Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game constantly crashes

dardo93

I've moved to Windows 11 and have still had a freeze during a mission.

Having done some reading, I may have a theory.

It seems that if the a game doesn't "communicate" with the graphics driver with a certain amount of time, the driver will restart.

With Warframe using a P2P system rather than dedicated servers, stutters and freezes tend to happen quite often.

The time limit for the driver and game to keep working together is set at 2 seconds.

With a registry entry, this can be changed. I've set it to 10 seconds, and so far haven't had any freeze-ups.

I'll update in a few days whether or not the new setting has cured the issue.

Hi everyone, thank you for bringing these crashes to our attention. Just to be clear, does anyone see the crash window appear after the game crashes? If you do, then can you please share the WAR-#### that appears on the last page of this window? It should look like this:

image.png

If you don't see the crash window, then after the game has crashed, please click the little cogwheel at the top-right corner of your Warframe launcher and select "Get Logs." Once you have done this, you'll want to create a support ticket with all of the information you've provided in this thread with those log files attached.

31.png

If you'd like to share your ticket # here after it has been created, then we should be able to get to it more quickly.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Hi everyone, thank you for bringing these crashes to our attention. Just to be clear, does anyone see the crash window appear after the game crashes? If you do, then can you please share the WAR-#### that appears on the last page of this window? It should look like this:

image.png

If you don't see the crash window, then after the game has crashed, please click the little cogwheel at the top-right corner of your Warframe launcher and select "Get Logs." Once you have done this, you'll want to create a support ticket with all of the information you've provided in this thread with those log files attached.

31.png

If you'd like to share your ticket # here after it has been created, then we should be able to get to it more quickly.

Thanks!

Here is the support ticket I created with my logs:

I do not see the crash window as the game completely freezes and I have to use task manager to quit

14 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

image.png

31.png

Thanks!

So far switching to DX12 has solved the issue (switching back to DX11 caused the problem to reappear pretty quickly). In the long run however, staying on DX12 is not preferrable, as the game "hitches" a lot for me on any of my machines.

For me there was no crash window - the game simply stopped responding and maintained forced OS focus, leaving me unable to do anything other than restart (because of a single monitor setup where the frozen window was going above the task manager). Maybe could have killed the process via a command or a batch script prepared in advance, but didn't remember the process name back then. Skimming through EE.log didn't reveal any blatantly obvious culprit, but then again, no idea what I'd be looking for.

I will attempt to reproduce the issue again (by going back to DX11) and submit a ticket.

Thank you in advance for following up on this.

Update 1: if anyone is facing such a freeze on a single-monitor setup, you can avoid a restart by running the following command in the start menu:

Spoiler

taskkill /IM "Warframe.x64.exe" /F

(this should kill the warframe process when it becomes stuck)

Pc froze out three times today, all i can do is shut-down the pc. Now my led on my keyboard has gone out i'm pretty sure as a result of this today. Not hte first time either, originally stopped playing back in february this year because i kept encountering entire pc lock-ups and i was trying to play zariman content back then too.

I also had my game freeze at random points. After finding this post I tried DX12 and that fixed it, but I like to go back to DX11 because that runs alot smoother on my machine.

my specs are: win10, ryzen 7 5800x, 16gb ram, gtx 970

On 2022-07-09 at 12:58 AM, XHADgaming said:

Unfortunately, even after looking at these logs, we're still having some trouble tracking down the culprit.

Can anyone who experiences this issue please check their Event Viewer after the game freezes/crashes?

You can view your events by doing the following:

1. Click the Start button
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System and Security
  4. Click Administrative Tools
  5. Click Event Viewer

Once you've opened the Event Viewer, please click "Administrative Events" in the Custom Views folder.

Are there any events that might line up with the time your game froze/crashed?
Ideally this would be anything with the level "Error" or "Critical".

19 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Unfortunately, even after looking at these logs, we're still having some trouble tracking down the culprit.

Can anyone who experiences this issue please check their Event Viewer after the game freezes/crashes?

I just crashed again today, this time while streaming on twitch. No different than usual, game just freezes my whole pc and event viewer doesn't show anything wrong before, durin,g or after this time.

At least once a day my game 'crashes'. But the game isn't treating itself like a crash, It won't white out and say to wait for program to respond or to close it. And there is no crash report following this.

Whenever the game 'crashes' it's actually stopping entirely. The CPU drops to 0% used, or it might go to 0.4% CPU usage. Right now it crashed on my daily login screen, so I don't know what I got or if it took choices from me. But usually it acts choppy/slows down when I'm just loading into a mission. It's been maybe happening for the past week or so and definitely wasn't like this a month ago.

En 8/7/2022 a las 23:23, [DE]Linkski dijo:

image.png

31.png

Thanks!

No crash window or war-#### archive in my case, the game just stays frozen until i close it using the task manager

#2874934 this is my ticket ID its in Spanish, I added logs and the event viewer file

Just now, BlueDawn826 said:

No crash window or war-#### archive in my case, the game just stays frozen until i close it using the task manager

#2874934 this is my ticket ID its in Spanish, I added logs and the event viewer file

Thank you! You wouldn't happen to still have the EE.log file, would you? I see DxDiag ang Launcher.log attached, but the EE.log should tell us what the game was doing at the time.

hace 1 hora, [DE]Linkski dijo:

Thank you! You wouldn't happen to still have the EE.log file, would you? I see DxDiag ang Launcher.log attached, but the EE.log should tell us what the game was doing at the time.

