Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Weapons Suggestions.

Lost_Cartographer

Now that melee is no longer equipped when the "swap weapon" keybind is held, that frees it up for another weapon.  I get it, we have the infinite gear wheel, but until I can figure out how to make the wheel read like pages with each rotation instead of seamlessly filling in spaces and moving ALL OF MY STUFF AROUND such that I can't rely on muscle memory to quickly pick something, I'd appreciate it if I could get away with not having to finagle with yet another gear item.  Seems like this item was introduced as a stop gap because it didn't seem practical to require a second keybind for another weapon, but now an old keybind has been freed up.

Also, I get these are new and all, but are heavy weapons really so powerful that they need to be on a cool down?  We have the big white ammo boxes found in arenas.  Can't those act as heavy ammo containers for standard play?  It'd be nice for our "power creep" to resemble more battlefield options for a change, instead of just better guns and more powerful mods.

Bonus suggestion: A toggle in gameplay options for the gear wheel to flip through pages with each rotation instead of seamlessly spiraling forever.

1 hour ago, Deadoon said:

You can also bind your gear to other buttons.I use the direction keys for my main 4 gear items. You can use the numpad or something if you want more.

I tried this, but my muscle memory is already ingrained with "hold G (my swap keybind) for the third option!" and it feels weird hitting some completely separate key just to swap a gun when I've been using one key for over 5 years now.  Like, if we could carry half our arsenal like a certain Doom Slayer, I would buy it, but as it stands, I see no reason to change things up if we can avoid it, you know?  Simply shifting the heavy weapon to where melee used to be and removing "equip archgun" as a gear item seems like a natural and intuitive course of action.

Edited by Lost_Cartographer

52 minutes ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

I tried this, but my muscle memory is already ingrained with "hold G (my swap keybind) for the third option!" and it feels weird hitting some completely separate key just to swap a gun when I've been using one key for over 5 years now.  Like, if we could carry half our arsenal like a certain Doom Slayer, I would buy it, but as it stands, I see no reason to change things up if we can avoid it, you know?  Simply shifting the heavy weapon to where melee used to be and removing "equip archgun" as a gear item seems like a natural and intuitive course of action.

But the whole point of archguns (on land) is that they are to be used for only a limited amount of time, 

I would love to have the option to carry archgun as part of regular load out, but for your request to materialize it needs to be a item that is available to all players from the start and have no cooldown period. 

6 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

But the whole point of archguns (on land) is that they are to be used for only a limited amount of time, 

I would love to have the option to carry archgun as part of regular load out, but for your request to materialize it needs to be a item that is available to all players from the start and have no cooldown period. 

I don't know about it being available from the start because this IS a raw power up (just not as huge as, say, the mod primed point blank over point blank) but having no cool down would make these less of a nifty gimmick/novelty item and something people could rely on, which would make future releases, primed variations and new archgun mods actually exciting.  I mean, if you can run Fortuna bounties with level 40-60 enemies, getting a heavy gun as a third weapon option is already more a lateral power up than a vertical one.  You've already proven you can take on a lot of heat, you don't really need heavy weapons as they're currently balanced.  If they lived up to their title of big-f$&#ing-gun, I'd understand the cool down, but as it stands, the BFG 9000 they ain't.  

doombfgbanner.jpg

Edited by Lost_Cartographer

49 minutes ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

I don't know about it being available from the start because this IS a raw power up (just not as huge as, say, the mod primed point blank over point blank) but having no cool down would make these less of a nifty gimmick/novelty item and something people could rely on, which would make future releases, primed variations and new archgun mods actually exciting.  I mean, if you can run Fortuna bounties with level 40-60 enemies, getting a heavy gun as a third weapon option is already more a lateral power up than a vertical one.  You've already proven you can take on a lot of heat, you don't really need heavy weapons as they're currently balanced.  If they lived up to their title of big-f$&#ing-gun, I'd understand the cool down, but as it stands, the BFG 9000 they ain't.  

doombfgbanner.jpg

Yes. 

