Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Halloween Event Feedback

ArcKnight9202

In my opinion, the lantern decays far too fast. I tried this mostly solo and ran into many issues regarding enemy spawns and not enough pumpkins. My fastest fail was at 44 seconds because there were no enemies at all. This is hard enough to keep full at times even excluding the fact that you are forced to change locations.

I failed challenge 3 at around the 8 minute mark solo as well as in a party. The pumpkins help a bit but if they are destroyed too far away from the lantern it seems that they do not charge it(might be wrong about that).

I like the lantern mechanic but the losses feel cheesy rather than being overwhelmed. We can't "over-fill" the lantern, either. This leads to leaving enemies alive until they need to be killed so as to not waste potential meter by being too efficient. This is exactly like that HORRIBLE bounty in the PoE. It is micromanaging and not very fun.

I'm happy for those who enjoy this but I do not. My least favorite mode in this game is Survival and I don't enjoy having to repeat it simply because there are no enemies.

Thank you very much.

Edit: Just wanted to say thank you for putting on an event in the first place. Not everything will please everyone but I appreciate the gesture.

Edit2: Upon another, later, attempt, it was easily completed. I believe this is due to the absence of the Derelict Defense tile being present. That area is especially large and likely severely hinders enemy gathering. Without this area, there was almost no problem at all. Just a thought.

Edit3: Oh, there's another mission after 3. Some endurance run. That's depressing....

Edited by ArcKnight9202
  • Like 2

I liked that it was a challenge. It was like a puzzle, my buddy and I had to figure out a good combination to do it. After several tries we failed (and I'm glad for that). Eventually I just pulled out a tanky frame with an OP Gram Prime + Riven and my partner used Trinity to keep us both alive and topped up with energy. Even with that setup, we dipped to 2% at one point and I thought we were going to lose - but we just barely pulled through. That was a welcome challenge. Thank you DE 🙂 

1 hour ago, Flying_Scorpion said:

I liked that it was a challenge. It was like a puzzle, my buddy and I had to figure out a good combination to do it. After several tries we failed (and I'm glad for that). Eventually I just pulled out a tanky frame with an OP Gram Prime + Riven and my partner used Trinity to keep us both alive and topped up with energy. Even with that setup, we dipped to 2% at one point and I thought we were going to lose - but we just barely pulled through. That was a welcome challenge. Thank you DE 🙂 

I mean, it's pretty much "just spam meta melee till everything dies", it's nothing different from survival, just more punishing due to extremely fast lantern decay/flame range reduction.

I'm going to jump back in here to say why I liked this game mode/challenge. It put me and my team mate into a situation where we failed a few times by going in gun blazing and taking the usual approach. After every failure, we were forced to think "hmm, how can we do better next time?" So we made some tweaks to our setup, we changed weapons, character, and even developed some strategy on choosing ideal locations within the level to farm kills on. We failed 2 more times (I'm talking about the final challenge for the ephemera here). It was on our 4th try that we finally figured it out - and you're right, using a powerful melee weapon and focusing on killing as fast as possible is basically the same solution that we came up with. That's why I can't argue with you on that. But what I like about it is that it forced me and my team mate to figure out a solution and to take different approaches until we figured out something that worked. Putting the player into situations where they have to figure out alternative solutions to problems is good game design in my opinion. This is what made the Ropalolyst a fun boss fight for awhile.

I'm going to compare this to nullifiers, because I don't like nullifiers and I hope DE stops trying to use them as an ingredient of difficulty. Nullifiers completely shut down abilities 100%. You cannot use abilities AT ALL on nullifiers. Every other enemy you can use abilities on, and let's be real here - using abilities is what makes Warframe fun! In this Halloween game mode where we are using the lantern, you are limited in what you can do, but you can still use anything you want to kill the enemies. You are just limited in how much range you have. So if you want to use Ember for her AOE nuke, you can! It's just going to lose effectiveness when the light radius shrinks. If you want to use guns, you can! But again...limited by the radius of the light. 

