Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My take on Fused Reservoir Augment changes

Zahnrad

So, Warframe augments always suffer the problem of "Why is this an augment and not part of the base Warframe?"

But some augments feel more obvious than others in this regard. Due to the Anniversary skin I got to using my Wisp again and I can't help but feel, why is Fused Reservoir an augment?

This is the build I use for it.

Spoiler

KojrsN5.png

91q0iK6.png

Because I use Empower, Fused Reservoir is an obvious choice for my Wisp, as 200% energy cost is more energy efficient than using Empower 3 times.

But it's got me asking, when you have the option between selecting a Fused Reservoir and singular Reservoirs, why would you ever want to use them separately? And even without the augment, you place them all in the same spot like a Fused Reservoir, and they take the same amount of Reservoir capacity, so gameplay isn't even different with or without it.

So rather than having an augment that makes players do exactly what they do without it, why not have an Augment that encourages you to spread out your Reservoirs instead of putting 3 in one spot?

Here's my idea. Influenced by Sol Gate and Breach Surge teleportation.

(For lack of a better name I'm just going to call it Gated Reservoir)

With this augment equipped, the further apart your singular Reservoirs are spread out, the stronger their buffs become (capped at a certain point)

In addition, Wisp and her Allies can interact with Reservoirs to teleport between them. However you cannot teleport TO a Fused Reservoir, only teleport FROM them. (Has a cooldown so you can't just quickly zip between Shock, Haste and Vitality)

Each Reservoir is marked by a number on the minimap or when looking at them, and interacting with one will bring up a UI to choose which number to teleport to (along with what Reservoir type it is.)

Now Wisp benefits from spreading out her buffs by them being stronger based on distance, and it gives Players a form of Fast Travel while in missions.

I like the idea of rewarding players for spreading out their Reservoirs, but Wisp does not need even more strength to her motes imo. 

Instead, how about an augment that causes all Reservoirs within a wide radius to share buffs between them? So if you stand on a Vitality mote, and there’s a Haste mote within range, you also gain the Haste mote, and vice versa. If there’s a Shock mote within range of one of the other two, all three would become what we now have as Fused Reservoirs. 

This augment would encourage Wisp players to spread their Reservoirs around a large area to create many different areas to refresh all three buffs, as opposed to only having two Fused Reservoirs that you need to run back to every time. I could see this being effective in endless missions where you roam around the objective area(s).

TBH, ive been using wisp alot more lately (particularly in orokin vault hunting) and my absolute main gripe is how stationary she is....she CANT be mobile without having a bunch of duration and wanting to put down motes elsewhere...which makes her nto a good choice for mobile missions.

Spoiler

Ive ALWAYS looked at her as a camper....and i think that having an augment that MAKES her mobile and thus makes the squad come to her to get the buffs a good option...similar to chorma's 2 augment...but permanent for Wisp until she runs out of energy, dies, or doe to balance, have to recast it, i would go for at LEAST 30 seconds BASE.

ie. Fused Reservoir would make it stay with Wisp, have a timed duration for the buffs AND have the 200% cast.

I've honestly never liked the more....campy...missions, like interception the 2 defenses and Survivals with squads who camp.

It would also make her 1 more useful for exterminate, capture, assassination, rescue, solo/mobile survival etc.

As for your New Augment, I like it. It helps with those stationary missions and a BIT more for the mobile missions. I do like the teleport idea, which could be good for the larger survivals, again mobile.

the augment was a god send for me. my issue was that it doesnt replace the old effect it just adds a 4th pin on the wheel. DE's problem imo, is this idea that ability wheels are good in a fast paced horde game.

they knew people wanted this effect as a base ability or else it wouldnt be an augment. 

Other than the teleport, is there even much of a use case for not dropping all motes anymore? What's left, not using the shock mote on easy defense missions so you don't slow down the trash? Once I might have been here to go 'please don't fuse the motes, get your vitality mote away from my Garuda, I just want the haste!', but that absurd problem got solved.

And if they were fused by default without an augment, wouldn't that basically mean more camps to teleport to by default? Unless they were to then make the reservoir limit 2 or something like that to compensate, you'd be free to put a bunch of them down in strategic places for teleports and refreshing the duration.

