Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia, timing, and buffs...

-Pandemic-

I get it... it's a neat concept and all having to perform actions to the beat of Octavias metronome in order to get her buffs... honestly, I get it.... because it makes sense to force players to be in time rhythmically... it's what her character is all about. However, ingame this isn't always so simple to do with any sort of reliability and it just makes the mechanic clunky song to song. Many people have no problem gaining a desired buff.... others do. Personally, I am a mixed bag of both of these... sometimes I can get the buff with no problems, other times I'll be damned if I can get a buff at all. My suspicion is there is latency causing issues with properly timing to the beat in there.... somewhere. And good luck chasing a highly mobile Octavia all over the place trying to rapid squat and gain Nocturne.

As a player who has absolutely terrible internet service, this is increasingly problematic for me. Even if I am running solo, some of my compositions are just impossible to buff reliably. Do I just not use that particular song? Well... that seems to go against a big part of playing her if the creativity of making her music is just not viable in the first place. I don't know what the fix is for this, I know it has had patches making it easier in the past. Maybe it is time to rethink how we get the buffs? Thoughts?

my ideas for octavia require her to have some enhancements and augments istalled thrusters for movement and special attacks, upgrading the robotics also for recasting, and giving her a primary melee built-in armgun or kitgun immersion, before this fact i figured she could have her limbs updated into gunblade with gunkata stances, and some projectiles, as far as her abilities, i think they lack what vauban has built-in shock and status effects, blast damage, some sonic attacks, and acrobatics, hell, even if she throws her arms like rockets or takes them off to use them as machine guns, i seen that in a nother game lol, maybe we better save that for someone with more limbs and legs like a giant spider themed warframe who isnt bi-pedal, but can remove their limbs for weapons instead of loosing them allies can borrow the weapons and parts from them lol, and other ways to make her moer of a pokemon user when she throws a bot and resonator so if you spam it it feels like dealing damage or at least protectives, and requirements  are difficult to pull off, ducking down to the rhyme is not always perfect occasion if it doesnt work, and if you are already invisible and duck down again near the altar or spehere you should perform different special attacks, the bonuses should be passive add-ons, shes in need of other robots and instruments,  pets and updates to make her more interesting to play with as a new player, 

58 minutes ago, -Pandemic- said:

I get it... it's a neat concept and all having to perform actions to the beat of Octavias metronome in order to get her buffs... honestly, I get it.... because it makes sense to force players to be in time rhythmically... it's what her character is all about. However, ingame this isn't always so simple to do with any sort of reliability and it just makes the mechanic clunky song to song. Many people have no problem gaining a desired buff.... others do. Personally, I am a mixed bag of both of these... sometimes I can get the buff with no problems, other times I'll be damned if I can get a buff at all. My suspicion is there is latency causing issues with properly timing to the beat in there.... somewhere. And good luck chasing a highly mobile Octavia all over the place trying to rapid squat and gain Nocturne.

As a player who has absolutely terrible internet service, this is increasingly problematic for me. Even if I am running solo, some of my compositions are just impossible to buff reliably. Do I just not use that particular song? Well... that seems to go against a big part of playing her if the creativity of making her music is just not viable in the first place. I don't know what the fix is for this, I know it has had patches making it easier in the past. Maybe it is time to rethink how we get the buffs? Thoughts?

lets come up with some interesting things for octavia together, especially for her robot, i think if re-cast it should cause the sphere to change firing modes, deploying it as a sentinel and machine gun or sub weapon to pick up she can throw them but only can use one, so its a good idea to fix the recast so it does alot more interesting things. And i want to aggre with you also that its annoying to squat it never works, her quirks need a little less predictability and she lacks many movesets to save her from walking hence why i think that she gets some k-drive or booster jet implement something so she can dash backwards quickly or sideways leaving behind a sonic explosive, all her instruments also could come with new abilities or buffs, and blueprints could be made to fashion the musical styles, new stances, new sword for mandachord.

4 hours ago, -Pandemic- said:

... some of my compositions are just impossible to buff reliably...

Feel the same.
It is a very interesting concept to let people choose a rythm to get a buff. I like this idea. But as you said it is often problematic.

Octavia is a support for her team. Not all player get that. We have to move with our team, that's here we have a catch. If we don't play with regular player/friend it's difficult to have this synergy.
(maybe) only DE could tell if the most of Octavia's player play more often with their friend.
From my point of view, most of Octavia i meet have turn off their volume set and fill up the same octave's row. More easyer to get those buffs ^^ (i do the same), but without a song, it feel a sad Octavia  that way. :sadcry:

Even when i say it is problematic, i don't want Octavia changed for something esle. It is good the way she is. Have an other way to have those buffs. ONLY IF it'sn't just some random player (like me) who are complaining.

Maybe something with distance between each player, more we are pack, more that buff is strong.
And just a last crazy idea, Octavia perform a dance emote while her power are running and you get a an other buff.

4 hours ago, -Pandemic- said:

Id much rather the buffs be on cycled through like vaubans 2. 

I do believe that it would be appropriate to see some changes to the way Octavia works.

One of the main issues I've found when using her is that unless your song is built for "Min-Max" purpose, it is difficult to spread the buffs to allies. Many comments in the thread have gone over various reasons as to why it fails (latency, mobile missions, etc.)

The trouble with "Min-Max" songs is that they are deafening, often causing players to mute the mandacord in the settings; however, I feel like this betrays the original concept that Octavia was made for - which is as someone has already mentioned, to be a "Rhythm" based frame.

If the majority of people are muting Octavia's songs anyways - removing the possibility of following the rhythm of her songs - is there really still a purpose that the buffs are tied to actions performed within them?

It's a very difficult situation because of balance issues. However, with some number changes (i.e; range, duration, etc,) there could be some improvements made to the Buffs.

> Removing the need to perform actions on the Melody of Metronome and instead have it operate within the flat range could make synchronizing easier to use and feel less clunky.

On 2019-02-15 at 5:06 PM, TehGrief said:

... I feel like this betrays the original concept that Octavia was made for ...

Yep, exactly what i said by my clumsy english. 🙂
That's the hard question, how make an Octavia's improvment without change her purpose.

Had a better idea on my previous one.
> Buff are giving for player in range of Ocatavia power and perform an emote dance. each emote give different buff.

That free us to have whatever song we want to have without a limitation to perform an ackward action in rythm. and maybe resole some "servor freezing problem". (i don't know how say this)

Edited by (PS4)Lunsei

20 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I would run two songs personally.  One for pubs and one for a coordinated group. ...

I like that, if i go that way, i prefer 3 song instead of one or two. 3 song for each power. (Ulti don't change) Each song replace the previous one. It will be funny to start with a lullaby and fnish with hard metal. :)

Your pub song is basicaly a buff given without meaning (i'm not confortable with it) and your cordinated song is what i want too, allow us to be creative.

I have made some more digging, something have always bothering me, but i did never search for small detail. so i did some test in simulacrum to clear out my doubt.
We have only talk about how obtain buff, so it is her third power. But her first and second have the same problem for creativity.

The Mallet only do damage when a note is playing and a sound is produce inside his own field.
The Resonator while he lurs all ennemies in range, he does a little damage over time only when a note is playing.

So we are back where for a better (and easy) result, we have to use a song will a full mandacor like this one (go to last topic) ,than to let us to have our own song.

Edited by (PS4)Lunsei