Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speed Runs Do Not Help New Players

DarkKnight271

Question

I've only been playing this game for a few months now. Over all I like it but I'm starting to get really annoyed by a certain player behavior. Speed Runs.

Look, I get it. Some of you have been playing this game for years and know ever map inside out and you have all these super powerful weapons and Warframes that you want to show off. But forcing us newer players to speed run every map and every mission because YOU want to isn't helping anyone. How are we supposed to learn the game and how different damages work against different enemies if we never get a chance to even shoot at an enemy because you've already killed everything on the map.

I've recently been called out for being a "newb" and "not knowing anything", well, I am and I don't and it's because of the insistence of speed running everything. I can literally just walk behind other people and gather up the "rewards" for the kills without having to do anything. This is NOT FUN. I've even asked people not to speed run and kill everything on the map and I've been yelled at, told to shut up and laughed at because the guy carrying the squad was "doing us a favor".

To the experienced players that are bored of running these maps and missions, maybe play solo on the lower level stuff that you can cake walk through so the rest of us can actually experience this game. Oh, and I can hear the replies already of, "why don't you just play solo". Well, most of us newer players don't have weapons and warframes forma yet, and we don't have orokin catalysts and reactors installed yet so we actually need to run these missions as squads to complete them.

Or, maybe if you do want to run these lower level missions that you can curb stomp your way through, you let others have the fun and you just make sure no one dies and try to actually teach players things.

The resources you can get in most missions simply are not worth the time when a defense mission can provide a much greater return for much lower effort. The main exception is rare resources. If you need more rares that what you get from defense missions, farming bosses is the way to go.

8 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

A couple of hundred endo just isn't worth the time to grab it.

You really do like to show off don't you? Tell you what, you just give me all your endo and then tell me that a few hundred isn't worth it. Because to me, 200 endo is easily a 10% increase to what I might have stared with.

It get's costly upgrading mods after all.

Edited by DarkKnight271

By the way they're not really speed running as such, they're merely rushing through the level and not bothering with anything but the mission reward cos there's nothing worthwhile in the level for them. THIS is speed running and I'm not showing this to brag, merely to illustrate the difference. It was for a clan rank up and this run was actually a failure cos it was too slow 😞 Apologies for the awful editing, I'm dreadful with Shadowplay. And don't use volume, I was on discord lol.

Edited by Zilchy

2 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

You really do like to show off don't you? Tell you what, you just give me all your endo and then tell me that a few hundred isn't worth it. Because to me, 200 endo is easily a 10% increase to what I might have stared with.

No I'm trying to help you see the big picture. A Primed mod takes 40k endo to max thereabouts. If I want endo, I'll farm endo, not worry about picking up tiny amounts in a mission. That's all I'm trying to explain to you. Just read  every other person's posts here saying exactly the same thing.

Edited by Zilchy

5 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

By the way they're not really speed running as such, they're merely rushing through the level and not bothering with anything but the mission reward cos there's nothing worthwhile in the level for them. THIS is speed running and I'm not showing this to brag, merely to illustrate the difference.

Also, I've been in missions where people do this exact same thing. And I do understand that there might not be anything worth while for you or people in your MR range, but that doesn't mean there's not something there worth while for those lowly low MR people you're dragging through the mission. 

I'll try a different approach. So for instance say we wanted to farm Orokin cells which you're happy to get during an alert. We would prefer going to Sargus Ruk on Saturn and speed running him(takes a few mins each run) since he has about an 80% chance to drop an orokin cell per run. So instead of running through a level breaking everything and hoping for an orokin cell, we just go to the boss who drops it and leave so we can restart. Or say we want Neural sensors. Alad V takes about 1:30 to kill and complete mission and he drops them all the time. Go for a more extreme example, say we want nano spores. We go to Orokin derelict defense with a Speed nova to increase the enemy speed, a hydroid to increase drop chance of resources and a nekros to increase the resource drops. 20 waves of this and we reset, usually getting about 100k nano spores and going again. So you see there are known ways of farming such resources, endo too, so it just makes for better use of our time to speed through the alert. Again if it isn't an actual alert and not a popular farming you shouldn't run into many high level players. If you do, I dunno what they're doing there tbh, I wouldn't be.

Go watch some videos of a high MR player starting a new "free to play" account. Watch what they do. Even though the are short on everything they don't bother with resources in most missions, they go farm in certain missions for specific things. They know what they need, and they go for exactly that. They don't waste time dragging through a mission, they race to then end, then move on.

2 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

Also, I've been in missions where people do this exact same thing. And I do understand that there might not be anything worth while for you or people in your MR range, but that doesn't mean there's not something there worth while for those lowly low MR people you're dragging through the mission. 

Was it an alert? I can understand it if it's an alert. Generally speaking I wouldn't go public for anything other than Kuva farming, defense, interception. Everything else is quick solo, even if it's an alert. The only thing I can think they may be doing is either helping a new player through it and they've gone public to maybe increase affinity gains for the new player? Otherwise I guess they could be levelling a weapon or something though that's generally done in either Hydron or Sanctuary Onslaught.

