Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The D Polarity: Changes Must Be Made.

Althran

I am so sick and tired of this happening.  You all know what I'm talking about.  We have all experienced this pain.  You get a brand new weapon that you've been dying to get your hands on, and you go to the modding section and there it is.  A D polarity.  More often than not, it's in the first spot.  WHY.  THERE ARE LESS THAN 15 MODS OVERALL THAT YOU CAN PUT ON A WEAPON WITH A D POLARITY.  And that's including ALL of the 3 weapon categories.

There are a couple things that I'd like to see, each situation being an alternative to the other.

1.) D polarity slots removed altogether on weapons.  There really is no justification for putting defensive mods on weapons.  Warframes are another thing, because they actually require defensive polarities.  Weapons really don't. 

2.) Stop putting D polarities on weapons.  A forma is such a terrible thing to waste on removing a D polarity.  And if you're going to put them on, at LEAST have the decency to NOT PUT THEM IN THE FIRST SLOT.

3.) Add more mods to the D polarity section of weapons so that there are at least SOME usable mods that don't, and I'm putting this very, very lightly, suck.

If you won't do any of these things, at least fix the deep freeze pistol mod that only gives 60% freeze damage instead of 90%.  Seriously, that's been there forever.

This concludes my rant.

Edited by Althran

To be fair

Chances are if its a weapon you wont forma or potato you wouldnt use that D slot

If youd potato it but not forma chances are you wouldnt be able to fit anything of importance if anything at all

If you forma it then you can drop the D (HA) as if it wasnt there

Little experiment:

I have put 3 D polarities on all your pistols. Name which 3 matching polarity mods you would put in those slots and say with a straight face that it sounds like a good build.

I have now put 3 V polarities on all your pistols. Same deal.

Among hundred of mods,. ONLY 3 types among those mod are D polarity. I agreed here, D polarity exist just to spite player to waste a forma here. DE, if you didn't utilize D polarity then just remove it from weapon section or even the entire game. Even my warframe didn't use D polarity!

Edited by HollowBear

Little experiment:

I have put 3 D polarities on all your pistols. Name which 3 matching polarity mods you would put in those slots and say with a straight face that it sounds like a good build.

I have now put 3 V polarities on all your pistols. Same deal.

This.  Yes.

I'd say an interesting option would be to start adding D polarity mods for weapons that aren't well... sub par, effectively choosing the third of your listed ideas.  To go way back, D as a polarity originally spoke to a more defensive nature in mods, back when cold damage always procced a slow on its target, when the currently entirely useless status mods actually caused staggers.  Since damage 2.0 though what little use the D polarity did have one weapons became absolutely voided by the change in elemental mechanics.

Basically, give us CC-style mods which have D polarity.  Possibly giving weapons abilities with cooldowns tied to them for added flair.  Getting a headshot kill causes a 0 damage radial burst over X Meters which has a 100% chance Impact proc to stagger foes which can only occur every Y seconds.  There are a lot of ways one could go nuts here, and it could even serve to not needing to always and only build damage to an extent.

One could come up with a myriad of potentially intriguing effects to tie to the more defensively oriented polarity.  Giving bullets physical force, meaning you can push foes around with gunfire or other such nonsense.  Allowing shots to degrade enemy armor, or weaken their resistances to individual elemental types.

Among hundred of mods,. ONLY 3 types among those mod are D polarity. I agreed here, D polarity exist just to spite player to waste a forma here. DE, if you didn't utilize D polarity then just remove it from weapon section or even the entire game. Even my warframe didn't use D polarity!

Wooooow stop there. D polaritys are useless for weapons, but they are crucial in warframes. Remove the D polarity for weapons and make them exclusive for frames.

I'd say an interesting option would be to start adding D polarity mods for weapons that aren't well... sub par, effectively choosing the third of your listed ideas.  To go way back, D as a polarity originally spoke to a more defensive nature in mods, back when cold damage always procced a slow on its target, when the currently entirely useless status mods actually caused staggers.  Since damage 2.0 though what little use the D polarity did have one weapons became absolutely voided by the change in elemental mechanics.

Basically, give us CC-style mods which have D polarity.  Possibly giving weapons abilities with cooldowns tied to them for added flair.  Getting a headshot kill causes a 0 damage radial burst over X Meters which has a 100% chance Impact proc to stagger foes which can only occur every Y seconds.  There are a lot of ways one could go nuts here, and it could even serve to not needing to always and only build damage to an extent.

One could come up with a myriad of potentially intriguing effects to tie to the more defensively oriented polarity.  Giving bullets physical force, meaning you can push foes around with gunfire or other such nonsense.  Allowing shots to degrade enemy armor, or weaken their resistances to individual elemental types.

This is actually an intriguing idea.  Much better than simply adding better D polarity mods.

Hammershot is the only useful weapon mod that is D polarity. Even then it's only useful on critical builds.

My thought is that DE did this because they wanted to cause pain to be able to use. It was never intended as a bonus. If it was, that developer never plays his own game. It's obviously put in as intended, to slow. Your better off without it.

Edited by Educated_Beast

D isn't automatically a symbol for defense. Cold damage has nothing to do with defense.

IIRC, it's a legacy thing. Before damage 2.0 (correct me if I'm wrong), cold damage slows/freezes on hit making them "defensive". DE just forgot to clean it up and so we're stuck with cold damage on D slot even though they're no longer really defensive.

IIRC, it's a legacy thing. Before damage 2.0 (correct me if I'm wrong), cold damage slows/freezes on hit making them "defensive". DE just forgot to clean it up and so we're stuck with cold damage on D slot even though they're no longer really defensive.

Yes, yes EXACTLY.  Thank you.

I find it hilarious that no one wants to take the D and everyone likes the V.

Sounds familiar?

Really? 

Anyways, as for changes, I did propose this weapon mod Polarity tweak to make D, -- and V Polarities now have more distinct characteristics: 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/354684-making-weapon-polarities-be-more-balanced-out/

Would this be a solution.