March 28Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Megan

Warframe Lore

It’s without surprise that the Proto Armor has raised questions about the Lore of Warframe. For many players, Dark Sector was the beginning. The Proto Armor has indicated that yes, Dark Sector and Warframe are inextricably linked. Stay tuned for more!

Grineersystems.com?

Last night on Prime Time it seems a certain Councilor hacked the end of our stream and posted a ominous URL. We’ll have to keep a constant eye on this Tenno, the Grineer are up to something.

PS4: Quality vs Speed

It’s been an eventful month for PS4 with 2 Updates out the door! It feels good to have more content going live for PS4, but it hasn’t come without a few hiccups (some of which are still being resolved). Each update is a lesson in what is achievable from our team, and as we get more familiar with the process we will improve with experience.

Interception Difficulty

Attempts at PS4 Interception proved to be a difficult task on Prime Time. Our experiences and feedback is growing about the difficulty of the Interception missions and their role in new player experience.

Statless Helmets

Scott commented in Devstream #25 saying that we’re not supporting stats on Helmets anymore; the plan is to basically retire them. This has come with mixed feelings from the community, a majority of players enjoy stats on helmets and wish to have the option of purchasing either a stat or statless version.With proposed alternative solutions growing, we’re keeping our eyes out. One particular school of players are asking about the blueprints they currently have, and if waiting on crafting them will always yield a stat helmet. Because we don’t know, we advise to craft them - take action where uncertainty exists if you know what you want (a helmet with stats).

Performance

Our Performance team has been making great progress polishing perf related issues from player reports. DE_Steve commented with some insight about our development:

“The poor GPU balance in the void case is primarily because the Void traps are updating all of the time, across the whole map, every frame. These traps update on the main 'game' thread and take so long it can sometimes look like poor CPU utilization too (because the other threads running effects, physics, collision, animation and rendering are 'fed' by the game thread). U13 has fixes for this and other generic cases of 'stuff far away from enemies and players eating up CPU for no reason'.

That's why you see the big jump in FPS/GPU utilization from pausing the game in solo... this skips all the game thread work to update objects so the other threads all get work to do much faster... including the rendering thread feeding work to the GPU.

I know it sucks to wait for it. We're holding it back from hot-fixes to make sure it gets as much testing as possible - it is a very invasive change to the way the game thread updates and its important that we don't improve one case at the expense of another.”

Still Hot:

Ability Mods In The Market

We’re seeing interesting suggestions about what to do with Ability Mods. Although they were removed from the Market before and put on enemies as drops, players have suggested that we simply put them back into the Market with a Credit price. This price could fluctuate depending on the rarity of the Mod and still be ineligible for Transmutation.

This is still an ongoing discussion that may receive more attention once we have Melee 2.0 and other long term tasks close to finalized.

Drops

Possibly the most recurring hot topic, but an update is we are currently testing and working on Endless Void missions without Credits/Resources.

So Dark Sector is warframe origins? X)

Well time to buy it...if I can find it that is.....

But we'll need Dark sector like enemies = Goliath  or something of that scale as an infested boss :D

Edited by Deidaku

Love the proto skin guys :D But feel compelled to ask - Will we ever see its return? Cause I would love to be able to pick up this skin but am not able to buy it currently.

is now or never mate.

i bought it with plat from trading, go dig some voids and sell some primes, is not that hard.

about the helmets:

i believe (as many others) that the best fix is to allow a polarity / aura slot on helmets, older and new to come.

only by doing that you can have a new set of mods for helmets, and allow players who enjoys the helmets for only how they look to enjoy the same as the players who builded their loadout with the helmet current status.

always is better to have a choice than have none.

Edited by omega_phoenix

Megan" post="2357155" timestamp="1396036458"]

Warframe Lore

It’s without surprise that the Proto Armor has raised questions about the Lore of Warframe. For many players, Dark Sector was the beginning. The Proto Armor has indicated that yes, Dark Sector and Warframe are inextricably linked. Stay tuned for more!

Crap. I was hoping for a fresh start and the Proto armour was just a reference. I hope you know what you're doing.

Edit: Arrgh, why won't you quote properly???

