Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should DE do crossplay between platforms?

(NSW)TheBigDav

We know it's possible, because Fortnite did it between PC, XBone, PS4, and the Switch.

But should DE put resources and money into crossplay between the platforms? Updates would be slower, and it would most certainly introduce some more bugs (but I think Warframe players are used to bugs here and there by now) but it could be worth it.

I play mainly on the Switch, and I would definitely appreciate the 100,000 PC players joining in on the fun with us. Not to mention the thousands, or rather tens of thousands, of XBone and PS4 players coming together too.

This wasn't the first nor it will be the last time it has been mentioned. But crossplay between platforms is not possible because of multiple reasons. 

1. Different Updates/Technically Not Possible: The PC versions are always ahead in updates that would take a few weeks to appear on console. Reasons for this being is mainly because of the certification process that has to go into each update that DE puts out for consoles by the Console heads which takes quite a while. PC does not have to go through this hence they always get the new updates first and immediately. A good side to this is that Consoles gets cleaner updates since most bugs a rectified in the PC version. And I doubt PC players want slower updates just for crossplay.

1. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Legally Not Possible: While the PC version is out of the formula that doesn't mean the console themselves cannot have crossplay. But this is more of on the Console Execs side since DE cannot do anything with crossplay unless they get the go ahead by the owners of the consoles themselves. We know Sony ain't going to cave in for crossplay (simply because there aren't kids whining for it like for fortnite) but it still might be possible for Microsoft and Nintendo. As to why they haven't allowed it yet well who knows, I guess that whole team up session was only a PR statement to stick it to Sony and appear as "consumer-friendly".
Edited by ShadowExodus
  • Like 2

SpaceLords has cross-play just fine, and updates across all systems just fine. So there's no reason why WarFrame can't. It's likely because there isn't the demand like with those other games. I have accounts on both, and I can see why PC players wouldn't want console players mixed in with them. Play both yourself and you'll see why. 

12 minutes ago, (PS4)DARK_WIZARD999 said:

SpaceLords has cross-play just fine, and updates across all systems just fine. So there's no reason why WarFrame can't. It's likely because there isn't the demand like with those other games. I have accounts on both, and I can see why PC players wouldn't want console players mixed in with them. Play both yourself and you'll see why. 

Spacelords doesn’t exactly look like a AAA game with a massive fan base lol.

Why do you say that as if console players are some big problem for the PC playerbase?

With PC players comes ridiculous platinum prices, the riven mafia and that age old PC elitism.

We have more to lose than you do.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

Spacelords doesn’t exactly look like a AAA game with a massive fan base lol.

Why do you say that as if console players are some big problem for the PC playerbase?

With PC players comes ridiculous platinum prices, the riven mafia and that age old PC elitism.

We have more to lose than you do.

I started on console, and opened a PC account sometime after. Console players have a terrible lack of unit cohesion, their market is terribly slow, many times more host migrations because of rage quitting and such. Speaking of the market, instead of a mafia it's more like a barren wasteland on console. I spend hours selling prime parts, rivens, or anything compared to minutes on PC. Not to mention all of the PC players ripping people off with the riven prices on console. Clans and people in general are also much more helpful on PC, and I found I was able to receive items from people out of the blue. My experience is anecdotal of course, but I've been following the game since its dark sector based prototype. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)DARK_WIZARD999 said:

SpaceLords has cross-play just fine, and updates across all systems just fine.

It's not a technical issue. This had been explained more times than anyone would care to count. It's a legal issue and Sony doesn't want to get on board. Sony is the problem, not DE.

38 minutes ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

It's not a technical issue. This had been explained more times than anyone would care to count. It's a legal issue and Sony doesn't want to get on board. Sony is the problem, not DE.

I know that, but spacelords is on PlayStation 4 and PC. Which means Sony is not an iron wall. If they're willing to do it for a small company like Mercury, then it's likely DE that has the ball in their Court. I've never seen a statement from digital extremes explaining why they won't make a deal with Sony. I don't know about Microsoft however. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)DARK_WIZARD999 said:

And what proof do you have that?

Almost every other Devstream for the last 4 years? Every other response on all umpteen crossplay form posts since ever? They want to do it, but Sony doesn't want to play nice bc Sony reason. I'm not saying it makes sense,. Just saiyng that's the way it is.

Speaking of proof, you're the one claiming it's DE being difficult and not wanting crossplay. The burden of proof is in you. Put your money where your mouth is, eh?

13 minutes ago, (PS4)DARK_WIZARD999 said:

spacelords is on PlayStation 4 and PC. Which means Sony is not an iron wall. If they're willing to do it for a small company like Mercury, then it's likely DE that has the ball in their Court

2 minutes ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

Almost every other Devstream for the last 4 years? Every other response on all umpteen crossplay form posts since ever? They want to do it, but Sony doesn't want to play nice bc Sony reason. I'm not saying it makes sense,. Just saiyng that's the way it is.

Speaking of proof, you're the one claiming it's DE being difficult and not wanting crossplay. The burden of proof is in you. Put your money where your mouth is, eh?

I said likely, I don't often watch the streams, and I've never seeing a straight answer from DE in the time I've even been on the forums. I said it doesn't make sense when Sony makes deals with smaller companies. So maybe take your cheeky little attitude and shove it up your Anasa port. 

Lately Nintendo and Microsoft have been oddly chummy what with the whole "Xbox Live on Switch" thing supposedly happening, so I could see those two platforms merging with some possibility.

Though I doubt it would ever happen between all three consoles and the PC version will likely never match with the consoles due to how the update cycle is currently, though DE has been shrinking the time between updates by a bit here and there lately.

Overall answer from my Magic 8 Ball: Future is uncertain try again later.

Q: Why doesn’t Warframe offer cross-platform play?

A: The differences between platforms prevent us from offering cross-platform play. The updates between PC and console don’t align, for example. There are also differences between items on Xbox One and PS4. With these nuances in mind, we don’t have any plans to offer cross-platform play in the future.

Just now, Phatose said:

Q: Why doesn’t Warframe offer cross-platform play?

A: The differences between platforms prevent us from offering cross-platform play. The updates between PC and console don’t align, for example. There are also differences between items on Xbox One and PS4. With these nuances in mind, we don’t have any plans to offer cross-platform play in the future.

What a lame duck answer. Wouldn't be the first time. Nevertheless I stand corrected. I never would have looked in the FAQ section.