Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Losing Connection to Squads Every Single Game

EndoGengar

The linked topic seems to be about slightly different issue. OP here was talking about losing connection outside of missions specifically, while in-mission everything works perfectly (at least for me).

On 2023-05-21 at 1:11 AM, Naroxas44 said:

there's not really any net code magic DE can employ to make someone's internet work better

I cannot disagree with it, but cannot agree too. It seems like they handle connection differently in mission and out of it, so there's a way for game to connect even when players have some issues. But I won't say that they should just copy that solution. I'm sure that'd be extremely difficult or even impossible :))

I tried researching into MTU too, however I couldn't really find what can fix these. It might be a coincidence but it also might be related to the issue. However I didn't contact ISP yet, I'm going to do that only after I eliminate problems with my hardware/software.

UPD: I remembered that it's most certainly not ISP issue, because I disconnect even when connected via local network (192.168.1.* in logs instead of public ip).

Edited by Nakti

13 hours ago, Nakti said:

It seems like they handle connection differently in mission and out of it, so there's a way for game to connect even when players have some issues

All account data / content from DE is distributed by either their CDNs or own servers, but all in-mission connections (squads, basically) to other players are solely through P2P (peer to peer, where people connect directly to one another) via a host / client situation.

I mentioned dedicated servers, which would sort of "copy that solution" that their account data uses, but those are ridiculously expensive at scale and have their own issues. I think what they have now for squads is fine, but it just needs to degrade better when people disconnect. Anecdotally, I had my internet cut for 5s or so yesterday and was surprised to see that it waited 15s or so and then put me in my own session, so I didn't lose circuit progress. Things like that (or letting the user reconnect with existing progress kept) help a lot and I'm glad they're implemented, because users can't really help when their internet provider decides to have issues (and some only have a choice of one or two providers in certain rural areas).

14 hours ago, Nakti said:

I remembered that it's most certainly not ISP issue, because I disconnect even when connected via local network

That doesn't make it not an ISP issue, your local equipment can still work just fine even if it's ISP related (i.e. network junction failing intermittently). Local network equipment should always connect instantly, regardless of whether or not it's actually forwarding internet traffic, if it's still operating. If it has its own issues with latency then it might indicate that it's the issue (as in, a router that isn't responding to any requests for 2s or is overloaded in terms of what it can process / handle).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing this issue primarily with the open worlds and Zariman. When loading in I will connect to a squad and I'm dropped. If I host, people will connect to my lobby only for them to get dropped. It's getting frustrating.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I too am having disconnect issues. My wife and I play together all the time. The issue is that any time we're NOT in mission, she gets kicked from the squad. It happens literally every time before a mission, and after a mission, but never IN the mission itself.

We're on the same internet (500mbps download 100mbps upload), and we're both running extremely strong computers. It happened both when I personally lived overseas and she was in the US, as well as when we're both living under the same roof, connected to the same internet.

We've tried changing ping to not have any limit (Not that it should ever be an issue when we're on the same internet anyway). We've tried limiting ping.

We've tried turning Cross-Play on. We've tried turning Cross play off. 

We've port-forwarded the game and double-checked that everything is checked and shown in the settings. 

We've tried switching to Direct-X 12.

We've tried verifying the game-files, as well as optimizing the game files MULTIPLE times with no issues.

We've tried restarting our PCs.

We've tried resetting our Router.

We've tried wired connections as well as wireless connection.

We've tried doing full re-installs for both of our computers.

We can play literally any other game with 0 lag or drop issues. 

At this point we have tried literally everything, and it's still an issue. This is an issue that's purely on DE's end and we don't know what's going on, and it NEEDS to be fixed because at this point it's been an issue for people for multiple years now.

Edited by Lockheed
  • Like 1

@Lockheed In your case, it might be best to look at your EE logs (either generated from launcher settings or in '%LOCALAPPDATA%/Warframe' directory) and see if they have any info on why it might be disconnecting from squads; they're formed via P2P (with DE's servers only supplying the IPs for hosts and clients to then do their own handshake and connections) so there may be something configured weirdly on either system or the network equipment.

You could also try using a lightweight VPN like Cloudflare WARP or changing which ports are used in-game (default are 4950 & 4955 I believe) for one system too, I know sometimes those both help with routing issues when the connection is from the same public IP. I don't think it's an issue with DE's servers solely because it's correctly supplying the IPs between clients, but the game itself may not be handling the connection correctly (in this case, keeping it alive outside of missions) or network equipment may suddenly close port forwarding.

