Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fix Wisp's Motes, and other Buffs so they aren't forced down our throat. (add opt-out)

Joezone619

17 hours ago, Tehcaro said:

What about adding a third section to the Gear/Emote Menu? This section would list all the buffs given by members of the squad.

Then each can be toggled on/off by each player during the mission.

Might be best if this has a persistent memory, too. The gear wheel may be easy to access but having to re-do it across multiple missions (especially with the same squad every mission) could be a bit annoying after a while.

E.g., if you're in a squad with a Volt and you decide to opt out of his speed boost, the "opt out" stays in the gear wheel, at the end of the "squad buffs" list, until you opt back in (which can be done at any time).

Otherwise: yes, totally!

Edited by Tyreaus
  • Like 1

Pushing x to collect a 30s buff is ridiculous. If you don't want the buff ask wisp to place the haste mote separately and stay out of it. Barring that, forfeit the buffs altogether. This is a you problem.

Ideally in the settings screen there would be an opt out buff list that you could check/uncheck to exempt yourself from specific buffs. The last thing DE should do is make the 99.99% of the population have to do extra work for what they're content with now.

Edited by Skaleek
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Ideally in the settings screen there would be an opt out buff list that you could check/uncheck to exempt yourself from specific buffs. The last thing DE should do is make the 99.99% of the population have to do extra work for what they're content with now.

That would be an immense improvement in overall multiplayer experience. I tend to get a tension headache due to the constant shifting back and forth in movement speed, and anything above 1.6x is getting wonky to control, even when constant.

On 2020-06-28 at 3:21 PM, Steel_Rook said:

Regardless of what content you create, "buffs" which fundamentally alter the way our characters work will never be appreciated. Movement speed buffs, melee attack speed buffs and weapon rate of fire buffs always need an opt-out because they are intrusive. Something like bonus damage, bonus armour, bonus energy, etc. would be considered non-intrusive. Yes, there are situations where those might be problematic, but by and large they only affect our performance, not the effects of our control inputs. Bonuses like the various "speeds," however, affect what our controls do and so aren't everyone's cup of tea. Having some way to cancel out of these buffs when they're unwanted would be a positive action.

I think part of the problem with those kinds of buffs is that they typically come with some sort of downside: more fire rate means more recoil, and more movement speed means an alteration to the pace at which we negotiate terrain and obstacles. By contrast, a raw damage bonus tends to not elicit much controversy. I agree that disruptive effects ought to have an opt-out, though I think the problem with some of them is that they lack a proper opt-in: Wisp's motes are among the better buffs, as one has to step in range to benefit from them, but effects like Volt's Speed or Limbo's Rift continue to frustrate due to how they're applied to players without them having a real say in the matter.

I can see where you're coming from and I agree to a point but I don't think having to manually collect them is a good idea. I do think there should be a way to remove that buff if you don't want it tho. I think having some sort of radial menu that you could deactivate certain buffs in each mission would be a good thing but those kinds of things should always be an opt out not an interact to opt in situation. Personally as a Titania main this would be great for dealing with Volt's speed buff as if I am using razorwing blitz and get Volt's speed buff I literally traverse entire large tiles instantly and it's nearly impossible to control so opting out of getting that buff period would be excellent.

Edited by TheKazz91

On 2020-06-28 at 1:53 AM, LSG501 said:

Actually had a little time thinking on how we could get a way to 'remove buffs'.... now I admit this isn't really a complete solution as it all or nothing aproach but it's far less work code wise imo than a toggle in a menu and as such something we could get sooner rather than later.  .

The easiest option for keyboard players is obviously a keybind which when pressed cancels any buffs you might have picked up, but this is an issue for controllers because obviously they don't have as many buttons and are already struggling with space iirc.

So I thought what about a gear wheel 'toggle', we can stick it in our gear wheels and then activate it if we want to disable all buffs (say we have a volt spamming it's 2 like I mentioned earlier) and then select it again to enable buffs in that mission.  Like I say not perfect but as a quick fix I think it's a viable option to consider.

Or items that negates a specific buff, so when equipped in the gearwheel is cancels out that buff, don't think it will require that many different items. Mostly Volts speed and Wisps speed and a few others.

i Use wisp quite often and outside of certain mission types i rarely use the shock mote cause its generally not needed.

Almost all my guns i use have the -recoil mod on them so the fire rate causes little to no issue for me and the increase in movement speed is very manageable compared to super speed volt. But i understand people who dont use -recoil pexilus' plight.

health mote is almost 100% useful to everyone. it may be detrimental to people using health conversion mods or any frames that work off of less than max health like garuda but overall its nice not having to worry about stray dot damage killing you after you lose shields and such.

all in all i agree that some form of opt out system would be nice. something in options or something you put in gear wheel. id love to never be put into a rift again by Limbos dash fissures or his 1. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AnatharsWrath said:

i Use wisp quite often and outside of certain mission types i rarely use the shock mote cause its generally not needed.

Almost all my guns i use have the -recoil mod on them so the fire rate causes little to no issue for me and the increase in movement speed is very manageable compared to super speed volt. But i understand people who dont use -recoil pexilus' plight.

health mote is almost 100% useful to everyone. it may be detrimental to people using health conversion mods or any frames that work off of less than max health like garuda but overall its nice not having to worry about stray dot damage killing you after you lose shields and such.

all in all i agree that some form of opt out system would be nice. something in options or something you put in gear wheel. id love to never be put into a rift again by Limbos dash fissures or his 1. 

this is a perfect example of someone who has different opinions, but still sees the issue here. upvote for you.

Edited by Joezone619