Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Revised: HDR Visual Megathread

SilverBones

1 hour ago, datamage said:

After some tinkering, I got it to work.

The HDR option became available for me after setting the output to (422 / 10bit / limited) in the NV control panel.

Vyki2kx.png

Hope it helps someone.

This worked!!!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, datamage said:

The HDR option became available for me after setting the output to (422 / 10bit / limited) in the NV control panel.

Vyki2kx.png

Hope it helps someone.

Finally got it working doing this, thanks!

So, I decided to toy with the HDR, and... I think there's something up with how it registers you as eligible to run HDR. I took some advice to enable the HDR through Windows, and once I was able to get it running in game... The darks were way too dark. Colors were far too saturated. My eyes adjusted a little, but it's still noticeable that it's way too strong, especially with other HDR games that I've played such as NMS and D2. I disabled HDR and started trying to figure out why.

That's when I noticed something. For some reason, Warframe flips back to non-HDR visuals when you have it set on Windows, but not in game. When I was in another tab on the same screen and hovered my mouse over Warframe in the task bar... It showed what the game should've looked like with the HDR. So I think when having it set in both on Windows AND in game, at least for me, is double applying HDR and making it look way too off. And I have no idea what to do about it, because with my system, it's requiring both, while other games just allow it to apply to the game automatically.

This may go without saying, but on many monitors if you don't have HDR already on, you might need to enable it on your monitor's on-screen-display.

From my friend's trials, it looks like the HDR setting is applying color correction of some kind. It looked better without color correction enabled, which seems off.

Really should allow 8 bit RGB HDR. HDMI 2.0 at 3840x2160 60Hz can only do 8 bit RGB with slightly noisy picture, or 10/12 bit 4:2:2 YUV with blurry colors.  Windows 10 Edge, Chrome, and other games is happy to allow 8 bit RGB HDR, why not warframe? I have to go with 2 HDR monitors, one at 10 bit HDR, the other at 8 bit HDR, set 10 bit HDR as primary. Warframe HDR will then work in windowed and borderless mode on both HDR monitors. I really do not know why Warframe HDR option is trying to block 8 bit RGB HDR.

If you want to see my HDR 8 bit actually work to capture, here is the YouTube Video. https://youtu.be/7ybIbnzMC4Q

Other minor things:
Turn off Color correction, this can make HDR in dark areas completely black, cannot see anything in dark places.

I have brightness at 80. High brightness make it easier to see dark areas.

Contrast is too sensitive, contrast 49 makes it already too bright, 51 and above makes dark areas pitch black.

HUD and menus are dark. Maybe a HUD and Menu brightness slider might do.

HDR appears to work with anti aliasing off, but annoying to force HDR off when anti aliasing set to low or medium.

10 hours ago, datamage said:

Vyki2kx.png

Hope it helps someone.

Thank you, that was the issue for me. I was in RGB 8bit 4:4:4 & when I changed it to yCbCr422 12 bit it kicked in.

Game looks jaw dropping gorgeous in HDR 😮 

Super happy about HDR being implemented! Kudos DE!

I've not had any issues with enabling it (So far) with 12bit RGB but here are some of the overall issues I can see with it:

- Brightness needs to be set around 60-70 or dark areas become way too dark like sam686 stated.

- HDR brightness is just TOO bright, I'm using a ROG PG35VQ which is capable of 1000 nits but anything more than 400-500 being set on "Paper white" is just eye melting. Other HDR games set to 1000 nits don't exhibit the same problem.

- Adjusting contrast by a single point either direction completely destroys the image.

55 minutes ago, Weskah said:

Super happy about HDR being implemented! Kudos DE!

I've not had any issues with enabling it (So far) with 12bit RGB but here are some of the overall issues I can see with it:

- Brightness needs to be set around 60-70 or dark areas become way too dark like sam686 stated.

- HDR brightness is just TOO bright, I'm using a ROG PG35VQ which is capable of 1000 nits but anything more than 400-500 being set on "Paper white" is just eye melting. Other HDR games set to 1000 nits don't exhibit the same problem.

- Adjusting contrast by a single point either direction completely destroys the image.

Paper white shouldn't be set too high. It's not for lights and bright stuff, as it name implies, it sets how bright should paper look.

8 hours ago, cynicalking said:

Paper white shouldn't be set too high. It's not for lights and bright stuff, as it name implies, it sets how bright should paper look.

Thanks for your input,, it seemed that anything sub 300 paper white made the picture duller than SDR which is why I assumed it was the max nit value. I'll reduce paper white and see how far I can go before the HDR effect is lost

15 hours ago, Unholy-Moondog said:

Thank you, that was the issue for me. I was in RGB 8bit 4:4:4 & when I changed it to yCbCr422 12 bit it kicked in.

Game looks jaw dropping gorgeous in HDR 😮 

Same thing, though with my AMD graphics, settings-display-pixel format. Was 8bit 4:4:4, changed to 10bit 4:2:2 and HDR became available. 

I would like to suggest a screen with a slider, like what Destiny 2 has with HDR, to determine what the proper lighting should be in HDR mode. I can't tell if my brightness and contrast are set correctly for it. Other than that, I have it running, and seems to be going quite well. 🙂

First impressions HDR is looking great at 1000 nits, for the most part. Some areas of the game need tuning like the UI banner that shows when you level up a weapon or warframe while in a mission. Some of the bright areas of the game are so bright that they are loosing definition. Please allow for 8 bit HDR; there are monitors out there that allow you to drop down to 8 bit to allow the monitor to overclock and support higher refresh rates. As it stands I have to change to 10 bit in nvidia control panel while dropping my monitors refresh rate to 144fps from 200fps every time I want to play warframe with HDR enabled. I haven't had that experience while playing any other HDR games on PC. Right now as it is, for me it's not worth it to drop down to 144fps for the HDR. Even though I really like how bright and vibrant it is, I really miss that 200 fps.

