Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Off-Host use of Exalted Melee results in loss of functionality

Umgak

Summary:

While playing as a Client, deactivating any Exalted Melee ability with certain melee weapons equipped can result in the player's upper body becoming frozen, leaving them unable to switch weapons or attack. The player must have other weapons equipped for the issue to manifest, and I have not personally been able to reproduce it as the host of the lobby.

A workaround is present: attempting to switch weapons, then casting certain abilities (Valkyr - Warcry, Paralysis, Excalibur - Radial Javelin, Wukong - Defy, Baruuk - any ability) will free the player. However, this is not a fully complete workaround, as the player will not be able to roll or dodge even after freeing their weapon.

Players can now simply melee or dodge to escape the bugged state. The bugged state still exists and can be entered, but it's much easier to get out, which I'd say demotes this bug from game-breaking to major.

The bug is not present with all melee weapon types. I have confirmed it with the following:

• Rapiers (Destreza Prime)
  • Machetes (Gazal Machete)
  • Nikanas (Nikana Prime, Skiajati)
  • Gunblades (Redeemer Prime)
  • Sword & Shield (Silva & Aegis Prime)
  • Staves (Sepfahn zaw)
  • Tonfa (Telos Boltace)
  • Warfans (Gunsen)
  • Swords (Broken War)
  • Sparring (Kogake Prime) - Thanks @Xyngrr
  • Heavy Blades (Paracesis) - Thanks @SpinLiquid and @Unifel
  • Dual Swords (Dex Dakra) - Thanks @lazarus1232

I have NOT been able to reproduce it with the following weapon types:

• Hammers
  • Daggers
  • Dual Daggers
  • Glaives
  • Polearms (bugged according to @Aralicia and @Chanzi)
  • Scythe
  • Two-Handed Nikanas
  • Blade and Whip

Need testing:

• Claws
  • Nunchaku
  • Whip

Steps to reproduce:

1. Equip a frame with an Exalted Melee weapon and a weapon from one of the categories in the first list, as well as weapons in your other slots (may not be required, but seems more consistent with them filled).
  2. Join a lobby as a Client.
  3. Activate, then de-activate Exalted Melee.

Note: the bug is not perfectly consistent and may take multiple tries.

Workaround for now:

1. Attempt to switch weapons. The weapon may appear in your hands, though you will still be unable to fire.
  2. Activate one of the previously mentioned abilities. After the ability's respective animation is complete, the frame will return to mostly normal functionality, though you will not be able to roll, sidespring, or backspring for the duration of the match.

New workaround:

Just melee or dodge to escape the bug.

A video showcasing both the bug and the old workaround for Valkyr is available here:

Big thanks to Nikose for being patient while I goofed off in Simulacrum.

Edited by Umgak
Updated list with a few that I was able to reproduce.
  • Like 2

This has happened to me too, using hammers (specifically, jat kittag). i fixed it to a certain extent, by jumpin in a hole (allowed me to use guns, but melee got stuck in hysteria stance even when not using hysteria)
i have also noticed that hysteria acumulated damage doesnt go away anymore once u de-cast the skill.

I've experienced this multiple times with Valkyr and War (The fixed version, not Broken War). So, perhaps heavy blades too? Haven't tested with other heavy blades, so maybe just War.

Edit: Also reproduced with Paracesis, a different heavy blade

Edit 2: Perhaps worth noting, both with Cleaving Whirlwind stance?

Edited by Unifel

12 minutes ago, Unifel said:

I've experienced this multiple times with Valkyr and War (The fixed version, not Broken War). So, perhaps heavy blades too? Haven't tested with other heavy blades, so maybe just War.

I don't have War but I did test with multiple Heavy Blades (Gram Prime, Paracesis, Scindo Prime, Zenistar) and wasn't able to reproduce it. That said, the bug isn't consistent, so it very well might work on those.

Had the same issue multiple times using Valkyr+Guandao, although as you said, it's not consistent. In the same game, I may be able to switch in and out of Hysteria a few times before the issue appear.

The workaround I've been using to fix the issue was a quick switch to operator mode and back.

