Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path - need a way to disable it

Lotus-123

I never clicked the button on the dialog with Teshin, but he put me into Steel Path anyway. I figured that I would just leave the toggle on the first position, and be okay with it - but now I'm finding that public missions are connecting me to Steel Path versions.

Please - either honor the toggle button, and only match us up with the non-Steel Path squads - or give us a way to leave the Steel Path.

If you have the toggle set to the normal star chart and you're starting a public mission without being in a squad, you should only be going into normal missions. You'd see this when clicking a mission node as well. But if you're in a squad and someone else chooses to start a mission and they're set to Steel Path, then it will be SP.

As I understand it, when joining public missions it is impossible to know who will be the host. Therefore it's impossible to know if I'm going to be thrown into SP.

Therefore, I'm going to repeat my request to the game developers:  either let us get out of SP, or make the toggle actually apply to joining any squad. .  . . also, it would be nice to have some sort of indicator as to whether or not we're in a SP mission before we suddenly find ourselves fighting much stronger enemies than we expected.

With the way that things are right now, my only choice is to stay out of any squad where I don't know the person starting it. This does not promote team play.

1 hour ago, Lotus-123 said:

As I understand it, when joining public missions it is impossible to know who will be the host. Therefore it's impossible to know if I'm going to be thrown into SP.

This is incorrect.

If you are not currently in a squad but set to public and you click on a normal version on a star chart, you will end up in a normal version of the mission, possibly with others. Full stop.

If you are already in a squad and the host (or someone else maybe?) switches to steel path and then starts a mission, you'll go into the steel path version. If the host switches everyone to steel path without asking or notifying everyone first in the chat, they're trolling or inconsiderate and it's on them. Though you can see on the squad vote whether the mission is 1XX level or not and know if it is steel path. If you are invited to an existing squad on a mission that has already started by someone from recruiting, your clan, or a friend, it might be steel path. Again if they don't tell you this before inviting or someone force starts the mission, that's on them for being rude.

So again, if you are not currently in a group, but set to public and the normal star chart, clicking a mission will only send you into a normal mission, not a steel path one. If you feel you just can't trust random players to switch to steel path on you after completing the one mission, then leave the group after it is over and join another pub fresh from an empty squad. The toggle works and unless you're invited to a mission in progress, it's easy to see if it's steel path before voting to go.

33 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

If you are not currently in a squad but set to public and you click on a normal version on a star chart, you will end up in a normal version of the mission, possibly with others. Full stop.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I was on the normal star chart. Not in a squad at all.  Clicked on Orb Vallis. Ended up with Nightwave telling me I had just killed an enemy on Steel Path within a minute of getting there.

40 minutes ago, Lotus-123 said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. I was on the normal star chart. Not in a squad at all.  Clicked on Orb Vallis. Ended up with Nightwave telling me I had just killed an enemy on Steel Path within a minute of getting there.

Maybe there's some weirdness when joining open-world public squads. It doesn't work this way with anything else. Suggest posting in bugs, ideally with some screenshots (though you might have issues replicating this bug).

20 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

Nightwave displays the challenges that you still need to complete regardless what you are doing.

3 hours ago, fdge said:

Nightwave displays the challenges that you still need to complete regardless what you are doing.

Nice try, but that's not what happened. Was never in a Steel Path mission until this public mission in Orb Vallis. I didn't select Steel Path at all. There was no warning. The matchmaking just threw me beside some other player, and wham! there were really strong enemies. Killed one and Nightwave congratulated me - which let me know that I needed to get the he11 out of Dodge before I was road kill.

The problem is that it is a one in a few million glitch that may have put you in a steel path mission, or it was you selecting the mission with steel path active, or you took an invite to join someone that chose steel path.

Steel path, as intended, and working currently, is only accessible when you select to attempt steel path missions.  If you change the toggle on the right side of the star chart to normal missions, you are not supposed to get steel path missions.  Attempt to recreate what you did and try to take video capture to show that when you try joining normal missions you end up in steel path missions sometimes.

As for public missions in the open worlds, the steel path bounty is listed beside the other bounties also, so you may have selected the steel path bounty, or while you were still in a group someone selected the steel path bounty.