The one time players will slow down is Medallion searching in Syndicate missions. Then you likely take a frame that can do AoE damage to a large area so you can break all the containers(medallions show up as loot on the radar). Finding those is a pain and most players will check the majority of rooms for them. Do you have a Carrier sentinel btw? 

31 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Hmm I might have to try that then. I think I just suck at editing but I'll give it a crack.

I would use SL OBS instead of plain old OBS as well as SL Chatbot as a complimentary tool if you live stream.

25 minutes ago, DarkKnight271 said:

No one is dragging you, you can always abort and either try the RNG matchup again or as has been said, solo. No one is twisting your arm.

Resource farming is an entirely separate thing from just running through a mission, anyway.

Also, I am not finished with my last primed mod, I went from 20k for the last level of the last one to nothing, and am closing to earning it back in one day because of farming. I didn't even use Arena (which is a good idea for farming endo btw.)

The problem is, no one is going to feel sorry for you or try to help you if you just drool and snarl in response. But even the first post was pretty bad..Except one nice person in this thread you are targeting your hate to so you can ignore that everyone else is saying the same thing to you:

1. not the right place for this, if any is.

2. With that level of angst you are displaying, I'd rush to the exit instead of my usual slow pace just to grind your gears.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur

6 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I would use SL OBS instead of plain old OBS as well as SL Chatbot as a complimentary tool if you live stream.

Also, I am not finished with my last primed mod, I went from 20k for the last level of the last one to nothing, and am closing to earning it back in one day because of farming. I didn't even use Arena (which is a good idea for farming endo btw.)

Quick tip for endo, If you know of any, join a clan that is ascending, 55k endo for free :) 

And thankyou for the video tip :)

Edited by Zilchy

3 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

BTW farming bosses for rare drops is ridic inefficient. I did it as a low MR, but geez just farm a survival and you'll get way more than that. Derelict is advised for orokin cells as it is technically lower on the scale of "rare" there, so I think you get better chances at it.

It really just depends on factors tbh. If enough clan mates are on, we just make a decision whether to speed run a boss or farm on a defense mission. Derelict is much more casual for orokin cells I agree but when you can speed run Sargus Ruk in under 2 minutes, it does end up being more efficient. It just depends who's on at the time and how lazy we're feeling. Generally speaking though, we'd do Derelict defense for nano spores and orokin cells are a by product.

Edited by Zilchy

3 minutes ago, MiloLC said:

For most rares, if you need 2 or 3 it is the fastest way... Assuming you can kill the boss very, very quickly.

From experience doing both, it really isn't though. It's very slow. 

Also, you will need more later if you need some now. Might as well grab a few more. A survival is minimum 5 mins, the boss fight will probs be longer and less likely to drop the item you need.

Also endorsing derelict again, when everyone was complaining about clan researching and building the Hema, me and my boyfriend just split the cost so we'd have a still rather large supply of mutagen samples.

8 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Quick tip for endo, If you know of any, join a clan that is ascending, 55k endo for free 🙂

And thankyou for the video tip 🙂

My clan and alliance would disappear without me, or leadership would change to someone else (I've never tried it.) Plus I already got that endo from going up to shadow, or was it backpay I forget.

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

From experience doing both, it really isn't though. It's very slow. 

Also, you will need more later if you need some now. Might as well grab a few more. A survival is minimum 5 mins, the boss fight will probs be longer and less likely to drop the item you need.

Also endorsing derelict again, when everyone was complaining about clan researching and building the Hema, me and my boyfriend just split the cost so we'd have a still rather large supply of mutagen samples.

I seem to remember doing about 75 runs of Sargus Ruk with a booster for about 350 orokin cells lol and I grant you that's excessive farming 😄 But it was faster than Derelict defense, it only took a few hours.

2 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

My clan and alliance would disappear without me, or leadership would change to someone else (I've never tried it.) Plus I already got that endo from going up to shadow, or was it backpay I forget.

Ah ok. In that case you're doomed to fill Anasa Scupltures 😄 

I’m very much a long-time player but I can totally get where you’re coming from, sir.

I get carried away sometimes, just doing my thing in a mission, not quite realizing I’m subtracting from newer players experiences of the game, unfortunately some people just don’t care.

Conclave (I know, I know. Wretched, isn’t it?) gives an option, I don’t remember what it’s called, that makes matchmaking be targeted around people of a similar rank to you and is completely toggleable. I think it’d be a great idea to include something like that (with an actual explanation on what it does to minimize community rifting). 

2 hours ago, Umbranoir said:

Conclave (I know, I know. Wretched, isn’t it?) gives an option, I don’t remember what it’s called, that makes matchmaking be targeted around people of a similar rank to you and is completely toggleable. I think it’d be a great idea to include something like that (with an actual explanation on what it does to minimize community rifting). 

Ive been weiting for such an option for a long time...