Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we add back melee aim gliding?

Titan256

On 2019-10-06 at 1:38 AM, Reakacemrz said:

no the current is more beneficent and useful than the melee aim glide

There is nothing beneficial to this as it hinders the player in more than 1 way.

1> locks you in stupid combos that misses the targets with most stances.

2> you more often pull out whatever you have in your gear wheel if aim gliding and cast an ability simultaneously. fishing pole, mining gun, specters etc.

3> and this is most important as a melee player/overall player, you cant block while aim gliding which is huge for melee survivability.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Titan256 said:

aim glide with a melee weapon

DE was pretty self-explanatory when they changed the thing to auto-block, but let me specify here in case you didn't get it at the time...

... no melee aim glide for u!

... Or for anyone else, for that matter. Which is why everyone else besides you have complained already, but we're still stuck in this dummy melee state until Melee 3.0 comes out.

bro i u r playing with lv 1/2 than ya but at the point where u get one shoted from across the room  who cares about the combos  and for your 2nd point i havent seen it and ya there r some problem but i dont think anyone wants to click a button every time to shoot  and de said they are changing all the stances and combos

On 2019-10-06 at 1:49 AM, ranks21 said:

There is nothing beneficial to this as it hinders the player in more than 1 way.

1> locks you in stupid combos that misses the targets with most stances.

2> you more often pull out whatever you have in your gear wheel if aim gliding and cast an ability simultaneously. fishing pole, mining gun, specters etc.

3> and this is most important as a melee player/overall player, you cant block while aim gliding which is huge for melee survivability.

I miss being able to block while air gliding forward, then turn around in mid-air to see the enemy I just passed, while still blocking. The only available, on demand, ability that does something like this without energy usage is a passive: Wisp's passive. While not actually blocking, the enemies will simply 'forget' that she's there in the air, sorta, which indirectly lowers the flak coming for her.

25 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

No, waving the Melee weapon like an idiot with the two same attacks and hitting nothing but air because the Melee options that semi-automatize it were never meant to be used in 1-vs-Many. So, those that actually noticed that thing disabled those options and gained full control of it. I wouldn't be surprised if those Melee options were going to be removed as soon as Melee 3.0 goes live.

m1.0 to m2.99 is still the same and to be quite honest the stances don't differ that much in combos or move sets if you have been around for that long. melee 3.0 sounds like ps1 Battle Arena Toshinden back in the day. you can also see the lock in animation on the heavy attacks in that melee system soon to be ported over in m3.0<< im  seeing dinosaur mechanics more and more each update its nothing new or exciting just a faster rinse and repeat.

https://youtu.be/Kwx8tvO1a6M

Edited by ranks21

22 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

m1.0 to m2.99 is still the same

You mean the Quick Melee spam? nah, that never changed...

... We did get the ability to actually equip the Melee on hand without leaving both Primary and Secondary weapons in the Orbiter, and ability to block, because Melee 1.0 didn't have block... And Stances were actually made to be used through THAT method (Melee 2.0, you know, the one we had before they changed it to 2.'9')... See, I know that I've been around long enough, and I did use both systems to their fullest extent, but I don't know if you've been around that long.

Edited by Uhkretor

13 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

1.0 didn't have block

wrong we had block but it was rarely used by players because it chewed through the stamina bar much like how channeling chews through your energy. combos were made into stances so nothing really changed other than it was made to be slotted. even then it was more efficient to just use heavy attacks which changed to quick attacks in m2.0 while heavy attacks gets the channeling feature, but overall the combos were always there with block which was affected by stamina that was ultimately removed and replaced with channeling.

now we are getting back heavy attacks as the go to melee power move (devil switch, sounds exotic right) and quick attacks removed while your melee will be subpar because the flow of enemies will affect the multiplier which will be a dead feature in m3.0 if youre following whats being advocated so far.

Edited by ranks21

35 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

but I don't know if you've been around that long.