Edit 2: Maybe that's a typo and you meant "inexplicably linked" ? :P

Edited by ValhaHazred

I think an extra orokin cell here or there is fine for void survival. and if instead of credits and resources we just had prime parts and rare cores, well, you're not really working for them. the nice thing about void survival is that you can pick up multiple parts in one run, but you can't expect to get what you want every time. it's like any other void mission. 

if the survival rewards removed credits and resources, that would be fine as long as it's still diluted with something. mods would suffice

I'm still pretty surprised that scott said he never liked the helmets with stats. I thought it was a great system. because then they weren't just aesthetics, they actually had a purpose, and they meant something. thrak rhino =/= vanguard rhino. and you have stuff like aura trinity or coil mag, where those boosts really help you out, and you can justify the negatives

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I only noticed people complaining about stats on helmets when nova came out and her first alt helmet boosted stamina which, I'm sorry, is utterly useless. nova was the new hot frame (she's still pretty popular), and people really didn't like that her customization cut something useful to boost something useless. maybe stamina will be more useful in melee 2.0, but based on the last time DE tried to bring stamina to the forefront, that's not going to go well. I think all helmets should have stats so that eventually each frame will have one helm that boosts each major stat (speed, health, armor, shields, range, efficiency, duration, strength, and energy. but not stamina) and you'd have that much extra customization on your loadout. of course, they would each have a negative, so you'd consider that when choosing a helm. but maybe you want a little extra power on your caster instead of a little extra efficiency. right now, most frames only have one largely beneficial helm, but if they all have at least a couple, it makes your frame more unique

... They probably should just add an "Underclock"-feature to mods. It may take some work to implement that, but it would be worth it. After that nobody needs any duplicates of any mod anymore. Just underclock an maxed out mod and you're good to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I only noticed people complaining about stats on helmets when nova came out 

sorry, but i disagree.

IMO the best looking helmet on rhino is the thrak one, imagine why i could never use it?

I always prefered the helmets to be only cosmetics, but to avoid the forums being filled with rage an option on/off for helmet stats seems like a proper solution.

Oh hey, finally a concession that the Intercepts are too damn hard. All it took was being humiliated on prime time while using overgeared frames and weapons. So tell me more about this "gimped build" that was supposedly so fun to play in intercepts according to the livestream.

Inb4 some dev insists that it's just the event and everything is perfect and peachy. You know, I'd really love to see the success/failure logs for low MR players on those missions.

Interception Difficulty

Attempts at PS4 Interception proved to be a difficult task on Prime Time. Our experiences and feedback is growing about the difficulty of the Interception missions and their role in new player experience.

Eurasia stops my whole progress.

I'm playing Mag Rank 21 and cant beat this mission. 

With regard to helmets, DE should really make Prime warframes unable to use unprimed helmets.  (They never look quite right, anyhow.)  The prime frames could then have their own alt helmets (which may make more sense as rare, tradeable void drops than alerts).

But in general, if you're going to get rid of the statted helmets, just get rid of them entirely.  This game absolutely doesn't need any more things for incumbents to have that new players can never, ever acquire.  Having some of those things be as good as the Vanguard helmet would be absoultely horrible for the game.  Compensate the people who lost them with something else (one legendary core per 5 unique hats you have getting nerfed, say, rounding up.), or don't, but take them all out of the game if you don't want them to be in the game.

It may be time to redraw some of the planetary maps.  Interception would be far less of a problem if it didn't gate off both exits from Earth.

Well the Interception dilemma is a sad one. For once I like the challenge but its occupying an important node for new player progression.

I can't wait for more difficult planets to get their own Interception missions like Sedna, Ceres or Pluto. That would require some more tileset expansions but in the end we could simply apply a more fitting difficulty for Earth while maintaining a challenge for nodes at the border of high level planets.

The statless helmet discussion is still worrying me. I am afraid this will end in a disappointment.

I do believe the seperation of helmets and stats without compromise is the way to go.

With Focus we have a possibility to add these stats back to the game and with that reduce redundance of mechanics that alter the final stats of a warframe. Right now its a conflicting decision to make when a player is choosing a helmet to wear. Visuas is confronting with stats and since stats is something that has an impact on gameplay at a more significant rate. The decision turns into an calculation which has a negative impact on the feel a player has while playing.