Having to go hold, tap, hold, tap, hold, tap just to throw down the buffs was always the most tedious thing, too. It should just never have been 3 sub-abilities, IMO.

24 minutes ago, (NSW)DracoHouston said:

Other than the teleport, is there even much of a use case for not dropping all motes anymore?

Yes.  Not every Wisp player likes to use all motes at the same time, so having the fused reservoir as an augment helps satisfy players who want and don't want the option to use it.  I think it's fair that if you want the convenience of the combined reservoirs then you lose a mod slot to the augment.

Shock and speed motes can be annoying in some situations.  Shock motes can interfere with the elemental damage of allies who don't want it.

On 2022-04-06 at 4:06 AM, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

I like the idea of rewarding players for spreading out their Reservoirs, but Wisp does not need even more strength to her motes imo. 

Instead, how about an augment that causes all Reservoirs within a wide radius to share buffs between them?

Yup, that sounds good.

10 minutes ago, 0bsi said:

Yes.  Not every Wisp player likes to use all motes at the same time, so having the fused reservoir as an augment helps satisfy players who want and don't want the option to use it.  I think it's fair that if you want the convenience of the combined reservoirs then you lose a mod slot to the augment.

Shock and speed motes can be annoying in some situations.  Shock motes can interfere with the elemental damage of allies who don't want it.

Yup, that sounds good.

I had not thought of allies not wanting shock outside, like, Hydron, I can see sometimes not wanting to go fast too. Couldn't both be better served by having the ability wheel as a set of toggles to enable and disable using a mote, then a 4th ability that just drops all enabled motes in 1 go? Kind of like shaman totems in WoW after they added the ability to drop your selected totems in a batch. Though I can also see some edge cases like being low on energy, a nully jumped on you out of nowhere and you need vitty mote right NOW, the toggle method would be slower than what we have now. But maybe if it doesn't take forever to drop them you'd have one in the room in that case anyway because why not.

Mostly, I don't accept that its 'fair' that you friendly ghosts give up a mod slot to make your buffs less onerous to refresh on non-endless missions without camp phases like exterminate, capture etc. You wisps work too hard. At least it is only an exilus mod.

Also I withdraw my 'more camps by default' comment, just saw this looking at the wiki page for the mod:

"Fused Reservoir counts as 3 summoned Reservoirs and Wisp is still limited to 6 total Reservoirs at once, meaning only 2 of the combined versions can be used at any given time."

🤨

Honestly, I don't even use the augment - because I don't want to lose a mod slot, and I personally don't find it annoying to plop 3 down if I want all 3 in the one spot.  It's not like you cast them frequently enough to really be an issue IMHO.

If however the Wisp specters would use the combined one only - then I'd use it to make specters :D  To save the annoyance of her placing everything but the healing one all over the place!

7 hours ago, 0bsi said:

Honestly, I don't even use the augment - because I don't want to lose a mod slot, and I personally don't find it annoying to plop 3 down if I want all 3 in the one spot.  It's not like you cast them frequently enough to really be an issue IMHO.

If however the Wisp specters would use the combined one only - then I'd use it to make specters :D  To save the annoyance of her placing everything but the healing one all over the place!

Yeah that's a shame, it'd be a no brainer for specters if they used mods.

On 2022-04-05 at 10:39 AM, Zahnny said:

But it's got me asking, when you have the option between selecting a Fused Reservoir and singular Reservoirs, why would you ever want to use them separately? And even without the augment, you place them all in the same spot like a Fused Reservoir, and they take the same amount of Reservoir capacity, so gameplay isn't even different with or without it.

Unpopular Opinion here, but:

You might want to use them Separately because sometimes you Don't Want All Effects.

Shock can be undesirable because it stun-locks enemies. Which can be bad if you have abilities that Rely on Enemies Attacking you to trigger them.

Haste might be undesirable to a Melee Player, because the change in attack speed can throw off their Combo Timing muscle memory.

Anything to encourage Spreading the Reservoirs out, so Tenno can Pick and Choose instead of getting all at once, is a good thing.

Archived