Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

18 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

What type of swordsmanship do you practice?

No name. It is pieced together from manuals on medieval/rennaissance/victorian era fighting, modern asian martial arts styles, and a lot of full contact sparring. Think MMA, but with swords, axes, spears, knives, etc. Same with my martial arts practice in general, whether it's a neck lock or Fairbairn Sykes takedown, if it works...

These days, my weapons are gathering dust on the wall rack. Joints are acting up too much for any real sparring, and I don't want to hurt sparring partners because I don't have full control of my blades anymore. Swords are blunted, but still full weight, and apart from a leather coat or gambeson, people aren't using armour. This isn't HEMA we're talking about.

I'm waiting for regenokine/stemcell therapy to get more readily available in Denmark, or to get enough money to pay for treatments in Germany, but until then I get little more than physical therapy done. I do take a sword down once in a while... Gives it a little twirl and going through the motions slowpace. But I do miss fighting, and the friendships sparring brings.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yrkul said:

No name. It is pieced together from manuals on medieval/rennaissance/victorian era fighting, modern asian martial arts styles, and a lot of full contact sparring. Think MMA, but with swords, axes, spears, knives, etc. Same with my martial arts practice in general, whether it's a neck lock or Fairbairn Sykes takedown, if it works...

These days, my weapons are gathering dust on the wall rack. Joints are acting up too much for any real sparring, and I don't want to hurt sparring partners because I don't have full control of my blades anymore. Swords are blunted, but still full weight, and apart from a leather coat or gambeson, people aren't using armour. This isn't HEMA we're talking about.

I'm waiting for regenokine/stemcell therapy to get more readily available in Denmark, or to get enough money to pay for treatments in Germany, but until then I get little more than physical therapy done. I do take a sword down once in a while... Gives it a little twirl and going through the motions slowpace. But I do miss fighting, and the friendships sparring brings.

Aye. I am rather fond of my Jian, but I haven't used it in some years now along with Kendo, and Fencing. This small studio I share with my partner is not open enough and the City has some rather strange regulations concerning bladed weapons over three feet in public spaces.

• Like 2

One of the reasons, why I'm interested in alternative/sustainable architecture is the possibility of getting enough space for things like training, a workshop, a small herb garden and such, without having to go into debt for the rest of my life. I also think a small, inexpensive dwelling would help a lot of our most unfortunate to get back on their feet.

The japanese are using high density styrofoam for modular dome homes, While I'm not a fan of the material, the concept itself has a lot of promise. If one could make elements in something like hempcrete or aircrete, offering easy to install dome homes would be on par with our northern european wood cabin kits.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Aye. I am rather fond of my Jian, but I haven't used it in some years now along with Kendo, and Fencing. This small studio I share with my partner is not open enough and the City has some rather strange regulations concerning bladed weapons over three feet in public spaces.

Have you considered practicing with larping weapons they kinda bypass almost all regulation around here.

16 hours ago, Yrkul said:

A weapons master ? I mean like litteral everything is a freaking weapon or do you specialize in blades ?

Personally bokken , bo and nunchucks have been really fun ^.^ 

Just now, trunks013 said:

Aye sir ^.^ 

The ayes have it.

Motion carried. Let this be an Off Topic Proclamation. We are offically skipping Monday and going to Tuesday.

Motion will take affect in seventeen hours and 14 minutes of my mark PST.

Mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trunks013 said:

A weapons master ? I mean like litteral everything is a freaking weapon or do you specialize in blades ?

Personally bokken , bo and nunchucks have been really fun ^.^ 

Heavy broadswords are my preferred, but any sword is a joy to use. Trained regularly with swords, axes, knives. I learn things easily, if I find them interesting, so I've picked up the basics of spearfighting, dane-axes, Okinawan weapons and a selection of asian bladed weapons over the years as well.

Funny thing is, it is pretty straightforward to get a bladed weapons permit in Denmark, once you have a legitimate reason to own said weapons. It is not, however, possible to legally own blunt weapons. Bokken and bos are ok. Rattan sticks are skirting the line, but clubs, maces, nun-chakus and the like are illegal to possess. Had a pair of tonfa lying around until weapons laws started adjusting to the popularity of more exotic weapon styles. Then they were turned into knife trainers and grips.

