Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there any plan to bring back melee blocking and block-glides?

DaekTwentri

First of all, I apologize if I can't really explain my predicament well. I recently started playing again after stopping a while to finish War Within. To my surprise I notice a lot of changes to the melee combat. I found that switching for melee to range and range to melee was much more fluid now. I didn't have to swap weapons just to go from guns to melee which is a welcome change.

But I feel like there was a lot more problems that came with the new system. Manual control of blocking is now missing as well as melee aim glide and the lack of these two mechanics really stopped making the game fun for me... Having the glide automatically holster your melee and switches to your gun made it really annoying if you wanted to maintain using melee on a group of enemies after landing... The loss of manual blocking also no longer allows for blocking mid-air, so when I'm traveling from one group to another I'm just open to a barrage of fire.

The melee in the game was really REALLY satisfying and it was what made me addicted to in back then. I loved being an actual ninja and slicing my foes while soaring through the air and blocking bullets. It made me feel like the Grey Fox from MGS. In fact, during every start of the mission I've always switch to using melee only because it was that fun to use! But now with these new changes it really feels lacking and just plain annoying to use... Are there any plans on bringing back blocking and block-glides? If not, DE can you please please bring them back?

Nothing specific given yet, but they've acknowledged that they want to bring back the feeling. So, if not necessarily the blocking, most likely not forced-switch on aimglide at least. And hopefully axing auto-block which is more irritating than useful.

There's also this acknowledgement by @[DE]Bear a little while back

Greetings Tenno!

In brief, we owe you an update on Melee changes. Last Devstream had one remark about something maybe making it into Gauss’s Mainline, but this is no longer the case. You can see the clip here: as stated by Steve on Devstream #130.

We wanted to give you some insight into our process and why this decision was made.

The melee “beast” is a large one to tackle, and while we could add in some minor changes, the knock-on effects to other aspects of melee (such as Stances, blocking, Mods, Augments) may cause more issues than improvements. Frankly, we need to look at the system more holistically and make decisions based on thorough testing, and re-works of the varying components involved.

Those reworks are not going to make it into the system before our up and coming mainline update, and while we would have loved for these changes to make it sooner rather than later, we simply need more time to implement these changes to the expansive collection of melee systems in place.

What we can say with certainty is that your concerns have been heard, and they are at the forefront of our minds when we consider alterations. The changes to quick-melee, how channeling and blocking are affected all the way to how Valkyr’s power set has felt the knock-on effects of blocking changes. As we are sure you can understand, this transition will be much more complicated than the transition from Melee 1.0 to 2.0, and we want it to be the best that it can be.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope you enjoy all that the Mainline Update has to offer when it reaches you at supersonic speeds!

Highlighting that blocking is in mind.

Most likely, there's nothing much concrete yet.

3 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

It also screwed up any combo that required you to block to use the combo, making some of the better stance combos in the game unusable until they put their heads back on straight and finish the rework instead of making guitar hero in warframe.

Those combos are still completely usable, you just aim to perform them now instead of blocking.

7 hours ago, Loza03 said:

most likely not forced-switch on aimglide at least. And hopefully axing auto-block which is more irritating than useful.

Oh god please yes. That aimglide switch really really breaks the flow of melee so much.

Looking at the statement @[DE]Bear made, I really hope the works comes soon... The changes to the melee mechanics really killed my enjoyment of the game... I guess I'll check back on the game next year and hope for the best...

3 hours ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Those combos are still completely usable, you just aim to perform them now instead of blocking.

Doesn't aim-down sight cause the screen to zoom in as well as opposed to blocking? That'd get very uncomfortable quickly when you're already so close to your target.

3 hours ago, DaekTwentri said:

Oh god please yes. That aimglide switch really really breaks the flow of melee so much.

Looking at the statement @[DE]Bear made, I really hope the works comes soon... The changes to the melee mechanics really killed my enjoyment of the game... I guess I'll check back on the game next year and hope for the best...

Doesn't aim-down sight cause the screen to zoom in as well as opposed to blocking? That'd get very uncomfortable quickly when you're already so close to your target.

You only switch to aim while your not meleeing, with a bit of practice you can manage it but it's annoying.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb (XB1)TehChubbyDugan:

It also screwed up any combo that required you to block to use the combo, making some of the better stance combos in the game unusable until they put their heads back on straight and finish the rework instead of making guitar hero in warframe.

The day DE Releases something actually working and/or finishing/fixing stuff has jet to come

6 hours ago, DaekTwentri said:

I mean yeah, for like 0.02 seconds. You hit the melee button fast enough you can just about skip the ADS. Look I’m not saying it’s ideal and I would rather be able to manually block, but even months later I keep seeing people say block combos are broken and it’s simply not true.

17 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

the combo is still there, just press that old block button and smash away

7 hours ago, TheRealShade said:

You only switch to aim while your not meleeing, with a bit of practice you can manage it but it's annoying.

So if I aim-glide mid swing I'll still be able to maintain my melee mode?

5 hours ago, MediumRareLizard said:

The day DE Releases something actually working and/or finishing/fixing stuff has jet to come

I don't know man. The shawzin works pretty well.

4 hours ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Look I’m not saying it’s ideal and I would rather be able to manually block, but even months later I keep seeing people say block combos are broken and it’s simply not true.

Yeah I get you. But as a returning player who just got exposed to the new mechanics, it all feels very... Not well thought out... Getting rid manual blocking like that.

11 hours ago, DaekTwentri said:

So if I aim-glide mid swing I'll still be able to maintain my melee mode?

Nono, I was talking about block combos. The only way to aim glide with melee right now is to either have only your melee equipped so you get manual block, or to get shot at from the front while falling with your melee out.

3 minutes ago, TheRealShade said:

Nono, I was talking about block combos. The only way to aim glide with melee right now is to either have only your melee equipped so you get manual block, or to get shot at from the front while falling with your melee out.

Ah damn... So if I want manual block, I'll have to cripple myself? That'd suck....

4 hours ago, Dreadnaux said:

If only there was some way to hold down the weapon swap button to primary equip melee. Oh wait, that was removed.

Seriously I don't get why they did not at least leave that in tact. Would have made for an overall better system than what we have now.

I'm seriously missing this now... The quick changes are nice but they feel so poorly implemented...

vor 13 Stunden schrieb DaekTwentri:

I don't know man. The shawzin works pretty well.

Give it at max 2 more days and the Forum will be flooded with "Shawzin allowed me to get invincible" and "shawzin dropped 200k Kuva" or "shawzin can kill teammate". The question isnt IF its broken but how long will it take to find the bugs.

7 hours ago, MediumRareLizard said:

Give it at max 2 more days and the Forum will be flooded with "Shawzin allowed me to get invincible" and "shawzin dropped 200k Kuva" or "shawzin can kill teammate". The question isnt IF its broken but how long will it take to find the bugs.

Hahaha that'd be a funny thing to see though. At least it doesn't affect the gameplay as much as melee 2.99999 did.

5 hours ago, ZarTham said:

On the last Devstream Reb mentioned they were still looking at the melee auto block issue, they are aware that the auto block is a mess and ruins gameplay.

That's great! I hope they bring back blocking or at least allow us to set whether we want to block or switch to a gun when we right click.