Sorry i deleted those logs, but i update my ticket with the logs of a new crash under the same circunstances

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the log files that explains why these crashes are occurring, which indicates that there might be something interfering with Warframe. Would anyone here happen to be using an injector like SweetFX to modify their game? If you are, then please disable it and see if the game stops crashing in DX11.

If you're not using an injector, then please try disabling any background apps so we can make sure that there is nothing behind the scenes that might cause Warframe to shut down.

1. Press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time.
- In the Run window, type `msconfig`, and hit Enter.
- Click the Selective startup option, and then un-check the box Load startup items
- Now go to the Services tab at the top, and click to select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.
 * Note: `DO NOT` turn off Microsoft services without contacting Microsoft Support as this can affect the normal, healthy running of Windows.
-  Click Apply, then OK, and then restart your computer

Once you have determined if background processes are causing any issues, please follow these steps to reset the computer to start normally.

- Click the Normal Startup option
- Click Apply, then OK.

Afterwards, restart your computer.

On 2022-06-26 at 3:49 AM, ShadowHunter74 said:

Have also noticed that Warframe is not supported by Nvidia supported games list anymore. Pretty sure it used to be

Supported Games | GeForce Experience (nvidia.com)

Just a heads up, this is specific to GeForce Experience, and unfortunately, we cannot assist with that. However, all the options in the GeForce Experience are available in-game under the Options -> Video tab.

On 2022-06-26 at 3:49 AM, ShadowHunter74 said:

Have also noticed that Warframe is not supported by Nvidia supported games list anymore. Pretty sure it used to be

Supported Games | GeForce Experience (nvidia.com)

3 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Just a heads up, this is specific to GeForce Experience, and unfortunately, we cannot assist with that. However, all the options in the GeForce Experience are available in-game under the Options -> Video tab.

As a Nvidia user I can verify that GeForce Experience did not enhance Warframe's performance.

Windows Event Log:

Ereignis 1002, Application Hang
Das Programm Warframe.x64.exe Version 2022.7.13.14 hat die Interaktion mit Windows beendet und wurde geschlossen. Überprüfen Sie den Problemverlauf in der Systemsteuerung "Sicherheit und Wartung", um nach weiteren Informationen zum Problem zu suchen.
 Prozess-ID: 3a20
 Startzeit: 01d8983419560a61
 Beendigungszeit: 4294967295
 Anwendungspfad: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Warframe.x64.exe
 Bericht-ID: 65336ee6-ba93-4c81-b6bd-22dcd429bc65
 Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
 Relative Anwendungs-ID des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
 Absturztyp: Top level window is idle

There is no launcher error log, because the application just hangs instead of crashing. It can only be closed via taskmanager.

The problem seems to be related to the last two Nvidia Gameready Driver Versions.

Just before the crash you can feel a texture loading lag. Then the game just hangs.

The problem only occurs with DX11. If I set the game to DX12 there is no crash, although I can feel these texture loading lags aswell. But without the crash.

System

Windows 10 x64 21H2
AMD Ryzen 2600
ASUS TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
NVidia Geforce 1060 6GB

all Drivers and Patches up to date

En 14/7/2022 a las 17:53, [DE]Linkski dijo:

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the log files that explains why these crashes are occurring, which indicates that there might be something interfering with Warframe. Would anyone here happen to be using an injector like SweetFX to modify their game? If you are, then please disable it and see if the game stops crashing in DX11.

If you're not using an injector, then please try disabling any background apps so we can make sure that there is nothing behind the scenes that might cause Warframe to shut down.

- Click the Selective startup option, and then un-check the box Load startup items
- Now go to the Services tab at the top, and click to select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.
 * Note: `DO NOT` turn off Microsoft services without contacting Microsoft Support as this can affect the normal, healthy running of Windows.
-  Click Apply, then OK, and then restart your computer

Once you have determined if background processes are causing any issues, please follow these steps to reset the computer to start normally.

- Click the Normal Startup option
- Click Apply, then OK.

Afterwards, restart your computer.

I followed the instructions but the problem continues, same freezes under the same pattern

Also today I suffer the same type of freeze, three times in a row, in the load screen just before the login screen

I was figuring it was something to do with texturing.  The most easily caused crash is caused if I attempt to skip the scene of the liset flying to the mission area.  If I skip that, there's about a 90% chance it'll freeze up, where as if I leave it alone, it'll usually load in just fine.  During that scene, I imagine the game is loading in the warframe and geographical textures, so skipping before those are fully loaded in could cause a hang.

This is obviously a big problem when trying to play in public matchmaking, since the host will nearly always skip the scene and cause my game to lock up, making group play almost impossible.

I've also noticed in open-world areas it seems quite common that the game will only load in a low-res version of my warframe's skin and that'll stick until I stop moving.  Then it'll move to a high rez skin until I start moving quickly again, where it'll go back to low rez again.  That seems really weird considering if the high rez texture is in the RAM, there's no reason to downgrade it.

@[DE]LinkskiDoes the game have any kind of auto-optimisation going on in the background where it'll adjust graphics depending on the stability of the framerate?  And if so, is there any way to turn that off?  If it is an issue with textures, then most likely it's the constant fluctuating between low and high resolution textures the game does that could be causing it, since that's a lot of load to put on VRAM and could be causing a graphical loading loop that is making the game hang without actually crashing the client.

Archived