Now I'll add one more thing - solving this puzzle was fun the first time. But I'm not going back to play it again and again, because I would get bored. The solution to this puzzle was to simply use a powerful melee weapon and then the light radius becomes trivial an is no longer an obstacle. The process of solving the problem was fun, but the execution of solving the problem would become boring to me over time because there a very limited number of ways that this can be done. But it's better than nullifiers because technically speaking all options are available to attempt, but they are just reduced in their effectiveness. So if you want to go in there and use a sniper rifle..you can..you're just going to have a really hard time. I hope I did a good job of making my point. 

Edited by Flying_Scorpion

I'm giving up on this event.

It's actually driving me away from playing warframe entirely.

Spoiler

I was too bored and dead inside to edit any text in.
Behold the lovely bugs messing up in between.
Also forgot to take a different stance for my Zenistar.
Though the alternate one doesn't change a thing. Tried everything, even speed nova.
(Having Atlas here, as I was bored of being tossed all over the place a million times like a plaything.)

Allways ends up being like this. Never reaches the required 15 minute mark.
There's allways something stupid messing everything up in the end.
And I don't have the energy to spend the remaining 5 days, with nothing but this.

If DE fixes it, thank you.
If not; then I'm done with this.

I can beat my head into a wall for 5 hours straight, and it would give me more pleasure than this.
And when asking with my bloodied pulp of a head, if this was enough, I'll most likely get ordered to continue.

I don't have the age, nor patience anymore to bash myself into pixel perfect frames.
Think I'll have more luck beating Battletoads on the old nes at this rate. (which I never even played)

Yes, the light dies out way too fast.
With more than half of the infested being ancients or other slow/ranged ones at the 10+ minute mark.
Well, good luck getting all those in this narrow timespace.
Especially after a new wave converges somewhere else.

And the bugs make it all the more pleasant.
(How about dropping the lantern, to go full melee, when your staticor is supposed to reload instead. - 'It was fixed', one said months ago)

On 2019-10-27 at 6:22 AM, AegisAmaranth said:

I'm giving up on this event.

It's actually driving me away from playing warframe entirely.

Hide contents

I was too bored and dead inside to edit any text in.
Behold the lovely bugs messing up in between.
Also forgot to take a different stance for my Zenistar.
Though the alternate one doesn't change a thing. Tried everything, even speed nova.
(Having Atlas here, as I was bored of being tossed all over the place a million times like a plaything.)

Allways ends up being like this. Never reaches the required 15 minute mark.
There's allways something stupid messing everything up in the end.
And I don't have the energy to spend the remaining 5 days, with nothing but this.

If DE fixes it, thank you.
If not; then I'm done with this.

I can beat my head into a wall for 5 hours straight, and it would give me more pleasure than this.
And when asking with my bloodied pulp of a head, if this was enough, I'll most likely get ordered to continue.

I don't have the age, nor patience anymore to bash myself into pixel perfect frames.
Think I'll have more luck beating Battletoads on the old nes at this rate. (which I never even played)

Yes, the light dies out way too fast.
With more than half of the infested being ancients or other slow/ranged ones at the 10+ minute mark.
Well, good luck getting all those in this narrow timespace.
Especially after a new wave converges somewhere else.

And the bugs make it all the more pleasant.
(How about dropping the lantern, to go full melee, when your staticor is supposed to reload instead. - 'It was fixed', one said months ago)

here's a tip, dont just fly over to the next spot when theres still mobs where your at.

Retried twice.
Hoping some humanity was shown (fix?).

Public this time.
Same results.

Even when still killing the mobs left at our position.

Stuff's not going anywhere.
Feeling like being flipped the bird.

Charming :heart:

What started as fomo, now has turned into.
Knowing, you will just miss out.
Because you're gated out.

And I'm dead inside, dead tired.
Knowing that nothing will change.
Because others had that lucky breakthrough.
And for the first time, I'm in the minority here.