17 hours ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

Also, I get these are new and all, but are heavy weapons really so powerful that they need to be on a cool down?

They were made to work with the specific battle the ammo boxes drop in. They were allowed to exist outside that decently tested area with a large cooldown. They are currently, I would imagine, looking at how people use them as they are, to make changes in the future.

17 hours ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

Seems like this item was introduced as a stop gap because it didn't seem practical to require a second keybind for another weapon, but now an old keybind has been freed up.

The keybind for a feature is generally the least of any issues it might have and the least consequential.

2 hours ago, peterc3 said:

They were made to work with the specific battle the ammo boxes drop in. They were allowed to exist outside that decently tested area with a large cooldown. They are currently, I would imagine, looking at how people use them as they are, to make changes in the future.

I imagine they're not seeing as much use when our primaries and secondaries can easily outclass them, especially considering the sheer lack of mods available for them at the moment.  It really wouldn't be breaking the game to make them more standard as a weapon.

The keybind for a feature is generally the least of any issues it might have and the least consequential.

Not a good excuse regardless.  A keybind that's been there for years is now freed up for a new third weapon swap, and I see no good reason not to use it for heavy weapons.

58 minutes ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

It really wouldn't be breaking the game to make them more standard as a weapon.

This has literally no weight coming from the players side of things. You can't know enough to say that.

I quite prefer the heavy weapons as a cooldown item on the gear wheel when outside the Profit Taker mission. I have no shortage of keys to bind things too, but then again, I am using a Razer Tartarus, Razer Anasi, and Corsair Scimitar. Perhaps this would be a bigger issue if I were playing on PS4. IDK about a key bind specifically for switching to heavy weapon. To be honest, the amount of time it takes to catch the space drop makes the switch already feel too clunky to deal with on an accidental button press, which is why I prefer to keep it behind several button presses.

Edited by xZeromusx

1 hour ago, xZeromusx said:

I quite prefer the heavy weapons as a cooldown item on the gear wheel when outside the Profit Taker mission. I have no shortage of keys to bind things too, but then again, I am using a Razer Tartarus, Razer Anasi, and Corsair Scimitar. Perhaps this would be a bigger issue if I were playing on PS4. IDK about a key bind specifically for switching to heavy weapon. To be honest, the amount of time it takes to catch the space drop makes the switch already feel too clunky to deal with on an accidental button press, which is why I prefer to keep it behind several button presses.

You need only ask yourself how many times you've accidentally equipped your melee weapon in the past, since what I'm suggesting is moving the heavy weapon to where equipping melee was before.

This has literally no weight coming from the players side of things. You can't know enough to say that.

It ain't breaking the game now.  We can actively experiment with using the weapons in game play at current and I'm not feeling like I can take these over my primary or secondary of choice and stomp everything, they're very much "an additional option."  We don't necessarily kill things faster because we have a heavy weapon at our disposal, we just have one more tool to consider when trouble comes along.

At current, we just trade in the task of picking up ammo to instead wait for said BFG's ammo stores to fully regenerate before we can draw it again, which takes 5 minutes tops.  But the timing scales with the ammo spent.  This means there is coding there to convert ammo count to time and it stands to reason that it can do vice versa with some extra lines if it's not already set up to do that, just not yet activated.  So even if we go without ammo drops, and considering these weapons hardly blow away the weaponry we've been using for the past 5+ years, why again can't we pull these things out whenever even if we'll have to deal with whatever ammo they may have relative to the amount of time left on the cool down?

il y a 6 minutes, Lost_Cartographer a dit :

You need only ask yourself how many times you've accidentally equipped your melee weapon in the past, since what I'm suggesting is moving the heavy weapon to where equipping melee was before.

Enough times to appreciate the new melee 3.0's instant swap. But this isn't the .5 seconds to swap melee weapon to gun that you can do while moving. This is the 2 seconds to catch the space drop heavy weapon which causes you to be rooted in place for that time. Unless you aim to completely do away with the gravimag stuff to make it quicker. Though I have my doubts that such will happen.

Edited by xZeromusx