Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heart of deimos performance issue, fps drop

TheKurtiStryke

1 hour ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Hi everyone, we're currently looking into this issue.

In the meantime, can you please let us know if you are using deferred rendering? (this can be toggled in the Warframe launcher settings)

If you are, do you notice a significant improvement if you disable deferred rendering?

Turned off the setting.
There are a random drops (I guess it happens when the map is loading stuff), but performance seems to be mostly back to normal.

I never had performance issues in Warframe. But in the new HoD open world I went from 140fps+ (Orb Vallis) to around 50 fps that drops down to 10-20 fps in some areas.
Deferred rendering is off. GTX 1060 6GB,  i7 4770k.
I wonder what is so demanding on this small map. It's really frustrating.

Just adding a confirmation that I've turned off deferred rendering and it already feels smoother and far more responsive.
I can't tell you how much fps more I'm getting (don't have that turned on) but based on the lack of floatiness to the control, it feels like moving in any of the three open worlds now.

970 nvidia card here.

Thanks for looking into the Linkski and thanks for the suggestion. it's eminently more playable as a result of it.

1 hour ago, [DE]Linkski said:

In the meantime, can you please let us know if you are using deferred rendering? (this can be toggled in the Warframe launcher settings)

Setting has been set to off and fps still drops. No fix. Even loading warframe (after hitting play on launcher) takes 2min compared to less than 30sec before update.

4 hours ago, PopGligor said:

On a GTX 1050Ti performance is perfect for me. Try disabling vsync from Warframe and enabling "fast vsync" through the nvidia driver. Warframe's vsync is pretty bad

Tried this and still did not see improvement in performance.

3 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

If you are, do you notice a significant improvement if you disable deferred rendering?

Yes, deferred rendering OFF fixes performance greatly. Which it obviously would since the performance load is greatly reduced due to a lack of real-time world shadows and whatnot. The issue is that Deimos open-world is severely more performance-intensive compared to every other open-world node in Warframe, without contest.

It doesn't make sense to make one area so significantly more demanding than previous areas, even for deferred rendering which is meant to improve visuals and increase GPU usage, obviously.

It would be nice if the performance requirement was brought down to be in line with the other open-world nodes (Plains of Eidolon, and Orb Vallis).

Even with deferred rendering OFF, looking at GPU usage, it' still the most demanding map by far having ~50% GPU usage on a GTX1060 6GB (with 60% usage at some areas in Undulatum). With deferred rendering OFF in Plains of Eidolon, max usage is around ~40% out of combat while flying around low to the ground, while Orb Vallis is around the same ~40% GPU usage when flying around.

Heavy combat with deferred rendering ON in Orb Vallis and Plains of Eidolon has never resulted in sub-60FPS. While with Deimos, it's a constant occurrence.

Hopefully the performance requirement of Deimos, with deferred rendering ON, is brought down to be in line with the other open-world nodes.

EDIT: All GPU usage percentages were taken with a GPU Core Clock at 1886MHz, so they are consistent and comparable.

There's also an area leading down to the heart in Deimos. It's the entrance to some Orokin-looking area. The performance is absolutely horrible at that entrance while looking at the room. With deferred rendering ON, GPU usage sits at 99% with sub-60FPS with nothing going on, no enemies. No clue why since it doesn't look special in terms of graphics fidelity in any way.

My Deferred Rendering setting has been off the entire time, and yet I still have massive trouble on HoD.  Anywhere else, I run around 60 fps (7-year old hardware, sorry to say), but out in the fields of Deimos it varies from there down to single digits.  Again, I'm on older hardware so my information may not be relevant, but anywhere else in the game I get 60 fps rather consistently.

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Vorastra:

Yes, deferred rendering OFF fixes performance greatly. Which it obviously would since the performance load is greatly reduced due to a lack of real-time world shadows and whatnot. The issue is that Deimos open-world is severely more performance-intensive compared to every other open-world node in Warframe, without contest.

It doesn't make sense to make one area so significantly more demanding than previous areas, even for deferred rendering which is meant to improve visuals and increase GPU usage, obviously.

It would be nice if the performance requirement was brought down to be in line with the other open-world nodes (Plains of Eidolon, and Orb Vallis).

Even with deferred rendering OFF, looking at GPU usage, it' still the most demanding map by far having ~50% GPU usage on a GTX1060 6GB (with 60% usage at some areas in Undulatum). With deferred rendering OFF in Plains of Eidolon, max usage is around ~40% out of combat while flying around low to the ground, while Orb Vallis is around the same ~40% GPU usage when flying around.

Heavy combat with deferred rendering ON in Orb Vallis and Plains of Eidolon has never resulted in sub-60FPS. While with Deimos, it's a constant occurrence.