As for you asking them to respect the steel path toggle, they do.  You are not supposed to be connected to steel path missions unless you are actually on steel path, though as said, the bounties in each open world list the steel path bounty besides all the other bounties which can lead to confusion.

2 hours ago, JHarlequin said:

glitch

I won't venture a guess as to the odds of this 'glitch'. I can assure you that I didn't do anything to select Steel Path. Didn't select any 'mission' at all. Simply clicked on Orb Vallis so that I could rack up some VentKids standing. Speaking as someone who has done some programming, I'd think that DE would want to go through their code again, because it definitely is not honoring the toggle switch in some situation or other. However, I've come to believe that DE has other priorities than fixing bugs.

On 2021-11-19 at 9:27 AM, Lotus-123 said:

I never clicked the button on the dialog with Teshin, but he put me into Steel Path anyway. I figured that I would just leave the toggle on the first position, and be okay with it - but now I'm finding that public missions are connecting me to Steel Path versions.

Please - either honor the toggle button, and only match us up with the non-Steel Path squads - or give us a way to leave the Steel Path.

That sounds like a bug. This never happens to me, like ever. 

On 2021-11-19 at 3:53 PM, Lotus-123 said:

Had a bounty been selected by the host? There's a Steelpath bounty that you can access when you are playing the normal version of warframe. If a player selects a Steel path bounty and then goes to an open world, this can have you facing Steel path enemies 

I'm assuming that's what happened there. Could have been a bug or just a feature that got overlooked

Open world maps have 1 steel path bounty in them. I'm guessing you got tossed into that active bounty.
I agree that DE should honor your current selection in Navigation and not make you part of a SP bounty.

However; why would you join an open world map in public matchmaking directly and not expect something absolutely weird to happen?

It's not a regular mission type with only one thing happening, you could end up next to someone fishing/mining only, you could be thrown into an exploiter orb fight, a profit taker fight or just someone grinding on a pipe for vent kids standing.
Go to fortuna, select what you are looking for in terms of bounty/boss fight and then go to orb vallis -OR- set it to friends only/solo before you enter.

It would be nice if DE had some popup options when directly clicking the orb vallis node to "sort" players in groups like "fishing/mining" , "random boss fight" , "SP bounty" etc.

Ps. I think other hit the nail on the head already assuming OP went through fortuna as expected and out of habit, selected the last bounty in the list.
The steel path bounty needs to be differentiated better, set it in a different tab, make it have a red background, put a diagonal "STEEL PATH BEWARE" watermark on it. I too ended up on a SP bounty once after just clicking the last bounty in the list without reading anything.

Sounds like a Matchmaking Glitch, OP

honestly doesn't surprise me, Matchmaking as quite a few similar glitches that need fixing

like when you pick a Kuva Siphon and get matched into Kuva Flood instead, or vice-versa

or when you select a Lich Influence Node and get matched with someone running a Sister Node instead....

Your SP vs Normal sounds like a variant of this same type of glitch.

• 10 months later...

Kinda dead topic, but for anyone still getting this (like me) it seems the star chart will normally add you to the correct mission if you are in standard.  However, when selecting special missions, like void relic unlock missions, steel path missions will show up on the map despite not being listed in the upper right mission summary.  So, you see a void mission on standar path earth, click it, select your relic and join, only to find out that it was a steel path void mission that should not have been displayed on your standard star chart.  I've experienced this on PS4 multiple times, but not on PC.

On 2021-11-19 at 3:34 PM, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

Maybe there's some weirdness when joining open-world public squads. It doesn't work this way with anything else. Suggest posting in bugs, ideally with some screenshots (though you might have issues replicating this bug).

I am thinking it does have something to do with Open World Public squads. I queued up Steel Path Bounties on Deimos multiple times and three times I got partied with someone doing a Lv15 Bounty instead of Steel Path. It probably has to do with the specific bounty being a copy of one of the normal five bounties but converted into Steel Path. The system likely sees it as the same mission for some odd reason even though Steel Path is on/off. 

Archived