Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is due for recontextualization [New War SPOILERS]

PopGligor

I've been thinking, now that the Lotus is gone, there's really no need to do any of the missions on the starchart, except for our own murderous bloodthirst. So much of the missions simply don't make sense anymore in the established Warframe universe and lore.

"Distract the enemy while a lone Tenno Operative..."
This line is a remnant from Warframe's inception, when that woman wasn't The Lotus. The Lotus was an organization back then. This is why she speaks about in a "we, the Lotus" kind of way. The Lotus, as an organization, has people who have been captured and need rescue, interrogate targets, has operatives. But none of that is true. And none of that makes sense now that the Lotus is gone. When the Lotus leaves you, Ordis restores her lines from recordings. But so much of her lines are reacting to what you're doing. Like on PoE, she will take the intel you send her and give you your next objective, and it doesn't make sense... because she's not there.

Everything that came out after The Lotus left is infinitely better because it uses Warframe's new lore, new universe... and acknowledges the Lotus isn't there anymore.

But I think the entirety of Warframe needs that. Not just for players who were abandoned by our mother, but new players too. The missions don't make sense, they're confusing, mainly because Warframe didn't know what it was when the lines were written. Nobody knows what the operatives are. You'll say the tenno... but the tenno...

Spoiler

are sleeping

They aren't operatives. We aren't operatives. 

Warframe has gone a long way, both in terms of new content, and giving old content fresh paint. And I think the content that needs touching now... are the game modes. I think they could use some freshening up, especially in the lore and mission text aspect. Also in terms of gameplay. Defense is fine, so is rescue, but I think everything else needs to be changed up. Survival is "wait 5 minutes for a reward" and in the lore it doesn't make any sense. 

It isn't confusing in the least, revoicing all the lines would cost a non insubstantial amount of money all to have someone else say the exact same (or darn close to them) lines as the Lotus. 

As for the survival angle at least they finally changed the one place that didn't make sense, earth and moved the tile to an underwater (cough Uranus cough) research base for which the life support could be realistically cut off. 

I always thought that the "Tenno" nowadays are just a faction that worships the actual Zariman Tenno, they just took the name, and Tenno operatives are those guys in blue suits that you see in relays \ save in rescue missions.
Even codex suggests that (as in there's a faction filter called "Tenno" i believe), it's not confusing on it's own. But hearing about Lotus faction certaintly makes it so, and as such it's better to never mention it 😄

Current Warframe definitely feels like a sequel to that lone mysterious bio-mechanical ninja mercenary working for a secret organization Warframe. 

It's not practical for them to go that far back. 

It would be nice for them to tie up today loose ends tough. We never really got an answer to what we were doing back then. 

3 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

It's not practical for them to go that far back. 

But it's not going back. These missions are being done right now. It's not old content that needs to be revisited. It's the main content in fact. I wouldn't be surprised if what I'm asking happened in The New War. DE has said it's a giant update, not just a quest. 

1 hour ago, Oreades said:

It isn't confusing in the least, revoicing all the lines would cost a non insubstantial amount of money all to have someone else say the exact same (or darn close to them) lines as the Lotus. 

VA is expensive, but it's not all that many lines, and it's Reb who has to redo them. For Survival, it could just be about wrecking a ship or a base, and the enemy trying to choke us out. We still get a reward over time, the reward itself doesn't need to be contextualized, as it's not contextualized in all other modes. For rescue, we shouldn't be rescuing tenno, or operatives, but people from Cetus, or Fortuna, or the peaceful grineer faction, I forgot their name.

My main point though, is that playing the game doesn't really make sense if the Lotus isn't there. It makes sense when there's new content, and of course the invasions. But beyond that... we are the bad guys. We are slaughtering for fun. Not to protect a balance, but because we found new toys that can kill hundreds in minutes. That's not good.

Also, when you rescue a prisoner, the Lotus says "we must get them back to Command in one piece"

... but Command doesn't exist. This is a remnant from The Lotus being an organization, with operatives around the solar system, a central command... but none of that is the game's lore.

On 2020-08-25 at 3:10 PM, PopGligor said:

VA is expensive, but it's not all that many lines, and it's Reb who has to redo them. For Survival, it could just be about wrecking a ship or a base, and the enemy trying to choke us out. We still get a reward over time, the reward itself doesn't need to be contextualized, as it's not contextualized in all other modes. For rescue, we shouldn't be rescuing tenno, or operatives, but people from Cetus, or Fortuna, or the peaceful grineer faction, I forgot their name.

This would make more sense, but I think Ordis should just replace the Lotus for now, since he's already our AI assistant/ship manager. And if I recall, it's one of their weapon designers who voices Ordis, so it might not be like having to hire some professional VA(s). 

Archived