Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What does removing purpletext from Chat Mods accomplish?

(XBOX)Erudite Prime

I'm genuinely curious as to who thought this was a good idea, and who allowed it to be implemented. What does it add to the user experience by not being able to easily tell who the authority figures are? When chat mods were purple, it was very easy to see their warnings and know that they were legitimate. Now, their warnings are easily drowned out by all the rest of chat. A new player has no way of knowing at all who the chat mods are and not notice the warnings at all. The amount of people getting kicked is going to increase because they're simply going to miss warnings or ignore them because they don't know that the "warner" is a mod. Especially since there aren't any clear-cut rules anymore, the main way people figured out the rules was by seeing plainly visible warnings from the mods. Now that's basically gone. New players are going to find themselves getting kicked way more than before now. 

Of all my problems with chat moderation, having them easy to see wasn't one of them. This is just another issue that should really be reverted. Imagine if all cops suddenly went undercover. No uniforms, badges, or anything. Making chat mods less visible does nothing beneficial to the game. 

• Like 1

If someone feels like we should tone it down, it really doesn't matter if that person is a Mod or an average Joe. 

If we only behave like a decent person when we know that someone who has the ability to punish us is watching, there's something wrong. 

I understand what you are saying about the messages possibly getting lost, maybe whispers will be used. 

Regarding the main way people learned what the rules are... Over on our end it's been from seeing people get kicked/banned by the bot and trying to guess what they said before the line was purged. 

That said, I am looking on to see what happens before I make up my mind about the changes. A bad moderator could very well find a way to use a change like this to justify bogus bans by trying to slip a "warning" under the radar. I know that there was a thread complaining about the Mod situation over on XB1 recently, but it's gone now. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

there aren't any clear-cut rules anymore

When did the rules change?

45 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Making chat mods less visible does nothing beneficial to the game. 

If you are only behaving because you know there's someone watching, you aren't getting it.

13 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

When did the rules change?

Rules that are vague don't need to change for people to apply them differently to any given situation. 

That's both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it allows good mods leeway to deal with any given situation as needed. A curse because it lets bad mods get away with anything they like, as long as they get creative with interpretation. 

I've seen some stuff that suggests that XB1 has... a possible issue, in that regard. 

• Like 1

On one hand, taking it away gives the Guides a break.  How annoying would it be to have the purple text when just goofing about, only to be taken seriously and then reported for behaving in a manner unbecoming of a Guide?

On the other, yeah, how the Hek are new players supposed to know how to trust?  Makes it easy for someone to troll them.

It's a shame DE couldn't make the color optional, giving the Guides the ability to turn it off or on depending on what capacity they're fulfilling. 

7 hours ago, MagPrime said:

On one hand, taking it away gives the Guides a break.  How annoying would it be to have the purple text when just goofing about, only to be taken seriously and then reported for behaving in a manner unbecoming of a Guide?

What do you mean? Guides/Mods had the ability to turn purple on or off at will, until the last change where it was forced off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peterc3 said:

If you are only behaving because you know there's someone watching, you aren't getting it.

Great strawman. I find it unsettling that you prefer people to get banned left and right, then for them to be less likely to break the rules at all due to noticeable warnings. 
Well then, chat mods might as well not give warnings out at all. But they do. And people literally cannot see these warnings because they don't stand out and get drowned out, which completely neuters the warnings. 

Edited by (XB1)Erudite God

16 minutes ago, (PS4)cazazombies245 said:

You can @"insert ign" to people notice you are talking to them

And this ^

I personally love this change

Honestly I doubt that it will affect us. I can't say that I've ever seen active moderation on PS4 chat. Like I said above, I have seen things that suggest that things are very different over in XB1 and possibly PC as well. 

I am generally strongly pro-moderation. I have significant concerns about some of the stuff I have seen. 

The only thing this change achieved is that no mod or guide can provide false information anymore appearing as "official statements".

Im pretty sure most of us know who caused an outrage because of that but if not search corpuscop's video on youtube.

Thought this is also a double edged sword because the abuser mods now can go and act however they like, it will only look like "general regiom toxicity".

Edited by Fallen_Echo
  • Like 1