I agree with previous posters regarding both 8-bit compatibility and image adjustments. In regards to image adjustments, I have no idea if what I'm tweaking in the display options will improve or degrade the image quality until I hit confirm and return to the game. If it's not right, I then have to navigate through multiple screens to make further adjustments. This cycle is cumbersome and tiring when you have to guess the image settings without a reference.

I would strongly suggest putting HDR, brightness, and contrast controls in its own submenu. A game render - either real-time or a still image - should dominate the screenspace in this submenu, and image controls (sliders) should reside on the periphery. This would allow users to make tweaks and adjustments in one stop instead of repeatedly having to go through several menus and back out while setting this up. Here's a similar implementation in another product:

Spoiler

Setttings-screen_Digital-Foundry_YT.jpg

Using a real-time render (if possible) would be great here, as there are some problematic surfaces on certain tilesets that appear "blown out" even after more finely tuning my HDR settings in the orbiter. 

Lastly, a separate setting for maximum luminance would be incredibly appreciated. I believe not being able to independently define this setting is the cause of my issue with some surfaces and areas - setting the paperwhite to where is should be results in some overly-bright surfaces; correcting for this results in the rest of the image becoming duller/dimmer than it should be.

So, i've tested the HDR setting, followed the recomendations ans enabled HDR in windows 10 and the option was not grayed out anymore. 

Once enabled the colors were crappy, too dark and over saturated, at that time i had the brightness and contrast at 65 both, when changing to Bright-30 and Cont-50 then the image was beautiful for me (please test yourself) but i found a problem, when changing from the Frame to the Tenno the colors got distorted again (white fog) and had to increase the contrast to 52 to get it fixed, but i shouldn't be fixing that everytime i swap between them. 

1000nits, Gamma ST. 2084, Color Space DCI-P3

I hope this help you guys

Another thing I've noticed is that when I use throw the Glaive, it grays the screen out a touch on the throw, and a LOT if I hit the button to explode it. It also happens with various other things, but I don't recall off the top of my head right now. I will update once more when I test more.

EDIT: Ah, yes. Melchian right above me stated it. Switching to Operator Mode sometimes fogs the screen out for me, too. Not always, though.

The main problem with HDR that is annoying me is these:
1. Menu too dark and menu brightness cannot be adjusted alone, without affecting 3D.
2. 3D Dark areas are too dark, and dark orange looks like red.
3. "Color Correction" makes dark areas black. Turn this off to reduce this problem.

I can mostly fix the darkness problem and have dark orange actually look like orange, by setting brightness to the highest 100 and paper white to a low 100, color correction off, bloom off, but this makes the menus extra dark, too dark to see hacking terminals.

My long video of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZArhQELyA

YouTube HDR live bug: Fails to go HDR and fails to down convert to SDR and looked ugly during live stream. Only after a few days the video is HDR and correctly converted to SDR. I use 10 bit x264 encoder, color primary bt2020, matrix bt2020nc, transfer smpte2084 (PQ)

For the sake of feedback, HDR seems to also be affecting the map in the Plains (where only the text is visible.) When entering a grove area on Earth, the lighting effect doesn't look right and makes the area appear washed out.

Is this where we give feedback on the new Deferred Rending? It looks amazing. I have some occasional hangups and the very rare crash (of which I submitted bug reports through the pop up), but generally speaking...it's great!

PS. I didn't think my computer was going to be able to handle it but...it's handling it quite well, which is impressive. You guys did a really good job on optimizing this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, forcing 4:2:2 eye-cancer mode every session I start Warframe can't be a solution.

I hope HDR will get a real implementation soon (not TM).

The few seconds I can see the loading screen in full range until the game disables HDR are looking good, thoug.

EDIT: I was completely wrong here originally, not sure what was going through my head. When a Condrix lands, it creates a blinding flash of light on my screen, making it go all white for a moment. It does not wash it out like with Limbo's rifts/Cataclysm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to report a problem with HDR mode, it works good ingame, but Freesync doesn't work, I've tried in windowed, windowed fullscreen, and fullscreen modes. I'm runing this test on:

amd ryzen 5 2600, amd radeon 5700 xt (oc gigabyte version), drivers 20.4.1 - also stable driver 20.2.2, monitor LG 27GL850 @144hz 1440p, Windows 10 1909 lastest updates.

If you need any information, I'll glad to provide you, greetings.

Update:

I would like to update some information abput the problem, I've noticed that games like Assasin's creed Oddysey, Mortal Kombat 11, where you can activate HDR mode in video config options; doesn't have this freesync problem (I didn't activate the HDR from windows options when i played this games, I've activated just inside the game options), and by the other hand like warframe, Hellblade Senuas sacrifice and Final Fantasy XV, doesn't have a option to toogle the HDR mode ON, it's requiered to activate HDR mode from Windows options, so I activated this HDR from windows options, but this games runs natively in Fullscreen Mode with HDR enabled, so Freesync works flawlessly, I believe is something windowed fullscreen-windows mode related the problem, hope this helps something.

Greetings.

Metalshen1.

Archived