Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee animations... come on now

Why ?! Why every time you change your frame’s animation, it’s cool until you hold your melee weapon ?! That animation never changed and it is the same with all frames even Wisp, Wisp doesn’t have feet, but once she holds a melee weapon, she walks and stands like she had feet ! Just why ?

make this topic popular to make melee holding animations have an update 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, AirMaskNinja said:

Wisp doesn’t have feet, but once she holds a melee weapon, she walks and stands like she had feet ! Just why ?

because there's 20+ types of melees and designing a special animation for each of these for only 1 frame is a waste of time and resources, same with every other frame 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GinKenshin said:

because there's 20+ types of melees and designing a special animation for each of these for only 1 frame is a waste of time and resources, same with every other frame 

Don't forget two for each frame, noble and agile...

• Like 2

To put this into perspective, 21 weapon types for 40 unique Warframes with two stances each would be 1680 individual animations. It would actually be less than that as few of the weapon types have overlapping grips (E.g. staves and polearms, sparring and claw weapons) but not enough to make it a reasonable endeavor.

3 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

To put this into perspective, 21 weapon types for 40 unique Warframes with two stances each would be 1680 individual animations. It would actually be less than that as few of the weapon types have overlapping grips (E.g. staves and polearms, sparring and claw weapons) but not enough to make it a reasonable endeavor.

It’s not like DE has any other games to work on

Just now, Legion-Shields said:

They have other parts of the game to work on though. Assuming nightwave season 2 involves new animations, its all hands on deck so that people can get their nitain and the forums can stop getting the same posts about it every couple of hours

3 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

Come on, as if they needed anything more then Warframe to work on, they already struggle to get content fast enough as it is, and have and endless backlog of other things to fix and update.

I guarantee those animators have their hands full with melee 3.0

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Come on, as if they needed anything more then Warframe to work on, they already struggle to get content fast enough as it is, and have and endless backlog of other things to fix and update.

I guarantee those animators have their hands full with melee 3.0

What’s the rush? 

8 minutes ago, AirMaskNinja said:

They managed for guns...

Well yeah, between all primary and secondary weapons there are 7 grip types. And other then Spear guns which are relatively recent and needed stance animations retroactively made for older Warframes, they are made in small batches as needed when a new Warframe comes out. 

Simply put, DE already decided ages ago that the logistics were too great, and it's only gotten worse as more frames and melee types are released.

25 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

What’s the rush? 

If you put it that way, sure maybe it'll happen sometime within the next 4 years 😛

I agree with the OP. It bothers me so much that melee still uses default animations. Granted the other posts make good points about the work.

I would honestly be fine with it if they shipped those out in parts (starting with excalibur umbra, wisp and garuda). They could actually start with the easiest ones such as sparing and fists (majority of them would just be using the animations sets and adding the sparing and fist weapons onto them).

Heck, I would be completely fine with them making the idle poses and stopping there (except for wisp which requires replacing her walk with the custom floating movement they made).

So long as melee eventually gets some animations to use besides default. 

• Like 2

On 2019-05-29 at 12:54 AM, GinKenshin said:

Well, that is a TAD bit exaggerated...

In reality, a LOT of weapons re-use animations, especially holding/blocking animations. I did some testing, and from what I can tell there are only 12 unique walking animations for melee weapons. Did you know that Blade+Whip weapons use the walking and blocking animation for dual blades?

But yeah, even 12 weapon types to make unique animations for is a bit of a stretch, especially considering DE's own brand of Valve time.

Am 29.5.2019 um 08:15 schrieb rapt0rman:

You could perhaps get away with only doing one stance, but the difference between "Noble" and "agile" is quite big with some frames, and then you've got the same problem you started with "The Melee animations are not quite fitting". and even then, that's 840 animations that have to be made, just to make the melee animations look slightly more fitting.

Am 30.5.2019 um 20:57 schrieb mac10smg-ToaOfGreen:

Well, that is a TAD bit exaggerated...

In reality, a LOT of weapons re-use animations, especially holding/blocking animations. I did some testing, and from what I can tell there are only 12 unique walking animations for melee weapons. Did you know that Blade+Whip weapons use the walking and blocking animation for dual blades?

But yeah, even 12 weapon types to make unique animations for is a bit of a stretch, especially considering DE's own brand of Valve time.

Yeah, it still comes to about 980 animations. Even if you only took one stance for each warframe, its still 480 animations. Even with my theoretical minimum of 480, its still alot of work  just to make things look slightly better.

I originally found Wisps walking on her stumps(?) immersion breaking. Now I find it rather funny, though not necessarily in a good way.

If DE had the time to make a new frame with animations that broke the standards being used. They had the time to do it right. What we were given is incomplete...