Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wolf of Saturn difficulty makes absolutely 0 sense lore wise

NovusKnight

I'm aware there are a dozen other threads complaining (and rightfuly so) about the fact that the design behind Wolf of Saturn six, as a boss, amounts to:

LETS DESIGN A BOSS

Step 1: give it 1 billion health.

Step 2: multiply his base health by a billion.

Step 3: add immunity to everything that isn't raw damage.

Step 4: add 95% reduction to damage.

Step 5: give it invincible minions.

Step 6: make all his attacks, including the ones from his minions, one-shot everything they hit.

real fun, isn't it?

However, what I do want to complain about isn't even the stats themselves. it's instead, a point of view based on LORE.

consider this: invulnerability isn't something unique to Wolf or his minions. Alienad V is immune to damage most of the time. Sargas Ruk is also immune most of the time. Same with Vay Hek. Stalker has invulnerabilties and immunities.

h o w e v e r...

lets go on a case by case.

Vay Hek: this guy is basicaly a brain inside a mega armored optimized combat mech suit. it's hardly a big surprise that most shots that hit something that isn't a weakspot aren't effective at all. lore wise he invested a LOT in defense. considering his status as a VERY high ranking politician, it's like Air Force 1 or the president's car in just how far fetched and overkill its defensive measures go. granted, those aren't invincible, but you'll have a hard time downing either of them with convencional means. it's frustrating, yes, but justified.

Alad V: he's a bloody rich Tony Stark corpus tecnician who works on cuttine edge robotics and technology. installing a powerful overshield projector (similar to the one defending the Orb spiders) on Zanuka doesn't seem like something he couldn't pull off. Zanuka herself is a competent threat, but not invincible or immune to anything. AS AN INFESTED, it's a bit different. consider that NIDUS, an infested frame, can divert damage off of him, gaining incredible damage reduction. Possibly, Alad V has a similar ability tied to the ship itself. or, alternatively (and considering he loses his invincibility when throwing his colar) an overshield projector that is instaled in the colar.

Sargas Ruk: this guy has stuuuupid thick armor, same level of it as Vay Hek. and that's fine, seeing as this is a general (likely stupidly well paid) who runs a relic hunting outfit (EVEN MORE STUPIDLY WELL PAID) and is a huge fan of body augmentation (meaning he wouldn't be shy about cutting off bits of himself to replace them with the newest cutting edge tech in defensive augmentations). similar case as Vay Hek in most regards.

See where I'm getting to?

now let's look at Wolf.

Wolf is a *max security prisoner.* this guy spent the last years of his life in a max security prison.

he busted the #*!% out and brought some prisoners with him.

... aaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's it. this seemingly happened at most weeks ago, in-game, canon wise.

he does not have the connections to get special gear, or status that acquires it for him.

he does not have the money to purchase anything since he just escaped prison and I don't imagine his argumentative prowess helps in concluding business.

he is an enemy of both Corpus and Grineer, and neither side would provide him with anything.

he uses a big hammer and screams like a savage. I'm sorry, I just don't see him having the intelect needed to create advanced equipment on par with the previous examples.

He likely has some prosthetics and augmentations, as all grineer do, but I strongly doubt these are of the same quality as other bosses.

Him being a prisoner rules out access to military grade equipment.

sooooooooo...

-why are his minions unkillable, again?- they don't even wear body armor, and no one should realisticaly have access to overshield projectors, or void powers, or Nidus-style damage redirection.the heck is going on here.

-why are his minions basicaly throwing bottled sun plasma at you? scorches and napalms and hyeka masters are specialized MILITARY personel with MILITARY GRADE incendiries, in case of the hyeka master he literaly uses a similar napalm grenade. yet somehow, these deranged underequiped half-naked prisoners have access to napalm that burns so hot, it instantly melts a freaking warframe.

-Why is Wolf immune to warframe powers? almost no boss is. Kela De Thaym gets completely wrecked by some abilities, like Molecular Prime. and, again: SHE USES MILITARY GRADE AUGMENTATIONS, ARMOR, AND GEAR. she has built-in grenade launchers and missiles in her suit, for crying out loud. even worse example: CAPTAIN VOR, a character who uses a JANUS KEY, dabbles in orokin technology, and  BECOMES A VOID FUELED AVATAR, is not immune. yet Special Snowflake Shawshank Screamo is immune to void-powered reality-bending abilities. for... some reason. maybe he's a dragonborn, and uses the thu'um, with all that shouting. Maybe he uses Become Ethereal?

-Why exactly does Wolf have such high levels of armor and / or damage resistance? again, it makes absolutely no sense, seeing he has no means of getting what basicaly amounts to starship hull grade armor. excluding armor, there's always damage resistance. and I gotta ask, exactly how and why would he have Sentient-style damage resistance, making most damage sources almost negligibly weak? physical damage is a joke, elemental damage isn't better. entire kitgun magazines pumped into this guy and I barely see more than 100-200 damage per hit. on weapons that arbitratily one-shot level 100+ heavy units.

this goes a bit beyond bad boss design. DE completely shot themselves in the foot with this one, because it's like this character doesn't even fit into the game.

to me, Wolf of Saturn is little more than a 16 year old's self-inserted OC edgelord Gary Stu based on Bane from batman, with similar attitude but none of the charm or intelligence. come on DE, you can do so much better than this.

• Like 2

Grineer are imperfect clones.. Wolf just happened to be incredibly bad ass in his "imperfect" State. 

All the clones are based on an Orokin if I'm not mistaken. Nearly invincible to begin with, he likely could have clones in with more Orokin genetics than most Grineer. 

But!  That should make him susceptible to something, the Tennis did massacre the race after all. 

Maybe his armor is just that good. He's almost a Bane from Batman with that mask he has. 

Game mechanics and difficulty are not really related to lore. On the one hand, Warframe tells a story (many stories), but on the other hand, it's a game that's meant to be fun. So there are times where things don't line up. The effort it takes to kill enemies is one of the biggest examples of these.

The Kuva Fortress is where the Queens live, protected by every defence imaginable and the best enemies. The Kuva Grineer are generally level 28-34. But if I go to Mercury and stay at Odin for three hours, eventually the low-level Butchers and Lancers are going to be stronger than the enemies you find at the Kuva Fortress. What does this mean lore-wise? Nothing. It's one of those things you have to ignore, like the fact that bosses keep coming back after you kill them (unless you want to hand-wave it by saying "they're clones!"), or the fact that you can pause a game in solo mode, or the hitpoints model in general.