Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zariman Ten Zero Rework

Brinstar7777

[SPOILER ALERT FOR ANGELS OF THE ZARIMAN]

Honestly, I don't exactly approve of the Zariman Ten Zero in it's current state in the game. One of the things I liked about the open worlds is that you can go out without a set objective and just gather materials without having to worry about completing a specific goal first. But you can't do that on the Zariman Ten Zero right now. 

That being said, I really like the concept of an indoor open world, where you crawl through vents and navigate complex passages rather than fly around with an archwing. The Plains of Eidolon have a little of that in the caves, but much of the action is centered on the surface. I also like the idea of multiple factions vying for control of a location.

Thus, I propose a overhaul of the Zariman; described below.

Spoiler

Structure of the Zariman

The biggest change is that all of the 'nodes' that once made up the Zariman have now been lumped together into a single open-world Landscape, split up into 5 distinct 'zones'. Each Zone has a single elevator that lets you return to the Hub, and while the layout of the Zariman remains fixed between missions, it's also randomly generated in the same way that the current Zariman tilesets are.

Shifting Corridors

Wait, if the Zariman's layout is fixed, isn't it technically not randomly generated? Glad you asked! You see, every 150 minutes, the Zariman's Void Drive lets loose a pulse of void energy that completely rearranges the Zariman's layout, shuffling the locations of rooms, enemies, points of interest, and everything else... including the player, if they're unlucky enough to be out in the Zariman when the Pulse hits. As a result, you can easily end up lost out in the Zariman until you find an elevator that can take you back to the hub.

Warring Factions

Unlike in the current update, the Worm Queen's Kuva Grineer and Parvos Granum's Juno Corpus are both present in the Zariman. Moreover, there are significantly more Void Manifestations and they are much more varied, making them just as much of a threat out among the Zariman's twisting passageways as the other two factions. None of these parties are happy about each other's presence, and the Grineer and Corpus can frequently be found skirmishing with both Void Manifestations and each other.

Voidplumes

Voidplume spawning is no longer tied to either mission start/end or the Void Pulse; they now spawn in random locations of their own accord, much like Cetus Wisps. There will be about eight of them in each zone at a time.

Unpredictable Spirits

Spirits no longer spawn as glowing Globe Lights; they can instead be found just wandering around out in the Zariman. Some are helpful, leading you to collectibles or hinting at puzzle solutions. Some are less so, applying debuffs to you and your warframe or stealing your stuff if you get too close. One or two may even forcibly eject you from your warframe and assail your Operator form with void-based attacks. Any spirit, friendly or not, can be killed with sufficient void damage. 

3 hours ago, Brinstar7777 said:

Structure of the Zariman

The biggest change is that all of the 'nodes' that once made up the Zariman have now been lumped together into a single open-world Landscape, split up into 5 distinct 'zones'. Each Zone has a single elevator that lets you return to the Hub, and while the layout of the Zariman remains fixed between missions, it's also randomly generated in the same way that the current Zariman tilesets are.

If I want to do exterminate I do exterminate. I don't want to load some random stuffs.

3 hours ago, Brinstar7777 said:

Shifting Corridors

Wait, if the Zariman's layout is fixed, isn't it technically not randomly generated? Glad you asked! You see, every 150 minutes, the Zariman's Void Drive lets loose a pulse of void energy that completely rearranges the Zariman's layout, shuffling the locations of rooms, enemies, points of interest, and everything else... including the player, if they're unlucky enough to be out in the Zariman when the Pulse hits. As a result, you can easily end up lost out in the Zariman until you find an elevator that can take you back to the hub.

People already forgotten how to get locked in New war quest? I like current structure where I finish mission and I can almost immediately leave mission.

And shuffling rooms and all stuffs seems "meh". It doesn't makes gameplay lot more interesting. If it were like from the horror movie Cube (any version afair) then it would be much more interesting.

4 hours ago, Brinstar7777 said:

Warring Factions

Unlike in the current update, the Worm Queen's Kuva Grineer and Parvos Granum's Juno Corpus are both present in the Zariman. Moreover, there are significantly more Void Manifestations and they are much more varied, making them just as much of a threat out among the Zariman's twisting passageways as the other two factions. None of these parties are happy about each other's presence, and the Grineer and Corpus can frequently be found skirmishing with both Void Manifestations and each other.