Hopefully the performance requirement of Deimos, with deferred rendering ON, is brought down to be in line with the other open-world nodes.

EDIT: All GPU usage percentages were taken with a GPU Core Clock at 1886MHz, so they are consistent and comparable.

I can confirm that. HoD is around 25-30% more demanding than Orb Vallis. Even with deferred rendering turned off.
The new open world needs an 
optimization pass asap.

I have deferred rendering off and v-sync on at 60 fps but I am still getting fps drops while I am on the surface. GTX 1650 i7 9750H

I've been using it ever since it was implemented.

I didn't try turning it off however, since it isn't "unplayable" for me. It is just that my overall fps is lower compared to Plains and Fortuna and I get occasional stutter and fps dips to 60-70 which usually doesn't happen in anywhere else in the game.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb [DE]Linkski:

Turning off deferred rendering solved the fps issues completely for me as far as I could see ... but now I am missing the fancy shadows and lighting. 😥 Hope you guys manage to squeeze out some fps on Deimos with the new renderer. Or at least make it more consistent across the board. Would love to keep it on since only Deimos seems to have issues with it.

Having FPS dropping to ~15fps too at some points. Usually use 60fps v-sync on my old monitor. Rarely drops any frames.

In another post someone mentioned that Anistropic Filtering fixed some issues. (Similar issue as when Orb Vallis launched?)

Either the driver side or in game option not sure yet, time to go test run things.

This 15fps is killing me

--Edit1: Can confirm turning off Anistropic Filtering in game options eliminates the drop to 15fps for me

My deferred rendering was off and is off. Seems like there are two unrelated issues:

1) VRAM hogging (which affects cards with limited VRAM like GTX 970 badly and can only be fixed by reducing memory budget)

2) Deferred rendering not playing nice with the map (which affects even beefier new cards)

Either way, I'm really curious how this was not caught in testing...

Can confirm as well that turning off Antisotropic Filtering has fixed the issue.

Normally I would have around 150FPS in open maps, but after loading HoD in about 30sec the FPs would drop to 40 and would be very stuttery.

PC specs: I5 - 16GB RAM - NVidea GTX1060 3GB

deferred rendering turned off

GTX 970 here, was having drops to 30 in most areas of deimos despite not hitting 3.5gb of vram, disabled the new engine and I'm back to usual 60 still not hitting 3.5gb of vram. As mentioned here already, there's probably 2 different issues at hand, the 3.5gb wall which some are hitting(don't really know why I'm not anymore, yesterday I was) and also the new renderer being finicky with the new map.

Changing anisotropic filtering did nothing for me.

On 2020-08-26 at 4:19 PM, torsoreaper said:

Turning off deferred rendering seems to fix it for me.  Thank You!

Mine is already off, but my fps wont go pass 20 in most missions or in open areas, my specs are i7 2.8, 16gb ram and gtx1050 and even with graph settings on bare minimum the fps is still bellow 25 usually 15 making game nigh unplayable.

13 hours ago, KorgaTM said:

Can confirm as well that turning off Antisotropic Filtering has fixed the issue.

Normally I would have around 150FPS in open maps, but after loading HoD in about 30sec the FPs would drop to 40 and would be very stuttery.

PC specs: I5 - 16GB RAM - NVidea GTX1060 3GB

deferred rendering turned off

I wonder if AF being turned off reduced your VRAM usage enough and thus alleviated some issues for you.

I have a GTX1060 6GB, and currently in Deimos, it uses 3.35GB of VRAM. Considering you have the 3GB VRAM version, lowering the VRAM load may have helped?

However, I'm not familiar with VRAM loads on the other open-world nodes, if they are comparable in usage.

For those forcing AF through their drivers (like i do, coz not entirely sure whats up with the built-in version) it seems that the results are stored in memory for every texture that gets sampled.

In the plains, just doing a quick run around the map, you end up ~4.8-5GB. Could end up higher, wasn't looking to be exhaustive.

This is the same with Fortuna, and is the same again with Deimos. 

Doing the final bounty, i generally end up ~5.5GB for VRAM usage:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-22a5jxx.jpg

This doesn't seem to be an issue if you use the built-in AF solution (at least in my case), and the usage seems more modest.

If you run out of VRAM, the games perf. goes off a cliff (for some reason) - or at least it did when i still ran a 970 and the plains came out.

Hi everyone, just a follow-up: We made some improvements to the cost of using Deferred rendering in Cambion Drift, which is now live. We've also made some improvements to Anisotropic Filtering in Cambion Drift, which should put less stress on your GPUs, but keep in mind, you'll only want to use 8x if your hardware can handle it.

We're still working on tracking down more optimizations, so any additional information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived