Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

No it's not.

yes it is.

'why walk when i can copter'

'why shoot when i can copter'

'why cast abilities when i can copter'

'why even play the game when i can copter'

that's not an answer. it's a copout. it's an excuse to ignore some part of the game. keyword is excuse.

hell, why would we tweak Equipment to be useful? Damage won't kill everything anyways, so we might as well not have it.

and Status won't be useful 100% of the time, so we might as well not have it.

oh, it's more efficient to use 4-bit visuals, so we might as well not have anything more detailed.

Edited by taiiat

yes it is.

'why walk when i can copter'

'why shoot when i can copter'

'why cast abilities when i can copter'

'why even play the game when i can copter'

that's not an answer. it's a copout. it's an excuse to ignore some part of the game. keyword is excuse.

hell, why would we tweak Equipment to be useful? Damage won't kill everything anyways, so we might as well not have it.

and Status won't be useful 100% of the time, so we might as well not have it.

oh, it's more efficient to use 4-bit visuals, so we might as well not have anything more detailed.

OK, now you are being absurd. Pretty sure you know that too.

I'm not "ignoring" parts of the game. You already admitted they are not even there. We could NOT do what the OP showed in the examples because it was never THERE to being with, then he starts asking for changes to the game code to allow us to get to places. Places I can get to NOW by using the tools I ALREADY HAVE.

Really sorry this game does not let you do your favorite thing, which apparently, seems to be running on walls. That's the real issue here with you, is it not?

I have just told you "you don't have to since U15", so now you want what? DE to modify entire levels to do something we can ALL already do?

Yea, good luck with that.

I personally would like to feel more like a ninja and be able to complexely wallrun ,even if DE does not change the whole maps - then fly like a fuckin bird like now xD dont understand me wrong, i copter too, because i quite frankly have to to keep up,but its not wrong to wish for better mechanics then a simple mechanic to look it over. I think the art team would appreciate us to see what they did in the tilesets instead of ignoring it haha...but i surely sound like a derp so lets leave it at that ;)

So, I come to this thread and find a very detailed explanation of how parkour doesn't really work the way it would be awesome. Then I'm baffled because the thread was made over a year ago... then I check the last page and people are discussing how the thread is pointless because we have aerial melee, which basically murdered parkour in cold blood.

So basically we're talking about removing parkour from warframe now that we have aerial melee?

So, I come to this thread and find a very detailed explanation of how parkour doesn't really work the way it would be awesome. Then I'm baffled because the thread was made over a year ago... then I check the last page and people are discussing how the thread is pointless because we have aerial melee, which basically murdered parkour in cold blood.

So basically we're talking about removing parkour from warframe now that we have aerial melee?

i certainly hope not ._....

I think the new air melee propeling system just needs to aim a target in order to initiate the aerial strike, like this we would remain able to hit air enemies based on skill, and we would be unable to use it to fly around, like someone said before, i have been flying aroung with my galatine, dont even need elevators to reach high places

I agree on spirit with the OP, and even the people that have been yelling at me.

The fact is that DE had options on what to do. When they "accidentally" made coptering, that was a rather big fork in the road. Letting it stay basically killed "sprinting". I mean, I used to just forward flip anyway after I found flipping to be faster then running, I just switched to weapon coptering because it was less click intensive.

DE had the choice to totally make new tiles with very specific wallrunning places. They never really appeared. Then directional air melee came out, and that was basically the final nail in the coffin.

In order NOW to make "parkour" maps that can not be trivialized by aerial melee acrobatics, you have to make them so convoluted that most of the tile will have to be one giant Parkour course. I just don't see any other way, and I don't think it's likely to happen.

Personally, If coptring did not exist, aerial melee did not exist, and sprint multipliers actually meant a damn, I'd probably be happier, as the game would stop feeling like what I call "Ninja Trackmania", but now, that's like closing the proverbial door after the horse has bolted, or should I say, coptered, away.

Edited by DSpite

Well, the least thing DE can do now is to implement proper parkour alongside the new tools added such as coptering and air melee. More choices mean more variety in gameplay. It's not about "why do this? I can just copter, it's easier", what i'm trying to say is that it's a personal preference. You want to copter, air melee or parkour, it's up to you.

Maybe DE could also reward players who uses parkour instead of air-melee? Something like an extra exp gain when wallrunning, vaulting, etc

Air melee + coptering + wallrunning + wall launching + sliding + wall melee attack

ALL of these is part of the parkour, I don't get how anyone thinks coptering negates parkour, IT IS PARKOUR !!