Faction fighting each other is not interesting. However It would be nice to get more enemies in zariman.

4 hours ago, Brinstar7777 said:

Unpredictable Spirits

Spirits no longer spawn as glowing Globe Lights; they can instead be found just wandering around out in the Zariman. Some are helpful, leading you to collectibles or hinting at puzzle solutions. Some are less so, applying debuffs to you and your warframe or stealing your stuff if you get too close. One or two may even forcibly eject you from your warframe and assail your Operator form with void-based attacks. Any spirit, friendly or not, can be killed with sufficient void damage. 

That's interesting but we should be able to distinguish Spirits. Without being able to distinguish them it would be too random (like void storms...) aka bad.

On 2022-10-15 at 10:19 PM, quxier said:

If I want to do exterminate I do exterminate. I don't want to load some random stuffs.

You can still do that, just without the objective markers and kill count requirements, making it much more accessible to players that maybe don't quite have the gear they need to blow through a hundred Level-50 enemies.

People already forgotten how to get locked in New war quest? I like current structure where I finish mission and I can almost immediately leave mission.

And shuffling rooms and all stuffs seems "meh". It doesn't makes gameplay lot more interesting. If it were like from the horror movie Cube (any version afair) then it would be much more interesting.

The partial replication of the 'locked in New War' issue is actually an intended mechanic; it adds a level of risk to exploring the Zariman, as you risk getting lost if you're out when the void pulse occurs. Also, I was imagining the shuffeling rooms mechanic to actually work a lot like the rooms in the horror movie Cube. I was also contemplating not giving the players access to the map, to make navigation harder.

Faction fighting each other is not interesting. However It would be nice to get more enemies in zariman.

In my opinion, factions fighting each other is interesting. You can play them off one another, lead enemies into ambushes set by other enemies, and all sorts of fun stuff.

That's interesting but we should be able to distinguish Spirits. Without being able to distinguish them it would be too random (like void storms...) aka bad.

The spirits act like the asylum inmates in the first Outlast game; they are meant to add a level of chaos and unpredictability, like the Lohk surges; you don't know whether a spirit will be helpful, hostile, or neutral. However, you can distinguish from them based on how they're moving and what sounds they're making; you just have to approach a spirit carefully so that the bad ones don't do anything bad to you before you realize they aren't friendly.

10 hours ago, Brinstar7777 said:
On 2022-10-16 at 4:19 AM, quxier said:

You can still do that, just without the objective markers and kill count requirements, making it much more accessible to players that maybe don't quite have the gear they need to blow through a hundred Level-50 enemies.

Zariman is supposed to be place where you need not newbe gear. I'm not sure how 50 level be too much for such players.

Without objective marker or kill count requirements it's not mission.

The partial replication of the 'locked in New War' issue is actually an intended mechanic; it adds a level of risk to exploring the Zariman, as you risk getting lost if you're out when the void pulse occurs. Also, I was imagining the shuffeling rooms mechanic to actually work a lot like the rooms in the horror movie Cube. I was also contemplating not giving the players access to the map, to make navigation harder.

Again, not everyone has hours of daytime. Sometimes you want to quick 10 minutes then BAM some stupid thing shuffled you have to spend another 5-10 minutes to look for way out. It happens already and I hate this. When I e.g. capture target I don't want to go another 1/2 Km to some point. Or if I mine some stuffs I just want to "ESC > get all loot and return to Hub/Orbiter".

I like Cube movies as well. However those kind of things has to be either on smaller scale or with player consent (e.g. specific mission type). And what's more, just shuffling rooms won't make it more challenging. It will make it more cumbersome, even more without map. Am I supposed to draw it on paper?!

In my opinion, factions fighting each other is interesting. You can play them off one another, lead enemies into ambushes set by other enemies, and all sorts of fun stuff.

If it were more complex then it would be interesting. However it won't be in WF. Look at AI. It's not great.

