Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stop Locking Threads We Are Discussing!

Dogspeonlegs

Players are having healthy discussions, and I see repeatly DE Rebecca/Megan(forget which one) locking threads.

Maybe we would like to continue these discussions? Is this not a forum for which is the whole purpose of a forum is to discuss?

If you want to make it known you will look into a issue then put a marker on the thread that makes readers aware that DE will review it. Stop locking stuff just because you will review it. Maybe there is more healthly feedback that will come from that thread thus preventing progession of your game.

Edited by Dogspeonlegs

Honestly, I have no clue why you would be surprised by this action.  Forums ARE part PR... don't ever forget that.

Pro Tip: ( from the guy permabaned from TONs of MMO forums)... Arguing/discussing locked threads will end up leaving said new thread locked and penalties award to said creator.

Edited by jaywalker
removed insult

Players are having healthy discussing, and I see repeatly DE Rebecca locking threads.

Maybe we would like to continue these discussions? Is this not a forum for which is the whole purpose of a forum is to discuss?

If you want to make it known you will look into a issue then put a marker on the thread that makes readers aware that DE will review it. Stop locking stuff just because you will review it. Maybe there is more healthly feedback that will come from that thread thus preventing progession of your game.

Rebecca ? I thought it was just Megan. Kinda shocked here.

Whenever Ive seen a locked thread, Ive always been able to figure out why its locked. So I really don't understand. You should probably have sent her a message asking why she was locking the threads, if you werent sure. Making a public complaint like this, sure it will get their attention eventually, but it'll also just cause more trouble.

Generally speaking there comes a time where theres just no discussion going on anymore, people are either continually repeating themselves/going in circles, end up just bickering/insulting each other or the thread dives into off topic territory because theres nothing left to discuss. Sometimes theres only so much that can be said about something before it becomes redundant.  At these points its best to just lock the thread. I'm not saying all or even any of the threads in question fall under this but its there and the other side of the coin. 

DE says they will address it. Maybe we would like to discuss how they should address it being we are the player base as the thread progess.

There's not much point to that though. DE tends to prefer to go their own way when it comes to solutions. Like, Ember's Overheat hasn't been reverted despite massive outcry, and neither was Rhino's IS.

They certainly care about what the community thinks, but this is DE's game, and it will change in ways they feel it should change. After a certain point, all the community discussion about a change turns into circular "wouldn't this be nice" wishlisting.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

How is this an insult? And Rebecca did it. She's perfect.

You pretty much said she is bad at her job. "DE_Megan is the worst.". That's not constructive criticism, thats an insult.

Instead, you COULD have said something like "it would be nice if DE_Megan would give more specific information when giving out news, and give a reason for editing my posts". Even then, I personally, would have messaged her, telling her that I would appreciate a reason, if she edited my posts and didnt explain why.

You pretty much said she is bad at her job. "DE_Megan is the worst.". That's not constructive criticism, thats an insult.

Instead, you COULD have said something like "it would be nice if DE_Megan would give more specific information when giving out news, and give a reason for editing my posts". Even then, I personally, would have messaged her, telling her that I would appreciate a reason, if she edited my posts and didnt explain why.

Okay so you mostly agree.

Edited by Lyphian

I wouldn't bother mentioning censorship or discussing it... I think the line is very blurred here and not well kept. 

Oh and I feel if someone is editing posts, for whatever reason, they should have the decency and professionalism to send a message to the poster themselves, not the other way around.

Edited by Naith

inb4 qqers get banned and come back making a thread to cry about it 

Do you think it's okay to ban people who are being critical? What if they insult no one, and say their piece in a polite yet stern manner? Would it be ok to ban them? Or even give them warnings? 

If no rules are broken there shouldn't be any locking or punishing.

There's not much point to that though. DE tends to prefer to go their own way when it comes to solutions. Like, Ember's Overheat hasn't been reverted despite massive outcry, and neither was Rhino's IS.

