedback has suggested that the Derelict Sector should alter the level of the infested based upon the planet that it is closest to. This would allow a range of infested levels throughout the day so all ranges of players can enjoy fighting the infested liberally.

Well, that's the jist of the idea. Approve or Disapprove? 

Edited by TunaMayo

I'm Commander Shepard and i this is my favorite thread on the Citadel.

I like the idea of getting rids of keys and giving a system for the derelict and the void... but that leads to less farming for keys, and that might be a way the devs did for enjoy and re-do some levels, so dont know it is is in their plans for soon.

Nav Coords aren't uncommon to start with. Digital Extremes wants us to have enough to be able to go to that content whenever we want, they worked hard on it, they want us to freely be able to experience it.

and the Boss Nav Coords would still exist, in the same places they are now.

Edited by taiiat

I really like this idea, it'd be even better if the derelicts levels changed depending on which planet it's hooked up to.

Very plausible, the only slight issue here is it might deter newer players from being able to attack the Derelict sector at certain times. Say it was hovering by Pluto at the time, then the infested would be lvl 50+ and a new-ish player without maxed mods might have to wait a few hours til the sector moves on in order to actually be able to tackle the content.

The same goes for "Vets", they might not want to fight lvl 1-10 infested if it is hovering by Venus.

If you can come up with a solution to that, I'm more than happy to add it in the OP.

Very plausible, the only slight issue here is it might deter newer players from being able to attack the Derelict sector at certain times. Say it was hovering by Pluto at the time, then the infested would be lvl 50+ and a new-ish player without maxed mods might have to wait a few hours til the sector moves on in order to actually be able to tackle the content.

The same goes for "Vets", they might not want to fight lvl 1-10 infested if it is hovering by Venus.

If you can come up with a solution to that, I'm more than happy to add it in the OP.

Optional Nightmare modes, just like normal nodes.

You can't please everyone all the time, so one must accept that Lephantis is Lv7 today. Someone (Looking at you, Phroid) broke the coffee machine.

The problem is tileset variety. I can't stand the layout of ODD, not to mention how buggy it is with mobs getting stuck all the time.

The Xini tileset is a beautiful map. Chokepoints, high visibility to most areas from central locations, sniping vantage points, etc.

Personally I don't care what they do with lore, or planets, or whatever. Just give us the ability to play the game we want, not the game you think we should be playing.

If I want to do a level 40 infested xini map defense, let me. IF someone else wants to do that with grineer at level 5, let them, why should anyone else care.

The problem is tileset variety. I can't stand the layout of ODD, not to mention how buggy it is with mobs getting stuck all the time.

The Xini tileset is a beautiful map. Chokepoints, high visibility to most areas from central locations, sniping vantage points, etc.

Personally I don't care what they do with lore, or planets, or whatever. Just give us the ability to play the game we want, not the game you think we should be playing.

If I want to do a level 40 infested xini map defense, let me. IF someone else wants to do that with grineer at level 5, let them, why should anyone else care.

Well I did mention that it was a Derelict sector, a ship graveyard. So in an effort to please the many, how about it is not restricted to Orokin Derelict?

You could click on the Derelict Sector and each mission/node would show you if the node was an Orokin, Corpus or Grineer infested ship, in the same way normal nodes do now. This way you could have all infested tile-sets available in the Derelict sector?

Ah OK. IF all the tilesets are available then that'd be great, and an improvement. I'd have no complaints then about the infested planets being removed, and the bulk of how they were played just not being available at all any more.

But so long as they are always available, and not having to wait hours or days for a tileset to be available. That's fine for stories, special rewards or whatever, but restricting a base game style to some RNG as they have done with this invasions stuff, is letting one game play style unnecessarily cut out another, which sucks if you only like one of them.

Being able to set a starting level would be icing.

Edited by harly

This would also help with the issue of huge amounts of mutagen samples being needed for clan tech research. It would be easier to go do runs for mutagen samples.

that reminds me!

Infested Invasion missions should totally have Mutagens for their Clantech resource.

because it would be awesome.

Yes, yes, yes. I've never quite forgiven them for refusing to make the Derelicts part of the solar system in the disaster that was U10, and doing so now would solve a bunch of problems that we're currently facing.

Making outbreaks directly related to playerbase involvement could be problematic, but other than that, I'm all for this. For sure.

This way you solve the issue of the infestation not having a home, whilst keeping in line with the idea that DE have with the invasion system. As a side bonus, you get rid of the silly key-wall for Orokin Derelict (other than Lephantis) and allows you to predict where the infestation are going to strike from based on the Derelict sector's position at the time.

Well, that's the jist of the idea. Approve or Disapprove? 

I approve, but if were able to predict the ship's path wouldn't that mean the enemies would to? Hate to say this, but I think the Grineer, and Corpus would have figured this out, and stemmed it. I don't think we should be able to predict where its striking. It should still be random because if we know it. Usually the other two factions know it as well. Sometimes even they know waaay more than us even at times.

Just saying.

I approve, but if were able to predict the ship's path wouldn't that mean the enemies would to? Hate to say this, but I think the Grineer, and Corpus would have figured this out, and stemmed it. I don't think we should be able to predict where its striking. It should still be random because if we know it. Usually the other two factions know it as well. Sometimes even they know waaay more than us even at times.

Just saying.

Unless the cluster of derelict ships is sufficient that approaching it would be the stupidest thing a faction could do and just trying to survive it passing would be the highest priority.

Much like facing the Tyranid in WH40k. No one (except the orks) fucks with the Tyranid.

It would be cool if derelict bases actually planted themselves on the planet, (if not gas planet) as part of the whole invasion thing. 
Or even have them crash in on invasions...instead of just being there.

Right now it's grineer/corpus saying: "help us kill infested"

When it should be... oh dear god protect us from the infested!