Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

A Real Railgun fires physical rounds(they'd deal mainly impact&puncture damage) way way WAY faster than conventional weapon fire. A railgun's base damage would be enormous.

It would make more sense for it to do Puncture and slash, not impact. The projectile is going to be going right through enemies (do I sense innate punch-through??) so quickly that the kinetic energy would transfer straight through the target.

A railgun weapon is a cool idea, but what if the railgun is this massive huge cannon weapon that is like 12 ft long, and is considered a heavy weapon pick in missions.  Like only in Corpus levels will you find the railgun, and temporarily pick it up till you change weapons, or run out of ammo with the Railgun. That way the Railgun can be uber powerful, and not be cheap since Players will only be able to find it on specific tilesets.

I like the general concept/base idea here of picking up over-powered ultimate-destructo weapons while in game.

Whether the Lanka is a railgun or coilgun or whatever doesn't really matter, we need another one.

~snip~

Why? Despite the fact they'll be functionally the same?

Also, semi on-topic.. Where does one draw the line between Rail/coilgun and Mass Driver?

Why? Despite the fact they'll be functionally the same?

Also, semi on-topic.. Where does one draw the line between Rail/coilgun and Mass Driver?

Different damage type. Sniper are kind of meh right now anyways. Vectis is good but single shot, Vulkar is not very good at all and Lanka is outclassed by bows.

MGS would be the last franchise I'd assosiate with a railgun

i know why u think that, but they actually acure quiet often in the Franchise. Every Metal Gear (the actuall robot) had one, u could have one as a weapon in one of them and Fortune (boss from mgs2) used one as well!^^

I would be down with the Lanka getting a new model, but I don't think we need another railgun.

I don't see the Lanka as a railgun at all. It doesn't look like a railgun (at all), it doesn't sound like a railgun, it doesn't even work like a railgun. A real railgun makes a sonic boom when the projectile leaves the barrel. See our modern railguns, which fire rounds at Mach 7. Which is dubious for the Lanka, which should be hitscan if it was a real raingun, but noooo, it's got bullet travel time. Additionally, railguns are characterized usually as firing ferrous projectiles that splinter on impact to do maximum damage, while the Lanka fires an energy-based "projectile".

xvwHtsU.gif

Edited by xSapphire

How is it even as discussion??? The Lanka is in no way a railgun!!!! Can we please be serious about this.XD A Railgun uses Magnetic Rails to shoot Metall Bolts at high velocity, the Weapon is typically associated (in games) with high damage, low rate of fire, a charging mechanism and the abilty to shoot through surfaces and enemys.

Ofcourse we have some Weapons with some of those trades already, but the specific attributes of a Railgun are reamain to be seen in a waframe weapon, simply because WE DON´T HAVE A RAILGUN YET!!!!

Also think about the swag, of your Frame carrying that hugeass freakin GunXD 

I don't see the Lanka as a railgun at all. It doesn't look like a railgun (at all), it doesn't sound like a railgun, it doesn't even work like a railgun. A real railgun makes a sonic boom when the projectile leaves the barrel. See our modern railguns, which fire rounds at Mach 7. Which is dubious for the Lanka, which should be hitscan if it was a real raingun, but noooo, it's got bullet travel time. Additionally, railguns are characterized usually as firing ferrous projectiles that splinter on impact to do maximum damage, while the Lanka fires an energy-based "projectile".

Finally, someone who raises points aside from 'I don't see the Lanka as a railgun'. The speed of sound point is good but relatively groundless in a video-game, there is no way to show it 'breaking the sound barrier' aside from giving it a special visual effect and a loud noise. 

I bow my head on the point of hit-scan, the Lanka should've been hit-scan, it really should have, I'd be okay with a railgun type weapon to replace it.

Lastly, the projectile type. As we know them, a railgun projectile would never splinter unless it hit an object of required density or was a smart-projectile, the only thing that would cause a railgun round to 'splinter' is its own velocity as the shell burns away from the extreme heat, which has been documented. A railgun projectile would hit a 'soft' target and just keep going till it hit something it couldn't knock a hole in.