Use all of them in conjunction, makes fro some crazy combinations, it takes practice but you can link all of it and DE knows it.

This game is not about walking.

Movement and speed are what separate Warframe from every other shooter I've played (a small category, admittedly), and they're what have kept me playing for as long as I have.  I would love to see some improvements to it all the same, even if not to the level of Overgrowth.

Seriously, though, Overgrowth has probably the best third-person movement I've ever seen.  Warframe with Overgrowth's wallrunning and animation flow?  I might need to take a cold shower.

Directional air melee seems a lot like a cop-out, granting the increased maneuvrability that should come from the existing parkour.  Coptering and flip-rolling are faster than sprinting in a straight line, so why should I sprint?  It's incredibly silly how non-organic rushing is in a game about crazy space-ninjas.  Witness the majesty of a four-frame cell of armored strikers flipping and spinning through the air, borne aloft by glitchy momentum and weapon physics that would make even Thor raise an eyebrow.

EDIT:  It's also worth noting that the fastest method of movement I've found is the carefully-timed sprint-slide-jump that results most times in a forward flip at Warp 4, catapulting me across the tile if I don't clip straight out of the map.  When I get to my destination, I'm pinned to the wall until my momentum arbitrarily runs out of time, which is annoying and nonsensical.  Fixing glitches needs to be a priority.

Edited by Gizogin

We're looking at this issue from a non-productive perspective because we're thinking of this as a conflict between mutually exclusive options applied all at once.  It's impossible for such a perspective to produce results because solutions only work within the proper context.  DE should have made a parkour course from the start because they said parkour therefore they should have delivered.  That is a historical problem with DE.  They say things but do not always deliver.  They like to try to split the baby in half and all that produces is a dead baby and angry baby enthusiasts.

DE should have produced a parkour course from the start and they should do it now.  It's not too late.  The game has a lot of variables that are mission/location dependent, or should be.  So, it is entirely possible and feasible.  Within the proper context, such as a parkour course, we can then deal with parkour seriously and make all the appropriate compromises for it to work in that context and not take coptoring or anything else away from players who enjoy it.  It adds variety and choice to the game, unlike treating the game like a blender and throwing everything in there and failing to deal with the mess.

Air melee + coptering + wallrunning + wall launching + sliding + wall melee attack

ALL of these is part of the parkour, I don't get how anyone thinks coptering negates parkour, IT IS PARKOUR !!

Air melee and coptering is not even close to "parkour". Understand that it is a way of getting to point A to point B in the most efficient way possible, using only the human body and your surroundings. Coptering and air melee is done using melee weapons, a tool to facilitate movement (in Warframe sense).

Just wanted to point that out.

Also, to say that the rest is fully parkour is not really true. There are elements of freerunning incorporated in the game too.

Edited by KuroShiranui

Air melee and coptering is not even close to "parkour". Understand that it is a way of getting to point A to point B in the most efficient way possible, using only the human body and your surroundings. Coptering and air melee is done using melee weapons, a tool to facilitate movement (in Warframe sense).

Just wanted to point that out.

Also, to say that the rest is fully parkour is not really true. There are elements of freerunning incorporated in the game too.

Well to me it is part of it, I am not comparing real life to a game here. Imagine if you did not have coptering to move around, it would be slow and boooring just making it to the objective. I have found shortcuts in almost every tile there is using wall vault + coptering or the new air melee, its all about choices, people can still take stairs if they want I prefer navigating efficiently and to me that is parkour.

This game is not about walking.

Sure

but why is it the only aspect that's being polished?

I'm pretty sure parkour isn't just flying around

wallrunning needs to be improved, walljumpung more responsive.

we can't turn left or right whiel running up a wall.

doen't this distrub you?

Sure

but why is it the only aspect that's being polished?

I'm pretty sure parkour isn't just flying around

wallrunning needs to be improved, walljumpung more responsive.

we can't turn left or right whiel running up a wall.

doen't this distrub you?

Oh sure I'm not saying parkour can't be improved, I'm just saying copter and air melee are part of it its not one or the other.

I made this:

to show what can be done already. As you can see I have no problem linking everything together and I use wallrun and wallvault a lot.

I totally agree with this idea floating around that coptering and now directional melee just threw any real and interesting parkour outta the window. I was furious when I initially saw directional melee although I decided to wait expecting some tweaks to that. But to be fair I was already horrified when I saw glimpse of it on some prime time.

