Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

18 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Simulation theory is absolute drivel, its inanity only rivalled by that of eternalism and string theory.

shots-fired-ocean-army-tank-boat-qq3sm8c

Impossible, simulation is eternal. Eternalism is a simulation  

It’s all stringed together in a word known as “BS”

54 minutes ago, Aruquae said:

You ever realize we’re all living in a simulation? 

It's a crappy one at that.

Like one of those Rust knockoffs that makes things way too complex for no good reason and never patches any bugs.

2 minutes ago, Aldain said:

It's a crappy one at that.

Like one of those Rust knockoffs that makes things way too complex for no good reason and never patches any bugs.

Hopefully the Devs in our simulation finally patch all of those bugs

1 minute ago, Aruquae said:

Hopefully the Devs in our simulation finally patch all of those bugs

Fat chance, they still haven't even patched that "Dropped items bounce in erratic patterns" bug, dropped a cap to a water bottle the other day and it wound up on the other side of the room in 2 seconds.

Don't get me started on the awkward geometry that makes stubbing one's toe insanely easy.

So the local games store chain runs their birthday sales of 20% this weekend. I, ah... I think I made an oopsie. 😁 At least all my bills are paid for this month, and I don't mind eating oatmeal.

What is best in life?

To grab the boxes!

To put them on the counter!

And hear the lamentations of the wallets!

Conan+what+is+best+in+life.jpg

Helldivers 2 just released, not gonna lie it's kind of tempting because I liked Helldivers 1 despite the top-down twinstick setup (not really fond of twin stick shooters, Helldivers 1 was more an exception), "Helldivers but 3rd person" is something that does have me interested.

But I think I'll wait for a sale down the road, 40$ isn't too bad but from what I hear about the microtransactions I feel like it would be a better buy on sale.

Monitoring the reactions to the Putin "interview". Let's see if the other analysts have spotted some of the peculiarities I noted.

The usual grifters and commentariat already demonstrated, that things went right over their heads for the most part.

Humans.....

6 hours ago, Aldain said:

Real talk, Hondo Ohnaka was always a fun time whenever he showed up, in both The Clone Wars and Rebels.

Not my favorite character, but I guess you need the chaos element to build certain narrative dynamics. At least the stories weren't the fan-fic quality self insertions, we see vomited out of Disney Studios nowadays.

9 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Not my favorite character, but I guess you need the chaos element to build certain narrative dynamics. At least the stories weren't the fan-fic quality self insertions, we see vomited out of Disney Studios nowadays.

I thought he captured the other half of the "Lovable Scoundrel" archetype (leaning more into the scoundrel part than the lovable) and I'm a sucker for affably evil characters who aren't "evil" in the "I'm a psychotic lunatic who just wants to watch everything burn" sense, the guy's self serving and will do anything for a profit, but he has standards at the very least.

Not nearly enough of that type of "evil" in today's media, everything is always just black and white and most of the time at best you wind up with faux affably evil instead of genuinely so.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Not nearly enough of that type of "evil" in today's media, everything is always just black and white and most of the time at best you wind up with faux affably evil instead of genuinely so.

It is an odd tendency we see in today's media, either an evil "to be fixed", or the evil mindlessly done for evil's own sake. It is as if screenwriters of today haven't even heard of James Bonnett or Joseph Cambell. I know I'm overdoing it, but I've studied both storytelling, and the nature and expression of evil, just so I can run more interesting and compelling roleplaying scenarios, and hopefully in the future, write fiction a tad better than the drivel shovelled out these days.

Luckily I can find samplers and compilations on the net, and danish libraries still buys a wide variety of works, so I don't just buy books blind. Sure I can buy from authors I know I like, but I still want to try something new once in a while. But some of the people writing these days...

4 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

It is an odd tendency we see in today's media, either an evil "to be fixed", or the evil mindlessly done for evil's own sake. It is as if screenwriters of today haven't even heard of James Bonnett or Joseph Cambell. I know I'm overdoing it, but I've studied both storytelling, and the nature and expression of evil, just so I can run more interesting and compelling roleplaying scenarios, and hopefully in the future, write fiction a tad better than the drivel shovelled out these days.

Luckily I can find samplers and compilations on the net, and danish libraries still buys a wide variety of works, so I don't just buy books blind. Sure I can buy from authors I know I like, but I still want to try something new once in a while. But some of the people writing these days...

That's felt like a big problem to me overall over the past few years.

The lack of separation between "Antagonist" and "Villain" is painfully pronounced these days, and less understanding and delving into reasons for behaviors, instead just often being a dollar store "Freudian Excuse" that holds up to no scrutiny or worse, "I just hate everything lul" scenarios.

The fact that I've seen better written villains/antagonists in mid-tier video games from over 15 years ago now than most things put out in the last 10 years is confusing to me,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aldain said:

That's felt like a big problem to me overall over the past few years.

The lack of separation between "Antagonist" and "Villain" is painfully pronounced these days, and less understanding and delving into reasons for behaviors, instead just often being a dollar store "Freudian Excuse" that holds up to no scrutiny or worse, "I just hate everything lul" scenarios.

The fact that I've seen better written villains/antagonists in mid-tier video games from over 15 years ago now than most things put out in the last 10 years is confusing to me,

It doesn't help, that the protagonists themselves are acting like villains. It may fit in dystopian or "on the brink" settings, like Walking Dead, Last of Us or 40K, but usually these unsavoury actions are narratively jarring and are undermining the character.

The worst thing is, it seems to coincide with the zeitgeist of moral and ethical inadequecies in general. Actions are taken or advocated for, without consideration of consequences, or even if it would solve the problem at all. We thus get pursuits of causes because they feel like the right thing to do, while exacerbating the problem addressed. When we teach people to act without thinking, to accept a way of solving problems dictated by others or by concensus, we get a rather myopic way of thinking about right and wrong. I'm already seeing ideologues in common discourse accepting the "By any means necessary" axiom, and I know enough about history to know where that is going.

The market does seem to have somewhat of a self-correcting effect, though. Sales on most new media are way down, and a lot of people are going back to the classics. Anime/manga seems to dominate the comics market by now, and I'm also seeing memetics and references to Bollywood, wuxia and Hallyuwood more often.

Now we'll just have to see what impact AI will have on screenwriting, and on storytelling in general. My own assessment tells me, we'll get a lot of flavourless repetition of safe material, peppered with badly worded phrasings and non-sequiturs. Then the AI generated drivel will be fed back into the system, reinforcing the flaws and blandness. We will get nothing deep, and we will get nothing new, until someone with the talent and training sits down and writes it.

• Like 1