Thank you DE.
Love :heart::tired:

Sincerely,
A supporter.
(our money is allways delicious)

Edit:

A few more tries later.
Heavily dependant on frame composition and team.
Done, at last.

You can barely even solo it. (Singling people out, creates many depressions)
Several different teams later, and we where able to cheese it.

Yes... cheese.
With a wukong, wielding Zarr duplicate.
A saryn for quick mass dispatches.
And Mesa to get the other side.

Again: the flame dies out too fast, and radius diminishing with it is horrendous.

Heavily limiting the player in their choices.
Enforcing meta cheeses.
I've read the many comments on... 'atterrax-ers'. I will not bring myself to ever use that tactic.)

Really sad to see how things had to go.
I feel nothing for completing this.
It wasn't worth all this suffering.

Just the bitter taste, of the spiteful soul, who came up with this in the first place.

Still hollow, still dead inside.
A perfect way to thank your playerbase with that finger.

Love... :heart:

Edited by Guest
signing + edit

I two-manned it with Oberon+Trinity. I must admit, I used an overpowered gram prime riven. I know not everyone has access to that. But still, I'm glad it was a challenge. I think it's okay for there to be things in a free to play game that are too difficult for everyone to obtain. Hearthstone, for example, has a special hero portrait that you can get if you beat the lich King with every hero. Or special hero portraits you can get if you get 1,000 ranked wins with each class. That is not easy for many players. I like that, because the bar is set so high that when you actually have one of these special cosmetics it's more meaningful. If everyone easily could obtain it, then it doesn't mean as much. 

6 часов назад, Flying_Scorpion сказал:

I two-manned it with Oberon+Trinity. I must admit, I used an overpowered gram prime riven. I know not everyone has access to that. But still, I'm glad it was a challenge. I think it's okay for there to be things in a free to play game that are too difficult for everyone to obtain. Hearthstone, for example, has a special hero portrait that you can get if you beat the lich King with every hero. Or special hero portraits you can get if you get 1,000 ranked wins with each class. That is not easy for many players. I like that, because the bar is set so high that when you actually have one of these special cosmetics it's more meaningful. If everyone easily could obtain it, then it doesn't mean as much. 

Was it time gated in hearthstone ? Cause it is in warframe.

• Like 1

On 2019-10-25 at 6:21 PM, ArcKnight9202 said:

In my opinion, the lantern decays far too fast. I tried this mostly solo and ran into many issues regarding enemy spawns and not enough pumpkins. My fastest fail was at 44 seconds because there were no enemies at all. This is hard enough to keep full at times even excluding the fact that you are forced to change locations.

This issue is from the Charge Decay being affected by FPS. So higher your FPS, the faster the Charge Decay. So someone with 30 FPS would have a easier time with this Event than someone with high FPS. Same issue two of Fortuna’s Amps had before DE fixed them.

Edited by GPrime96

1 hour ago, GPrime96 said:

This issue is from the Charge Decay being affected by FPS. So higher your FPS, the faster the Charge Decay. So someone with 30 FPS would have a easier time with this Event than someone with high FPS. Same issue two of Fortuna’s Amps had before DE fixed them.

Ya, I read about something related to that in another thread. It's a cascading failure that's hard to reverse. Not impossible, but annoying. Having it tied to FPS is just insulting. Even if by accident.

Also, not really sure where the challenge in this is. You pray for a decent layout with enough spawns. Then, just bring your best melee weapons and mash E for 15 minutes. Sure, it's not the only way to do it, but it's reliable. Straddling the line between frustrating and tedious is not where I generally look for my entertainment. This isn't even counting the myriad problems with crowd control effects. It's ironically a horror show.

Edited by ArcKnight9202

i have been back in the game for about 25 minutes and im already about to alt f4 because this event seems to be punishing be for not guessing the enemy spawn locations, 7 minutes? i can barely reach 2 minutes before i see literally 0 enemies on screen and not a single pumping in my reach