Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loadout slots maximum is 30??

Ramxenoc

3 hours ago, Marswipp said:

As much as I would enjoy additional load outs, I realize the current limit is designed to control database overhead.

*Looks at riven mods where every riven mod has a lot of unique data values compared to loadouts and it got over 120 slot*

Surely DE can increase loadout slots.

7 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

*Looks at riven mods where every riven mod has a lot of unique data values compared to loadouts and it got over 120 slot*

Surely DE can increase loadout slots.

/DE introduces random bonuses to loadout slots and makes them tradable.  Slot limit increases too...

There are multiple reasons I've heard to explain this. The primary one is: These are supposed to be your favourites, not a replacement for the Arsenal. That explanation was literally the one given by DE multiple times when the questions popped up on DevStreams.

Another is space, apparently these take up as much space as a complete character save file on other games, and DE are actually remarkably generous in terms of storage and traffic because many other games limit you to only three or four character save files.

12 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

I mean, look at how long it took between times where they've increased that cap? It's literally months, if not years of growth, probably with more and more optimisation and more server space becoming available over time. And... on top of that, if they're using up that much space for Rivens, which earn them way more plat purchases and player time investment, why would they want to use that space for Loadouts? Logic.

And the other relevant reason is that, even though there are players that want to get more, they've found that there really aren't enough of you and your opinion is just... not important in the grand scheme of things they're working on.

En 29/7/2020 a las 2:05, Marswipp dijo:

As much as I would enjoy additional load outs, I realize the current limit is designed to control database overhead.

Why not save the loadout on the user's PC?

4 hours ago, BasKy said:

Why not save the loadout on the user's PC?

What if you're playing on a different PC sometimes? Do you not want your loadouts to be available just because you switched to your laptop?

And, as unlikely as it is, what if they actually do create cross-save? Where you can play back and forth between a console and PC? Would you have to completely rebuild every single one of those loadouts on there, and then keep both updated every time you changed one?

And, even then, what if players used a code-injector on start-up to place items in their Loadouts that they didn't have there, and the server would then have to trust them? That is literally one of the things that online games have fallen victim to in the past, and so DE would still have to store a version of your loadouts on server-side to check against and say 'well, that item wasn't in your loadout before, do you actually own it?' in order to detect cheating. In that sense, if they have to store that data anyway, it simply reduces our upload of information on signing in while keeping their records the exact same.

Online games are a nightmare for this kind of thing.

hace 12 horas, Birdframe_Prime dijo:

What if you're playing on a different PC sometimes? Do you not want your loadouts to be available just because you switched to your laptop?

And, as unlikely as it is, what if they actually do create cross-save? Where you can play back and forth between a console and PC? Would you have to completely rebuild every single one of those loadouts on there, and then keep both updated every time you changed one?

And, even then, what if players used a code-injector on start-up to place items in their Loadouts that they didn't have there, and the server would then have to trust them? That is literally one of the things that online games have fallen victim to in the past, and so DE would still have to store a version of your loadouts on server-side to check against and say 'well, that item wasn't in your loadout before, do you actually own it?' in order to detect cheating. In that sense, if they have to store that data anyway, it simply reduces our upload of information on signing in while keeping their records the exact same.

Online games are a nightmare for this kind of thing.

The game already checks if you have an item or not somehow, right?. How does the game know what mods to show me when I'm choosing mods? I guess it makes a check when I enter the mod screen. So even if I modify the loadout file, the game is still checking at some moment what items do I have. Not sure about the code injector in this case since I don't really know how it works.

If you change computer either backup the files or use the Steam Cloud. I can't come up with a solution for the cross save, but honestly, I think the option to have infinite loadouts is worth it even if you have to remake the loadouts. If the chances of cross saves are low, then it shouldn't prevent future features.

If this is even possible and they can give us client side loadouts, it doesn't hurt to leave the server side ones in case you want to change PC or use cross saves.

39 minutes ago, BasKy said:

The game already checks if you have an item or not somehow, right?. How does the game know what mods to show me when I'm choosing mods? I guess it makes a check when I enter the mod screen. So even if I modify the loadout file, the game is still checking at some moment what items do I have. Not sure about the code injector in this case since I don't really know how it works.

