Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Referral Program Misuse - Discussion

Ced23Ric

I mean some of us who have just found Warframe and are now telling friends about it can benefit from this, sure. But how about those of us who have been playing since close to CBT and already told friends about the game once it became open? I have plenty of friends who have been playing, just started playing, or tried it and didn't like it. All 3 cases being BEFORE this program started. And I don't want to ask them to make a secondary email just to play 10 missions so I can get one mod that, in all honesty, should be gotten a different way.

One thing I would like to suggest is a means to add someone as a referred friend. Obviously they would have to accept it. And you know what? Go ahead and make it so they have to play 10 missions again. But the fact of the matter is that for us that have already told friends about the game, we can't do anything with this new program. Honestly it should have been there from open beta. 

Another thing I would like to suggest is change what reward you get. From what I gathered it seems you get a blast radius mod. Why? I'd rather you keep stat changing mods and such to be obtainable through gameplay (like events) than this referral program. Instead how about a badge? Or maybe a weapon skin? Maybe a mod that takes 0 skill points but just adds a little effect on the gun (sacrificing the one slot that has Ammo Drum for example. Pure cosmetic mod)?

I'm leaning towards the badge. But I think you get my point. 

I understand you're trying to grow the game. And that's fine. But please don't leave us veteran players in the dust. Why not give players who have been playing from X to Z get's the mod? Or maybe just give clans that have at least 10 people the mod? There are ways to grow your game. But this can also lose your most loyal veteran players.

Edited by Mogar

Yes i would, yeah somethings are wrong with the game and is good complaining about them in order to DE to solve them but the community in general is making such a big issue about it. In only started using the forums recently and im really surprised that people acted like that.

I wouldn't see a reason not to have people experience this awesome game.

And also, DE always means well. They just don't always end up doing well. 

If you don't see why people are making a big issue out of it step back and think about it.

And it is hard to believe they mean well when they make the same mistakes over and over.

Exclusive mods are a terrible idea. especially when the mod sounds fun! Free slots, that's a nice incentive! Possible platinum, I like that! But requiring 15 friends that don't exist for a single mod I can never get that I really want? Why? honestly... why? slots in my opinion are enough of an incentive.

It's simply leading to bad game design, putting things as exclusives that would take ages to get. This time it's not for money, it's to reel in new players to further bloat the playerbase. What were they thinking, "oh we have a few million players let's just make them each invite 25 people for their prize. As long as we aren't charging money, the game is still considered Free-to-Play, right?"

Yeah.... this is the core of free to play.

You either pay to get it now (or refer friends) or wait and get it for free.

Dudes. Just go to one of the many F2P boards and mention this promotion and get people to share emails, or whatever it's needed, and get groups together so everyone can get these stuff. 

I dont really think getting 15 folks is that hard.

We are taking everything that is being said into consideration.

The referral program will stay how it is, but feedback for us moving forward is appreciated.

Are there different programs you wish us to implement?

What are your feelings towards exclusive mods? etc.

There are quite a few different programs. Let's talk incentives, for instance. What about encouraging people to stay together in a squad for more than a couple of missions, such as a milestone goal with a carrot on the end? This could be easely accomplished by implementing a tiered alert system, where you show what the reward is going to be but the catch is that the player must see it through the end. 

It could be made it so it would take it very long to accomplish solo, and still take a while to accomplish in a squad (say, 40 minutes to an hour.. sort of what we have with "raids").

This is an example of encouraging people who already play the game to play together, instead of trying to find more friends out there for those of us who already have all of our friends in here.

And what to say about clan activities? Tenno are a warrior caste by nature, therefore competitive. Why doesn't DE gives clans the tools to make official contests within it's dojo, like a tournament with a clan-sponsored prize? Doesn't even have to be PVP on the duel room, could be parkour as well (is that implemented yet? I seriously have no idea)

And as for exclusive gear, i don't see any problems with it as long as a few conditions are met. It must be properly advertised before it's made available; it should be obtainable by playing the game, and not by engaging on things that are not related such as referal programs; and it should not offer too big of an advantage. It should offer some advantage but be mostly about bragging rights. And i don't mean just stats, i mean anything that would be extremely desired by everyone (such as a Time Bending Warframe for instance).

PS: For the other people engaged in discussion on this forum: Would you please stop going at each other's throats? I don't think that there are many children here, and you are all quite aware that derailing a thread only has one result. So if you are mad and "engaging" someone in a "heated" discussion (and you are not a troll), then please take a break and do not doom this channel we have with DE because of petty bickering.

Dudes. Just go to one of the many F2P boards and mention this promotion and get people to share emails, or whatever it's needed, and get groups together so everyone can get these stuff. 