If you're able, you could also try to test things and use a different connection (mainly not whatever the current US one you're using is) and see if it fares any better; if so, it's probably some network configuration issue that's dropping the connection, which would explain why it was happening even when you were overseas since it would've still gone through that same US equipment to pair host & client.

Hopefully some of that helps, I know troubleshooting this kind of stuff is a bit of a pain.

2 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

@Lockheed In your case, it might be best to look at your EE logs (either generated from launcher settings or in '%LOCALAPPDATA%/Warframe' directory) and see if they have any info on why it might be disconnecting from squads; they're formed via P2P (with DE's servers only supplying the IPs for hosts and clients to then do their own handshake and connections) so there may be something configured weirdly on either system or the network equipment.

You could also try using a lightweight VPN like Cloudflare WARP or changing which ports are used in-game (default are 4950 & 4955 I believe) for one system too, I know sometimes those both help with routing issues when the connection is from the same public IP. I don't think it's an issue with DE's servers solely because it's correctly supplying the IPs between clients, but the game itself may not be handling the connection correctly (in this case, keeping it alive outside of missions) or network equipment may suddenly close port forwarding.

If you're able, you could also try to test things and use a different connection (mainly not whatever the current US one you're using is) and see if it fares any better; if so, it's probably some network configuration issue that's dropping the connection, which would explain why it was happening even when you were overseas since it would've still gone through that same US equipment to pair host & client.

Hopefully some of that helps, I know troubleshooting this kind of stuff is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the response!

Firstly, what are EE logs?

Secondly, what exactly would I be looking for in regards to these logs you're mentioning?

I'm currently generating some logs using the launcher; would those same logs suffice or do I need to do something different?

We'd prefer not having to use a VPN if we can help it, but we'll look at it for a last resort.

We're also looking into utilizing static IP addresses on our PCs, figuring that might be a potential cause if the P2P connection pre/post mission is struggling. At this point we're willing to try just about everything.

Edit: So Static IPs didn't seem to help; we've also tried looking into the Firewalls on our PCs being a potential issue, but no luck there, we've tried running both Steam and Warframe in admin mode.

We've modified the port forwarding on our router so that each of us is running individual ports for warframe and set the settings to match in game to the new ports forwarded, rebooting the router after we did so. This hasn't helped at all, merely delaying when the disconnect happens to be around a minute after joining, rather than about 10-30 seconds after joining the squad.

As a reminder, the disconnects only happen before or after missions, never during them.

We're really not sure what else to do.

Edited by Lockheed
Adding additional information

7 hours ago, Lockheed said:

I too am having disconnect issues. My wife and I play together all the time. The issue is that any time we're NOT in mission, she gets kicked from the squad. It happens literally every time before a mission, and after a mission, but never IN the mission itself.

We're on the same internet (500mbps download 100mbps upload), and we're both running extremely strong computers. It happened both when I personally lived overseas and she was in the US, as well as when we're both living under the same roof, connected to the same internet.

Try test if you have this problem with other players as well or just with your wife. That able to narrow down whose computer and network maybe need looking into.

Try look for something that will close up network ports or stop acknowledging connections after a certain time, maybe a 3rd party security/firewall programs and setup you may deployed with your OS.

If nothing work, try with a fresh new OS install on a spare formatted drive and with only latest drivers for networking and graphic and see if that fix it, since I'm certain this is OS related issue.

That's all I could suggest. Hope someone might able to assist better.

Edited by Auxeus

9 hours ago, Lockheed said:

Firstly, what are EE logs?

Secondly, what exactly would I be looking for in regards to these logs you're mentioning?

So Warframe uses their own in-house engine, called the Evolution Engine; it has its own logs that it produces for technical purposes (usually to assist with support or for dev purposes). The logs you generated from the launcher should have one called EE (short for evolution engine in this case) that track things over the play session. They should have some info about host and client connects / disconnects as they occur, as well as a lot of other info (like nominal network connection, which can be tested from in-game settings with the "analyze network" button too). I'm not 100% sure what specifically you'd look for, since I don't know exactly what it does or doesn't log in its entirety, but anything around the connect / disconnect period should give an idea of what is occurring immediately before and after, and may indicate why it's happening too. I'm seeing one of the posts on the first page of this thread has an example of this.

9 hours ago, Lockheed said:

We'd prefer not having to use a VPN if we can help it, but we'll look at it for a last resort.

The reason I mentioned it (and specifically a lightweight free one) is just for testing purposes, as it would be nice to try a different connection or route that may resolve the issue. If your router and/or modem (if you have one / are using cable internet services) is the thing causing the issue then testing the connection without it would be ideal to confirm that. I'm not entirely sure why it would be closing a port or connection after like, 30s or a minute and not doing it while in game, but it's possible that it doesn't disconnect during missions since the in-game traffic is constant, while not in missions it may just sparingly ping the people in the squad to see if they're still present (as like a "hey, you there" message, that it's seemingly failing to either send or receive, causing disconnects).

