Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Protea - Missed Opportunities

Gamefreak106

I dont entirely see whats so out of theme. Shes seems like shes designed around a tactical kit using gadgets that provide protection, ordinance, and supplies. I see this as a device intended as a one man retreat and regroup. 

Something goes wrong? Withdraw, try it again and plug up the hole that sunk you last time.

This is strictly talking thematic purposes. This ability will absolutely just be used to have infinite energy/sustain/ammo.

Edited by Annnoth

21 minutes ago, Eklectus said:

The Ghost themed warframe summons a giant sun-deathray. I don't think the frame's theme matters very much anymore.

Wisp isn't Ghost themed, though.

She's themed after the Wil-o'-Wisps. Fire spirits. This whole invisibility when airborne thing is 50% just to shut people up about "mimimimi she's not a stealth frame mimimi I can't frickin read mimimimi".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Wisp isn't Ghost themed, though.

She's themed after the Wil-o'-Wisps. Fire spirits. This whole invisibility when airborne thing is 50% just to shut people up about "mimimimi she's not a stealth frame mimimi I can't frickin read mimimimi".

Will-o'-the-wisps weren't believed to be fire spirits though. They were considered to be ghosts/faeries that lead people to their deaths in marshes. Nothing about summoning portals. To the sun or otherwise.

On 2020-02-15 at 3:37 PM, Annnoth said:

I dont entirely see whats so out of theme. Shes seems like shes designed around a tactical kit using gadgets that provide protection, ordinance, and supplies. I see this as a device intended as a one man retreat and regroup. 

Something goes wrong? Withdraw, try it again and plug up the hole that sunk you last time.

This is strictly talking thematic purposes. This ability will absolutely just be used to have infinite energy/sustain/ammo.

I mean sure, but this ability would arguably be more suited to a time frame. 

Sure, you could shoehorn it onto an engineer's kit and claim "Hey, it's a device that manipulates time!" but then where do we draw the line?  Could we give Protea a bomb that spawns a fire blast, burning and stripping armor from enemies?  How about a turret that freezes a wave of enemies in front of you?  Or a pneumatic pounder that shakes the ground and creates soundquakes?  If we push the thematic boundaries too far, we can spin any ability to "fit" within an engineering theme and that just makes the frame's concept much less engaging, in my opinion.

But yes, I can concede that a device that manipulates time could technically be considered in theme, depending on your opinion of themes in general.

On 2020-02-15 at 6:38 PM, SenorClipClop said:

What if we just waited to play her before writing essays of feedback?

But this post isn't really about how she plays, but rather, how her kit is themed.  Plus, this post would be pretty pointless once she's released.

On 2020-02-17 at 4:45 AM, Eklectus said:

Will-o'-the-wisps weren't believed to be fire spirits though. They were considered to be ghosts/faeries that lead people to their deaths in marshes. Nothing about summoning portals. To the sun or otherwise.

In addition to will o' wisps, Wisp's design also calls upon djinn and efreeti, who are associated with gifts, portals, fire and trickery, among other things.

Frames can have themes and aesthetics that don't boil down to a single simple concept.

Edited by SenorClipClop