On 2022-10-16 at 12:13 AM, Brinstar7777 said:

What you describe is a living world and I love that concept, but DE sadly don't do living worlds.

All open worlds are dead. Nothing is happening anywhere... It's very easy to experience the emptiness and livelessness of open worlds if you just load into them without a specific objective in mind. You will just stand there and nothing will happen. Openworlds should be a mission without bounties or droptables, in which you load in and it starts feeding you random objectives.

Example: You just load in Plains and Lotus says: "Tenno, Grinner have set up a new encampment near Mount Nang, we must eradicate them." and you go there and you do it and you get Ostron tokens. Few seconds later you get another task, but... 

DE don't design that way, they have an empty map and player has to turn the content on by starting a bounty.

I fear that your concept would meet a similar fate. Zariman would be an empty ship and the only thing you could do is to turn on the bounties.
For that reason I don't think your concept is a good idea.

I want Zariman to be as is. I am very happy, that the syndicate grind was no grind at all. It was rather easy and fun getting needed voidplumes and maxing out the standing. And after I got all drops from bounties, I can easily ignore them and just farm Cascade, because I consider it a stellar gamemode.

On 2022-10-15 at 5:13 PM, Brinstar7777 said:

[SPOILER ALERT FOR ANGELS OF THE ZARIMAN]

Honestly, I don't exactly approve of the Zariman Ten Zero in it's current state in the game. One of the things I liked about the open worlds is that you can go out without a set objective and just gather materials without having to worry about completing a specific goal first. But you can't do that on the Zariman Ten Zero right now. 

That being said, I really like the concept of an indoor open world, where you crawl through vents and navigate complex passages rather than fly around with an archwing. The Plains of Eidolon have a little of that in the caves, but much of the action is centered on the surface. I also like the idea of multiple factions vying for control of a location.

Reveal hidden contents

Structure of the Zariman

Shifting Corridors

Warring Factions

Voidplumes

Voidplume spawning is no longer tied to either mission start/end or the Void Pulse; they now spawn in random locations of their own accord, much like Cetus Wisps. There will be about eight of them in each zone at a time.

Unpredictable Spirits

Honestly I was expecting something like a creepy forest. With a lot of “angels”. Basically picture all those crazy designs/statues all over the walls and such but more in the shape of trees. We don’t have a forest based open world so this would be a close enough one to enjoy. Give it a horror theme where you don’t know which statues are just that while others are dormant angels.

Basically picture smaller angels that stand still until somebody gets close to them, which they’ll then spring to life and launch at you. Maybe corpus and grineer have traveled to this mysterious object floating through space and when they landed they were ambushed and turned into a new breed of these angels with unique abilities. 

There’s a lot more to this concept but that’s what I was expecting when I first saw it. When I did the quest and such I was asking myself constantly what kind of open world it would be. And due to how these void angels look like metal trees mixed with a Scream vibe, I was expecting/hoping it was gonna be a creepy forest theme. 

It wouldn’t have been super big, the infested one is quite small compared to the others. And considering how big the map is, as an open world with a creepy forest of metal tree shaped angels, it would roughly be the same size as the infested. During a certain time the dormant angels are more active and roam around while during the other part of the cycle they remain dormant until disturbed. Maybe there’s a building/city like area that was part of the Zariman ship that almost acts as the typical creepy castle deep in the forest. Basically they crashed landed on a moon or something and that’s when all these metal tree looking angels began to sprout. In a manner of speaking. And when travelers arrived, they became part of the forest until it became extremely big/deep. With the “castle” aka ship being where the information on how it all came to be is located.

I’m sure you can picture what I’m talking about. I’m not very good at drawing otherwise I would draw it all up. 

55 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

Example: You just load in Plains and Lotus says: "Tenno, Grinner have set up a new encampment near Mount Nang, we must eradicate them." and you go there and you do it and you get Ostron tokens. Few seconds later you get another task, but... 

Or:

Change of plans, ignore your original objective, leave nothing alive

After you finish with your main objective.