5 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

The reason I mentioned it (and specifically a lightweight free one) is just for testing purposes, as it would be nice to try a different connection or route that may resolve the issue. If your router and/or modem (if you have one / are using cable internet services) is the thing causing the issue then testing the connection without it would be ideal to confirm that. I'm not entirely sure why it would be closing a port or connection after like, 30s or a minute and not doing it while in game, but it's possible that it doesn't disconnect during missions since the in-game traffic is constant, while not in missions it may just sparingly ping the people in the squad to see if they're still present (as like a "hey, you there" message, that it's seemingly failing to either send or receive, causing disconnects).

The confusing thing to me about this is that it's occurred both when I was in Australia, and when my partner was staying with her father temporarily, and now it's occurring on our own internet. It's been occurring through 3 different providers, which would theoretically indicate that it's not an issue with the router or modem, right? Because what are the chances that this would be happening across 3 different routers, and 3 different IPs?

5 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

So Warframe uses their own in-house engine, called the Evolution Engine; it has its own logs that it produces for technical purposes (usually to assist with support or for dev purposes). The logs you generated from the launcher should have one called EE (short for evolution engine in this case) that track things over the play session. They should have some info about host and client connects / disconnects as they occur, as well as a lot of other info (like nominal network connection, which can be tested from in-game settings with the "analyze network" button too). I'm not 100% sure what specifically you'd look for, since I don't know exactly what it does or doesn't log in its entirety, but anything around the connect / disconnect period should give an idea of what is occurring immediately before and after, and may indicate why it's happening too. I'm seeing one of the posts on the first page of this thread has an example of this.

I'll keep looking into the EE logs. I haven't seen anything overtly obvious. The "analyze network" button just said that everything was normal.

9 hours ago, Auxeus said:

Try test if you have this problem with other players as well or just with your wife. That able to narrow down whose computer and network maybe need looking into.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to happen to me, even though I'm now on the same network that my wife is (previously I was in australia, and she was on a different network entirely). We had a friend who we tried to connect to, and I was able to stay connected, but she wasn't.

9 hours ago, Auxeus said:

Try look for something that will close up network ports or stop acknowledging connections after a certain time, maybe a 3rd party security/firewall programs and setup you may deployed with your OS.

If nothing work, try with a fresh new OS install on a spare formatted drive and with only latest drivers for networking and graphic and see if that fix it, since I'm certain this is OS related issue.

We've tried completely shutting off our firewalls, turning off any antivirus that we have, etc. No luck at all.

It happens on her laptop, as well as on her new PC (built within the last 3 months).

It's very confusing.

3 hours ago, Lockheed said:

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to happen to me, even though I'm now on the same network that my wife is (previously I was in australia, and she was on a different network entirely). We had a friend who we tried to connect to, and I was able to stay connected, but she wasn't.

If you were able to stay connected to hosts and your partner couldn't on the same network, then there's likely issue with your partner's PC. But first, couple more things to try I don't see you mentioned in your initial post:

1. Separate ports with multiple PCs: https://www.warframe.com/2pcnetwork
2. Have her use your PC to test the connection. As well new game account, to see it isn't account issue.
3. Last, since we don't know what has been done on her personalized PCs, a clean new OS install on a new drive to test a clean TCP parameters.

With that I'm out of ideas. If her account still disconnects on your computer that works fine with your account that maybe the time to send DE a support ticket. Else the temporary workaround for now just invite, join up and start mission right away or send invite when you are loaded into the mission. I will be away for a few days soon, do like to see how this goes. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I'm not the wife in question, but i still have same problem. I found a workaround: if I am the host and other people join me when I'm in mission, after mission the squad doesn't get disbanded, so we can play continiously without having to join after each mission. However that wouldn't work, if there are more people with that problem: being clients, they would still be kicked.

Issue persists only when connected via wifi to that router. When a PC is connected via ethernet cable, this particular issue is gone. When I use mobile hotstop with wifi, also no this issue. Using vpn resolves it too. It's unlikely a PC issue, as I tested both built-in wifi adapter, extenal usb adapter, and on another PC.

2 years ago I had opposite issue: when I was connected to the router with cable, i would be kicked out of squad, but on wifi it worked fine. We changed router at some point, and I thought that problem was fixed, but turned out it just jumped to wifi. Both routers are Keenetic, although much different generations.

