Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

But a bow is not a railgun!

Why give us a Gorgon Wraith when we already have like 5 guns that basically work the same way? Because SWAG!

Fair enough. I'm just saying, I wouldn't expect an amazing new style of weapon. :) The only thing they might do differently is make it hitscan instead of projectile. That'd be interesting, but then it wouldn't be that different from a sniper rifle missing its scope.

we actually don't know, lanka propels the projectile through magnetic induction, don't railguns do that too? the damage type is obviously not fitting a railgun since they fire physical projectiles like mentioned above, but with a few tweaks lanka could be considered one

You answered your own question ^-^

They shoot faster because they're pretty much just larger MBT cannons. Many railguns today need to be hauled around on a flatbed trailer. For the size of the Lanka, you're lucky it shoots as fast as it does.

Yeah, today's railguns are huge, but I'm sure 109821729725 years in the future the tenno and their magical space ninja powers should've figured out a way to make their electromagnets stronger so they don't need 40 foot long barrels to speed up their shots.

Though I'd still prefer any railgun we get to be really big, and really heavy. (But still within human carry-able size) Not sure how well it would work code-wise, but it would be cool if it briefly staggers the tenno who fires it, because railguns have uber recoil.

i wanted to know your reasoning... is it the damage type or something technical? i'm still confused >_>

Yes basically a true Rail Gun would have insanely fast projectiles (The most powerful ones in real life can get a 3kg solid projectile to 5 to 10 times the speed of sound) not that slow poke Lanka bullet. So it would be Hit-Scan. Also a Rail gun is a electromagnetic projectile launcher. It does use electricity to power magnets that will propell a phisical projectile at high velocity, but the projectile is not the electricity, its a solid metallic bullet, so a true Rail Gun would have physical damage, i would say mostly Puncture with some Impact. Innate Punch-Through would make sense.

Edited by RexSol

Yeah, today's railguns are huge, but I'm sure 109821729725 years in the future the tenno and their magical space ninja powers should've figured out a way to make their electromagnets stronger so they don't need 40 foot long barrels to speed up their shots.

Though I'd still prefer any railgun we get to be really big, and really heavy. (But still within human carry-able size) Not sure how well it would work code-wise, but it would be cool if it briefly staggers the tenno who fires it, because railguns have uber recoil.

That's part of my beef with it. The recoil. Newton's 3rd law anyone? In order to eject a projectile of that caliber at a speed FASTER than conventional bullets you'd need a hell of a magnet. That would literally tear your shoulder in half.

Just make Lanka travel faster, hit harder, and new model. 

Then we'd have one.

the railgun moa can shoot through our shields, I have to agree. If Lanka is a railgun it should penetrate everything just like the railgun moa.

I say just change the Lanka's projectile to the same kind as the Railgun MOA fires and boom! Instant Railgun! Of course there would have to be damage and utility adjustments, personally I'd be okay with any combination of smaller clip, longer reload, and increased charge time as long as the thing hits like a truck, and has infinite Punch-Through like a fully charged arrow.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

A railgun weapon is a cool idea, but what if the railgun is this massive huge cannon weapon that is like 12 ft long, and is considered a heavy weapon pick in missions.  Like only in Corpus levels will you find the railgun, and temporarily pick it up till you change weapons, or run out of ammo with the Railgun. That way the Railgun can be uber powerful, and not be cheap since Players will only be able to find it on specific tilesets.

Now I'm all for a railgun, but with how powerful they are (and should be) how would it be balanced?

Out of curiosity, does calling it a megathread actually make it a megathread or it is it just wishful thinking?

also I find railgun to be endlessly cool but not enough to really demand one.

A thread becomes a Megathread when a Moderator makes it one.