1 hour ago, Cerikus said:

I want Zariman to be as is. I am very happy, that the syndicate grind was no grind at all. It was rather easy and fun getting needed voidplumes and maxing out the standing. And after I got all drops from bounties, I can easily ignore them and just farm Cascade, because I consider it a stellar gamemode.

Why some people likes to do X? They may like it, that's obvious. However one think I hate about Open world in this game is that you cannot change your gear. So you are doing this 5 mission but you are forced to pick one frame. In other (maybe) open world  like Morrowind I could pause and change my configs.

10 minutes ago, (PSN)chris1pat8twins said:

Honestly I was expecting something like a creepy forest. With a lot of “angels”. Basically picture all those crazy designs/statues all over the walls and such but more in the shape of trees. We don’t have a forest based open world so this would be a close enough one to enjoy. Give it a horror theme where you don’t know which statues are just that while others are dormant angels.

Basically picture smaller angels that stand still until somebody gets close to them, which they’ll then spring to life and launch at you. Maybe corpus and grineer have traveled to this mysterious object floating through space and when they landed they were ambushed and turned into a new breed of these angels with unique abilities. 

There’s a lot more to this concept but that’s what I was expecting when I first saw it. When I did the quest and such I was asking myself constantly what kind of open world it would be. And due to how these void angels look like metal trees mixed with a Scream vibe, I was expecting/hoping it was gonna be a creepy forest theme. 

It wouldn’t have been super big, the infested one is quite small compared to the others. And considering how big the map is, as an open world with a creepy forest of metal tree shaped angels, it would roughly be the same size as the infested. During a certain time the dormant angels are more active and roam around while during the other part of the cycle they remain dormant until disturbed. Maybe there’s a building/city like area that was part of the Zariman ship that almost acts as the typical creepy castle deep in the forest. Basically they crashed landed on a moon or something and that’s when all these metal tree looking angels began to sprout. In a manner of speaking. And when travelers arrived, they became part of the forest until it became extremely big/deep. With the “castle” aka ship being where the information on how it all came to be is located.

I’m sure you can picture what I’m talking about. I’m not very good at drawing otherwise I would draw it all up. 

I like Angels to stay as dormand and I have to press X to activate it.

However I agree more or less with most of the stuffs. The worst issue is we have Angels and that's all. There are lot of Angel and other metalic forms that servers no purpose in game. Let them interact with us from time to time. It doesn't have to be fight (all the time) it could be e.g. stun or something. Or they could buff us to some ridiculous value like sprinting that shoot us into wall (just roll to cancel it).

6 minutes ago, quxier said:

Sure :D the wording or flavor can be whatever they would want, but main point would be to have endless loop of random events. It could very well be even something like: "OMG! Tenno! Cetus is starving! Can you catch 10 fish for 100 Tokens?"

8 minutes ago, quxier said:

However one think I hate about Open world in this game is that you cannot change your gear.

And that's where an idea I had for some time would come into place: 

Specter rework

What if the specters were not AI drones, but rather a portable loadout. You would be allowed to make few different loadouts (probably upto 3) and carry a gear item.
Activating said gear item would promt Ordis to drop a package in front of you - Warframe. You would simply use 5 to switch from your current loadout to the new one. And the previous Warframe would be "picked up" by Ordis.

17 minutes ago, Cerikus said:
33 minutes ago, quxier said:

Sure :D the wording or flavor can be whatever they would want, but main point would be to have endless loop of random events. It could very well be even something like: "OMG! Tenno! Cetus is starving! Can you catch 10 fish for 100 Tokens?"

And some Tenno would be like "Nope". The Lotus quote were joke. However it shows that some people want very specific mission.

19 minutes ago, Cerikus said:
35 minutes ago, quxier said:

However one think I hate about Open world in this game is that you cannot change your gear.

And that's where an idea I had for some time would come into place: 

Specter rework

What if the specters were not AI drones, but rather a portable loadout. You would be allowed to make few different loadouts (probably upto 3) and carry a gear item.
Activating said gear item would promt Ordis to drop a package in front of you - Warframe. You would simply use 5 to switch from your current loadout to the new one. And the previous Warframe would be "picked up" by Ordis.