The whole "Everything is a weapon" concept is a myth, by the way. It is better to learn some solid techniques with or without weapons, than fiddle around with your belt, a flimsy chair leg or garden gnome. I can use things, that handles like weapons I know well, but I can do far more damage with one hand on someone's wrist and the other on a straight or bent elbow, than I can with my heavy walking cane.

But your ultimate weapon is still your legs. Running is healthy in more ways than one.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Heavy broadswords are my preferred, but any sword is a joy to use. Trained regularly with swords, axes, knives. I learn things easily, if I find them interesting, so I've picked up the basics of spearfighting, dane-axes, Okinawan weapons and a selection of asian bladed weapons over the years as well.

Funny thing is, it is pretty straightforward to get a bladed weapons permit in Denmark, once you have a legitimate reason to own said weapons. It is not, however, possible to legally own blunt weapons. Bokken and bos are ok. Rattan sticks are skirting the line, but clubs, maces, nun-chakus and the like are illegal to possess. Had a pair of tonfa lying around until weapons laws started adjusting to the popularity of more exotic weapon styles. Then they were turned into knife trainers and grips.

The whole "Everything is a weapon" concept is a myth, by the way. It is better to learn some solid techniques with or without weapons, than fiddle around with your belt, a flimsy chair leg or garden gnome. I can use things, that handles like weapons I know well, but I can do far more damage with one hand on someone's wrist and the other on a straight or bent elbow, than I can with my heavy walking cane.

But your ultimate weapon is still your legs. Running is healthy in more ways than one.

I was not aware of restriction on nun-chakus tho in canada balisongs are not permited ( but  easy to obtain dont ask me why )

In fact the "Everything is a weapon" is true and not a myth at all. Is it the optimal weapon ? Most of the time no ! lets be honest its way more linked like you said to the "mastery" or proficiency with the said weapon. Glad you never witness someone with that fighting style to be honest its a pain. The Use of improvised weapons is at its best when its combined with misdirection and not damage. The split second bought by throwing a rubiks cube at you is way more than enough for me to make you regret even looking at the damn thing to dodge it but thats a whole another subject. 

Legs are a really good long range weapon but as you said running is quite good. I have a really long history with running. People ask me why i like running when a lot of people do not like it. I must admit i kept the feeling of tranquillity when running from when i was a kid ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013
  • Like 1

And speaking of small dwellings, I measured up my appartment last night: 33 square meters! I've lived in smaller, but I could really use a room or two more. I've gotten a lot of books over the years, only have a fold out table, if I want to do a spot of leather work or other crafting, and I got a lot of Warhammer 40K stuff waiting for assembly. A detatchment of Land Raiders alone take up a lot of space.

4 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

And speaking of small dwellings, I measured up my appartment last night: 33 square meters! I've lived in smaller, but I could really use a room or two more. I've gotten a lot of books over the years, only have a fold out table, if I want to do a spot of leather work or other crafting, and I got a lot of Warhammer 40K stuff waiting for assembly. A detatchment of Land Raiders alone take up a lot of space.

did you just AK on us ?Accumulated Knowledge (Nemesis) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

1 minute ago, Yrkul said:

Ever tried a pub fight?

Where i'm from they are called bar

but i guess you know what its like to receive a freaking bunch of glasses of beer ( if in luck they are empty and the freaking floor does not endup freaking slippery and annoying to my speed)

Tell me after receiving a bunch of those that they are not weapons ^.^ 

5 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

Where i'm from they are called bar

but i guess you know what its like to receive a freaking bunch of glasses of beer ( if in luck they are empty and the freaking floor does not endup freaking slippery and annoying to my speed)

Tell me after receiving a bunch of those that they are not weapons ^.^ 

And this is why I normally won't bother discussing these things in non-dedicated forums. I must be really tired.

12 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

And this is why I normally won't bother discussing these things in non-dedicated forums. I must be really tired.

Oh sorry did not wanted to make you angry/uncomfortable/or anything else it was just good hearted discussion. Not my goal at all. Your point of view i totally respect that and i dont even argue ^.^  Nothing holds on that and no grudge shall be held ^.^  

We can now go back to trading cooking tips until someones brings up pineapple on pizza ^.^