Few weeks later and still nothing. I even wanted to change the title to protest against directional melee but resisted. I don't even know now... I feel this thread in the end is pointless. So is the thread for animations. Back then I totally thought something would change after a year. But my character is still pointing his weapon into the ground while bullets are flying in front of me. The biggest (and one of very few) tweaks were ability to cast abilities on the move (basically animations only affecting your upper body).

If directional melee was drastically tweaked and nerfed, then copter restricted, we can hope for something along the lines of parkour 2.0

Reconstructing or adding completely new levels would be too much as someone said.

-snip-

Personally I don't have much of an issue with the air melee, as it, for the most part, manages to fix some of the problems we've had with regular parkour.

My issue lies with DE's methods of changing the game for the better, or rather their lack of trying to do that. History has shown time and time again that DE would rather put frosting and cherries on top rather than change the cake itself to improve. Well, its only a matter of time before the taste of frosting and cherries become stale and we complain about what's wrong with the cake. And even when the cake isn't good enough by their standards, they only go as far to make it "good enough" before being released onto our plates.

It's ironic actually. My favorite part of the game is one that hasn't been improved in quite a while, and one that really can be much much better if they put some time into it. The cherries and frosting don't make the cake, they complement it.

I totally agree with this idea floating around that coptering and now directional melee just threw any real and interesting parkour outta the window. I was furious when I initially saw directional melee although I decided to wait expecting some tweaks to that. But to be fair I was already horrified when I saw glimpse of it on some prime time.

Few weeks later and still nothing. I even wanted to change the title to protest against directional melee but resisted. I don't even know now... I feel this thread in the end is pointless. So is the thread for animations. Back then I totally thought something would change after a year. But my character is still pointing his weapon into the ground while bullets are flying in front of me. The biggest (and one of very few) tweaks were ability to cast abilities on the move (basically animations only affecting your upper body).

If directional melee was drastically tweaked and nerfed, then copter restricted, we can hope for something along the lines of parkour 2.0

Reconstructing or adding completely new levels would be too much as someone said.

I took the addition of directional air melee as a single step in the direction of Moves/Parkour 2.0 . We can't deny that not being able to kill flying enemies when going sword alone was a problem!

However, if they think that giving this is enough,regardless of polishing basic moves we use everytime like wall moves or even walking(currently,no key to walk,unless you play with a controller.Yet we go into space.), then nope. Sorry D.E., it isn't enough. :/

Geoff talked about a ledge grab mechanic, I can't wait to try it! But in one year, we just got a few parkour stuff, wallruns are still done with on single angle(Overgrowth is still far beyond us about it)...

MF_PowerGrip.jpg

Right now, we need an answer from the devs to say if Parkour or other core mechanics are actually being worked on or if they just cancelled it for more shiny stuff. Really.

I keep adding questions about older stuff in need for the livestreams, and 80% of it is skipped. I keep faith though, we just got the "Proxy wars" they told us about. :)

Edited by unknow99

Right now, we need an answer from the devs to say if Parkour or other core mechanics are actually being worked on or if they just cancelled it for more shiny stuff. Really.

I keep adding questions about older stuff in need for the livestreams, and 80% of it is skipped. I keep faith though, we just got the "Proxy wars" they told us about. :)

I asked that question in the reddit a.m.a, something like why aren't they acknowledging parkour and improving it because it is awesome, the answer was yes hes working on it by Geoff and he said he was being teased by Steve about it so he has to work on it now. Edited by Tr1ples1xer

I asked that question in the reddit a.m.a, something like why aren't they acknowledging parkour and improving it because it is awesome, the answer was yes hes working on it by Geoff and he said he was being teased by Steve about it so he has to work on it now.

And you probably sure hope it is buff to copter which makes it 5 times faster, shoots you 5 times further and allows you to go vertically and also enables unlimited usage while in air with each copter bringing exponentially more speed.

And you probably sure hope it is buff to copter which makes it 5 times faster, shoots you 5 times further and allows you to go vertically and also enables unlimited usage while in air with each copter bringing exponentially more speed.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think Aure?

That's a bit harsh, don't you think Aure?

My friend, after one year of perpetual posts about it, and a thread this successful, I'd feel the same way as OP... :p

I won't get my hopes down! You can't build a solid house with rotten wood structures...

Edited by unknow99