Why not just simply slap arsenal? Yeah, it would be probably harder to implement but it would be much better. Sometimes, yes, you want whole config. Sometimes you just picked wrong weapon or frame (or even wrong mod config of your frame or weapon). I'm MR 25 or 26 and I don't remember when I've used them.

3 minutes ago, quxier said:

Yeah, it would be probably harder to implement but it would be much better.

That was exactly my thinking. While Arsenal would be just straight up better, I think most of the tech is already in the game for this to work.

5 minutes ago, quxier said:

And some Tenno would be like "Nope". The Lotus quote were joke. However it shows that some people want very specific mission.

Of course. And you could easily just have a skip button. When they showed oplink at Tennocon 2019, there was this UI element.

Bez-n-zvu.png

It could perfectly work with that.

1 minute ago, Cerikus said:
10 minutes ago, quxier said:

Of course. And you could easily just have a skip button. When they showed oplink at Tennocon 2019, there was this UI element.

Ok, here is from 2 perspectives solo (I play only solo) and team (assumption but I think they should be good enough).

From my (solo) perspective:

When I want to farm/do something specific I pick gear & specific mission from the STarchart (excluding Open world & Zariman bounties). That's easy. When I want to farm something specific from Zariman bounties (e.g. Gyre) I had to go to Zariman and pick right mission & frame combination. That makes it less streamlined (I wish we could at least start bounties from the starchart - even better if we could pick certain features like 5-minute missions).

When I would go to Open world with random mission as you suggested I would have to load it first. Then I go to some random location and see if I like mission. Ok. Skip. Go to other place. Skip. Go to another place.. ok.. mission is fine but I need to change frame. It's very cumbersome.

From team perspective:

Your team picks something you don't like it. Skip. Other player doesn't like mission type. Skip. They managed to pick mission good for all after 10 tries. That's horrible. Now people (not great) use chat and invite people with specific gear to specific mission type or objective (e.g. Eidolon hunting). On other joining pre-configured missions are much simpler (if possible). You just list or search for given keywords.

1 hour ago, quxier said:

When I want to farm something specific from Zariman bounties (e.g. Gyre) I had to go to Zariman and pick right mission & frame combination. 

Which is exactly why I think bouties suck as a whole system. But I would rather continue having bounties and Zariman missions without bounties, than what OP suggested and empty dead Zariman with bounties.

The difference that my idea bring is that playing regular mission rewards items from droptable.
Open worlds would reward tokens and you can just buy exactly what you need. 

2 hours ago, quxier said:

When I would go to Open world with random mission as you suggested I would have to load it first. Then I go to some random location and see if I like mission. Ok. Skip. Go to other place. Skip. Go to another place.. ok.. mission is fine but I need to change frame. It's very cumbersome.

No. First of all, you would know what the mission is once it is offered. You don't need to go there, if you don't want it.
You are saying it as if we currenlty have ANY say into what kind of bounty stage we do. :)

Honestly, you actually made me reconsider. There wouldn't be a skip button. You would be just fed regular bounty mission and if there were gathering tasks (like mining) it would be optional, for extra Tokens, so you can easily ignore it. Solved. Even the team coordination problem.

On 2022-10-22 at 1:52 AM, Cerikus said:
On 2022-10-21 at 11:43 PM, quxier said:

No. First of all, you would know what the mission is once it is offered. You don't need to go there, if you don't want it.

But how I would know that? Navigation doesn't show any info on bounties or Open world in general (just cycle and if events are active).

On 2022-10-22 at 1:52 AM, Cerikus said:

You are saying it as if we currenlty have ANY say into what kind of bounty stage we do. :)

No, I said I had to load Openworld/hub to see infos.

Hey Brin, great to see you posting. I like the idea here but I think that it also goes against what players want out of gameplay. From a pure adventure perspective, sure this sounds like a lot of fun, but what players expect out of the game and the strategies the majority of players adopt when going into content don't really gel well with what you've delivered here. 

If this was framed as an endgame addition to the Zariman then sure, it'd be workable. Endurance missions are the unofficial (gameplay wise) endgame right now so have at it, but this cannot be a replacement for the current nodes.