Well, here's the thing. That's what you could call your 'master library', right? The game checks that against the Server Database of what you have overall.

A Loadout, though, is a specific combination of those mods, in order, remembering which of the ones you've used from the 'master library'. In theory you could store it on the computer you play on, it's just not all that practical overall.

When you go into a mission, or boot up the game, there is a point where the master library on your account has to be confirmed, and if you're using a code injector, what it can do is tell the game to tell the server that your master library has been updated based on the new information, that a new item was added, and it (being a fairly dumb system) will take it like a jedi mind trick. Depending on the conditions, the strength of the code, and the respective security on the database, this can be more or less difficult, but it is possible every time your account is disconnected from and reconnected to the main servers.

Since this happens every time you go into a game, for example, usually when somebody else is the host, this is far more easy to do because the database is looking to be updated.

(Fun fact, this is why there's a slew of players getting Trade Banned, because DE's security against that also features checks for things like your activity in game relative to your rewards earned. And many of the players listing Trade bans say they got them for farming runs to get Steel Essence. The current rules that DE have basically spit-balled are that anyone that's doing nothing tangible in a mission should not be able to get around 100 Essence in one run, right? But people have. And in teams there is always somebody that is the support, like a Nekros, that doesn't need to contribute to kills, rarely needs to move, just has to be there for loot generation really. And those are often the players that get Trade Bans because they did 'nothing' all game and yet got this silly amount of resource they weren't supposed to be able to get.)

There's checks against code injection to modify game memory for when you reconnect to the server.

One of the known things that could be done, for example, is going into a mission with a set of mods equipped to your weapon, and modifying the game to say they're all at max rank, or that the ones equipped are not the ones you went in with, and if there's not enough checks against this on the Server end you could simply now own those mods at max rank, or own the new mods, without having earned them.

So. What would one of those checks be, in the case of, say, modifying your Loadout to include something you don't have?

It would be to keep a copy of your Loadout on the Server to check against, right? To compare what you left with to what you came back with?

And if they're doing that as a check... what's the actual point of trying to store them on the User side as well? It would just increase the amount of stored data on your end, but wouldn't decrease the amount stored on the server. They would still need a copy of that information.

So.

tl;dr

Your task, your original question that I was referring to, is to solve DE's limited server space by storing the load outs client side.

And I think you forgot that the moment you said this:

1 hour ago, BasKy said:

it doesn't hurt to leave the server side ones in case you want to change PC or use cross saves.

Because it does hurt, that's what you were trying to fix.

hace 6 horas, Birdframe_Prime dijo:

So. What would one of those checks be, in the case of, say, modifying your Loadout to include something you don't have?

It would be to keep a copy of your Loadout on the Server to check against, right? To compare what you left with to what you came back with?

And if they're doing that as a check... what's the actual point of trying to store them on the User side as well? It would just increase the amount of stored data on your end, but wouldn't decrease the amount stored on the server. They would still need a copy of that information.

I understand this, it was never an option to save the loadouts on my side if the server is gonna check with an exact copy of it.
I guessed there was some explanation to why this had not been done already since it's a pretty simple concept, I'm just not familiar with how easy it is to fool the server. So thanks for the explanation. I thought well placed server checks were enough.

hace 7 horas, Birdframe_Prime dijo:

Your task, your original question that I was referring to, is to solve DE's limited server space by storing the load outs client side.

And I think you forgot that the moment you said this:

hace 8 horas, BasKy dijo:

it doesn't hurt to leave the server side ones in case you want to change PC or use cross saves.

Because it does hurt, that's what you were trying to fix.

DE already stores many loadouts per player, keep these in the server, but save the rest in the users PC. That's how I wanted to solve the PC switch / cross save problem. I didn't want to free DE's server space, I wanted infinite loadouts.

If it's really so much trouble I don't think it's worth the hassle. I don't remember how many I have at MR22, I have them all configured with different frames but I probably use 3 of them 90% of the time.

I understand that adding extra loadout slots would generate a lot of data, which has to be stored on the server (like Weapon and Frame combinations + Mod combinations). However DE added, a while back, multiple fashion channels which also generate data.   

Archived