-snip-

Also think about the swag, of your Frame carrying that hugeass freakin GunXD 

In everyone's gun fantasies, why are railguns huge? Is it this strange attraction to small [usually female] characters wielding massive guns rearing it's ugly head again?

Finally, someone who raises points aside from 'I don't see the Lanka as a railgun'. The speed of sound point is good but relatively groundless in a video-game, there is no way to show it 'breaking the sound barrier' aside from giving it a special visual effect and a loud noise. 

I bow my head on the point of hit-scan, the Lanka should've been hit-scan, it really should have, I'd be okay with a railgun type weapon to replace it.

Lastly, the projectile type. As we know them, a railgun projectile would never splinter unless it hit an object of required density or was a smart-projectile, the only thing that would cause a railgun round to 'splinter' is its own velocity as the shell burns away from the extreme heat, which has been documented. A railgun projectile would hit a 'soft' target and just keep going till it hit something it couldn't knock a hole in.

Could always... I don't know... Copy the railgun moa? Hmm... you know how once it finishes charging up it fires so fast you don't even see it, punches through any barrier including snow globe, and hits you like Thor's friggin hammer.

Mean while Lanka is just a laser sniper...

Could always... I don't know... Copy the railgun moa? Hmm... you know how once it finishes charging up it fires so fast you don't even see it, punches through any barrier including snow globe, and hits you like Thor's friggin hammer.

Mean while Lanka is just a laser sniper...

I'd be fine with the Railgun MOA's... Railgun

I suppose I can admit that the Lanka isn't 'really' a railgun.

Yes! Someone I can science with! No &*$$. EDIT: Really? The H o m o word is bleeped? :I

The whole sonic boom for me goes hand-in-hand with the whole "skin" point. If it doesn't look and/or sound like a railgun, people won't treat it as a railgun.

I concede that last point to you. Most railguns in sci-fi are giant ship-mounted ones designed to puncture capital ship plating (the ones that fire ferrous rounds), and I totally overlooked the smaller ones, which upon research, do use smart projectiles. And yea, I forgot about shock heating.

In everyone's gun fantasies, why are railguns huge? Is it this strange attraction to small [usually female] characters wielding massive guns rearing it's ugly head again?

I would guess because if you had a real handheld railgun, firing it would take your upper half off from the recoil. Newton's third law, right? I guess people want it fitted with oversized shock absorbers, huge magnetic coils, a battery pack, the whole nine yards. Personally I'm partial to Crysis' railgun, which has neat little coils that move around and crackle.

Crysis3_2013-12-21_23-33-02-42.jpg

Edited by xSapphire

Yes! Someone I can science with! No &*$$. EDIT: Really? The H o m o word is bleeped? :I

The whole sonic boom for me goes hand-in-hand with the whole "skin" point. If it doesn't look and/or sound like a railgun, people won't treat it as a railgun.

I concede that last point to you. Most railguns in sci-fi are giant ship-mounted ones designed to puncture capital ship plating (the ones that fire ferrous rounds), and I totally overlooked the smaller ones, which upon research, do use smart projectiles. And yea, I forgot about shock heating.

I would guess because if you had a real handheld railgun, firing it would take your upper half off from the recoil. Newton's third law, right? I guess people want it fitted with oversized shock absorbers, huge magnetic coils, a battery pack, the whole nine yards. Personally I'm partial to Crysis' railgun, which has neat little coils that move around and crackle.

Crysis3_2013-12-21_23-33-02-42.jpg

Forgot about this one, that´s an awesome design too! XD

The Lanka is not worthy of being called a railgun.

This is why the game desperately needs the Snipetron to be reintroduced. Make it a railgun, thereby making it lore friendly as a corpus weapon that shoots actual projectiles rather than spit plasma.

Looking back on it I think the Snipetron should be a standard laser rifle, still hitscan but not really a railgun. It would seem weird to have such a low tier gun be such a powerful weapon. They should just overhaul the Lanka into a real railgun since the basic mechanics and high requirements are already there, and it's need of being brought up to bow tier anyway.