Can't test it right now, but maybe the issue appears only if the frame is wielding the melee weapon before activating the exalted weapon, for the issue to appear when deactivating it ?

2 minutes ago, Aralicia said:

Had the same issue multiple times using Valkyr+Guandao, although as you said, it's not consistent. In the same game, I may be able to switch in and out of Hysteria a few times before the issue appear.

The workaround I've been using to fix the issue was a quick switch to operator mode and back.

Can't test it right now, but maybe the issue appears only if the frame is wielding the melee weapon before activating the exalted weapon, for the issue to appear when deactivating it ?

I can confirm that that's not it. It still sometimes doesn't trigger if you're holding the melee, and I've had the bug trigger while I was holding a Rubico as well.

I am having this issue too. I am not sure what triggers it, but it was triggered once after my Exalted Blade ran out of energy.

I have found that activate the gear wheel and using a codex scanner helps. However, that is impossible in the Sanctuary Onslaught, and it results in my being unable to help my team at all.

I CAN use Transference and fire my Void Beam. I CANNOT use Void Dash. Maybe this is related?

There were a few posts on this topic from when the melee update first came out. You definitely have the best write up on this from the threads I've seen. Hopefully this gets looked at sooner than later. In the meantime I haven't enjoyed playing Valkyr or my Umbro at all, which were my favorites 😢

• Like 1

On 2019-03-26 at 8:51 PM, Sgt_Kabukiman said:

it really feels like they dont even TEST THEIR CRAP when they release something new.

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

I never thought i would be angry with DE but S#&$ like this is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

TEST YOUR S#&$ BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT GOD DAMNIT!

Not all glitches can be identified immediately. You can't expect them to test every single preexisting capability with new updates. If it bothers you so much just avoid those frames until DE fixes the problem.

Anyway, this is an issue with Orthos (polearm) and Valkyr as well. Switching weapons or going into operator mode typically doesn't work for me--I usually have to die for it to fix itself. As Valkyr, the game appears to trap you in Hysteria as its icon is greyed out, so I'm assuming that Warframe assumes you're still in it as the rest of your abilities are perfectly functional.

Mesa+skiajati, had the issue while toroid farming. well, there goes my morning...I'm finding melee 2.9 is proving to be a detriment across the board. The only non-problematic change is aimable ground slams. auto-block activates aim glide (and also drains energy while channeling), switching weapons in exalted abilities doesn't deactivate energy drain but you lose any benefits like lifesteal, invulnerability, damage reductions and the like. Can't aim without switching to a ranged weapon, can't switch to melee without attacking, both of which make exalted abilities that much more awkward to work with. Then add the bug this post is about for more misery. Ugh.

sidenote:  @Sgt_Kabukiman there's a reason why pc is labeled as permanent open beta.

Edited by Kherae

i have had this happen with both valkyr and wukong, with valkyr it has happened with guandao, zenistar and dex dakra. and with wukong dex dakra and paracesis. this really needs to be fixed soon. hope this helps 

Edited by lazarus1232

Having the same problem with valkyr. 

I had some other weird variants as well where e.g. i stayed invulnerable not being able to roll, use scanner and also use my abilities. It would always say "ablity in use" no matter the ability. This just straight up turns you into a spectator for your own team since you cant even be downed or killed by anything to remove the bug.

Hoping for a fix asap... it's very annoying sometimes unplayable

Same bug. Got out of it most recently by blocking an enemy strike,  previously have also had success using various abilities, usually evade.
When the bug hits, he assumes and freezes the draw/sheathe sparring fists raised pose in his upper body.

Baruuk

Synoid Simulor ( also with Argonak )
Vaykor Marelok ( also with a Gaze Kitgun )
Prisma Obex ( sparring )

Something i didn't see anyone talk about is the fact you can't pick anything up sometimes if this happens so if you run out of energy you can't use warcry and i managed to jump off the map which reseted me but i used valkyr fourth ability again aaaand the second time nothing fixed it... This is pretty bad and i agree with everyone else that is weird how they haven't tried to think of a quickfix already. And for those blaming DE they should keep in mind that it was mentioned a few times that the bug is inconsistent so they might have overlooked it since they got unlucky/lucky.