Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus on Ice

Krinkel

Moving along with chapter 14! The second part of the big twist, which should squarely launch us into the final arc of the story!
This chapter's a bit shorter, at 1700 words, but I'd rather it be short and get to the point than too long and filled with dull padding. I've been really excited to show off this part of the story for a while now, so I hope you all enjoy it!

Fun fact: June 16th is the five-month anniversary of me starting this project. Certainly has gone a long way since that board meeting, eh?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY. I am so very sorry for the delay, my work schedule's been changed which messed up how and when I get my writing done as well. Hopefully I've gotten back into the swing of things properly and can return to my regular release schedule. 

Chapter 15! Setting up the big finale here, we're on the final road towards the end. I'd like to thank everyone who's stuck with it up until this point, and my sincerest apologies to DE for what I've done with their world :P. About 2500 words long, and while it's probably a bit rougher than the usual work I pride myself on, I still hope people enjoy it.

As always, thoughts and feedback are always welcome!

Still waiting on DE to rework the Corpus or Infestation and invalidate half the stuff I've written here

5 hours ago, Krinkel said:

OKAY. I am so very sorry for the delay, my work schedule's been changed which messed up how and when I get my writing done as well. Hopefully I've gotten back into the swing of things properly and can return to my regular release schedule. 

Chapter 15! Setting up the big finale here, we're on the final road towards the end. I'd like to thank everyone who's stuck with it up until this point, and my sincerest apologies to DE for what I've done with their world :P. About 2500 words long, and while it's probably a bit rougher than the usual work I pride myself on, I still hope people enjoy it.

As always, thoughts and feedback are always welcome!

Still waiting on DE to rework the Corpus or Infestation and invalidate half the stuff I've written here

Maxima is at least marginally less icy than his frigid surroundings, at least.

22 hours ago, Kerberos-3 said:

So, either Rahl and co will end up doing one of the the following:

A) Die horribly to the space boar,

B) Get lucky and kill it, 

C) Get saved last second by a Tenno.

Make your bets people.

You're missing one: Maxima decides to actually help them out with killing the juggernaut. Then the tenno show up and save the corpus.

7 hours ago, Corvette590 said:

You're missing one: Maxima decides to actually help them out with killing the juggernaut. Then the tenno show up and save the corpus.

Oh no, I actually did consider the possibility of Maxima helping, but then I reread the chapter and came to the conclusion that such an outcome is highly unlikely.

Good news, I have chapter 16 up faster than I expected!

Also it's putting us right at the final battle, so this is where we hit the end of the road. One or two more chapters, and possibly a little epilogue or something. Just a smidge under 2,300 words, so by the time I'm done this whole thing will be sitting comfortably around 'novella' status.  

Since this is the big climax, I'm also contemplating just putting a hold on the usual 'post chapter as written', write up the entirety of the ending, and dropping it in all at once. Would just flow better rather than having to stop and wait a week or two for me to crank out that last bit. Anywho thanks for reading, and as always, comments and feedback are welcome!

The reason I started this chapter where it begins is that I didn't think showing the exact, uh, procedure, would really benefit the story. Just slow things down at this point and would be a bit squeamish even for me.

Edited by Krinkel
repeated myself there, fixed it up
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, bit longer than I expected it to be, but it's finally here.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to read this. It's been an absolutely crazy journey for the last six and a half months, getting through this step by step, and seeing the folks keep up with it has really helped me get through the hard parts. You're all wonderful people for putting up with my nonsense, and I can only hope you've all enjoyed reading it as much as I have writing it. It might be a weird little fan fiction thing on a small corner of the internet, but it means a lot to me as a growing writer to be able to do something like this.

I'd also like to thank DE for making Warframe in the first place. It's probably my favorite game of all time, I've gotten almost 1,500 hours of enjoyment from it, and I don't see that slowing down any time soon. Consider this weird little story as part of my thanks for making such a rich universe and letting us experience it as we have.

Anyway, the last two chapters are a doozy. 17 clocks in at a staggering 4,200 words, which makes it longer than most of the short stories I would write prior to starting this project.The epilogue is only 1,300 words, and I truly hope it leaves people satisfied with what I've created here.

Thank you, everyone.

The entirety of Corpus On Ice sits at 40,669 words. Depending on which definition you go by, that's either a really long novella or a really short novel

And the epilogue:

And that, dear readers, is Corpus On Ice

DE could learn something from this. I think their storytelling has become too much like their gameplay, no one thing ever carries much weight. nothing is truly intimidating. I think you demonstrated a way to fix that, to show the "peasant" side of things and make things like the infestation or grineer soldiers legitimately scary again.