15 Folks is alot when you keep in mind that 90% of the community already has attempted to invite all their friends as is common human nature when you find a game you enjoy.

15 Folks is alot when you keep in mind that 90% of the community already has attempted to invite all their friends as is common human nature when you find a game you enjoy.

Plus I won't spam boards on behalf of DE. I can't even recommend the game to beginners with MK-1 Braton and the absurd grind required to get rid of it.

This is neither paid for nor earned through in-game effort. Just because it costs no money does not mean it is achievable through hard work.

It's not just getting people to try, it's getting them to clear, what, ten missions? A game unheard of to many, in a world where Call of Duty, FPSs, and League of Legends dominates.

Sorry, no one at school will be interested, nevermind adults with actual jobs at the workplace.

Warframe's own dedicated fanbase is tearing the game apart over its faults, what makes you think a fresh player that hasn't been through the ups and downs of the game will stay for good?

Edited by Psychosist

Plus I won't spam boards on behalf of DE. I can't even recommend the game to beginners with MK-1 Braton and the absurd grind required to get rid of it.

It is also frowned upon, and even sometimes punishable on most forums to spam referral links.

The problem here is that they waited this long to implement it. Had they done it back in U7/Steam release it could have worked out.

As it stands though, this is just utter bull. Excuse me.

This referral program would have been good if the game wasn't so hostile to new players. You can't get good mods until after earth, and you can't possibly beat earth without said mods, not unless you are being carried and that's not really fun.

The game doesn't explain any of the core mechanics anywhere. I didn't know I could fuse mods until my friends told me about it. And before that I didn't know how to slot abilities.

This is pretty much the same as nerfing Ember in 9.8 for the armor 2.0 system. They did the things in wrong order.

It's not that hard actually... There are a few starting guns you can just buy off the bad with credits. I can't remember what pimaries there are but there are some nice secondaries you can get pretty quickly compared to most other weapons. They can just buy the braton which is pretty good from the start for low levels, also the lex is nice.

This is neither paid for nor earned through in-game effort. Just because it costs no money does not mean it is achievable through hard work.

Do we know for a fact that these cards are only available through this?

It's not just getting people to try, it's getting them to clear, what, ten missions? A game unheard of to many, in a world where Call of Duty, FPSs, and League of Legends dominates.

Sorry, no one at school will be interested, nevermind adults with actual jobs at the workplace.

Warframe's own dedicated fanbase is tearing the game apart over its faults, what makes you think a fresh player that hasn't been through the ups and downs of the game will stay for good?

Anyone wants to try out my idea?

Going to a F2P and mentioning this promotion?

Anyone?

Well if you dont like the game then there is no discussion here, right?

It's not that hard actually... There are a few starting guns you can just buy off the bad with credits. I can't remember what pimaries there are but there are some nice secondaries you can get pretty quickly compared to most other weapons. They can just buy the braton which is pretty good from the start for low levels, also the lex is nice.

Braton which is 25k credits and Lex which is 50k credits and sicarus which is 20k. A beginner will not have enough cash for them. Unless they grind for it. And even then none of them ignore armor which means they will hit a wall when napalms show up. 

Braton which is 25k credits and Lex which is 50k credits and sicarus which is 20k. A beginner will not have enough cash for them. Unless they grind for it. And even then none of them ignore armor which means they will hit a wall when napalms show up. 

That sincerely depends on how they are playing. Most people who join this game are doing so for a co-op experience. Thus, they join an online game (90% of the time with people who shouldn't be hosting) and 4 people versus 1 mission is generally enough to suffice with MK-1 Bratons.

If someone is coming to play this game solo, then yes, absolutely. The beginning is going to be absolute hell on them. All of us remember what it was like between U6 and U7 mod change. We also had weapons and stuff to back us up.

Basically what these referral campaigns always look to me is an attempt to bribe players into creating word of mouth marketing to get whatever awaits them if they do, without considering whether or not a friend might actually be interested in the game. To me it's like an admittance that says "we don't think our game is good enough for you to recommend it on its own, so well give you some shinies if you convince your friends to play even if they don't like it."

Exploiting our devotion to the game to make us exploit our friends. I'm not gonna do that, it feels really selfish.

They couldve given you already existing, rare mods, like retribution or the new quick thinking, and I would have never batted an eye at it.

Do we know for a fact that these cards are only available through this?

Well if you dont like the game then there is no discussion here, right?

All of them can be gotten through the transmutation system (which is another load of unreliable crap - With the exception of firestorm) and the referral system.

He didn't say he didn't like the game, he said that the initial part is rather difficult for new comers.

All your posts so far have been related at an extreme tangent, please start contributing with something that's more than just an opinion but backed by actual research. It's becoming increasingly difficult trying to use logic with you when you just ignore valid points. Edited by TerataiHancur