Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proposal to regain the Manual Block while keeping the current system

NightmareT12

As title says I've been giving this some thought lately. Ever since the Melee Phase one changes came out, I've been missing more and more the blocking mechanic. No longer Guardian Derision had an use, Silva and Aegis felt wrong and honestly I miss the whole action and control over it.

On the other hand, I love the new quicker transition system. So why not have both? Yes. It's possible.

My first priority was looking for a way that all controlling systems were able to take advantage of it. Buttons are scarce on controllers already, so it's hard to find a space. My second priority was to make sure that Snipers and bows could benefit, since these need the aim function fairly often. And there is a way to keep it all.

First a disclaimer, the Fire action would remain intact and work as it does now. So if you're using any rifle, pistol, etc. it would fire as it works right now. No behavior change there.

But the Reload button. Right now, it does nothing but reload, and only when you can (so it doesn't do anything if the Magazine is full). But what if pressing the reload button brought your currently equipped ranged weapon back out again?

In other words: You're using Excalibur. You have a Skana and a Braton, which is at half magazine. Here we have three scenarios:

• Standing still, you press block (RMB/LT/L2). You block.
  • Standing still, you press reload. You reload.
  • Standing still, you press fire. You fire.
  • Standing still, while blocking, you press/tap (both work) reload. You DON'T reload. You get into aiming mode UNLESS your Magazine is Empty.

This way we:

• Don't have to look for a new button.
  • Can keep both actions relatively easy. If you want to directly reload you can (just don't block). If you want to aim, simply press reload, which is a face button so it's relatively easy to get into (On PC, E and R are usually next to each other due QWERTY. On controllers, Reload is on Square (PS4)/X (Xbox)/Y (Switch)). That will allow you for a quick tap and start firing immidately if needed (yay Snipers).
  • Keep both, the current and upcoming combo system the SAME. That's right, in the grand scheme of things it won't require to throw under a bus all the work done so far (but it will be hell for a coder. Sorry coder, we love you).

TL;DR: Keep the system as is, allow for Aim to be Block again, allow Block + Reload (a tap would work) bring you back into specifically aiming.

Comments, suggestions, throw me under the bus?

Edited by NightmareT12
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Genitive said:

Sounds good. Personally, I'd have to try it out to see if it is comfortable, but I like the idea.

I thought of moving channelling to reload and binding block and related features to alt fire. It can also work.

Would work better on PC, since on console it's bound to the sticks and changing it makes for wonky controls. Imagine the pain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dragazer said:

I'm all for blocking being manual again, but I believe the reload button was planned to be used for melee heavy attacks for 3.0

Well, we have a trail run of the system, and there's not a heavy attack in sight. And the old input for Charge attack would work better anyway - it's a lot more ergonomic on a keyboard than pressing X. Honestly, just getting rid of the antiquated wind-up would make them far more useful on their own.

With that said, yes. Yes please. Right now we've got a glut ways to switch back - aim, fire, reload (when available) and weapon switch. We can afford to lose one of them to get back more control over melee, especially with the greater emphasis RMB has in the new system.

Half the combos require an input that can lead to you putting away your melee. Why??

Nah, RMB switch and autoparry have to be nuked out utterly and forever, not a single trace of them is worth preserving after how much they have disrupted melee. Manual block needs to be back, no caveats or compromises, RMB should only ever block when melee is out.

Just make reload switch even if the magazine is full. And don't bind heavy attacks to reload if you decide to put them in, if it also switches weapon whether full or not.

Edited by vaarnaaarne