I tried tweaking wi-fi settings on router, but nothing seems to help. Maybe i didn't dig settings deep enough.

@Nakti This issue is almost always network equipment or pathing related unfortunately, it can be very sporadic and difficult to troubleshoot yeah. Every OEM makes different firmware and versions of it for their routers and modems too, meaning one router can have some disconnect issues while the exact same one with a newer revision can have no problems. I switched to custom firmware (like DD-WRT or OpenWRT) on mine and it's worked way better than Netgear's stock one too.

I usually just recommend people contact their ISP if they don't want to do potentially hours of troubleshooting all this (or buying new network equipment, cause that's expensive) cause they'll usually test everything and sort it for you, or even just flat out replace the equipment if it's leased cause they want to keep your business. I know a lot of these posts (random disconnect ones) blame DE or their game, stating no other game does this, but it's a lot more complicated than that when networking is involved unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I know. I was just sharing some information on the topic in hope it would help somebody or somebody would throw any ideas.

Although while I was taking my time in replying you, issue seems to be gone on itself. I'm not being kicked out of the squads, and no those particular errors in EE.log. I don't recall having changed anything on my side, so I'm not sure why it was fixed and whether it will return any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm still having this problem. I never had this problem since 2020 like some others have claimed, mine only started around the recent prime resurgence release. 

I'm on PC and I'm facing an issue where say i'm squading up for relic runs from recruit chat or something, the moment the host starts the match, i immediately get hit with a host migration message and i disconnect from the squad. Weird thing is i'm getting the host migration message even before the game starts? doesnt make sense. I always get the message when the mission starting countdown timer begins, somewhere between the coutndown, the number will stop counting down, then a few seconds later they'll hit me with a host migration message, but everyone in the squad is still there and to them, it was me who left the squad. Literally every single time. I've been playing since 2018 and I never met any of these issues before. But recently, every single squad that i pre-make will end up in me disconnecting. However, the connection is perfectly normal if i join random matches, bounties, games that don't require pre-squading up, with extremely good connectivity i might add.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

so this issue is also happening to my friend who is on Ps5. when he is with me, even if he is host, he just loses connection when we go to a relay station, sometimes his game will freeze for like 10 seconds as well during the disconnect issue

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2021-05-10 at 3:50 PM, EdgeDancer23 said:

Hello all, thought I add

I'm having the EXACT same problem for the past 2 weeks. As others have explained, I would try joining a squad from recruit chat, but as soon as we all ready and the countdown begins for mission. The countdown will stop on a random second. Then suddenly just kick me from squad with a "Host Migration..." message but the rest of the squad will continue to the mission. Yet, I can join them with no problem once they've entered the mission and re-invite me.

AND there seems no problems when just doing random publics like sorties. I haven't had the above occur.

This really is discouraging to do anything in game like murmurs or rad shares. Especially if I want to do more then one mission in same group. I hate to keep asking for reinvites.

It is only missions though. I have had no problems joining someone in their dojo for trades.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this, or advice to resolve this issue?

On 2021-12-15 at 4:03 PM, nonsensemonster said:

Coming back to add that I have issues doing missions in open world areas now, too. If I want to do an Isolation Vault on Deimos, and I pick the mission from Mother in the Necralisk, it'll say I'm joining up with people then I'm totally alone once the doors open and I'm out on the drift. It's made trying to farm resources for a Necramech take longer since I'm stuck doing it alone. I've had some luck going out into the Drift first, then picking the mission from Mother outside, but it's not 100% that I get someone to join.

Context: Was experiencing exact problems as described above. Squad countdown would stop and I would get disconnected from squad while in orbiter while everyone else was able to join/continue mission without an issue. Noticed same problem on Landscapes/open world: join existing squad, doors open, squad mates gone. I see it happen too when I'm hosting where others would join for a second and then get kicked without ever spawning in. I can only assume they've got the same issue. 

The VPN from Naroxas' post worked for me so far. Tested with and without cross platform and have been able to join radshare squads with no issue (so far), able to host/invite to mission and dojo without problems. Haven't tested with open world yet. You may get a login warning about certain ports (4950/4955) not connecting- I ignored it and haven't noticed any issues. 

On 2023-10-12 at 12:08 AM, Naroxas44 said:

@Naroxas44 This was getting infuriating, thanks for doing the work to troubleshoot for us that DE was unable/unwilling to do. 

• 1 month later...

This is happening to me on xbox and has been since gauss prime was out. Its not on my end if many here are having the issue and i can play with my friends on other games. If i host they get disconnected on mission start, if i join them i get a host migration before the match starts and they join the mission while im kicked out.

• Like 1