1 hour ago, quxier said:

But how I would know that? Navigation doesn't show any info on bounties or Open world in general (just cycle and if events are active).

No, I said I had to load Openworld/hub to see infos.

I am gonna just do a quick recap of my point/suggestion, because it seems we don't understand each other.

Currently in the game:
- Open worlds are liveless. There is nothing happening.
- Only way to get something to happen is to turn the content ON by starting a bounty.
- You have several rotating randomized bounties with rotating droptables.
- You know nothing about the current droptables and bounties, unless you load into Hub/openworld and take a look.
- That sucks.

I suggest:
- No bounties, no droptables, no turning content on.
- You load in the open world and it starts endlessly giving you random bounty tasks. From those you get openworld specific resources and tokens.
- In between the tasks you can occasionally get a optional bonus objective (fishing, mining, conservation). The interaction would be something like: "Tenno, capture the grineer drone, I need the data, but before you do it, you can get 10 fish. People are starving". You can either fish for a minute or ignore it and go directly to the drone.
- When you feel like you farmed enough, you can return to hub, exchange tokens for standing and buy whatever you need from specific vendors.

If openworld would be that, I would 100% support the idea OP has, because that would be cool.

On 2022-10-21 at 8:12 AM, Cerikus said:

What you describe is a living world and I love that concept, but DE sadly don't do living worlds.

All open worlds are dead. Nothing is happening anywhere... It's very easy to experience the emptiness and livelessness of open worlds if you just load into them without a specific objective in mind. You will just stand there and nothing will happen. Openworlds should be a mission without bounties or droptables, in which you load in and it starts feeding you random objectives.

DE don't design that way, they have an empty map and player has to turn the content on by starting a bounty.

I fear that your concept would meet a similar fate. Zariman would be an empty ship and the only thing you could do is to turn on the bounties.
For that reason I don't think your concept is a good idea.

So, basically, you're complaining about the fact that the open worlds are boring and lifeless, because nothing is happening and you know what to expect. 

On this modified Zariman proposal, you don't have that. The Zariman constantly shifts around you, getting lost is a constant risk, and the Void Manifestations that haunt the Zariman are highly, highly, highly unpredictable. You don't know what to expect, and as a result missions into the Zariman become a lot more interesting... and a whole lot more freaky.

On 2022-10-21 at 9:22 AM, (PSN)chris1pat8twins said:

Interesting...

We see strange, silvery growths all over the place in the Zariman... what if there was an entire section of the zariman that consisted entirely of these growths?

Basically, this:

Rachel Tillman - System Shock 2 - Body of the Many

Meets this:

Marco Hasmann - Online Portfolio - Warframe - Zariman Environments

This section could contain a ton of smaller Void Angels that leap out of the walls or floor to attack you, ambushing you from out of nowhere. It could also give DE an opportunity to experiment with an enviornment that has non-euclidean geometry.

1 hour ago, Brinstar7777 said:

On this modified Zariman proposal, you don't have that. The Zariman constantly shifts around you, getting lost is a constant risk, and the Void Manifestations that haunt the Zariman are highly, highly, highly unpredictable. You don't know what to expect, and as a result missions into the Zariman become a lot more interesting... and a whole lot more freaky.

You have missed my point a little bit. What I was trying to say is that your proposal is something DE seem to not want to do in Warframe or maybe don't know how to do it.

Open worlds were also originaly meant to be dynamic locations, where you don't know what to expect. Things were supposed to be constantly happening. During day Plains were supposed to be easy, but staying over night was meant to be scary, difficult and challanging. Railjack was also supposed to be dynamic thing, where each mission was supposed to have different tasks and circumstances. And look how it all ended. 

DE simply don't do dynamic content. They do randomized content, which is nice and it works well for missions in tilesets, but doesn't work for large areas that has to be filled with dynamic content. Every mission in Warframe is the same. Regardless if it's tileset or open world.

Again I want to say that I love your idea. However I fear that any kind of Zariman-openworld-dynamic hybrid would end badly and make Zariman worse than it is now.

-> I really like what you suggest and I want something like that in game. However it would be the first content of this type in the game and for that I don't belive it would end up in a success. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am.

Archived