They certainly care about what the community thinks, but this is DE's game, and it will change in ways they feel it should change. After a certain point, all the community discussion about a change turns into circular "wouldn't this be nice" wishlisting.

The problem with this mentality, is that they are making a game for a playerbase. To make money from that playerbase, and hopefully provide a product we enjoy in return. It can be difficult to know which angry forum post to listen to - but you're only shooting yourself in the foot if you ignore them all, or worse, lock them before they can start to generate some discussion. 

There's no point to DE making 'DE's game' if no-one wants to play it but themselves. If they wanted to go down that path, they should have just run a kickstarter.

Before I laid down office as Com Mod, I kept the Com Mod FAQ up to date and wrote a "Code of Conduct" on how to moderate the forums - with accountability, responsibility and transparency. The Com Mod FAQ has been removed. I cannot see the area where I left the code anymore, but it appears to me as if it is not in application.

If any body of authority silences or staunches discussion of their subjects, there is little one can do other than accept, leave or protest. The latter is inherently forbidden, as complaints can only be filed with Support, not to be discussed publically. If leaving is not an option, one has to accept that DE Megan / DE Rebecca, in the functions as Community Manager, end discussions and lock threads, recently more often without leaving a notice on who what why. If accepting is not an option, the alternative should be clear.

I remember, when we started as Com Mods, we had a chat about that. My point was: "Cool it with the thread locks." and we did. Nowadays, I don't know anymore what the policy is. it certainly seems more ... controlling.

Ced23Ric, on 11 Oct 2013 - 1:35 PM, said:

Before I laid down office as Com Mod, I kept the Com Mod FAQ up to date and wrote a "Code of Conduct" on how to moderate the forums - with accountability, responsibility and transparency. The Com Mod FAQ has been removed. I cannot see the area where I left the code anymore, but it appears to me as if it is not in application.

If any body of authority silences or staunches discussion of their subjects, there is little one can do other than accept, leave or protest. The latter is inherently forbidden, as complaints can only be filed with Support, not to be discussed publically. If leaving is not an option, one has to accept that DE Megan / DE Rebecca, in the functions as Community Manager, end discussions and lock threads, recently more often without leaving a notice on who what why. If accepting is not an option, the alternative should be clear.

I remember, when we started as Com Mods, we had a chat about that. My point was: "Cool it with the thread locks." and we did. Nowadays, I don't know anymore what the policy is. it certainly seems more ... controlling.

My biggest beef is that with all the lying going on (or flat out misinformation, but I'm a realist) lately, whenever DE_Megan says it'll be discussed and looked into, I can't help but think it'll get maybe a short once-over or brief talking-about and then promptly forgotten/ignored.

Well, that thread was basically made because your Tsunami of Warnings that created an uproar in the community so now that you are gone it isnt really needed. And the locking thread fell into the same category, your parameters for it were pretty strange and all over the place. 

Currently there are a lot of threads that are the same subject being repeated over and over and those thread should be locked.

If the conversation is already happening somewhere else there is need for another that will repeat the same stuff.

My biggest beef is that with all the lying going on (or flat out misinformation, but I'm a realist) lately, whenever DE_Megan says it'll be discussed and looked into, I can't help but think it'll get maybe a short once-over or brief talking-about and then promptly forgotten/ignored.

What's all this lying?

A thread will get locked if we see it going in a negative direction, off topic, etc.

By no means is the thread locked and thrown away, it means that we have read all the feedback and the best decision is to lock it to preserve the topic from getting derailed.

Staying constructive is the best way to keep the thread alive, everyone knows that.

When a post by an Admin is made saying "Thanks for the feedback, we're investigating further." it means we're doing just that. That specific thread has raised points that need to be discussed internally. You should be pumped that it got locked because it means we want to contain the positive feedback before it derailed. It's very easy for a thread to get derailed and we hate to see it. 

If you have a problem with a locked thread, simply PM me.