29 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

it was rarely used by players because it chewed through the stamina bar much like how channeling chews through your energy.

... You did realize that I was testing you, right...?

35 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

(...) I did use both systems to their fullest extent, (...)

... you also read this part, right?

Don't worry... you weren't the first one to trip on it...

Edited by Uhkretor

59 minutes ago, Miyabi-sama said:

What is so "forwardy" in taking away block button and "hold to equip melee"? Such a breakthrough...

They combined melee and gunplay into a fluid system. Yeah it has its problems, but it’s better to fix those problems with the current system instead of just being like “I hate all of it. Revert it or I quit 0/10”.

2 часа назад, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 сказал:

They combined melee and gunplay into a fluid system. Yeah it has its problems, but it’s better to fix those problems with the current system instead of just being like “I hate all of it. Revert it or I quit 0/10”.

There was no problems to fix. Now there are.

And I haven't said "I hate it". It is just mildly unpleasant. Just enough to be missing it. Just what OP said.

14 hours ago, Titan256 said:

I miss the functionality of being able to aim glide with a melee weapon.

Wait wait wait, when did they remove the ability to aim-glide with a melee weapon? Do you mean that the actual aim glide function is now disabled when you have only a melee equipped, or do you mean that your melee becomes your primary/secondary because aiming is how you get back from melee to primary/secondary?

If the former, that's a bug and needs to be addressed. If the latter... why? You automatically parry in the air anyway, so you get the benefit of being able to access the blocking damage reduction even when you have your primary/secondary out.

In fact, people have complained consistently that when they jump in the air to get to somewhere, their jump is ruined because the auto-block function causes them a little aim glide while it's active and makes them over-shoot their target. If this is not working for you, then it's a bug and needs to be reported.

Also... Melee 3.0 updates (at least a lot of them, if not the full amount) are coming at the end of this month with the mainline. Hold that thought until after and see what happens.

47 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

You automatically parry in the air anyway, so you get the benefit of being able to access the blocking damage reduction even when you have your primary/secondary out.

That... doesn't happen when you have a primary/secondary in hand.

10 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

not really, no. Only auto-blocks in mid air when I have Melee in-use, with both Primary and Secondary holstered.

Huh... I, and others, keep getting our jumps interrupted by this. We'll not even be aim gliding and incoming damage causes the auto-block function and makes us aim glide just because blocking counts as 'aiming' by virtue of how auto-block came about with the removal of manual block.

It's a common complaint, as I said. 

I agree, I sorely miss aim-gliding, and auto-block has proven to be a terrible idea more and more with every passing day since its implementation. The fact that the latter induces forced aim-gliding and hasn't been fixed since I think shows that a fair amount of the Melee 3.0 update has been half-done so far, and that we're long overdue for a follow-up.

However, I also feel DE is still kind of going in the wrong direction, in that it still feels like they want us to be doing different things depending on whether we're in melee or gun mode, when the entire point of the rework is to eliminate the separation altogether. Putting aside how I don't think channelling has ever really come close to fulfilling its intended fantasy, I'd rather not have it if it's going to occupy the same button as my gun's alt fire. While auto-block was likely an attempt to put block somewhere without it interfering with the new control scheme, it really needs to either be made manual again, or be removed entirely: personally, I'd like block to be attached to ADS, so that not only we'd have manual block (and so in a manner congruent to wielding a melee weapon only), we'd also be able to aim-glide via the same button regardless of which weapon we're holding. This would probably require some more changes (snipers especially would likely need one extra alt-fire press to enter scope, so that we don't limit our field of view when trying to aim-glide with a melee weapon), but could work significantly better towards providing that extra fluidity that the melee update aimed for.

Edited by Teridax68

On 2019-10-06 at 2:12 AM, Titan256 said:

I miss the functionality of being able to aim glide with a melee weapon.

You still can. Unequip primary and secondary.
On the topic however, it would be good to have this as a toggle so that those that aren't melee only by choice can choose whether to persistently autoswitch or not.